It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Lone Survivor Movie

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 05:48 AM
link   
I just recently watched "The Lone Survivor" with Mark Wahlberg. It's based on true story about a 4 man Seal team on a mission in Afghanistan.

Marcus Luttrell and his team set out on a mission to capture or kill notorious Taliban leader Ahmad Shah, in late June 2005. Marcus and his team are left to fight for their lives in one of the most valiant efforts of modern warfare.

www.imdb.com...

It was an entertaining movie but it left me scratching my head about the level of skill the Navy Seals posses and America's wonderfull ability to mold a huge disaster into a victory. Propaganda wise.

All I saw was a bunch of frack-ups.

I don't know how closely the movie portrayed the real events but why are the Seals such a great force again? Elite farce is more like it.

So the trouble starts when they are in the mountains and get caught by.......goat herders wearing towels.

Really, you are an elite special forces team and you can't even evade some goat herders?

In the movie they are hiding under a sprouse tree when suddenly Marky Mark sees goats and even hears bells they wear around their necks.

"What the hell is that?"

Well, Marcus, they appear to be some sort of domesticated mammals that 10 out of 10 times are accompanied by humans. But hey let's just lay here under a sprouse tree that offers no concealment at all and maybe they won't see us even though they are walking straight toward us.

Really, 4 Seals napping on the job, no perimeter guard, no attempt to escape from their view?

I don't know how this really went down but fact is they were compromised by goat herders. Fail.

So the goat herders are herded together and the Seals argue about wether they should kill em and proceed with the mission, or let them go and abort the mission.

They decide to let them go.

Can't blame em for that. So they know the herders will inform the Taliban right away so they haul ass up the mountain to get to the peak so their comms get a signal.

After walking for a day they finally reach the peak......oops.....false summit.....still no comms. Dudes, you have no knowledge of the terrain? No map with altitudes?

Oops, suddenly they're surrounded by 100 guys.

An epic firefight ensues and our heros have to jump down the mountain 3 times and still get shot and killed except for lone suvivor Marcus who jumps down the mountain 4 times.

They also send in some Chinooks into a hot LZ crawling with guys with RPG's.

Oh no a Chinook full of US troops is hit by one and goes down killing all occupants. Oops, Marcus, how many lives did your frack-up cost by now?

He is then saved by an Afghan local who risks the lives of his whole village by saving him from the Taliban based on some honor code.

I am sorry but to me this is more propaganda BS.

The Seal team messed up big time by letting themselves get compromised, and make more mistakes, then get shot up and one guy survives by jumping of the mountain and now he is a hero and this movie is to honor his fallen friends?

Dude, it was a complete fail, you messed up, your friends are dead and there was nothing heroic about their deaths. You are a bunch of frack-ups.

It's amazing to see how such an epic fail can be presented as a heroic victory.

Mods, if you want to move this to Rant or Movies it's fine by me.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 06:04 AM
link   
I watched it. it was typical Hollywood rubbish...My Gut feeling, story based on Chris Ryan's, The one that got away..

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Its a movie basically its entertainment. Not a documentary, its designed to make money. Black hawk down is another case of Hollywood righting history.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 06:21 AM
link   
a reply to: PandorasBoxxx

There are youtube interviews with Mark Luttrell.

If you are interested in what happened, and the difference between the movie and the events of that day it is worth a look.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 06:21 AM
link   
First off it a spruce tree. Second, nevermind. Its Easter. Have a good day

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 06:23 AM
link   
a reply to: hillbilly4rent

Yeah but the difference is here you got that Seal guy Marcus Luttrell doing promotion and interviews playing the role of hero while his friends died and he got extremely lucky after messing up big time.

It's embarassing.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 06:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: tinner07
First off it a spruce tree. Second, nevermind. Its Easter. Have a good day

Spruce tree schmoose tree, they don't provide much concealment anyway.

Not a great place to hide easter eggs, let alone Seal teams.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 06:49 AM
link   
well I'm guessing the team wasn't consulted for their opinion when placing concealment on the mountain. Sometimes those guys are awake for 2 or 3 or more days. That would make for a boring movie. You really think they dropped in and took naps?

What do you want? an apology from him for living? They could have killed the goat herder but thats not what they did.
Do you always make perfect decisions?

Join a SeAL team, get inserted into a hostile environment and make perfect decisions. Until you do that, I don't think you are qualified to question what that team did that day.

Just my opinion.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 06:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: PandorasBoxxx
a reply to: hillbilly4rent

Yeah but the difference is here you got that Seal guy Marcus Luttrell doing promotion and interviews playing the role of hero while his friends died and he got extremely lucky after messing up big time.

It's embarassing.

I think if you watch his interviews, you would perhaps have a different opinion of him and what happened.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 07:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Leonidas

I saw those interviews already before I saw the movie. I don't like the guy. Fact remains that they messed up.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 07:07 AM
link   
a reply to: tinner07

I'm sorry but getting caught by goat herders is just retarded, but hey everyone can make mistakes I guess. The point is should you make a heroic movie about your mistakes?

Should a Seal cooperate with a movie that makes them look like idiots?

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   

All I saw was a bunch of frack-ups.

it's funny you say that..
all i saw was the commercial
and i thought something like
this is some kind of masturbation fantasy for tinfoil hat wearers
i'm just happy to leave that reference hanging out for all to see and reel from

thanks for pointing out all the foibles, it nicely illustrates what you're supposedly ranting about
the bullsh.t is still so obvious, these days, it's almost banal.. it's like some kind of lazy arrogant supercomputer runs the world and doesn't give a crap if you know or not..

for a while there i thought this would all die out back in the 80's when bruce willis, arnie and stallone were gettin' on in years but no, every genre & subculture still has a hero to show it's cool to steal cars or whatever

..i like to rant about this sh.t too

i missed this..

masturbation fantasy for wannabe hero's, people with no power, people with daddy issues
PROGRAMMING

it's complex and above my paygrade, in my little montage of newspaper snippings i'd label this a sub-project of victim/predation/judgement encoding, and call it "you transgressed, now take this!" aka: release/relief
what is this nonsense all about, one might ask? ..i'll tell you
/pours several cups of tea and adjusts tinfoil hat
it makes people "ok" with having to live in a world of crap, provides a framework of relative situations & guidelines.. it's part of how they build peoples minds and their reality
when i made a little video presentation on all this stuff it was taken down on "copyright" infringement or some bullsh.t

edit on 20-4-2014 by UNIT76 because: if only someone would explain all this stuff and do it some justice, i'm too stupid

oh, and since i'm having such a nice rant here, i want to include this cleveland steamer
i could be batsh.t crazy in typing all this, or there could be some deeper meaning here i'm trying to get across, regardless, the system is happy to allow me to infect you good people with my nonsense, but as soon as we encroach on their own turf (and use their own sh.t against them, exposing things for what they are, like this "movie") the wall of reality will come down on us like a tonne of bricks (video removed, you're crazy, etc) ..it's like how they're cool with having us kill eachother (2 years in, out in 6 months w/ good behavior) but as soon as we go near their own pissing grounds they get all nasty (watch i love you phillip morris)
edit on 20-4-2014 by UNIT76 because: yeah i think this is the end of the rant.. neighbor's cat just arrived

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   

All I will say is if I were involved in the same situation; even IF our op was compromised like there’s was. I would have flexi cuffed them gaged them and finished the Mission than humped them out with us for miles than cut them loose. The way that the movie portrayed the whole operation it just to me seems like a waist of life due to an officer’s bad decision.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 08:39 AM
link   

I just recently watched "The Lone Survivor" with Mark Wahlberg. It's based on true story about a 4 man Seal team on a mission in Afghanistan.

What was your combat experience?
How many firefights have you been in?
Better yet, in your current job, how many chaotic situations have you been in?
My guess is it is the same answer to all of the above which is 0 because if you had been you would know that unexpected situations often turn chaotic in multiple ways.

When Hurricane Sandy hit the infrastructure where I work was impacted in multiple ways by multiple communication , human and technical failures..wish you would have been involved with that telling everyone how they were "frack-ups"

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   
That is what happens when you send "In and OUT" boys on a Ranger mission. The SEALs did the same thing in Panama in an air port.
I would say command screwed the pooch,oh and call me a monster but 'Cold War" training entailed killing ANYONE who saw you on a black op.like they did in Nicaragua.Its nasty alright but if the mission MUST get done they WILL die.
Also again if you think this is bad fine ,don't start a war,if you just think the warriors are bad, perhaps in some years you may grow up.
You have the BEST on your side and enjoy the spoils.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I would encourage you all to go and read the book.

The movie does not stick to the book religiously however it is pretty close.

I thought the movie was really quite good and true to the book much of what happens in the massive firefight does actually happen in the book.

Really it all comes down to if you believe Maracas (who is in the film as well) or not.

Personally I believe it.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   
just seals or any US military being in afgahanistan is a total "frack up"
lots of opium these days though
im sure the top hats love that part
edit on Sunam4b20144America/Chicago47 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Have some respect for people who put their lives on the line for you. And don't spew your liberal iraqi freedom fighters to me, I don't listen to that.

If you really want to understand what happened I suggest you read the book. They were placed on mountains in the Hindu Kush that were completely barren with almost no cover. In Marcus' account none of them were hiding under trees and they weren't sleeping when the goatherders were coming down the mountain. They SEALs captured them before they could be discovered or let them escape. They inevitable chose not to murder the civilians because of their Christian faith (at least for Marcus) and because they did not want to be crucified by the liberal media when they got back home.

The fact is, for their mission the SHTF and they fought against insurmountable odds to get out of there. In the book Marcus shares very touching words for his fallen comrades and how unfair it was for him to survive. He continually mentions in his story he wanted to get out of there to tell everyone just what happened in the Hindu Kush that week.

The movie follows the book better than most do, but unless you were there I suggest you stop pushing hate and show respect for the families of their lost loved ones.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   

a reply to: tinner07

I'm sorry but getting caught by goat herders is just retarded, but hey everyone can make mistakes I guess. The point is should you make a heroic movie about your mistakes?

I'm thinking you missed a major point of the story/plot. That despite the fact these operators were there for the sole purpose of killing Afghani's, he was given shelter as well as protected by those who lived in the village. It gave a human face to an "enemy" demonized and stereotyped by the vast majority of western media, most of whom weren't actually anyone's enemy let alone ours.

Since you're so critical of the fictitious version of events and then parlaying that into a critique of the operators themselves, can I ask which theaters you have deployed too and what your personal experience is involving operations of this nature?
edit on 20-4-2014 by peter vlar because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   

You mean like Bravo 20?

In the late afternoon of 24 January, the patrol was stumbled upon by a herd of sheep and a young shepherd.

en.wikipedia.org...

SOF guys are human too. That means they make mistakes. They're better trained than most troops, and have better skills than the average soldier, but they're only human. The best laid plans of mice and men and all that.

In combat, # happens.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join