It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Shed 2

page: 95
<< 92  93  94    96  97  98 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Maybe you can refresh my memory since Google isn't helping. Back in the 80's I was reading a series I believe by Terry Prichart?. It was humorous and had a lot of wordplay in it. It also crossed the line between the RL and fantasy. Pre Harry Potter so to speak. (I haven't read that series though, just seen the first flick)

I'm also a fan of Harry Harrison (The Stainless Steel Rat) and Douglas Adams (RIP). I also enjoyed the Vince Flynn novels (again, RIP), hell, I could go on. I do love my history books, but try to alternate them with fiction. About the only thing you woun't catch me reading is a romance novel. Too many hugs in those.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Good Morning everyone.

Cody! Good to see ya back, and that you had fun! Nice to see that.

To You and everyone else, I hope you all have a great day!

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: SyxPak

Looking back I see everybody was pretty busy yesterday with RL. It's still summer after all.

And your joke...drool man, drool.

I'm declaring my Monday to be my Sunday! A day of rest.
edit on 4-8-2014 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

LOL Dawg! Yah it was a busy day for us here too. And the knock knock, corny man corny. LOL!!

You get yer truck all done yet? or is it one of those, drive, repair, drive repair. As I know this from a couple of my past vehics! LOL!

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   

It's paid off. Of course it's drive, repair, drive, repair. I did the winterization thing, but put off the summerization thing...just in time to do the winterization thing again.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Oh, Man, you said the 'W' word! Tsk, Tsk!

The only 'ization' things I do to mine is, well none. Lack of money thing. LOL.
It's a 92' Chevy Astro, and keeps on ticking...... Looks good for it's age too. Better than me! LOL!!!

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   

The thing is...and it's not much of a plan, but it it is a plan. I buy the things I need for my truck as I think need them and put them on when when the time comes. Replacing the Tranny, Differentials or engine is above and beyond that plan though.

I have plenty of vehicle fluids on hand, belts, gaskets, filters, plugs, etc. I buy 'em as I can afford them and then go full tilt at it at least twice a year once I have everything I need. If ya wait till the last second, then it becomes expensive. Maybe it's the prepper in me.
edit on 4-8-2014 by TDawgRex because: Just a ETA

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Your methods seem to be sound there Bud. It does make sense to get items, here and there. But for us, there is always something more important, at the time, to get. Yah I know we will pay for that, probably soon enough, but it is what it is......
Till then, keepin fingers crossed! LOL!

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Luckily, I'm single. But buying a item here and there isn't that hard. It's a twice a year maintenance thing after all. Nothing as bad as hoarding water and beans to get ya through hard times. You just have to convince CC of that. Why spend all that money on a vehicle and then not maintain it? Buying a new one is a hell of lot more expensive. Especially if you have one that is good to you.

Just look at all the old cars on the auction blocks going for fat cash. Their previous owners took care of them and they all have high mileage for the most part.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: TDawgRex
a reply to: cody599

While you were wearing them out, were the activities wearing you down as well?
You know, the old dog trying to keep up with the pups sort of thing.

I used to say, quite often, "Thank Dawg that vacation is over so I can get back to work and relax.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.......................Yeah I was absolutely shattered LOL but didn't let on

I put my back out at the theme park and tried to hide it, didn't do too well at that

But I'm used to long days and hard work, the kidlings thought an 8 A.M. start was early LMAO. For me 6:30 is a lie in so I was rearing to go every morning, and of course stayed with then until they slept.

Kids huh ................................... aint got the stamina

This was a typical shot of my boy as I drove

Cody LOL

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   

I hate to tell ya bud, but you can only keep up the facade for so long. Life will always catch up with ya. I live a hours drive from Cedar Point, home of some of the best rollercoasters in the world. My folks live within a 1/2 hour drive of one of the best water parks in the world as well. Wisconsin Dells.

As much as I would like to play in either place all day long...the back won't allow it.

I'm sure you've heard it before. "It SUCKS getting older!"

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   

It may have hurt Dawg but it was well worth it my friend. Just to see the kids having such a good time was pain killer enough for me.

I'm 47 but hell I felt 67 after that day LOL.

I'll be sure to let you know if I decide to grow up ..................................... don't hold your breathe my friend

I just found a new lease of life

Cody

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Oh...I know the feeling. My brain tells me I'm still young and my body attempts (emphasis on the word "Attempts") to fulfill its wishes.

But I have learned to slow down just a tad. Though there are times even that is not enough. But I keep on doin' what I'm doin'.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Gordi The Drummer

Ok Gordi. I've translated for ya before. Now translate this form another post.

Wahl....it'sa gud thang youns' not be ahn tha rahd then lookin' fer tha next gas station, eh?

That thar is 'bout a middlin' distance down the rahd. Take a raght at the 'ol oak tree, unteel ya come to a elm tree. Now that tree is not on the corner mind you, but rather set a back a bit. So you be shore to pay attention. At the elm, ya take anuther rahgt and mossie across the holler fer a coupla miles.

Tha gas station will be on yer left whens ya come to a T intersection.

But ah don't think Clems open at this here hour.

D'yee accept tha challenge?

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Terry Pratchett

Creator of the Discworld, upon which many of his works play out, with various characters, some of which (most) have several book long story cycles. Arguably the most famous of these characters in book circles at least, is the feckless, and utterly inept wizard, Rincewind, if I recall correctly.

en.wikipedia.org...

Linkage will take you to the data bud.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Thanks True! I didn't think of using Wiki. (That's the easy and often misaligned way out). I'd like to revisit those tomes again. Just for old times sake. They were amusing at the time.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Heh...

I did not use the Wiki. I used my brain for all the salient points, and then just shot you the link in case my references did not spark off a neuron response in your brain. The scale of the works of Terry Pratchett are such, that a person might have read five books of his, and not come across one of his better loved characters, and so I thought it wise to provide the link in addition to my memories.

I actually own several of those books myself, and my brother in law has pretty much all of them. He and I share books. Therefore I have read the entire discworld to date, as far as I can tell.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   

LIAR! You did use wiki as you provided the link!

But that's ok. I appreciate the effort.

Just on a off chance, maybe you are familiar with another trilogy. This one dealt with a peaceful guy being abducted by aliens off Belize, fighting a war. They found that even though he was a fairly mellow guy, into music and such, he was also capable of raising holy hell when need be. They were looking to recruit humans into their war as they had no stomach for it.

I cannot remember the name of the series, but I do remember one of the sentient beings looked pretty much like a stork.

I also remember, that at the end of the series, pretty much the entire civilized galaxy feared humankind. That we were something none had ever encountered and were unprepared to deal with.

Pisses me off that I can't remember that series. I could even draw you the cover of the first book...but when it comes to the name. I'm lost.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   

I have no idea on that one TDawg, but if you would be so kind as to let me know what it is called, if you ever figure it out, I would really appreciate that, because that sounds like just the sort of sternum smashing, liver transecting, spine crushing, break something's arms off and stab them to death with the broken shards of their forearms kind of a read, that I love!

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   

I guess I'm going to have to corner a librarian then, as Google is not helping at all. It is a fun read though.

If I call though, will you bail me out? Our towns constabulary is right next door to the library.

And in this case, Google ain't helping worth a [SNIP].

top topics

<< 92  93  94    96  97  98 >>

join