It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Psychotropic drugs, mass killings, and gun control

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: NihilistSanta

It's not the responsibility nor should it be for a teacher to raise a child. Nor a doctor. It is the parents' alone.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: NickK3

Do you want to know the number one drug that people are under the influence of in cases of homicide and manslaughter?

You don't need a prescription. And you can get it at the gas station down the street in most states...

Yeah, booze...

Try banning that again. It has no medicinal value.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear

The teachers are the ones recommending that a child see the school counselor or a psychiatrist because they are 5 and wont sit still so I think the teachers are partly responsible.

In regards to your instances with your doctor. That is all fine and good but your dr is handing out meds with incomplete scientific backing. Research any of the meds you are on yourself and you will find that its like they just take a shot in the dark. If something works than great but they don't understand why. They don't know if mental illness is genetic , or environment or a combination of both.

There is no real pathology at work here because they don't have an understanding of the causes let alone cures.

In the documentary I watched they delved into electro shock treatments. It is funny because people were horrified by this treatment so eventually they began to sedate the patients before electro shock. Not for the benefit of the patient but for the benefit of those watching. The whole origin of electro shock just shows how rooted in pseudoscience the whole field is.

Again when we talk about disease or illness we generally find a biological cause for such. With mental illness there is no such thing. Granted people are born with neurological deformities and have brain injuries and such but for the mom with depression there is no effort to even study her brain or chemistry they just throw unproven meds at someone til they are sedated enough not to complain about their "symptoms" .

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
The documentary I keep referring to was made by Scientology advocates and is associated with their psychology museum however the information contained within is very revealing and can be independently verified. Granted the church of Scientology has an obvious agenda in that they want to be the providers of "mental health" but at the same time their info regarding modern pharmacology and mental health treatments is spot on.

Here is the documentary if anyone wishes to view it.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Manchurian candidate comes to mind. I've been saying this since Columbine. We all know that not just drugs, but alcohol can leave one open to suggestion. Whose to say these drugs, being pushed by big pharma who also have a vested interest in our government, are not designed for this specific purpose? Let's say there are a special set of conditions that allow for the control and influence of the subject ingesting these medications. They have to do mass prescriptions to get enough sampling to know who reacts the way they want. When they find someone who reacts the right way, bingo! They launch the next attack. All to further the gun control agenda.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Absolute BS.
Those guys are bat # crazy.
While not perfect I know many people who think their meds are a gift from God, It helps them get by and have a normal life.
Scientology BS on ATS good luck with that.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

I am not advocating Scientology so lets get that clear. Just because the people they give meds to experience some relief does not mean it is because of the meds. Most of these people are hypochondriacs that develop a dependency on these drugs to feel "normal" whatever normal is.

You have dismissed the docu without even watching it. Watch a few minutes and then search out some of the information presented you will find it quite true. As well you can not get passed the interviews they did with psychiatrist. Just watch it and you will understand. I already stated we know what the agenda of Scientology is but that does not mean they can not present good information.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

Absolute BS.
Those guys are bat # crazy.
While not perfect I know many people who think their meds are a gift from God, It helps them get by and have a normal life.
Scientology BS on ATS good luck with that.

Good Monkey,

You said what I didn't have to. Banana daquaris on me tonight.
Scientologists also believe in Xenu and Tom Cruise.

And Santa...yes, they are full of B.S. there are countless survivors who have escaped to tell the tale. They are like Christian Scientists, they do not seek medical attention in almost ANY circumstance let alone mental illness. Thereby their credibility is zero. Break a leg...believe and it will heal. Malaria? You just have bad feelings harbored up, give us a couple thousand dollars and believe in yourself...

edit on 30-5-2014 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   

I have watched it before...full of mumbo jumbo.
They are nuts and also crooks so why should I give them any respect at all.
I have gone on marches against these guys and have seen their dirty tricks.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   

You didn't even watch it. There is no Scientology presented in the documentary. There is a small bit at the end recommending you check out the psychiatry museum but that is it.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Made by the CCHR which was made by the Scientologists in 1969.

Of course they don't mention Scientology otherwise no one would watch the garbage.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Way to get off topic without verifying any of the info. It is no wonder people just follow directions they lack independent thought and base decisions on emotional prejudices.

You say you watched the documentary how about you refute some of its claims with facts instead of your prejudices. I used to live in Clearwater, Fl and those freaks were everywhere since they have a HQ there. I understand they are a cult and such but again it is very simple to not be swayed by propaganda when you independently verify information. Christ.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: NihilistSanta

You didn't even watch it. There is no Scientology presented in the documentary. There is a small bit at the end recommending you check out the psychiatry museum but that is it.

See above why I do not need to.
Sorry. We can respectfully agree to disagree.

And as I said before, psychology is far from perfected. In the early days, it was quite medieval. I live right down the road from pennhurst. I was in the psychiatric ward in a Pennsylvania jail...even today, they strap people immobile in a chair rather than treat them.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   

You said the key words. Medical attention. There is no medical attention in psychiatry because there is no biological disease that causes mental illness.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   

It is not respect when you ignore information presented to you but I digress. You two have managed to take the thread off topic in order to support you bias which has 0 to do with the information presented. Fortunately other posters can make decisions for themselves based on analyzing information. Good day.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: NihilistSanta

You said the key words. Medical attention. There is no medical attention in psychiatry because there is no biological disease that causes mental illness.

It HAS BEEN PROVEN THAT BRAIN CHEMISTRY AFFECTS BEHAVIOR. FACT. Medical fact documented. Sorry i like science over L.Ron Hubbard's bad sci-fi. And no we did not take this thread off track. We are simply defending our stance that medication is not the issue. It's the person (sorry Monkey if I'm putting words in your mouth feel free to correct me).

...and I am not a hypochondriac. I have a legitimately documented by medical doctors specializing in neurology and psychiatry a chemical imbalance in my brain.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   

You didn't review the information therefore your argument is based on ignorance.

So the OP says that these drugs are affecting the behavior of individuals negatively then you come back and post "It HAS BEEN PROVEN THAT BRAIN CHEMISTRY AFFECTS BEHAVIOR. FACT."

Duh!. The issue isn't whether brain chemistry affects behavior it is the affect of the drugs on the brain chemistry which often is not analyzed when making the diagnosis and prescribing treatment. Why because there is no medical basis to determine what is correct brain chemistry for an individual.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Yeah you are right many things can cause mental illness.

www.webmd.com...

He is right that mental illness is not a disease as such as in you can't catch it from anyone but their are loads of things that effects our brain chemistry.

Yeah the poster is just ill-informed and doesn't know anything about the field...

We have not taken it off topic we are presenting a different view.
I hate people dissing meds which help people and tbh It doesn't help people who are taking their meds and reading this.
I have seen what stopping the meds can do...not pretty.
Oh and btw I worked in the fields for years and still do but with people with autism.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   

It's the illness…not the treatment.

Agreed. Which the "treatment" may only amplify over time. Like someone else said, what would happen if everyone went off their meds all at once?

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Yes it is trial and error no one is saying it isn't.
If you suffer from mental illness It may take years to discover the right dosage for you.
It is a feild less than a 100 years old we have so much to learn.
I can't remember the mod who has suffered from mental illness on ATS but he wrote a very good post on how they have saved his life.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join