It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

100 Facts About The Moral Collapse Of America That Are Almost Too Crazy To Believe

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 09:30 PM
link   
All this stuff about us having the highest this and the highest that in the industrialized world.

Well, I'll tell you what, we also have the one of, if not the, highest percentages of religious people in the industrialized world. We also have one of the worst safety net programs, one of the highest income disparity ratings, and our rankings in economic freedom slip every single year, while our ranking in press freedom is tanking fast over the last few years.

This article has a lot of facts about marriage going out and sexual promiscuity stats and high divorce rates. It doesn't make any sense when you see that we're one of the least secularized cultures in the industrial world.

Maybe it has something to do with education, high income disparity, and a culture built around the love of money. Instead of the falling away of traditional values. Because if it was due to those, then I would logically expect us to be amongst the best in the industrialized world instead of the worst.

I find the statistics interesting, but what the article seems to be getting at I find a bit lacking and contraindicated.
edit on 10-4-2014 by AnIntellectualRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I can't believe that many Americans, almost half, would have no care or thought on the afterlife. It's my belief that spirituality is so important, because it can have an impact on the works one does prior to death, how we treat each other. I am talking religion, Buddhism, worshiping nature or the universe....all of the above and then some.

If someone who had no thought about heaven/hell or the concept of an afterlife, they could go around treating people like crap, being violent towards humans and animals, all around just morally corrupt. Then we see on the news some guy goes and rams a car in to a day care center and people wonder why this kind of thing seems to be occurring more and more. People just don't care, it's sickening.

This number has really opened my eyes, big time. America is morally bankrupt.

Today I am trying to stay positive and look at the glass as half full, it's good to know that 55% of Americans do think about it.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 09:33 PM
link   

ketsuko

tothetenthpower

In a way yes, there are things that we can all agree are moral or immoral, like killing somebody, or hurting children for example.

~Tenth

Except that's not true. There are people who don't really agree that those things are immoral for whatever reason.

So, you either have your moral absolutes or you don't and are a moral relativist.

I am pretty sure that there are somethings we can agree on Thou shall not steal, lie, or kill. Many others will agree with "Do what you will, but harm ye none" One Abrahamic religions, the other Wiccan. Who sets our morality, it is up to each man or woman to determine their own morality, outside of a few things.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 09:35 PM
link   

And therein lies the problem ... If you are a moral relativist, you let yourself tacitly agree with a lot of things you tell yourself you really think are evil. You do it because you don't want to be mean or judgmental by being an absolutist.

Look, you say murder is wrong. But person A says it is permissible in his culture, so you say, it is always wrong for me and I think it's evil, but who am I to judge you and your culture. So, under those circumstances, murder is now permissible for you, no matter what noises you made about it being always wrong for you and evil.

So, are you now wrong and evil because you see a time and place where murder is now permissible?

This is the problem with moral relativity. Nothing can ever be wrong because someone somewhere will always find the action you say is wrong to be morally permissible and thus you won't be able to call it wrong.

I prefer to set some absolutes. I don't care what person A or his culture says. Murder is murder.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Jennyfrenzy

I can't believe that many Americans, almost half, would have no care or thought on the afterlife. It's my belief that spirituality is so important, because it can have an impact on the works one does prior to death, how we treat each other. I am talking religion, Buddhism, worshiping nature or the universe....all of the above and then some.

If someone who had no thought about heaven/hell or the concept of an afterlife, they could go around treating people like crap, being violent towards humans and animals, all around just morally corrupt. Then we see on the news some guy goes and rams a car in to a day care center and people wonder why this kind of thing seems to be occurring more and more. People just don't care, it's sickening.

This number has really opened my eyes, big time. America is morally bankrupt.

Today I am trying to stay positive and look at the glass as half full, it's good to know that 55% of Americans do think about it.

I honestly have no fear of the afterlife, I believe that once I leave this earth I am gone. That doesn't mean I cannot help people, or look after others, or try to solve the earth's problems. It just means, that once I am gone, I am gone, doesn't affect how I feel about others while I am here.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 09:40 PM
link   

tothetenthpower

America is crap because it let it's manufacturing, education and economy to be devoured by the greedy and the inept.

This ^ we agree on.

It's actually proven, via studies that the more educated you are, the less children you will have. This is not only due to economic factors, but also environmental concerns with educated people about over population and resource management.

I suggest you google what I am saying and read the appropriate studies. I'm not doing the leg work for you.

This ^..........I don't think so. I don't do studies. I base my opinions and beliefs on what I see in person IRL. I'm not going to base those things on some pencil pusher who averages out stats based on government reports garnered by agencies who have agendas to push, thanks for the offer though. What I see are people struggling to get by on their own, much less with a family. I see companies and corporations being extremely creative with their financing so they can legally get away with paying people less and less as the years go by. I don't need studies to tell me what's going on.

There are no modern societies that could support huge families of more than 3 children.

And that's just a sad truth. It's sad because it's gotten to the point where a family with 8 kids (THAT'S a huge family, not 3) has to have government support. It wasn't that way 100 years ago, it doesn't have to be that way now and people don't have to accept that it's the only way it can be.....yet that's the way it is.

Btw, if the "educated" among us were really that, they would have been able to figure out that large families can sustain a society and vice-versa when you have less of them, resources are sustainable if the distribution is fair and overpopulation would be a non-issue because resources would be better and more evenly distributed to a population that is also more evenly distributed. Instead, these "educated" people want to run away from solving the problem and try to figure out a way to live on Mars. They're not intelligent, they're weird.

edit on 10-4-2014 by Taupin Desciple because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Jennyfrenzy

No, the lack of spirituality doesn't make you a bad person.

Atheists aren't any more likely to commit acts of violence or be sh.tty in general. Actually some studies show they are LESS likely to bother people with mundane BS than spiritual folk are.

And this stat stated specifically HEAVEN. So it only accounts for those who may or may not believe in traditional religions like Christianity or Islam.

It doesn't account for Bhudists who believe in re-incarnation or any of those other ones right?

So, if you don't take into account those particular beliefs, of course you'd think hat.

~Tenth

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

This ^..........I don't think so. I don't do studies. I base my opinions and beliefs on what I see in person IRL. I'm not going to base those things on some pencil pusher who averages out stats based on government reports garnered by agencies who have agendas to push, thanks for the offer though. What I see are people struggling to get by on their own, much less with a family. I see companies and corporations being extremely creative with their financing so they can legally get away with paying people less and less as the years go by. I don't need studies to tell me what's going on.

That's the most ridiculous thing I've read this year.

Going by your logic, you should have NO opinion of anything outside of what you've personally experienced "IRL".

Sorry, but a properly done study is a good study and saying otherwise is just nonsense. The VAST MAJORITY of all scientific research is study and then peer reviewed by more studies after wards.

To disregard that in it's entirety, in favor of what you've personally experienced, is robbing yourself of a non biased perspective on pretty much everything.

~Tenth

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   

sarra1833
So they start this article about the deaths and murders and people going crazy in the USA.
Seems legit.

But after reading the article, they're 'claiming' that this is going on because of sex, abortion, schooling, marriage.....

so done. None of that in MY opinion has any thing to do with people going bonkers. Not at all. Maybe one or two points were aimed at prescription/otc drugs, those COULD be a factor. But not THE reason. And definitely all the points issued have nothing to do with the points in the opening part of the article about 'why American's go crazy'.

Just saw your post sarra.......thanks for reminding me what this conversation was about.......TTTP had me all riled.

People are going "bonkers" as it were because they're getting quietly frustrated at how things are going. Kids especially, because they see what lies in store for them and say " You've gotta be f.....n kiddin me". They're looking to their leaders for leadership when there is none. They don't know which way to turn for answers, God knows they don't have a large family to turn to for support, so they turn to that which is pushed in their faces all day.........sex and violence. They would love to have more choices, but they're given none. None that are popular among their peers at least. Gotta love the group-think.

That's my opinion Sarra. Ask TTTP how subjective that is, he'll be glad to tell you. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go give my kid a hug.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 10:04 PM
link   

The only bias I have is towards you. You gave me my first applause years ago and that made me believe I found a good outlet for my views. To keep discussing this issue with you might tarnish my bias, so I'm just going to agree to disagree with you on these points. Keep it on a positive tip and all.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Never said not being spiritual would make someone a bad person, I do not believe that to be true.

Seems like I would be included in the 46% as I believe in reincarnation. This "study" is obviously biased by only taking in to account the concept of heaven/hell.

However, accountability is not such a bad thing.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

I think there are bigger problems then an alleged moral collapse especially coming from monetheists where on whose watch the world has gone to complete #. Your religions FAILED in being even moderately competent stewards. On your watch/es you have failed, failed, failed. You don't get a say anymore and I don't really care about the perpetrators getting a say or even if there feelings are hurt.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   

About 1,660,290 new cancer cases are expected to be diagnosed in 2013, and in 2013 about 580,350 Americans are projected to die of cancer, almost 1,600 people a day

600,000 people die of heart disease in the United States every year–that’s 1 in every 4 deaths.

Are these statistics also proof of moral decay?

Signs of God's wrath visited upon the wicked?

Or, is it only moral decay if it's about sex - because morality is all about reigning in our naughty bits?

:-)

A so much smaller percentage of humans robbed the majority of humans blind and threw the entire world into a tailspin (and got off scot free), but if a teenager gets an STD the country is falling apart...

What silliness

edit on 4/10/2014 by Spiramirabilis because: silliness

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   

th3dudeabides

I think there are bigger problems then an alleged moral collapse especially coming from monetheists where on whose watch the world has gone to complete #. Your religions FAILED in being even moderately competent stewards. On your watch/es you have failed, failed, failed. You don't get a say anymore and I don't really care about the perpetrators getting a say or even if there feelings are hurt.

Well if it's my fault.

I apologize.

I guess I'll have to tell the other 310,000,000 million people, especially the ones with STD's.

What bigger problems btw?

I'm sure there's a few dozen at least.

Oh and what about solutions?

No solutions soon could be big trouble.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Spiramirabilis

About 1,660,290 new cancer cases are expected to be diagnosed in 2013, and in 2013 about 580,350 Americans are projected to die of cancer, almost 1,600 people a day

600,000 people die of heart disease in the United States every year–that’s 1 in every 4 deaths.

Or, is it only moral decay if it's about sex - because morality is all about reigning in our naughty bits?

A so much smaller percentage of humans robbed the majority of humans blind and threw the entire world into a tailspin (and got off scot free), but if a teenager gets an STD the country is falling apart...

What silliness

edit on 4/10/2014 by Spiramirabilis because: silliness

Perhaps. What do you think causes all those?

Signs of God's wrath visited upon the wicked?
I have no idea. I'm not convinced these problems are caused by religion.

What silliness
Another stumper. Give me some other examples of "moral decay".

I'm not clear on anything.

What's your solution? Or is all this a "non-problem"?

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Perhaps. What do you think causes all those?

Bacon double cheeseburgers, smoking - pollution - too much diet cola? Things yet to be determined...actual things, not naughtiness

I'm not convinced these problems are caused by religion.

That actually comforts me - little bit

Give me some other examples of "moral decay".

Funny - I was going to ask you the same thing

My solution? Disease is never a non-problem. Real world problems require real world solutions...

Chastity belts for everyone!

edit on 4/10/2014 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Do you Even Know what Morality is ? I think not , you have a Very Warped Sense of Thinking . America is in Trouble , alot of it's People have become Morally Bankrupt due to the Propaganda they are Exsposed to every day by those who wish to see the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA Destroyed.......

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

the USA is not the worlds most promiscuous society on earth..

For a second, I thought Saturn was complaining.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

Bacon double cheeseburgers, smoking - pollution - too much diet cola? Things yet to be determined...actual things, not naughtiness

That's kinda what I was suggesting in the OP.

I didn't mention religion (the story suggested it, but more as a "lack of" theme).

Your list is for sure part of it.

I would put Media/TV at the top. Very influential.

and the education systems. Not effective or convincing at lower levels because they say one thing and then the media says different.

Then Food/medical making the top reason more possible. Many people on heavy medications possibly unnecessary.

Lots of diseases.

edit on Apr-10-2014 by xuenchen because:

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   

randyvs
reply to post by SaturnFX

the USA is not the worlds most promiscuous society on earth..

For a second, I thought Saturn was complaining.

I was

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join