It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Psychotropic drugs, mass killings, and gun control

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 10:42 PM
link   
psy·cho·tro·pic [sahy-koh-troh-pik]
affecting mental activity, behavior, or perception, as a mood-altering drug.
noun
a psychotropic drug, as a tranquilizer, sedative, or antidepressant.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I always wondered why when I was a kid (40-50 years ago) we never had these mass killings. People had guns back then, but they never just went out and shot large groups of random people and then shot themselves like it happens so often these days.

Then I saw this article :

Every mass shooting over last 20 years has one thing in common... and it's not guns
Learn more: www.naturalnews.com...

and realized these drugs didn't exist back then, they're relatively modern. I found this article with a very casual search on the subject from the INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY FOR ETHICAL PSYCHOLOGY AND PSYCHIATRY:

Statement on the Connection Between Psychotropic Drugs and Mass Murder:
www.psychintegrity.org...

Now I am having trouble with why almost no one has mentioned this at all -
we have a national very divisive debate on gun control and no mention of what appears to be driving these people to mass murders and suicide!

Maybe these drugs represent too much profit to risk the sales loss that would result from mass disclosure of what they can do, maybe the argument would be "these drugs help so many people we can't stop using them" which in other words means -
it's ok to drug people into being homicidal maniacs in such pain they have to kill themselves too - we'll just take away their means to kill people (guns) and it's all good.

I'm an engineer and find that it's always better to solve the problem at the source than to apply countless band-aids in a effort to lessen the effect or cover it up...

What do you think

edit on 29-5-2014 by NickK3 because: added psychotropic definition

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 10:48 PM
link   
a reply to: NickK3

it's ok to drug people into being homicidal maniacs in such pain they have to kill themselves too - we'll just take away their means to kill people (guns) and it's all good.

Better take away cars too while we're at it. Elliot used both in Santa Barbara, didn't he?

ETA: Sorry, more to the point…

Drugs are prescribed to people that already have some underlying problem. Some of these people are tinder boxes anyway. Blaming drugs per se is like blaming guns. Imo, neither of these things caused the mind set of a person caught in the grips of mental anguish.

edit on 29-5-2014 by intrptr because: additional

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Then again in your day, it was common just to put the mentally ill in insane asylums and just forget about them.
Should i also mention electroshock and lobotomies?

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   
double post
edit on 29-5-2014 by TheToastmanCometh because: my phone is a ship sandwich on lies

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 11:04 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Drugs are prescribed to people that already have some underlying problem. Some of these people are tinder boxes anyway. Blaming drugs per se is like blaming guns. Imo, neither of these things caused the mind set of a person caught in the grips of mental anguish.

That's kinda my take on the whole thing. There are so many people taking the same drugs that don't have have crazy ass reactions.

Agree that these drugs are very bad for certain people. They are also very good for the majority that take them.

I think it's dangerous to suggest that there aren't a multitude of reasons why these horrible things happen.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Remember back then? You didn't have to lock your doors and windows up either. Maybe people need all those drugs so they don't have to live in fear.

Seriously ... if people didn't have to rely on the law for protection (which I know doesn't work) maybe they'd be less in need of drugs to calm themselves down all the time. The fear we pumped in our kids a-la "Stranger=Danger" may have been the wrong course of action.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Others have noticed this before but for political reasons (gun grabbing agenda?) the focus is never discussed in the media.

If you look at the documentation that accompanies prescriptions like these they state that they don't know how the drugs work or even why in most cases. I watched a documentary a couple of months back and even though there was an agenda being presented in the documentary it was evident from the interviews that they did with psychiatrist from all over the world attending some convention in New York that they have no understanding of mental illness. They don't know the causes or how to treat it. In another segment they sent "normal" people to multiple psychiatrist and each one gave different meds and diagnosisis. How would that work in a hospital?

The problem is that for whatever reason the psychological field was able to integrate into medicine which somehow legitimized a whole lot of theory and quackery that had no scientific grounds or backing and has continued til this day. Just look at the DSM-V and the whole list of new conditions they come out with all the time yet they have no better understanding of mental illness than they did in the 50s and have created an entire sector that is given tremendous power over peoples lives.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:04 AM
link   
There is a similarity in these mass kid killers; they were diagnosed at a very young age with ADD or ADHD on put on drugs. Their parents were 'busy', and appeared to lack time for nurturing.
These kids were LONELY. They didn't feel at home in the world, and nobody 'understood' or related to them.
When a person is consumed with emotional pain, it will eventually come out. Doesn't seem like any of these kids had coping skills to deal with their problems.
They isolated themselves- and the more isolated one is, the greater your pain will seem.

They're putting kids as young a TWO YEARS OLD on psychotropic drugs, for god's sake! Yes, some people benefit from and need medication. Probably 1/100th of the people that take them should.
Kids are plugging into an alternate electronic reality at a very young age, starting with the TV 'babysitter' ; I don't find it surprising that some of them have no coping skills for living in the 'real' world.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:10 AM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

The fact that they would attempt to put children as young as 2 on psychiatric meds is chilling. How exactly do they determine this? The personality , motor skills etc etc have not even fully developed. It just shows how there is no substance to it and most of the time you have family doctors prescribing psychiatric meds to people with little to no understanding.

I completely agree that this comes down to lazy parenting , and even lazy teachers, doctors , social workers and on. The whole society is too lazy to raise its own children or ensure they receive the proper nurturing and is just looking for an easy way to make the kids sit down and shut up so the parents can drink some wine, pop a xanax and watch desperate housewives.

Added* - Here is a question for people . If you are on psychiatric medications what testing did you undergo to determine the need for your medications? My money is on a verbal list of vague symptoms with corresponding yes or no answers with little or no testing done ever.
edit on 30-5-2014 by NihilistSanta because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: NickK3
psy·cho·tro·pic [sahy-koh-troh-pik]
I always wondered why when I was a kid (40-50 years ago) we never had these mass killings.

Yes, they did. This is not a new phenomenon. www.crimelibrary.com... Charles Whitman is just one example.

The difference is that in 2014 we live in a very connected society. Information literally travels at the speed of light, and 24/7 news networks report around the clock.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 01:23 AM
link   
They are not at ALL safe if you have NORMAL brain Chemestry.A regular Physician CANNOT identify that it is only a psychiatrist who can do that.

Lots of us know this I did a thread:www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Im more worried about people with drugs in their bloodstream and Snoop Doggy Poo bouncing around their head than ssri killers sorry.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 02:07 AM
link   
I'm sure there is some contribution into the debacle by drugs but still like other posters have mentioned, it is only a piece of the puzzle.
The only real solution is admitting that sometimes nuts crack after they have fallen from the tree.
Therefore the only real solution is vigilance, be aware that there are psycho's out there and dress accordingly.
I have an ensemble for any occasion!

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 02:36 AM
link   
While I agree many are using meds before other avenues are looked into and kids so young shouldn't be taking them I have to say a couple of things.
You are an engineer you look at a problem and solve it logically when someone is mentally unwell you can't just do one thing and sort the problem out. Meds are just a small part of mental health treatment what will work for one will not work for another.
I have seen them do wonders but it can take years to find the right dosage right for that person.
Now coming from the UK we have a health system which to me is less corruptible and while I think it happens I don't think Doctors here push drugs for monitory gain it may be different elsewhere.
Also another point is the latest shooter didn't take his medication and refused to go back into therapy...can you imagine If all the people suffering from mental health issues stopped taking the meds which worked for them?.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I think when negative feelings and perceptions are ignored in lieu of sedating or otherwise obfuscating them, they manifest in extremely abnormal ways after a number of years. Especially when exacerbated by the maelstrom of adolescent and early-adult hormones and the challenges of cultural integration. But stuffing down those feelings and perceptions is big business, and TPTB find the blood worth the money.

There was a time when people simply learned to deal with their psychological demons through counseling and soul-searching. Some learned well, while others extinguished their own fires. But they didn't take 14 people with them.

It's a shame that man can't accept they are a part of nature, and as a by-product of that station, the phrase "nature is cruel" applies to them as well as the animal eaten alive on the Serengeti. People just want to FEEL safe, and they will pay anything for that. It's a shame, but one outcome of delusional thought is the desire for others to perceive that same delusion.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

The fear we pumped in our kids a-la "Stranger=Danger" may have been the wrong course of action.

I think the parents fear pump is powered by the mass media more than just parenting. By that I mean Hollywood movies for instance; monsters and demons, crime and murder are the stuff of just about every blockbuster they turn out. The politicians and their war on terror with alert level caution bars, the news constantly filling our heads with stories of bad beef, flu viruses, mass murder, destructive storms, etc. Anything to sell a news spot "after the commercial break".

Then we tell our kids about all this bad stuff awaiting around every corner, no wonder they cringe or disconnect into the fake computer world. The real one is too terrifying and or uncertain. The net result of that "upbringing" is a lot more worry and less experience, learning little about developing skills to cope with life's inevitable emotional upsets.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: NihilistSanta

Just look at the DSM-V and the whole list of new conditions they come out with all the time yet they have no better understanding of mental illness than they did in the 50s and have created an entire sector that is given tremendous power over peoples lives.

The perfect medical storm? Hopefully, staff gave you an applause for that one.

Seems the modern world is more and more the result of our ignorant-denial-knee jerk reactions to ordinary life situations.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Better take away cars too while we're at it. Elliot used both in Santa Barbara, didn't he?

ETA: Sorry, more to the point…

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

With the hundreds of thousands if not millions of people prescribed antidepressants or antianxiety medications, you would think there would be more killing...

It's the illness...not the treatment.

Besides, thousands of people murder others in heinous ways that AREN'T on medication.
...sometimes they use guns, too. Did the gun make them do it? Or the machete? Or the baseball bat?

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Personally, I had good insurance and was analyzed and treated by a board certified neurologist/psychiatrist. Not everyone is as fortunate in the US. But the insurance industry is a scam and is making more money now than ever...even with the ACA...why do you think they let it pass? Why did Clinton's single payer plan fail with a democratic congress?

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Just look at the DSM-V and the whole list of new conditions they come out with all the time yet they have no better understanding of mental illness than they did in the 50s and have created an entire sector that is given tremendous power over peoples lives.

The perfect medical storm? Hopefully, staff gave you an applause for that one.

Seems the modern world is more and more the result of our ignorant-denial-knee jerk reactions to ordinary life situations.

I do agree somewhat that the psychology community is a little wonky. The DSM 5 did give us "affluenza". And homosexuality was considered a mental disorder into the '70's...it's far from perfect.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join