It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big hair women. Cut your hair!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 01:48 AM
link   
a reply to: snarky412

I'm lost.. oh ..my hair is really long
oh my..

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Hehehehe... couldn't resist:

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Crap!! What happened!!

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 01:57 AM
link   
a reply to: droid56

I'm not what you might consider an average woman as far as societal norms go but I'll put in my 2 cents.

I'm an artist and consider my hair and my body an extension of my art. I've had all manner of hair styles from shaved completely, a bright pink mohawk, long and short and everything in between. Now it's down to my waist auburn and grey. I love it long at the moment so it can be woven and played with in that way and it's well on it's way to white which will be a new color to experiment with. Interestingly, as women age the pressure to cut it short is more common. So no, I personally do not feel any societal pressure to keep my hair long.

I will say that as a teen the pressure is less societal and more of a close peer group thing. Have you noticed that younger girls who share the same friend group tend to have similar hairstyles, long or short. In the eighties the big thing was a short bob ala Molly Ringwald.

Another influence would be a religious one. In these cases the hair is considered a gift and should be kept long and meant only for the eyes of the husband or immediate family.

So it seems to be a case of more intimate friendships and age that most influence hairstyles for both men and women, rather than a general societal pressure to conform to the wider norm. But like I said before, I've never been one to conform to societal norms.

Penny

edit on 14-5-2014 by pennylemon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 01:57 AM
link   
a reply to: RUFFREADY

Always liked that song. LOL

It is shocking at times when looking back on the 'Hair Groups' from the 70's & 80's and then seeing the band members today
Despite them being older, many now look like bankers instead of Rock n Rollers with the short hair cuts. HA

Well, with the exception of ....Petty, Jagger, Richards just to name a few

Peter Frampton really looks 'normal' now with no hair

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 02:03 AM
link   

I know right ?
don't leave me

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 02:07 AM
link   

I'll see your Cars and raise you some Rod Stewart.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 02:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

I'll see your Cars and raise you some Rod Stewart.

Oh hell, this is turning out to be a great thread!!!

We can add Rod Stewart to the list of staying the same....hair do and all. LOL

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 02:16 AM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

I am in the danger zone..
I will takes the first that shoots me down

fair ??

edit on 14-5-2014 by RUFFREADY because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 02:20 AM
link   

You had to bring Top Gun into this, didn't you?

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Well ..yes
I did.I was ..

crap it won't let me play an officer and a gentleman..but The first thing I landed on an aircraft carrier ..was a helicopter..no kidding

edit on 14-5-2014 by RUFFREADY because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 02:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: droid56
Do long haired women have long hair because they want to have long hair, or because society pressures them to have long hair? Any women out there have something to say?

My sister's girlfriend used me as a guinea pig in high school, so I've had short hair and actually find longer hair more easily to manage....and yes, more appealing [my husband does like long hair but I had it long when we met years ago]

Another thing for me is at the age of 48, I flat refuse to get the typical middle-aged woman chopped off hair do
Just not my style

I work outdoors in the heat and it's just so easy to pull up in a pony tail or in a clippy

Have you by any chance seen this thread The Truth about Long Hair…….

Pretty interesting read if you haven't read it yet

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 02:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: pennylemon

Another influence would be a religious one. In these cases the hair is considered a gift and should be kept long and meant only for the eyes of the husband or immediate family.

Don't Buddhists in the lamasery shave their heads as an austerity and symbol of renewal? I suppose there is a certain pressure for them to follow those guidelines as well.

When the prince who was to become the Buddha left his palace to seek a way beyond ageing, sickness and death, it is said that one of the first things that he did was to shave off his hair and beard and put on the yellow cloth . Buddhist monks always completely shave their head and beard, showing their commitment to the Holy Life

www.buddhanet.net...

I used to wear my hair long (past the shoulders) until I started taking chemo for cancer treatment. After it grew back, I kept it short. It just seems pointless for me to grow it long, knowing that at any moment, it could be gone

All things are temporary, don't hold on too tight. But enjoy while it lasts

edit on 14-5-2014 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 02:41 AM
link   
I'm lost ..as usual hahaha!!

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 02:48 AM
link   

I used to wear my hair long (past the shoulders) until I started taking chemo for cancer treatment. After it grew back, I kept it short. It just seems pointless for me to grow it long, knowing that at any moment, it could be gone.

I had cancer too and lost my hair and it was so traumatic. It is finally long again and I will never cut it!!!!!

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 02:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
I had cancer too and lost my hair and it was so traumatic. It is finally long again and I will never cut it!!!!!

I assume you are a woman? I can imagine it's much harder on women than men.

It was truly eerie when mine would get so brittle and damaged that I'd just stand in front of the mirror literally removing it by the fistful. Crazy times.

I'm glad you have your hair back

edit on 14-5-2014 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 02:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star
My wife died May 10th 2010 of cancer. Glad you are made it

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 02:56 AM
link   

glad you are made it?? hahaha!! Anyway Damn!!

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Cut my hair!!!

Are you crazy!

It is my long hair and I shall make my own choices, live by my rules.

I'm rather proud of my long hair thank you very much, when I was a child my mother cut my beautiful long hair all off really short, I have spent the best part of my life trying to get it long again.

You make your choices I'll make mine thanks....rest assured I make mine without a backdrop of social conformism.

P.s Needless to say I no longer speak to my mother!

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 04:28 AM
link   
I'll raise you all some MC

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join