It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GLASS ROCK found in woods (photos embedded) Need expert analysis.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Want some educated people, experts, and geologists to give some feed back.

A good friend was hiking nearby and found this buried mostly in the ground. Look at the photos I uploaded using Photobucket, then read on.

-The object is roughly the size of a bowling ball, and also around the same weight, IMO slightly heavier. 15-25lbs. Could be more, but I don't want to exaggerate as we had no scale present. It is very clear all the way through, with a slight greenish tint. In the photos we had a flash from a cell phone lighting it so we can see the detail in the photos more accurately, but it does look a bit blue from the LED flash. There are small bubbles spread throughout, which IMO are from moisture, impurities, or air pockets. They are very small, half the size of a BB (ammo for an air gun), at the biggest. The glass rock was found in the woods, and was partially buried. Location was in the middle of nowhere, with no builds, factories, roads, or anything else man-made around, and the area is not heavily traveled. They were out hunting, scouting for locations to hunt, or just exploring. I was not informed as to why there, but he is an outdoor kind of guy. I believe, although wouldn't tell me the location, I have heard of other similar sightings of this kind of object. It is near a creek that had sulfur in it, and supported no fish for quite some time, and the creek starts inside of a cave/mine. This I am not sure of, but when I brought it up the conversation got more in depth, so it may be useful information.

-Found in Pennsylvania. Claims near Berwick, but also could be in that region closer to Catawissa. Catawissa Creek is a location I suspect I will mention further down.

-In West Virginia and Pennsylvania some glass rocks are found, but are very black, and caused by volcanic activity (I know of no active volcanoes in the area, but a few mountains and hills do resemble the shape, maybe from thousands of years ago).

-At first he told me he thought it was Sand Stone struck by lightning. Sand is Silicone Dioxide, which is glass. I found images using Google, but they are not clear like this, but more like a rock, infused.

-We debated amoungst ourselves and others at the bar (Were not intoxicated yet, was when first arrived and on first beers, also talked about this on the way to the bar while sober, and he found this sober.)

-Some people said it looked like a chunk of man-made glass.

-Some thought a meteorite.

-Searching on our smartphones, we found similar glass rocks in desserts, slightly different in color.

-All the sides seem pretty smooth with a very small "wave" like texture, as if it was broken possibly.

Lets hear some answers, educated guesses. I don't want this to get off topic. Pictures of such objects are welcome, whether similar or identical. Even some that can cancel out certain types of rocks/materials.

My friend would really like to know what this is, how rare it is, where it came from, how it was formed, and also.... HOW MUCH IS THIS WORTH.

Some smaller sized similar objects with a google search showed them to be worth from a few hundred to a few grand, and nothing half the size of this.

edit on 4/11/14 by SixX18 because: Embedded Photos (Let me know if you cannot see them)

edit on 4/11/14 by SixX18 because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/11/14 by SixX18 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by SixX18

ooooohhh...I love a good mystery. I haven't a clue what this object is made of, but I'm piqued by your pics and story.

Am following while waiting for the experts to chime in.

Tell your friend, excellent find. Don't get so drunk, you drop and break it...

Des

+4 more 
posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Wow!!! Bud drafts for .99 cents!! How big are the cups???

Seriously though...it's gotta be glass...it's so clear & it's really big...I just can't see it being anything other than that.

Very cool find

+5 more 
posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by SixX18

A left over from a glass factory that has long since
disappeared?

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Destinyone
reply to post by SixX18

ooooohhh...I love a good mystery. I haven't a clue what this object is made of, but I'm piqued by your pics and story.

Am following while waiting for the experts to chime in.

Tell your friend, excellent find. Don't get so drunk, you drop and break it...

Des

This was about 2 weeks ago, I just now got around to making a thread as we haven't the clue as to what it actually is, 'nore do the locals. It is safe and will not be broken, even though we got pretty drunk that night lol.

coldkidc[/] Wow!!! Bud drafts for .99 cents!! How big are the cups???

haha I knew someone would say it from the pics. Everyday, everything on draft is $.99, and 1 pint glass. But let's stay on subject. (PS: cup in pic is my ice water, not the size of the pint glass, more like half the size, for those of you using it as a size reference, compare it to the dollars, and the hand someone waved by lol)

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Hey Randy. Thanks for joining in the drinking game of name that thing....

Des

(post by Domo1 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 12:37 AM
link   

randyvs
reply to post by SixX18

A left over from a glass factory that has long since
disappeared?

This is something we considered, however nothing in that area ever existed. The location, though I don't know exactly, I was assured is where no buildings could have possibly been. On a hill, near a creek, and very rocky area. The chances of someone leaving it there are unlikely, and that anyone even has traveled that exact spot, very rare. Not saying this isn't the case, but it was just luck he saw it, and it was partially buried.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by SixX18

You mentioned a possible mine and creek coming out of a mine opening? Have you googled the geographical area of where the object was found with crystal deposits?

Example: Little City mines crystal deposits. You fill in Little City with your area.
\
Des

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

OP and his partner should heat it up and make their own personalized beer mugs.
edit on Ram41114v43201400000039 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

(post by Domo1 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Destinyone
reply to post by SixX18

You mentioned a possible mine and creek coming out of a mine opening? Have you googled the geographical area of where the object was found with crystal deposits?

Example: Little City mines crystal deposits. You fill in Little City with your area.
\
Des

Most locals know of creek. It could very well be a crystal. How would you like that rock on your finger

randyvs
OP and partner should heat it up and make there own personalized bar mugs.
That is a great idea, but it could be worth some $$$, let's figure out this mystery first!

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 12:44 AM
link   

randyvs

Maybe not, Randy. I have an 8" diameter polished crystal ball in my collection. I paid a fortune for it. I'd have never in a million years paid that much for a drinking mug made out of it.

But, I kinda still like your idea as a gift for the man who has everything.

Des

edit on 11-4-2014 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 12:46 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Somebody has to go there....

Research news
Study of two large crystal skulls in the collections of the British Museum and the Smithsonian Institution
British Museum skull
The British Museum crystal skull

The life-size carving of a human skull in the British Museum collection was made from a single block of quartz crystal (a clear colourless variety of quartz known as rock crystal). According to Museum records, the skull was acquired in 1897 from Tiffany and Co., New York, through Mr George Frederick Kunz.
www.britishmuseum.org...

Perhaps your object was on it's way to becoming one of these...

Des

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Looks like a partially finished (or broken) crystal skull.

In the first image, near the front bottom, almost looks like the teeth. Is this just a play of light?

crystal skulls

ETA: ha! We posted at the same time.

edit on 11-4-2014 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Destinyone

randyvs

Maybe not, Randy. I have an 8" diameter polished crystal ball in my collection. I paid a fortune for it. I'd have never in a million hears paid that much for a drinking mug made out of it.

But, I kinda still like your idea as a gift for the man who has everything.

Des

For my friends sake I hope it is worth a fortune, but foremost, we would just like to know what this is. Where are the geologists!? Let's get some Stars and Flags so maybe some experts can see this topic!

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 12:52 AM
link   

You're prolly right Des, alcohol and extreme heat just
can't be a good idea.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 12:54 AM
link   

westcoast
Looks like a partially finished (or broken) crystal skull.

In the first image, near the front bottom, almost looks like the teeth. Is this just a play of light?

crystal skulls

ETA: ha! We posted at the same time.

edit on 11-4-2014 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

We even had that theory, about the crystal skulls. Quarts is abundant in this area, but no one we have talked to has ever seen anything this pure and large. The air bubbles also are curious, as I don't think that quarts has bubbles, despite how small and sparse they are in this glass rock.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by SixX18

Just an idea... Is there a lot of sand under the surface in the area you found the object? Have you ever seen lightning glass? It does tend to be fractal in it's shaping, but if a large enough bolt of lightning is concentrated in one area, meaning the primary or originating arm, it is possible for the plasma to produce a very large fused silica object. I don't know if that is what it is, but it's a suggestion ;-)

Cheers - Dave

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join