It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To Combat Climate Change, Humanity Must Act Now Says Charles Bolden

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 11:21 PM
link   
More Climate Change talk coming from the high ranks only this time, it's coming from the high ranks of NASA.

The latest National Climate Assessment (NCA), which was released by the White House on Tuesday (May 6), is the most comprehensive and authoritative document ever written about how climate change is affecting the United States, Bolden added.

The report doesn't paint a pretty picture.

"Precipitation patterns are changing, sea level is rising, the oceans are becoming more acidic and the frequency and intensity of some extreme weather events are increasing," the NCA states. "The observed warming and other climatic changes are triggering wide-ranging impacts in every region of our country and throughout our economy."

Lets keep this Climate Debate going, ATS!

www.space.com...

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 11:41 PM
link   
The climate has been changing since the earth formed and will continue to change whether humans exist or not. We should simply adapt to the changes like any successful species does.
edit on 2014/5/8 by Metallicus because: sp

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 11:48 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

I think its real, the challenge is what can you do? China has become a major carbon contributor, bigger than us, and no policy we create will change them. In fact their economic success is tied, according to many business people, to their lack of environmental restrictions on business. If we put more on ourselves, would we just end up owing them more more, and increasing their power? Possibly. I think this issue is actually literally beyond the reach of any policymaker at this point.

However if you came up with a technological wonder widget today that creates clean fusion energy, you'd get rid of the problem over night.

So that's actually the challenge of these times: our reality is so defined by technology, that clear minds realize that its tech now, more than policy alone, that's shaping the world. Environmental problems are things we are called on to innovate our way out of. I think policymakers need to do what they can to facilitate this innovation.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Thats one small step for Global Warming , one gaint leap for Climate Change.....

edit on 9-5-2014 by Blowback because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Really? What's the solution? I can think of two.

1. Reduce NASA's funding so they can no longer produce/participate in asinine studies.
2. Start killing people.

I highly doubt mankind is capable of wrecking the climate. Yeah ... I agree we may be polluting a bit, but it's not like anything we're spewing out wasn't here already. I mean, we're not collecting junk from off-planet and depositing here (short of the rocks and dirt NASA itself brought back from their 'hoaxed' moon landings
), right?

I just find myself unable to get behind their BS. Sorry.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Once again I will state: It doesn't matter at all what the cause of climate change is, we have to work to migigate it in any way we can. The current trends are deadly to humanity.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 12:42 AM
link   

a reply to: FyreByrd
It doesn't matter at all what the cause of climate change is

edit on 9-5-2014 by Blowback because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Climate Change is absolutely one of, if not the biggest issue - facing modern-day society.

The problem is, that the topic itself has become so ' lost in translation ' so to speak - and people can't seem to comprehend the reality of what's happening, or seem to grasp the point of the matter when discussing it in the first place.

*Climate Change*
--------------------

^^ Are you following?

It goes like this:

(Below are some typical responses, etc. that you will find
when engaging in a Climate related discussion/debate)

• The Earth has been changing since the start of its existence, and it will continue to do so, regardless of human intervention.

• Anthropogenic Climate Change is a myth; as human-kind hasn't been around long enough, to have any 'real' affect on a planet that has been changing for Billions of years.

• Humanity is incapable of stopping a shifting Climate, and so the best thing to do, would be to 'adapt'.
    Instead of trying to come up with ways to help mitigate the problem; in decreasing some of the negative things people contribute to the Environment.

• Climate Change is a political/corporate farce, aimed at the populations of the world, and orchestrated by TPTB.
    - In an attempt to exploit the masses for financial gain, and/or - for other, more nefarious purposes.

• Al Gore! ~ BLAH!, BLAH!, BLAH! ~
LOL!

Etc... Etc...

The list goes on and on...
is borderline stupid.

Also, yes, adaptation is a MUST. But making attempts to better the Environment and drastically reducing the constant polluting of the worlds oceans, and atmosphere, is paramount in giving people their best opportunity to prevent 'some' of the coming onslaught of severe weather events, cold+hot spells, fires, droughts, floods, you name it... It's simple logic to take care of the place you call home, and whether or not you think it will do any good as far as the Climate goes... It most-certainly wouldn't hurt to stop trashing the damn Earth.

It makes ZERO sense to refute the idea that the Earth is currently experiencing a Climate shift, and to go against the fact that Climate Change is real - especially when the majority of arguments in opposition, are based of the concept that "it has happened before", "People can't do anything about it", "Last winter was a record breaking season", ETC...

I know I'm rambling the same old song here, and the lyrics could go on forever...

But, in conclusion:

The Climate is Changing...

凸 (o_O´)凸
^Deny this, you Climate trolls.

Keep it real.

edit on 9-5-2014 by iunlimited491 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

Really? What's the solution? I can think of two.

1. Reduce NASA's funding so they can no longer produce/participate in asinine studies.
2. Start killing people.

I highly doubt mankind is capable of wrecking the climate. Yeah ... I agree we may be polluting a bit, but it's not like anything we're spewing out wasn't here already. I mean, we're not collecting junk from off-planet and depositing here (short of the rocks and dirt NASA itself brought back from their 'hoaxed' moon landings
), right?

I just find myself unable to get behind their BS. Sorry.

Something's up with the weather; deny it all you want. The consensus is that climate changes-always has-but mankind is accelerating it.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Let's just raid the wallet of every republican and conservative. Use the money to make a bigger, better government that can take action!

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   
The most distressing thing, as I see it, is how the real-world and URGENT problems of atmospheric (i.e carbon monoxide, sulfur dioxide, chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) and nitrogen oxides), marine, and ground pollution, have all been obfuscated, hijacked, and derailed by the hipster fantasy of carbon-dioxide-generated anthropomorphic global warming. Hence, while the house is burning down, we are attempting to put out the porch light with a bubble machine.

Beijing 1945:

Beijing 2014:

Beijing average annual temperature
1945: 13.3 degC
2013: 12.5 degC

Shame on our scientific community for being controlled by political and corporate interests.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: wecomeinpeace
Beijing average annual temperature
1945: 13.3 degC
2013: 12.5 degC

Shame on our scientific community for being controlled by political and corporate interests.

Interesting picture comparison. Tell me, why do you think volcanic eruptions typically are seen to have a cooling effect on the planet?
edit on 11Fri, 09 May 2014 11:48:52 -0500America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago5 by Greven because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   
You know what I think of whenever I see yet another climate change thread? I think of an old crazy guy on a busy street corner in Manhattan holding a sign that says "Repent, the end is near."

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueMule
Let's just raid the wallet of every republican and conservative. Use the money to make a bigger, better government that can take action!

Wouldn't that be theft? Or is that an acceptable practice among progressives?

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   
IF progressives would lay off the 'man-made' climate change then I would be more willing to talk. The climate has been is and will be changing forever and if THAT is the point then yes, I agree. It is the man-made, power grab agenda that turns me off because it is BS.

I am all for adapting to climate change just not giving global power to the elites.

edit on 2014/5/9 by Metallicus because: Fix

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   
People who deny (man-made) climate change are intellectually lazy and take the easy way out. Covering your eyes and ears won't make the problem go away. It will allow it to get worse, so we'll have to deal with it later. Leaving it later will mean that the reaction (when it does occur) will have to be faster, which will cost us more overall. Also, all objections to preventing man-made climate change that have been raised in this thread have already been refuted.

Maybe try denying ignorance next time.
edit on 9/5/14 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: wecomeinpeace

(i.e carbon monoxide, sulfur dioxide, chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) and nitrogen oxides), marine, and ground pollution,

Try again.

In the western world there are usually ever-tightening regulations regarding all of the pollutants you have listed. Go look at automotive emissions by model-year. Or this www.epa.gov... Those pollutants are under control. Or you know, actually research the pollutants, rather than make up statements on the spot which are incorrect.

Know what pollutant isn't under control? CO2.

As far as China goes, it can be expected they will improve dramatically eventually as government regulation improves in efficacy.
edit on 9/5/14 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

originally posted by: BlueMule

Wouldn't that be theft? Or is that an acceptable practice among progressives?

Time is money. How much time have deniers stolen from us all, not to mention from future generations, with their stonewalling? How much time have they wasted by preventing us from acting in unison, just so that they can protect their wallets? Do we have to wait until it's too late just so greedy people can protect their assets and their unsustainable lifestyles?

The more time deniers steal, the more drastic the actions we will have to take.

edit on 881FridayuAmerica/ChicagoMayuFridayAmerica/Chicago by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
IF progressives would lay off the 'man-made' climate change then I would be more willing to talk. The climate has been is and will be changing forever and if THAT is the point then yes, I agree. It is the man-made, power grab agenda that turns me off because it is BS.

Curious. Do you think the images shared by wecomeinpeace are the result of natural processes?
edit on 16Fri, 09 May 2014 16:32:37 -0500America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago5 by Greven because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
It's called Global Warming and the acceleration that basically every scientist in the world is seeing and documenting is man made, in their opinion. The smartest, best minds on the planet that is.

I love the people that call it BS. They aren't scientists. lol I also love how they insult those that are trying to get this message out as "progressives" or "Liberals' etc. I'm neither, thank you.

The problem really, when we all get our heads out of the sand and come back to reality, is how to tackle the problem. It's pretty easy. Small steps can have big results and that's just the bottom line.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join