It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Lone Survivor Movie

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

What is it anyway about goat headers screwing up Special Forces missions, there was another one that i read about recently involving Zero Six Bravo.

they must be a bad omen or something eh.
edit on 20-4-2014 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Yeah, no kidding. I've heard about a number of missions getting screwed by someone in the wrong place, at the wrong time.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Leonidas
a reply to: PandorasBoxxx

There are youtube interviews with Mark Luttrell.

If you are interested in what happened, and the difference between the movie and the events of that day it is worth a look.

People wont look into that.......

I feel like the OP has an unrealistic idea of how things really happen in war.....yes goat herders.....and armed militants with incredible odds. War and fire fights arent like what happens in Rambo or an Arnold movie man...and im speaking from experience......

This story wasnt turned into a victory, it was a story of survival....it was a story of fighting for the man next to you and the brotherhood between soldiers......

And the kindness that one man showed another when he didnt have to, when he could have turned him over....this was clear to me through out the movie, and definitely at the end of the movie...

Maybe its because of my experiences that I understood what was going on...or not

I feel like the entire story was missed on the OP....

Not trying to bash you OP just saying......

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: peter vlar

I'm thinking you missed a major point of the story/plot. That despite the fact these operators were there for the sole purpose of killing Afghani's, he was given shelter as well as protected by those who lived in the village. It gave a human face to an "enemy" demonized and stereotyped by the vast majority of western media, most of whom weren't actually anyone's enemy let alone ours. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Yeah, well I'm not really buying that story tbh.

Since you're so critical of the fictitious version of events and then parlaying that into a critique of the operators themselves, can I ask which theaters you have deployed too and what your personal experience is involving operations of this nature? - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Yes.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: tinner07
well I'm guessing the team wasn't consulted for their opinion when placing concealment on the mountain. Sometimes those guys are awake for 2 or 3 or more days. That would make for a boring movie. You really think they dropped in and took naps?

What do you want? an apology from him for living? They could have killed the goat herder but thats not what they did.
Do you always make perfect decisions?

Join a SeAL team, get inserted into a hostile environment and make perfect decisions. Until you do that, I don't think you are qualified to question what that team did that day.

Just my opinion.

After reading the OPs replies I feel like I should remove myself from the thread.......there seems to be a huge disconnect between what he imagines war to be like and what really is.......and honestly hes a bit offensive...

OP I dont feel your qualified either to make such judgments.......

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I think the movie must be quite a distance from what I read in the book and what I've heard Marcus say on the matter in his speaking of the events. I hadn't personally seen anything, as the book gave the detailed chronology of events, which seemed all that odd or out of the ordinary. Tragic and needless ...but then, they say Military Intelligence is an oxymoron for some pretty solid reasons sometimes. Those guys got ox'ed by the morons, to be sure.

I want to add also... What these guys do and did there isn't propaganda. They aren't Supermen...but as close as human training can bring them, by deliberate design and intent.

Like millions of other American guys, I'm sure, I once looked into what it took to enter BUD/S and what it would take to be a SEAL. I didn't even get past the damn book for prep work suggested before showing up for the screening. Just the warm up training ...was a level other books described as the absolute breaking point with men in lesser training.

It's not that they're better...they've just been broken like glass, in ways few in life will ever see, I think. Then they got rebuilt into the strongest, fastest and most effective killing machines (with morality..it's important to note) that current methods of human training can produce.

Amazing..what that equates to in the real world, isn't it?

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

After reading the OPs replies I feel like I should remove myself from the thread.......there seems to be a huge disconnect between what he imagines war to be like and what really is.......and honestly hes a bit offensive...

Maybe you misread, I reviewed the events as they happened in the movie to which Marcus Luttrel was an advisor. I also questioned if the events in the movie portrayed the actual events.

I still stick to my point that if a 4 man Seal Team can't evade some goat herders in the mountains, they are not doing a very good job.

edit on 20-4-2014 by PandorasBoxxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   

I still stick to my point that if a 4 man Seal can't evade some goat herders in the mountains, they are not doing a very good job.

ahhh the ignorant bliss of a arm chair general....

Been a while since I read the book but I believe they were sitting in a observation post when they where compromised

Its not the way its going to be in the movies or how you think it should be, they guys are only human, they make mistakes just like all of us.

As i said above, this has happened more than once.
edit on 20-4-2014 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

ahhh the ignorant bliss of a arm chair general.... Been a while since I read the book

Right.

Making a mistake is basically the same as not doing a good job.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   

If there are humans involved, mistakes will be made. It's that simple. There's no such thing as perfection when people are involved. You can't predict what someone else is going to do every single time.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   

I still stick to my point that if a 4 man Seal Team can't evade some goat herders in the mountains, they are not doing a very good job.

What was your combat experience again to give you perspective on this. I don't see anything posted so I must have missed you telling everyone how you did it the last time you were inserted on the side of a mountain.

I know this story of three firemen that entered a burning house looking for three kids and they died during that search. Did they do it wrong also?
edit on 2014pAmerica/Chicago3003ppm by opethPA because: (no reason given)

edit on 2014pAmerica/Chicago3003ppm by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

My point is these guys volunteered to do this stuff and were on a assasination mission. They are warriors. They make a mistake, which can happen and they die because of it. Live by the gun die by the gun.

So why does the world need to be told this story? Seems the only thing that drives this story/movie is that they took a load of Taliban with them.

Well Hooah.

It's just propaganda, a "feel good" story with the needed drama. This Marcus guy should just accept his losses and be lucky to be alive. The world doesn't need to know about your booboo when you signed up yourselves to become killers.

Like those Seals deserve more credit and honor than other combat casualties or something.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   

For the same reason that they made Band of Brothers, Saving Private Ryan, Blackhawk Down, and any other military movie. It's not about the Seals being super soldiers, or the mission. Like someone said it's about the brotherhood, and what was between them.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   
You didn't have to watch if you don't think war stories are worth telling.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

What was your combat experience again to give you perspective on this. I don't see anything posted so I must have missed you telling everyone how you did it the last time you were inserted on the side of a mountain.

I think I missed the part where it says that I have to give out credentials to random internet guy in order to write down my opinion.

If I had been deployed I sure wouldn't tell you about it.

Maybe you got compromised by goatherders too all the time and think you were doing a great job anyway.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I have trained with and worked beside Navy SEALS

They are incredible warriors, each and every one

You have no idea and that is the simple truth

Semper

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   

I want to add a comment to this because it actually made me laugh a little, remembering why they don't do what you'd imagine them doing by the time they realized they were going to be compromised.

Way back before Uncle Sammy saved everyone from the dangers of personal stupidity, I played 'war' with friends with toy guns. Occasionally..we'd switch that to BB/Pellet guns in far more open areas. Well..One very dark night, I learned why staying in place is often better than moving, even if discovery seems imminent. Fighting in place is even better...unless it means killing a kid, which Marcus and his bunch would have had to do.

You see.. When I was being cornered and figured I had nothing to lose (being shot with bb guns HURTS!!)..I said to myself "Self..it's dark out here. He's less than 5 feet and I'm going to take a whole magazine in the face if I stay here". Self made a real bad decision..and said RUN!

I never got shot by the friend who was right about 5 feet away, as I saw in a blur. He never got the chance....since I ran straight into a barrage of shots from someone I hadn't known was there, a bit further away, and had NO idea I was where I'd been. At least until he got a view full of black mass charging at full speed. .....oh...running ended up hurting MUCH MUCH worse that staying in place ever would have. I'll bet SEALs learn a similar lesson in FAR less forgiving circumstances.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   
So in other words, you play COD or BF4 so you think that you have enough knowledge to offer your thoughts on this.

Got it, makes sense.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: semperfortis

So what are your thoughts on the events as portrayed in the movie to which the surviving Seal was an advisor?

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   

It was a movie...

Pure and simple

I enjoy being entertained as well

Semper

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join