It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bloomberg Plans a $50 Million Challenge to the N.R.A

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Michael R. Bloomberg, making his first major political investment since leaving office, plans to spend $50 million this year building a nationwide grass-roots network to motivate voters who feel strongly about curbing gun violence, an organization he hopes can eventually outmuscle the National Rifle Association.

Mr. Bloomberg, the former mayor of New York, said gun control advocates need to learn from the N.R.A. and punish those politicians who fail to support their agenda — even Democrats whose positions otherwise align with his own.

“They say, ‘We don’t care. We’re going to go after you,’ ” he said of the N.R.A. “ ‘If you don’t vote with us we’re going to go after your kids and your grandkids and your great-grandkids. And we’re never going to stop.’ ”

He added: “We’ve got to make them afraid of us.”

Continue reading the main story
RELATED COVERAGE

An Ex-Mayor, in His Own WordsAPRIL 16, 2014
The considerable advantages that gun rights advocates enjoy — in intensity, organization and political clout — will not be easy to overcome. Indeed, Mr. Bloomberg has already spent millions of dollars trying to persuade members of Congress to support enhanced background check laws with virtually nothing to show for it.

www.nytimes.com...

Now Im gonna shock many of you who know my opinion on the issue of Gun control: this is B/S the problem with the NRA is not that it convince alot of folks about not having any smart regulation on guns, it's about flooding the political system with with so much cash that a politician will bend to their will regardless of how he/she may personally feel about the issue so I am not jumping with glee as this will only further corrupt our democracy even more..Big Money in politics , I say lets have this fight without the monied men dishing out the goodies to folks who may have no conviction either way,we need to stop the Koch bros and Sheldon Adelson and George Soroses, not imitate them,what next spend millions to prevent folks from having a super size slurpee...boo

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Spider879

Everyone knows they are coming for the guns. Only question is how long and whats the catalyst.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by rustyclutch

Well being that he's targeting moms.

It will probably be moms.

Just coming up to your door to have a friendly conversation about what fire arms you possess and why you feel the need to possess them and do you have any kids followed by a call to the CPS.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 11:48 PM
link   
If he gave me 50 mil I'd give up my gun.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by rockintitz

I got 50 mil.

Its loaded with brass casings.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 11:57 PM
link   

rustyclutch

Everyone knows they are coming for the guns. Only question is how long and whats the catalyst.

I do not want people's guns,I want reasonable checks every Tom Dick Harry and Jane should not have access to guns recent headlines bares that out,some folks are crazy others are a clear menace to folks around them,how much regulation is good we can have that conversation matter of fact the old NRA was about that until of late, but an even greater danger is super rich guys obscuring that conversation with their $$$$ ,and this goes for just about any issue the media right or left will not allow for voice of reason as they will benefit greatly from those infomercials,I want us to have this conversation but not with those guys in the picture.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 11:58 PM
link   
The good mayor will have to come up with a lot more than a MEASLY 50 MIL TO CHANGE THE CONSTITUTION OR AMERICAS MINDS.....

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 12:00 AM
link   

The guy is clearly out of touch with reality and clearly insane.

He's clearly suicidal because the day his wish comes true his head will become the #1 bounty in America.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I just read the whole article. The last paragraph really caught my attention. Mainly this.

“I am telling you if there is a God, when I get to heaven I’m not stopping to be interviewed. I am heading straight in. I have earned my place in heaven. It’s not even close.”

This to me states exactly where his mindset is.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Punish those politicians who fail to support their agenda

At least he's being honest about it now.

“We don’t care. We’re going to go after you,” he said. “If you don’t vote with us we’re going to go after your kids and your grandkids and your great-grandkids. And we’re never going to stop.’ ”

He added: “We’ve got to make them afraid of us.”
That's what he's actually saying.

Mr. Bloomberg has already spent millions of dollars trying to persuade members of Congress to support enhanced background check laws with virtually nothing to show for it

shouldn't that be a hint, that people don't want his garbage? The man is an idiot.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 12:08 AM
link   

stirling
The good mayor will have to come up with a lot more than a MEASLY 50 MIL TO CHANGE THE CONSTITUTION OR AMERICAS MINDS.....

You don't get it that's just 50 mil this year,he is planning to match the NRA dollar for dollar,politician for politician doing the same thing the NRA does and in that lays the danger it won't be just about the gun rights issue,everything else will be up for grabs you and I will be left out of the conversation regardless of how we feel on any issue..including Gun control.
edit on 17-4-2014 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Didnt say YOU wanted peoples guns. I said they as in the government. Criminals dont obey laws. You can make all the gun control you want but as long as they sell them crooks will get their hands on them. Not like there arent at least 200 million guns floating around anyway. Their end conclusion will be that no one can have them. Also they officially have to do a constitutional convention. They can rewrite the whole constitution. We dont get to vote on this. Dont be so sure about what can and cant be done when you dont have a say in the matter. They will try.....what happens after that who knows. Thats the lil bit of news Im not hearing too much about and it should be all over the news.
edit on 17-4-2014 by rustyclutch because: added

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 12:25 AM
link   

txinfidel
reply to post by rockintitz

I got 50 mil.

Its loaded with brass casings.

And I've got my own private island. Who wins?

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 12:32 AM
link   

rustyclutch

Didnt say YOU wanted peoples guns. I said they as in the government. Criminals dont obey laws. You can make all the gun control you want but as long as they sell them crooks will get their hands on them. Not like there arent at least 200 million guns floating around anyway. Their end conclusion will be that no one can have them. Also they officially have to do a constitutional convention. They can rewrite the whole constitution. We dont get to vote on this. Dont be so sure about what can and cant be done when you dont have a say in the matter. They will try.....what happens after that who knows. Thats the lil bit of news Im not hearing too much about and it should be all over the news.
edit on 17-4-2014 by rustyclutch because: added

I know I was just making a general statement due to the fact I am a pro gun control advocate that I am not against Guns or gun ownership ,but need something we can agree on regarding the proliferation of guns both legal and illegal,for me it's not enough to say too many guns out there already why bother trying.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Doesn't this guy understand yet? Doesn't he already have an anti-gun group, MAIG if I remember? Plus, hasn't he been spending millions upon millions doing the same thing over and over, and not really accomplishing much? Every year it seems he says "Ima toss millions at this!!!!".....and it goes nowhere.

If he really is going after moms, there's already the Moms Demand Action group. It will be all the same people, but in another group. That would be a really redundant, which wouldn't accomplish anything....so I wouldn't be surprised if he does it.

As for his "building a nationwide grass-roots network to motivate voters who feel strongly about curbing gun violence"....again, this is redundant. The nation had gun-control pushed in their face everyday just the other year. This motivated both the anti gunners and pro gunners, and the pro gunners outnumbered the anti-gunners. People already made up their minds back then. The result of what happened the other year.....a few anti-gun bills passed in a couple states, but many more pro-gun bills were passed in even more states.

If he could of motivated the anti gunner side, it would have happened already. He's throwing his cash down the toilet...which im happy with.

ETA - As liejunkie01 already pointed out at the end of the article...

"“I am telling you if there is a God, when I get to heaven I’m not stopping to be interviewed. I am heading straight in. I have earned my place in heaven. It’s not even close.”

I think this guy is starting to lose his mind, and going off the deep end.
edit on 17-4-2014 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 12:49 AM
link   

I dont know. I'm pragmatic though. So many things I can die from that are perfectly legal. What difference does a bullet make? People should be armed. The only way to protect yourself from an armed madman is to be an armed madman yourself. This is life. We just pretend to be civilized. Most of mankinds technological leaps have occured in the process of trying to kill... mankind. Gun control is comedic at best. People expect the police to protect them but the police are nothing but jackbooted thugs who beat on civilians. Furthermore it isnt societies responsibility to protect you. The safety of you and your family falls on each one of us as individuals. We cant uninvent guns. Cant stop crazies from popping out of the wood work either. Kid stabbed 20 people. The guns arent the problem. Its the sick society breeding the psychopaths. Its the sick society that gives people on wall street million dollar bonuses while people are losing their homes. Guns are just one method of killing a man. You take that away man will create more.....how many have we created since the gun? Its US not the weapons...lol.
edit on 17-4-2014 by rustyclutch because: ..

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 01:02 AM
link   

buni11687

Doesn't this guy understand yet? Doesn't he already have an anti-gun group, MAIG if I remember? Plus, hasn't he been spending millions upon millions doing the same thing over and over, and not really accomplishing much? Every year it seems he says "Ima toss millions at this!!!!".....and it goes nowhere.

If he really is going after moms, there's already the Moms Demand Action group. It will be all the same people, but in another group. That would be a really redundant, which wouldn't accomplish anything....so I wouldn't be surprised if he does it.

As for his "building a nationwide grass-roots network to motivate voters who feel strongly about curbing gun violence"....again, this is redundant. The nation had gun-control pushed in their face everyday just the other year. This motivated both the anti gunners and pro gunners, and the pro gunners outnumbered the anti-gunners. People already made up their minds back then. The result of what happened the other year.....a few anti-gun bills passed in a couple states, but many more pro-gun bills were passed in even more states.

If he could of motivated the anti gunner side, it would have happened already. He's throwing his cash down the toilet...which im happy with.

ETA - As liejunkie01 already pointed out at the end of the article...

"“I am telling you if there is a God, when I get to heaven I’m not stopping to be interviewed. I am heading straight in. I have earned my place in heaven. It’s not even close.”

I think this guy is starting to lose his mind, and going off the deep end.
edit on 17-4-2014 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

Yeah but what's new is targeting politicians and in a tight race and depending on the area more money makes a difference off-course the other side is also well funded any real debate will be lost through the noise of infomercials,I agree people who want absolute ban on guns is very few,those who want some kind of checks i donno maybe they are less motivated until the next tragic situation who knows when that scale will tip.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 01:14 AM
link   

rustyclutch

Before they come for our guns, wouldn't you think they would stop manufacture and sales first?

Do you really think they are going to shut down a 31.8 Billion dollar a year industry?

www.csmonitor.com...

Too many people, making too much money for them to ban or confiscate guns.

Get real!!

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 01:24 AM
link   

rustyclutch

I dont know. I'm pragmatic though. So many things I can die from that are perfectly legal. What difference does a bullet make? People should be armed. The only way to protect yourself from an armed madman is to be an armed madman yourself. This is life. We just pretend to be civilized. Most of mankinds technological leaps have occured in the process of trying to kill... mankind. Gun control is comedic at best. People expect the police to protect them but the police are nothing but jackbooted thugs who beat on civilians. Furthermore it isnt societies responsibility to protect you. The safety of you and your family falls on each one of us as individuals. We cant uninvent guns. Cant stop crazies from popping out of the wood work either. Kid stabbed 20 people. The guns arent the problem. Its the sick society breeding the psychopaths. Its the sick society that gives people on wall street million dollar bonuses while people are losing their homes. Guns are just one method of killing a man. You take that away man will create more.....how many have we created since the gun? Its US not the weapons...lol.
edit on 17-4-2014 by rustyclutch because: ..

I don't agree with that, alot of nations have gun laws similar to us but they don't kill each other in the numbers we do,so it may have to do with our own particular culture we often act as if we are in a war zone Somalia,Yemen, Afghanistan came to mind,maybe the answer is cultural after all,we Americans are an angry bunch and have been so since I was a kid,this anger with weapons is inflated in urban centers but it is well represented in rural areas as well, it is reflected in cops shooting an homeless man in a park in Arizona with a heck of a lot more examples,everyone is afraid of his neighbor so much so that we build physiological wall and physical walls to protect ourselves,having traveled a lot I can say this is not the way much of the world works even in nations that are broke.
edit on 17-4-2014 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 03:03 AM
link   
when Bloomberg disarms ALL those that provide him security I may believe he is sincere.

until then, he really means disarming all us 'little people'

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join