It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

100 Facts About The Moral Collapse Of America That Are Almost Too Crazy To Believe

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

You could make the argument that a society that robs so much from its citizens that they cannot afford to have as many children as they might like is an immoral one, seeing as how taxation is basically legalized theft and burdensome taxation becomes an immorality of its own.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   

ketsuko
reply to post by tothetenthpower

You could make the argument that a society that robs so much from its citizens that they cannot afford to have as many children as they might like is an immoral one, seeing as how taxation is basically legalized theft and burdensome taxation becomes an immorality of its own.

Well that would be true, except nations who pay more taxes, like the ones in Europe have much better statistics for math, science, literature, average live expectancy, rate of disease etc..

Even in good ol' Canada where I pay roughly 45% tax if I include GST/HST, our people are better off than Americans in a variety of different fields.

~Tenth
edit on 4/10/2014 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   

xuenchen
Welllllll..

What seems to be causing the 100+ million cases of STD's ?

Something ain't right somewhere.

I would blame the religious right that do not want to teach their children about sex, and don't seem to remember what it is like to be a horny teen. "Don't do that honey", it didn't work 100 years ago, and doesn't work now. Abstinence only education has been proved to fail, but time and time again, some evangelical bunch of yahoos comes out to defend it.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 09:02 PM
link   

tothetenthpower
reply to post by xuenchen

Gee lets see.

Maybe it's the lack of sex education in schools?

Or the selling of sex to everybody via advertising, yet telling young men and women they are wrong and immoral for pursuing sex during the times they should learning about such things?

Maybe it's the economic decay of the middle class, forcing more and more people to take jobs that pay nothing for work that is far too strenuous.

There are a VARIETY of reasons why America is in decline and it certainly has nothing to do with morals.

~Tenth

Sensible points.

But don't those have an effect on morals in general?

The education systems and media and TV etc. affect how people think and act.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Try global..
If it took 100,000 years for the population of the world to reach one billion
but just 170 years more for this figure to quadruple, there's bound to be problems
feel free to apply this to pretty much any modern day quandary
human out

link   
Sex, drugs... no rock and roll?! Religion. The choice to be single. Why not? Seeing as sex is so wild and free (not...we're repressed and that's probably half the problem) and divorce rates is so high. The horror.

So societal "norms" are changing somewhat for a variety of reasons, technology highest among them.

No religion is a bad thing? Says who?

Almost every single one of these things is really none of anyone else's business to set a norm for. And certainly not anything to judge anyone or anything by or totally freak out about. Especially seeing as there were fewer ways to track any of this in the past. Things are just reported as news or facts now and it spreads like wildfire and we think it's an epidemic. Everyone overshares and overanalyzes everything.

Are there some real issues among these? Sure. But they're not nearly as pervasive or inexplicable as they appear here and certainly did not manifest in a vacuum or just suddenly appear for no reason.

And so many of these "facts" aren't.

Seriously, this is just a wide conglomeration of dissociated items in an attempt to label all as lacking or declining morality. To actually prove this would take a whole lot more analysis than this.

Clickbait like this just makes me want to hurl. I bet that's 101 on the list. We hurl too much lately at crap like this.

edit on 4/10/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by BubbaJoe

I received abstinence only ... somehow, it worked pretty well for me. They taught all sorts of stuff about sex and STDs and at every step of the way, they drove home the message that no matter how safe our sex was, what birth control methods we used (and they taught all of them), the only 100% method was not to do it in the first place - you know, abstinence.

Of course, I'm sure you would have found it substandard because they didn't actually teach us all the techniques for pleasuring each other, but I don't think that's necessary. There should be some mystery to sex, some discovery.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   

BubbaJoe

xuenchen
Welllllll..

I would blame the religious right that do not want to teach their children about sex, and don't seem to remember what it is like to be a horny teen. "Don't do that honey", it didn't work 100 years ago, and doesn't work now. Abstinence only education has been proved to fail, but time and time again, some evangelical bunch of yahoos comes out to defend it.

Actually I'm sure the RR has an effect.

But if the offspring of the RR were going off course so to speak in great numbers, they would have gotten off that road by now.

It's been several generations.

And there ain't a 100 million RR I don't think.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Did I miss something ? When did America ever have morals ?

Last I read the history books, it was a country founded on slavery, land that was essentially stolen from Native Americans, by founding Fathers who practiced all sorts of religions, many that the churches today would consider blasphemous. We are one of the few countries left to still practice the death penalty (not that others don't do it behind closed doors) and still point our fingers at everyone else around the world for trampling human rights.This country started off with very good ideas on what it wanted to be...what it was suppose to be and has become exactly what we have built it into...an ethically challenged, greedy, cesspool of finger pointing hypocrites whom believe we are always right.

With that said, I still believe there is hope for our country and yes I believe morals have to play a part but before we can decide to do this right we must decide on some common morals...in other words who's morals are we to follow, yours or mine as we all have different morals. My guess is that until we learn to live by our own morals we will continue the slide into a decadent shadow of what we could be.

I also believe that America is a better place than many out there...we still have the right to complain about our country as long as we stay inside the "Free Speech" zone. We still have the use of twitter as long as we don't bully someone or say something against a minority group lest we be shunned, boycotted or jailed. Yes there is hope but it will never come from morals. It has to come each of us living our own morals and leaving the others alone to live their own...yes there must be laws and their are common ones we all can live by but make no mistake it is up to each of us.
edit on 4/10/2014 by DJMSN because: corrections

edit on 4/10/2014 by DJMSN because: corrections

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   

xuenchen

BubbaJoe

xuenchen
Welllllll..

Actually I'm sure the RR has an effect.

But if the offspring of the RR were going off course so to speak in great numbers, they would have gotten off that road by now.

It's been several generations.

And there ain't a 100 million RR I don't think.

26% of Americans claim to be evangelical Christians, so your 100 mil number is probably pretty close, and they haven't changed their song. I spent several years in the "lifestyle" (swinging), and was absolutely appalled at the number of those in that lifestyle that claimed to be staunch Christians. I left Christianity many years ago, but damn sure never thought that my teacher on Sunday morning had been committing to what amounted to Biblical adultery on Saturday night.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   

But don't those have an effect on morals in general? [

In a way yes, there are things that we can all agree are moral or immoral, like killing somebody, or hurting children for example.

This like who you have sex with and why however aren't that easy to classify in one or another. It's quite the grey area, and I would say that's true for most things related to morality and how people feel about it.

~Tenth

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   

So because you knew some folks who were Christians on Sunday and did whatever they wanted the rest of the week, you think that's what the rest of us are like? Hokey, dokey ...

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I've read a few rise and fall of nations type books.. In them you can see a coarse or pattern that all seem to follow.. The government acceptance of same sex marriage, drugs etc is always the final few..

There is a marked decline in traditional morals just in the last few decades.. You can argue morals are subjective but I'm sure you didn't always believe that way.. When we were younger and witnessed 2 men or woman holding hands and kissing. We found that strange and peculiar. Now that we are grown and enlightened, or just hardened and calloused, it's alright as long as no one is getting hurt.

When I was growing up we never locked our doors or took the keys out of the car (and no I'm not 90) it amazes me how much has changed for the worse in the last 30 years..

How can this be if we're getting smarter, more evolved or enlightened? If this paradigm that so many adhere to is true. Then why are things getting more chaotic rather than better?

Many so called enlightened ones accuse the Christians and their archaic views and beliefs, are hindering the spiritual evolution of humanity. If they can be removed or just die, a new age of peace and higher vibration would usher in.

That ideology pegged my BS meter..

Murders are up, sexual morality is up, abortions/child sacrifice is up (come on call it what it is) The % of abortions due to rape and incest is surprising low compared to the number preformed every year.

Anyways I'm digressing.. Excellent post OP, You really got me thinking, my long winded partially derailing reply is testament to that.. I love a thought provoking topic and you pushed some buttons with me...

If history repeats itself and I'm convinced it does. Our current coarse will bear fruit in the near future. A lot of those I speak to have a heaviness or oppressive feeling that something major is about to happen. Most say they feel it's not good..

I find it surprising that this feeling of impending doom is happening at the same time our nation IMO is in a spiraled out of control moral decline.

That couldn't possibly have anything to do with our current new take on morality though

Anyways I'm going to rummage for those books because I know I'm about to be called out on them..

Once again OP, nice thread SF

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   

tothetenthpower

In a way yes, there are things that we can all agree are moral or immoral, like killing somebody, or hurting children for example.

~Tenth

Except that's not true. There are people who don't really agree that those things are immoral for whatever reason.

So, you either have your moral absolutes or you don't and are a moral relativist.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   

ketsuko

I received abstinence only ... somehow, it worked pretty well for me. They taught all sorts of stuff about sex and STDs and at every step of the way, they drove home the message that no matter how safe our sex was, what birth control methods we used (and they taught all of them), the only 100% method was not to do it in the first place - you know, abstinence.

Of course, I'm sure you would have found it substandard because they didn't actually teach us all the techniques for pleasuring each other, but I don't think that's necessary. There should be some mystery to sex, some discovery.

I have no problem with that type of abstinence only education, and I would agree that the only 100% method is abstinence. I do not think that the techniques should be taught, but I also think that tolerance for those that behave differently should be taught, as long as it is between consenting adults (or those of at least consenting age)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   

"Blah, blah, blah...STD....blah, blah, blah..."

Jeez...

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Riffrafter

"Blah, blah, blah...STD....blah, blah, blah..."

Jeez...

LOL

That wasn't the main point of the OP.

The story steers it that way.

But there's more to it.

btw, why do you think America has 100+ million STD cases?

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

moral relativist.

Yah, I can agree with that.

Although personally I would consider anybody who believes murder or hurting of children to be immoral, actually evil in that sense, but I see where that's also relatively subjective.

~Tenth

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 09:27 PM
link   

ketsuko

So because you knew some folks who were Christians on Sunday and did whatever they wanted the rest of the week, you think that's what the rest of us are like? Hokey, dokey ...

No that is pretty common, but for people to get on a website where they met their partners, and proclaim their staunch Christianity I found somewhat appalling. I have met a lot of professed Christians in my life, but those that practice what they preach are few and far in between. I think most Christians, as well as agnostics and atheist would agree with this statement.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I blame hollywood and facebook gotta be cool and get them likes to be somebody

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join