It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicago police face overwhelming gun crime as 45 people shot over weekend

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: wills120

I think its you that have read wrong..

I was not talking about crime in general..

I was talking about gun-deaths or gun-crimes, where guns are specifically involved... which includes crimes committed with guns, but also suicides, and accidental deaths.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   
So now people are going to blame the weather???
Geebus

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   
It all comes down to where you live, or should I say where your single mother on minimum wage (or welfare) can afford to. Which is typically on the south side where section 8 is accepted. I know how this works, you have no choice in where you live when you're 12-16, you live where your mother can afford to live, which usually isn't the best/ safest neighborhood if she was 7 months pregnant if and when she graduated.

You assimilate or evaporate. You either roll with the local crew or get rolled over by everyone. Not only the people who live around you and see you as a punk or heartless mark, but also by rival crews that view you in the same light and target all those who originate from your particular area.

This is why you have 14-16 yr old's out there trying to "put in work" and earn a rep with the people who live on a particular block. Not because they want to or enjoy it but because you either show allegiance to us or we'll treat you like an outsider, even though we live in the same building. It's all about gaining the acceptance of those in your immediate social group, building, block, hood, gang, city etc...
edit on 23-4-2014 by Astroart because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
And not one damned post about the 45 people shot.

(apologies if I missed one)

But we won't hear about it from the news, the politicians, the tv pundits, the internet usual suspects.

I wonder why. . . . .

True, to begin with, ATS members got into the ins and outs of gun laws and crime, rather than discussing the tragedy of young people being shot (or people of any age being shot). But perhaps that's because while it's tragic, the deeper issue is that it's all so darned needless. So, members are discussing who's doing the shooting, and why, and how it's even got to this horrendous level.

But as you pointed out, we're not hearing about this. I certainly heard not a word about it via the MSM and I have pretty good access to them all via satellite TV and so on.

Though I'm replying to your post from page 1 (and Beezer, I'm not criticizing you at all: you've made some good points) I've read through this whole thread now. And I have to say this: you, the members of ATS, have taught me more about this problem in one thread than I've picked up from any amount of MSM coverage. Your opinions differ on some points, but you are all calling it as you see it, and damn it, that's what we need!

We don't want this papered over and made to look like some local, minor problem when it clearly is not.

Some of you might ask me, "Why should you care? You don't even live in America?"

That's a good question. Well, here's why: I care because I don't want to see kids getting shot. Not in your home towns, nor in mine, nor anywhere. They're kids, for heaven's sakes! And from you all, I'm getting some insight into what the heck is going on, which the MSM is working very hard to not give me!

And my personal opinion? "Gun control" -- laws that say what you can or cannot own -- will not stop criminals getting guns. These shootings in Chicago are a social problem at their core and you will never fix it by "gun control".

And now I'll be blunt, and if some people don't like it, too bad. It's my opinion and nothing more.

The United States Constitution's second amendment says that "the people" have a right to bear arms and that this right shall not be infringed.

It matters not one whit if I think that's a good idea or not! The only thing that matters is that this right you have is guaranteed to you as part of the fundamental law of the United States, and only American citizens have the right to decide if that law needs to be amended again by your Congress (and then ratified by the requisite three-fourths of US states). And if you disagree with your congress, you have the right to vote out your elected members at the next election! If I, or anyone who is not a US citizen voices an opinion against your 2nd amendment, it's our right to voice that. But our opinion does not matter, only yours does!

My opinion on the second amendment is simple: it's your Law of the Land and your country. Not mine. Yours. It's up to you what you decide to do about it. Not me.

However, even though my opinion doesn't really count, I personally do not believe that infringing upon your constitutional rights is the solution to your problems with gun crime. That would be like infringing upon your right to vote, simply because a very, very small minority abuse the system of voting! You deal with those who abuse those rights, not take away the rights of everyone that your own Law of the Land guarantees to you!

I think the solution to your gun crime problem is a social one, not a legal one. Education, not legislation, is likely the answer.

edit on 23/4/14 by JustMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra It is kind of hard to fix what ails society, when society doesn't even know it has tied its own hands.

edit on 23-4-2014 by Tarzan the apeman. because: because you let me

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Well I can tell you one thing making concealed weapons legal did not contribute to this factor. Because if someone registered the gun (which you would have to do in order to obtain a concealed weapons permit). They could tract what gun it was fired from by the marks on the bullet left by the barrel. And there by finding out who the gun was registered to from the state database. From that we could safely assume none of them were registered fire arms.

Now as far as fixing the problem, make assault rifles legal for every citizen and allow them to carry it on them whether that be concealed or in full view we can see what happened when Switzerland did this. The Crime rate dropped off the map. Tired of uninformed people writing articles pointing to guns as the problem when it has been proven that they are the solution.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: SloAnPainful

Exactly. The only rational solution is to strip the Goyim of their weapons.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 09:08 PM
link   
a reply to: jashn20002000

>problem is people with guns
>give more people guns
>this somehow solves the problem.

this is literally what you are suggesting.

anything else according to you conservatives reactionaries would be the wrong way to go...

"so just toss assault rifles from the back of a truck, like its mardi-gras or something.

up and down the streets

give a kid one, don't force him to go through training, that's infringing on his liberties."
edit on 23-4-2014 by NonsensicalUserName because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: NonsensicalUserName

>green texting on ATS

No but seriously, we need to strip all the guns away. It's the only way to be 100% sure.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: JustMike

I am truely humbled by your statement. It has heart.

I really wish I could shake your hand in person. You give me faith sir.

Thank you for that!

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: jashn20002000

At no point have I claimed allowing conceal carry contributed to this. I am a strong proponent of the 2nd amendment as well as open carry / conceal carry.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Guns aren't the problem, it's the gang culture that prevails in low-income areas.

What happens is something like this: Gangbanger A shoots Gangbanger B. Gangbanger B wants to get Gangbanger A back, but can't find him or get to him for whatever reason. What happens then is Gangbanger B then goes after Gangbanger A's friends and family since they're easy targets, whether or not they're involved in the stupid gangbanger mentality and way of doing things. Then you hear about this tragedy involving innocent people in the news. It's tit for tat B.S. and it's nothing new. Short of cracking down on these fools or putting all their families in protective custody, there's not much else you can do about the problem. Restrictions on guns don't really do much, as they'll get their weapons regardless of whether they're legal.

This will probably go back and forth a bit with the hot-headed and stupid younger gangbangers until the big bosses on top start seeing too much heat from the police. When it starts costing them in profitability they'll start busting heads within their own ranks for getting out of line, and things will settle down again.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 11:04 PM
link   
As soon as you blame an object that it actually takes a human to use as the problem, you lose me. The gun is not alive! lol We control them! We are the problem. At least let the people who DONT have a problem have access to them because the loonies are gonna get them anyway! OR a KNIFE. Why are the loonies going to get them? Well its not the guns fault BC ITS NOT ALIVE!!! Its the HUMANS FAULT. OK im done....please share this message if you agree, people seem to think humans are never to blame.
edit on 23-4-2014 by tonycodes because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 11:13 PM
link   
And Mike this is brilliant and it touches upon my point. Clearly a psychological problem and not the fault of an inanimate object.

-----------
----------------------------------

originally posted by: JustMike

originally posted by: beezzer
And not one damned post about the 45 people shot.

(apologies if I missed one)

But we won't hear about it from the news, the politicians, the tv pundits, the internet usual suspects.

I wonder why. . . . .

True, to begin with, ATS members got into the ins and outs of gun laws and crime, rather than discussing the tragedy of young people being shot (or people of any age being shot). But perhaps that's because while it's tragic, the deeper issue is that it's all so darned needless. So, members are discussing who's doing the shooting, and why, and how it's even got to this horrendous level.

But as you pointed out, we're not hearing about this. I certainly heard not a word about it via the MSM and I have pretty good access to them all via satellite TV and so on.

Though I'm replying to your post from page 1 (and Beezer, I'm not criticizing you at all: you've made some good points) I've read through this whole thread now. And I have to say this: you, the members of ATS, have taught me more about this problem in one thread than I've picked up from any amount of MSM coverage. Your opinions differ on some points, but you are all calling it as you see it, and damn it, that's what we need!

We don't want this papered over and made to look like some local, minor problem when it clearly is not.

Some of you might ask me, "Why should you care? You don't even live in America?"

That's a good question. Well, here's why: I care because I don't want to see kids getting shot. Not in your home towns, nor in mine, nor anywhere. They're kids, for heaven's sakes! And from you all, I'm getting some insight into what the heck is going on, which the MSM is working very hard to not give me!

And my personal opinion? "Gun control" -- laws that say what you can or cannot own -- will not stop criminals getting guns. These shootings in Chicago are a social problem at their core and you will never fix it by "gun control".

And now I'll be blunt, and if some people don't like it, too bad. It's my opinion and nothing more.

The United States Constitution's second amendment says that "the people" have a right to bear arms and that this right shall not be infringed.

It matters not one whit if I think that's a good idea or not! The only thing that matters is that this right you have is guaranteed to you as part of the fundamental law of the United States, and only American citizens have the right to decide if that law needs to be amended again by your Congress (and then ratified by the requisite three-fourths of US states). And if you disagree with your congress, you have the right to vote out your elected members at the next election! If I, or anyone who is not a US citizen voices an opinion against your 2nd amendment, it's our right to voice that. But our opinion does not matter, only yours does!

My opinion on the second amendment is simple: it's your Law of the Land and your country. Not mine. Yours. It's up to you what you decide to do about it. Not me.

However, even though my opinion doesn't really count, I personally do not believe that infringing upon your constitutional rights is the solution to your problems with gun crime. That would be like infringing upon your right to vote, simply because a very, very small minority abuse the system of voting! You deal with those who abuse those rights, not take away the rights of everyone that your own Law of the Land guarantees to you!

I think the solution to your gun crime problem is a social one, not a legal one. Education, not legislation, is likely the answer.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   
How can there be gun crime? Guns are illegal in Chicago? I am confused??

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Once again, this proves that tough gun control (and Chicago is #1) doesn't work. Well armed responsible citizens with guns don't do crime...but the crooks get guns no matter how strict gun laws are.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Many who participate in these human-demonic acts are followers and since this is the case those who could make a change and stand up to the demonic energy are overlooked or overwhelmed by the ignorance abroad...

THANK GOD there are overseers of this realm who are taking notes for later spiritual activities. Still its sad to hear and see the amount of fail demonstrated by the followers who are many. Extract or quietly eliminate the energy forcing the followers and the followers find ANU path, hopefully before their mirrors of their projected energy reaches them elsewhere where they not consider to exist -neither world- they are eternal even if they feel not so.

In the end many are following some who act as the toughest or in power but alone on say VENUS you see their true self... if only their true selves could be observed by the potential followers maybe the followers would deny the ignorance all together when observing their role model or hood dictators in the presence of actual balancing reflecting energies...

A answer is to buy the guns in a way that it becomes more interesting to the ignorant to sell them for profit and stop the circulation of the next rounds to be somehow redistributed to the neighborhoods where the weapons have severe impacts... and expose the fake leaders who all act like past ignorance's when alone and exposed.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Revelations29

yes you caught me; I'm a former /pol/-tard;

greentexting has been around since usenet days from what I've heard;

derp; I almost forgot to state my point.

no stripping all guns wouldn't be the best way to do things, but having stricter regulations on the purchasing of firearms, along with tighter registration couldn't hurt all that much could it?

don't forget; there isn't much gun control in the places outside chicago... Federal or even state-level laws can change that depending on the place.
edit on 24-4-2014 by NonsensicalUserName because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: JustMike

Great post, that brings me to the issue of "social inequalities", why is so that no politician when campaigning wants to address the inequality and inner city crime directly, all they talk is about more security, gun control and police force, because that is not their main concern when they belong to a social group that as long as they pay for security crime barely touches them directly, no corporate politician wants to take the time to really help what is eating the inner city youth in our nation.

I get sometimes to the hard conclusion that the corporate elite is profiting from crime so the more the more they profit.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: NonsensicalUserName

Thing is, you impose more strict regulations on guns, eventually its going to escalate (like it always does) to the point where guns will be outlawed.

So you might as well ban all guns so you can skip all of this regulation BS that is only a filler.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join