It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GLASS ROCK found in woods (photos embedded) Need expert analysis.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Ameilia

randyvs
reply to post by SixX18

A left over from a glass factory that has long since
disappeared?

This post is correct. 'Cullet' or 'Slag' glass is what you Google. No mystery, sorry! But it's worth a hundred or more dollars, ask me if you need help with that.

Edit: I am editting my post to say it is worth between $150 to $250 dollars. I am willing to explain that if you care, OP. (Not for my financial gain, I'm not gonna ask you to sell it to me, or anything!)
edit on 4/11/14 by Ameilia because: (no reason given)

Please explain, as he does not want financial gain, but I'm sure he'd be interested, and it is something we did want to know just out of curiosity. How can a slag of glass be worth something?

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by SixX18

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by SixX18

I will tell you how it got there.
A person left it there. These used to be much more common.

There are people who collected these items. They were used for decorations anywhere, but mostly for aquariums (look up "Aquarium Glass Rock") and landscaping ("Landscaping Glass Rocks").

What Slag (or Cullet) is, is the end pieces from a glass factory.

Now these used to be everywhere, because in Arkansas, there was glass factory called Fenton. It started outsourcing to China, then went out of business. Now, there is like, next to NO SLAG to be found easily in the USA, because it's nearly not produced here anymore.

You could buy it for the pound, like a buck or less, all over, including in Arkansas, and in Austin, Texas. Here is a picture of what USED TO BE in Austin:

And you could buy it by the pound. Now you can't get it there anymore.

You can buy VERY VERY SMALL pieces, pebble size, from a VERY FEW places online, like ASG Glass. Here is the website:

ASG

Notice how there are no big rocks available. Only small stones. Yet people still want big ones for their yards and aquariums.

Here you go:

See how pretty that is?

Now, that it's no longer available easily in the US (and if you want to buy slag from China, you need to buy a metric ton....) it's getting drier out there for buyers.

Check out this listing for over a hundred bucks:

ebay

That person's glass rock only weighed 3lbs. I can tell yours from your dollar bill reference, it has to weigh more. And therefore it is worth more.

How I know it: I have sold Slag once I found out the value. Getting $30 to $80 for some glass rocks I paid between $3 and $5 for in the early 1990s for an aquarium I had when I was kid. We had huge aquariums all over our house and this was a cheap/pretty decoration for it. None of us had any idea it was an investment LOL but when I realized the demand, I sold.

Nice find, whether it's sold or kept, it's gorgeous.

edit on 9-4-2014 by Springer because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 02:24 AM
link   

DenyFlatulence
reply to post by SixX18

If that is the case, then how did it get there, and why are there possibly more of these near a sulfur creek bed that originates from a cave? Not saying it is not slag, because they look very much the same. Just can't rule out that it isn't natural, and what else it could be.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by SixX18

Your flood theory is also possible, but it seems more likely to me it was just dumped. To be moved it in a flood, there would have to be some serious water current happening, but it's definitely possible.

More than likely, someone got tired of it, considered it junk, because it used to be practically junk, and just dumped it.

If you think there are more pieces, you should go collect them, wash them up, and either use them as some neat looking decor, or bust em up on eBay. You go by SIZE if you go on eBay though okay, don't get fooled into selling for fifty bucks because you see a lot of it going for that low. The pieces going for that low, are much smaller. You are lucky to have a huge, basketball size piece. The bigger, the rarer.

Editted: Why I know about eBay: 10 year + Top Rated Powerseller, have sold Slag before. It's probably obvious by what I've already said, that I'm a seller, but just to clarify...I'm a seller.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Its Amazing, thought I'll look up some South African crystals because they are so common here, on the net, but not much South African info.

I came across this article, wow not in South Africa either, I thought the ones here were big. [www.canyonsworldwide.com...]http://www.canyonsworldwide.com/crystals/mainframe3.html[/url]

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Ameilia

Very good post Ameilia! If this is the case, still a mystery as to how it got there. Is it possible trains used to carry these? We had railways in the mountains, even bridges a crossed valleys that were over a hundred feet in height, and very narrow. Up behind where I grew up there was an old steam engine that derailed and they left it there as it was impossible, or more like impractical to remove it for how far in the woods and mountains it was. Only one local to date, as far as we know, has found it, and could not find it again despite trying. But it is written in history, on paper, from when the derail happened. Perhaps, this was from a train, not in area of derail, but could be along many tracks that used to cover the areas near the river and cross the creeks. Possibly just fell off the car? Also I found a plane that crashed into the side of the mountain, there is a story behind it if anyone wants to know, and it wasn't a secret. They found and recovered the luggage and bodies, and people even stole the engines later on as they couldn't, or didn't remove the wreckage from the mountains. Maybe even something similar caused this "slag" (if that is what it is) to fall to the earth and plop into the ground as it was found.

Mod Note: Excessive Quoting – Please Review This Link
edit on Sat Apr 12 2014 by Jbird because: replaced large quote with reply to:

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by SixX18

It seems possible it could have been on a train. All the end of day glass (slag and cullet) was collected up and then sold to landscaping and aquarium stores. I first saw slag in an aquarium store when I was 4 years old (29 years ago!) and absolutely BEGGED my mom to get some for our aquarium.

Seems like as it was being distributed to different aquarium/landscape stores, or to a warehouse which sold say, aquarium supplies to small aquarium stores, it could have been transported via rail. But that's a guess. I certainly never SAW a train carrying it. Just rail is a common way to transport goods, is all I know.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Ameilia
reply to post by SixX18

Your flood theory is also possible, but it seems more likely to me it was just dumped. To be moved it in a flood, there would have to be some serious water current happening, but it's definitely possible.

More than likely, someone got tired of it, considered it junk, because it used to be practically junk, and just dumped it.

If you think there are more pieces, you should go collect them, wash them up, and either use them as some neat looking decor, or bust em up on eBay. You go by SIZE if you go on eBay though okay, don't get fooled into selling for fifty bucks because you see a lot of it going for that low. The pieces going for that low, are much smaller. You are lucky to have a huge, basketball size piece. The bigger, the rarer.

Editted: Why I know about eBay: 10 year + Top Rated Powerseller, have sold Slag before. It's probably obvious by what I've already said, that I'm a seller, but just to clarify...I'm a seller.

As far as floods, the last big one we had was 2-3 years ago. It crippled the area. A section of Bloomsburg (look it up) was destroyed when Fishing Creek backed up from the Susquahana being so flooded, and it literally carved a path through our fairgrounds (The Bloomsburg Fair, one of the largest fairs on the east coast), and wiped out many houses, and left many with little to nothing. The national guard was called in. We also had mudslides, and all sorts of bad mother nature that year. Many floods the past few, and I even drove through some creeks that were 10 times deeper and wider, and thinking back, lucky the road didn't cave in. I was determined to get home, but it was a huge disaster. Everyone was out of work for weeks, and lots of businesses moved, or built their own flood levies and drainage systems because the town wouldn't, due to the fact that it would cause the levies down river to flood, seeing they were already to their limits, and other levies upriver would make the flood even worse. I have no doubt this could have been moved by a flood.... it moved bridges and houses.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Ameilia
reply to post by SixX18

It seems possible it could have been on a train. All the end of day glass (slag and cullet) was collected up and then sold to landscaping and aquarium stores. I first saw slag in an aquarium store when I was 4 years old (29 years ago!) and absolutely BEGGED my mom to get some for our aquarium.

Seems like as it was being distributed to different aquarium/landscape stores, or to a warehouse which sold say, aquarium supplies to small aquarium stores, it could have been transported via rail. But that's a guess. I certainly never SAW a train carrying it. Just rail is a common way to transport goods, is all I know.

Mind you this was a hundred or more years ago, steam engines, and what I think is if it is slag, from a train..... it was during the industrial revolution.

This also seems plausible, from that cave. I, and almost no one, has actually went far enough back to explore it. Looks like I found something on my summer bucket list!
www.canyonsworldwide.com...
edit on 4/11/14 by SixX18 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 02:45 AM
link   

SixX18

Ameilia
reply to post by SixX18

As far as floods, the last big one we had was 2-3 years ago. It crippled the area. A section of Bloomsburg (look it up) was destroyed when Fishing Creek backed up from the Susquahana being so flooded, and it literally carved a path through our fairgrounds (The Bloomsburg Fair, one of the largest fairs on the east coast), and wiped out many houses, and left many with little to nothing. The national guard was called in. We also had mudslides, and all sorts of bad mother nature that year. Many floods the past few, and I even drove through some creeks that were 10 times deeper and wider, and thinking back, lucky the road didn't cave in. I was determined to get home, but it was a huge disaster. Everyone was out of work for weeks, and lots of businesses moved, or built their own flood levies and drainage systems because the town wouldn't, due to the fact that it would cause the levies down river to flood, seeing they were already to their limits, and other levies upriver would make the flood even worse. I have no doubt this could have been moved by a flood.... it moved bridges and houses.

Sounds like a logical theory then, to think it was transported there via floodwater/mudslide, probably from someone's front yard. And whoever lost that, they probably picked it out piece by piece, carefully placed it throughout their gardens, and appreciated it for it's beauty. That's sad!

But, it has been found now and is being appreciated again.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Ameilia

SixX18

Ameilia
reply to post by SixX18

Sounds like a logical theory then, to think it was transported there via floodwater/mudslide, probably from someone's front yard. And whoever lost that, they probably picked it out piece by piece, carefully placed it throughout their gardens, and appreciated it for it's beauty. That's sad!

One thing is, apparently is was pretty high up above the creek bed from what we did gather (he wouldn't tell us because if it is worth a ton he wants to reserve the secrecy to go back and hunt for others, because who wouldn't want to make some money off of a find like that! Like a gold rush! But as far as he is concerned, he doesn't want to get rid of it. After all, he is a local celeb for finding it, and it does draw attention from some babes.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 02:56 AM
link   

SixX18

Ameilia

SixX18

Ameilia
reply to post by SixX18

One thing is, apparently is was pretty high up above the creek bed from what we did gather (he wouldn't tell us because if it is worth a ton he wants to reserve the secrecy to go back and hunt for others, because who wouldn't want to make some money off of a find like that! Like a gold rush! But as far as he is concerned, he doesn't want to get rid of it. After all, he is a local celeb for finding it, and it does draw attention from some babes.

I would just put it in my yard. It's cooler having found it than if a person just buys it. If I were broke and desperate, I'd sell it. But otherwise, much cooler to just have it and have the story behind it.

If he does want to hunt some down to sell, tell him to pick up ALL the pieces. Not just the giant ones. The small ones are still worth money, and even really small ones, can be grouped up like "Lot of 12 small pieces 1" to 3" (blah blah blah)" and still get good money for them.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by SixX18

No quartz has bubbles in it that size. And it's definitely not Green Obsidian. Again bubbles and rarity.
I don't know what else it could be? Other than man made slag. Which it is.

I'd be as happy as a puppy with diphallia if I found that anywhere though!
Awseome find!!

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Ameilia

SixX18

Ameilia

SixX18

Ameilia
reply to post by SixX18

I would just put it in my yard. It's cooler having found it than if a person just buys it. If I were broke and desperate, I'd sell it. But otherwise, much cooler to just have it and have the story behind it.

If he does want to hunt some down to sell, tell him to pick up ALL the pieces. Not just the giant ones. The small ones are still worth money, and even really small ones, can be grouped up like "Lot of 12 small pieces 1" to 3" (blah blah blah)" and still get good money for them.

I will forward this information to him, and maybe help him out as he has been laid off, it could be some extra cash, plus a great outdoor experience just spending a few days hiking and camping that location. Like I said he wasn't looking to sell, but maybe we can adventure out there and find more, and if anything, can use it for a cool aquarium.

DenyFlatulence No quartz has bubbles in it that size. And it's definitely not Green Obsidian. Again bubbles and rarity.

Awseome find!!

Either way it is a very cool find! I'm a little disappointed it's probably slag, as he will be too, but with the info gathered, this isn't that disappointing, because it is def something rare either way. At least for finding it in the middle of no where! I agree with the bubbles, though very few, crystal wouldn't have such bubbles. I still am trying to find someone locally who is an expert that can for sure say this isn't a crystal, and as I said, maybe we can go out and find more, as another friend said he has seen while drifting down the creek.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Way too many off topic posts for me to wade through this.

Shine a UV flashlight on it. It if glows green, you have uranium glass.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by gariac

Shine a UV flashlight on it. It if glows green, you have uranium glass.

I can tell just by looking at it it's not uranium glass.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 03:18 AM
link   
I've found a chunk of glass slag in the woods in a creek bed, about that size. It's not quartz. It's glass. Use it for a door stop back at the Bedlam Farm in Georgia. No idea how it got there.

eta: It's clear, it looks just like that, and it's got bubbles in. It doesn't cleave like quartz. Slight greenish tint too.
edit on 11-4-2014 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by SixX18

Hi!
I'm in PA also & we found some of this when we were kids.
Way out in the woods near a stream fed, small lake.
A piece was sticking out of the ground & we dug & found quite a bit more.
Older people told us it was glass slag. We wondered how it got there too!
The only glass plant in recent memory was about an hour away!
They said the air bubbles inside it were one way you could tell.

We didn't find anything very large, but a couple of people in our town,
have big chunks of it decorating their front yards.
I always wanted to knock on the door & ask them if they found it in the same place.
I was surprised it never got stolen! Their house is real close to the road in town.

What we found was varying shades of green like glass Coke bottles used to be made of.
The other people have clear, green & a cobalt blue, the color of old time medicine bottles.
My sister found a bright yellow piece at a yard sale once.

Some of it looks dirty in spots on the outside,
like it was dumped on the ground when it was still molten, & the glass fused to the dirt.
Some have pits on the outside, like air bubbles burst on the surface.
The weird part is, there are no sharp places except the little pits themselves!
Even the edges of the big flat surfaces, that look broken, aren't sharp.

One of life's little mysteries!!!
Neat to see something about this after at least 50 years!
I'll be interested to see if anyone knows more about it!
WOQ

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 03:21 AM
link   

SixX18

Ameilia

SixX18

Ameilia

SixX18

Ameilia
reply to post by SixX18

I will forward this information to him, and maybe help him out as he has been laid off, it could be some extra cash, plus a great outdoor experience just spending a few days hiking and camping that location. Like I said he wasn't looking to sell, but maybe we can adventure out there and find more, and if anything, can use it for a cool aquarium.

DenyFlatulence No quartz has bubbles in it that size. And it's definitely not Green Obsidian. Again bubbles and rarity.

Awseome find!!

Either way it is a very cool find! I'm a little disappointed it's probably slag, as he will be too, but with the info gathered, this isn't that disappointing, because it is def something rare either way. At least for finding it in the middle of no where! I agree with the bubbles, though very few, crystal wouldn't have such bubbles. I still am trying to find someone locally who is an expert that can for sure say this isn't a crystal, and as I said, maybe we can go out and find more, as another friend said he has seen while drifting down the creek.

Don't let him be disappointed! He went out and came back with something is 1.) Cool and 2.) Worth a bit of money. How many people do that on a day hike?

If he wants personal assistance in getting an eBay listing done up correctly do insure the highest possible selling price, you guys can send me a private message and I will proof the listing, point out whatever needs to be touched up, etc. He may very well want to sell if he is between jobs. This is the kind of windfall that won't fix all your problems but can sure make things much easier than they would have been otherwise. I've been there...we all have.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join