It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big hair women. Cut your hair!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 04:32 AM
link   
My hair is just like this picture, sometimes longer, and same color. I love long hair and would never cut it short.

this is not me btw. Pretty close though.

solargeddon my mom did the same thing when I was young, she has never had long hair.
edit on 14-5-2014 by DaphneApollo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 04:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

originally posted by: Night Star
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha
I had cancer too and lost my hair and it was so traumatic. It is finally long again and I will never cut it!!!!!

I assume you are a woman? I can imagine it's much harder on women than men.

It was truly eerie when mine would get so brittle and damaged that I'd just stand in front of the mirror literally removing it by the fistful. Crazy times.

I'm glad you have your hair back

Thanks. Yes it quite traumatic for women, especially those who had very long hair to begin with. Thank you!!

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 04:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: RUFFREADY
a reply to: Night Star
My wife died May 10th 2010 of cancer. Glad you are made it

I am so very sorry to hear of the loss of your wife. How devastating! My heart goes out to you Honey!!!! HUGS!!

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 05:16 AM
link   
a reply to: droid56

I am a woman in my 40's and I have really long hair, it is past my waist. I have it cut a little shorter at the front underneath my jawbone and graduated down the sides to frame my face a little because it suits me that way. But nobody is getting near a pair of scissors to cut off the length!

I have always had really long hair except for one time I was around 12/13 and I had it cut short and regretted it instantly and cried for a whole week!

Making a statement that women are pressured into having long hair is quite ridiculous.....infact quite the opposite is true. Over the years different hairstyles and trends have come and gone and despite friends or the media representing to me what is considered fashionable and attractive at different times I have stayed true in keeping my hair exactly as I like it.

Having really long hair as a woman is liberating for me...it means I can choose from a huge range of ways to put my hair "up" or leave it down, reflecting my mood at the time. Instead of being stuck with just one particular look.

So you can keep your scissors to yourself, safe in the knowledge that this girl is in no need of your idea of liberation thank you very much

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 05:36 AM
link   
we were doing so well with the 80s soundtrack...

btw Logos... his next "idea of liberation" will be for you to wear a hijab then liberating you into a burka... lol

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 06:20 AM
link   
a reply to: FraternitasSaturni

Indeed.....perhaps next I could consider burning my bra....
But I'm pretty sure that's been done already

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Cut my waist-long hair?
Nope.
I would lose all my secret powers. (I can't tell you what they are...they are secret!)

My twin daughters both have long thick hair too.
A few years ago, one of them thought she was losing her hair...(due to stress, I'm pretty sure.)
I told her that if her hair fell out...I would shave my head, and we would go wig-shopping together.
That is the only circumstance (so far) that I considered getting rid of my hair.

Like so many others already said, I'm an individual...don't conform to societal norms...I wear my hair and my clothing to please myself. If we all looked the same, it would be truly boring, don't you think?

jacygirl

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Just wanted to point out there is a difference between BIG hair and long hair.
I myself have big hair naturally, it is curly and thick and heavy when long. In my twenties my hair length was to my mid-back after having it cut above my shoulders we weighed it. 8lbs of hair had been cut.
However I have come to the conclusion(10+ years later) that this short hair is much more upkeep than I want and will let it grow again.
I cannot stand not being able to pull it back in a pony tail when it is hot outside.

So OP I guess you are one less man I will have to worry about hitting on me. LOL

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Think of us poor blokes though when we are giving you all our attention, hugs, cuddles and the what nots...

Hair gets in a blokes mouth and can choke the poor chap to death... but then again... maybe that is what you ladies are waiting for???... *coughs*

This is what Mrs Rs hair is like right now :

Just grabbable enough (AND NOT GINGER...)

Give me short hair any day...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I have to disagree that there is no societal pressure for women have longer hair.

Long, full, and usually darker hair is what is ingrained in men to see as a good mate- because once upon a time the hinted at fertility (talking caveman times here). I doubt that is the case anymore.

Anyway, I have fought the battle over long vs. short my whole life since I was a teen. My husband prefers my hair longer, and while I do like it, I also like it shorter. I had it the longest it had ever been, last summer, only about to my bra strap across my back. But, the air went out in my car and I got aggravated with the heat and rashly cut it all off. I regretted it, and have let it grow out some (my hair grows incredibly slow, so I kind of have to commit to long/short for a long time). I know my husband didn't like it when I cut it, but he told me he did.

Now I'm growing it out again (finally have a measly ponytail again). It'll take me a few years, with very minimal trims, to get it where it was before. And then you know what? I'll probably get bored and cut it off again! Because, as the OP said, it is liberating! For me, at least!

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I recently got my hair cut short I wanted a change and thought maybe it would be easier to keep up with now I'm
waiting anxiously for it to grow back. I have always had my hair long more recently it was only 3 inches above my waist. I don't feel pressure to keep my hair long at all it is personal preference. It is easier to style and I have more styling options when it is longer. I can also put it up and get it out of my face and off my neck when it is longer. If anything I feel women recently are more pressured to have it short.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I like long hair. Short-haired women seem less feminine to me for some reason.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I don't feel forced to keep my hair long. It comes to the middle of my back and all about the same length because I just trim it from time to time myself. I can't afford to go to a stylist and I would have to, constantly, if I wanted it to be short. Also, I'm not curvy and would look more like a 12 yr old boy if my hair were short. This thread is silly, but I guess I'm bumping it anyway...

Oh I know, the OP must be a stylist and this is a conspiracy to get women to shorten their hair, so they have to spend more money going to a stylist regularly.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   
During my life I had very short hair, medium hair and very long hair. When I was child my hair got so long I could sit on it (there's a picture of me then on my wall if you want to see).......when I became a teenager and started working part time, I spent my first salary at the hairdressers and chopped off my virginal locks.

Until my mid 30s I had all types of hairstyles and colours but I was never really happy with them.......so one day I stopped dying my hair and grew it.

I love having long hair and being proud of its natural colour and texture.....society pressures you to cut and dye your hair, not to grow it.
Like somebody above said, I wear my hair and clothes according to what I like, not fashion......I actually can't stand fashion! lol

edit on 14-5-2014 by Agartha because: To add pic

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I LOVE my long hair plain and simple so does my husband he takes great comfort
in running his hands through my long locks and burying his face in my freshly shampooed hair!
Nope no short hair for this girl thank you.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: droid56

I love my hair long! It's all one length and I've always kept it long. Never felt any pressure to keep it or cut it, but it is a personal issue. Whatever makes you feel beautiful or confident!

edit on 14-5-2014 by Lmm2004 because: Added pic!

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: solargeddon

I've always loved my long hair. As a little girl my mom use to threaten to cut it all off if I didn't take care of it. She never did though.....thank goodness.

But, this was during my tomboy faze when all I wanted to do was play ball, ride dirt bikes and fish.

I think it's a choice really...my sister actually likes hers short and it looks really good on her. I've had really short hair only once and it wasn't by choice either.

My sister offered to trim my dead ends for me and just kept going. We didn't speak for a long time after that.

It just so happened that she did this the summer that the movie GI Jane with Demi Moore came out. Still to this day she jokingly brings up the GI Jane cut she gave me. Obviously it wasn't that severe but, it sure did feel like it at the time.

It went from my mid back almost up to the top of my shoulders.

Thankfully, it's back to my mid back again and super curly.

I love my long curly hair.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Agartha
During my life I had very short hair, medium hair and very long hair. When I was child my hair got so long I could sit on it (there's a picture of me then on my wall if you want to see).......when I became a teenager and started working part time, I spent my first salary at the hairdressers and chopped off my virginal locks.

Until my mid 30s I had all types of hairstyles and colours but I was never really happy with them.......so one day I stopped dying my hair and grew it.

I love having long hair and being proud of its natural colour and texture.....society pressures you to cut and dye your hair, not to grow it.
Like somebody above said, I wear my hair and clothes according to what I like, not fashion......I actually can't stand fashion! lol

You have beautiful hair and are so pretty.

My hair is a bit similar but just a little bit curlier. Sometimes curly is good but some days...it's just a pain in the butt. I call those days.....hair in a bun days.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Lmm2004

Wow! You have beautiful hair too.

And you look so much like my sister-in-law that it's almost spooky.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

I used to wear my hair long (past the shoulders) until I started taking chemo for cancer treatment. After it grew back, I kept it short. It just seems pointless for me to grow it long, knowing that at any moment, it could be gone

All things are temporary, don't hold on too tight. But enjoy while it lasts

I'm not a Buddhist but I can understand why the shaving of the head is done. By the time I had my first surgery (ovarian cancer) I had already shaved my head. It reminded me that the essence of who I am has nothing to do with my hair or my clothes. I got used to my face and have found beauty in the starkness of it.

Long, short, grey or anything in between, it can indeed change in an instant.

I am grateful for today.

Penny

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join