It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDR's June 24, 1938 fireside chat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Do not let any calamity-howling executive with an income of $1,000 a day, who has been turning his employees over to the Government relief rolls in order to preserve his company's undistributed reserves, tell you...that a wage of $11 a week is going to have a disastrous effect on all American industry.

You can read the whole thing here.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. I implore you to take Roosevelt's advice on raising wages in America.
edit on 25-5-2014 by links234 because: I should've know that whole thing would've fit in the title.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   
11 bucks in that time would be the equivalent of about 160 today. Them's slim pickin's. Repent! Quit your job! Slack off! We could collectively shut this bitch down.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: links234

Interesting. What about my wage though? I already make as much as the recent call for a $25 hour wage last week. Do I get over a 100% raise from my existing salary too? Even if it's only 25%, I'd sure think that was more fair, and definitely take it.

Or does my life and line of work just get pushed even further downwards?

The salary system is fundamentally broken. A new way to promote free society, and advancement, must be considered.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Not Authorized

It is fundamentally broken. Automation will destroy our economy. We get better, smarter, faster AI every year. It seems inevitable that we can continue on this path without something like a basic income. That's a separate argument for the increase in minimum wage though.

Generally the argument for raising the minimum wage is what basic necessities, on average, cost an individual. Inflation has outpaced the minimum wage and has for years now. What my OP is arguing, as you seem to have missed it, is that we can afford a few dollars more for the individuals at the very bottom of the income ladder. We have millions of people who work 40 hours/week and still qualify for food stamps and welfare. This is a prime example of employers paying so low that their employees need to supplement their income in the form of public assistance.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   

I agree it is broken. I agree with all of it. Minimum wage, inflation, etc. All of it. You're absolutely right.

But why remain in a system of interest at all? Interest is usury. It siphons our wealth away to the banks, and thus, to the coffers of the whatever word they name it that ends in y that future historians will call us.

Could we learn from other financial systems prior to the cartel of private banks? Like say, tally sticks? Could it, be learned from and modernized?

There should be basics. Why stop at basic income. Shouldn't we be calling for basic needs? We live in 2014. No one should have to worry about food, clothing, water, and energy anymore.

You recognize the problem. I recognize how it will resurrect, even if "defeated".
edit on 25-5-2014 by Not Authorized because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-5-2014 by Not Authorized because: Keyboard with a mind of its own

edit on 25-5-2014 by Not Authorized because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Roosevelt is your typical american politician. He says one thing, but he means another. Thomas Jefferson set this standard in 1776 when he wrote "all men are created equal" (and men is an all-inclusive term for both women and men like the plural of men and women in vernacular languages), and yet, did he set his slaves free or did he let his wife have autonomy? Nope. Nope. Nope. Gotta love Americans. Hypocrites.

Why anyone in this country likes Jefferson, Jackson, Roosevelt, Truman, (well, before I type 95% of US Presidents) is beyond me....

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Roosevelt was a total S'Bag - he confiscated gold at $20.00 an ounce from private citizens in 1933 & once they got all the Gold out of the compliant public - he turns around and raises the price of Gold to $35.00 an ounce.

It's like we are going to rip off your Gold under penalty of jail & in turn once we get your Gold jack the price up and make a butt load off of it.

Heck of a guy!

DR’s 1933 Gold Confiscation was a Bailout of the Federal Reserve Bank
edit on 25-5-2014 by BABYBULL24 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 12:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Not Authorized

But why remain in a system of interest at all? Interest is usury. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Interest is supposed to be rent. A person, the lender, has extra cash and nothing to spend it on right now. Another person, the borrower, can use that cash if he pays rent for it. The longer the borrower takes to pay the money back, the more rent he will pay.

Interest is not supposed to be a control mechanism of the whole country, because no one has all of the money in the whole country and never will.

The monetary system is a scam.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 12:14 AM
link   

The chat begins with a lie. The first sentence is false, the United States is not a Democracy--the US is a Republic. Then it alternates, true sentence, false sentence--the progressives are not liberal, they are social Democrats, true sentence.

The first paragraph is 50% lies.

Why don't the liberals call themselves what they are-- Social Democrats?

edit on 26-5-2014 by Semicollegiate because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Semicollegiate

Amen. I have nothing to add.

top topics

join