It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Foreigners dictating what it means to be British

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Kukri
I was going to add to the discussion after I read the comments but someone decided to derail it and ruined the flow so I left. By the way what exactly was your contribution to the op

See my first post

Directly related to the subject matter at hand - but you have to realise a thread is not cast iron thing, the convo ebbs and flows - if someone brings something up that is a falsehood, you might be able to let it slide but I cannot, hence the replies about the Crown land.

But in all honesty, if you talk about a British identity, you cannot do it without reference to the Monarchy, so it wasn't that OT....

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Freeborn

This is simply politically correct, NWO, mumbo-jumbo and is complete bollocks.

However, I've got to say there does appear to be something of a racist overtone to your OP - I despise racism, of all types.

I find it very amusing that if you said the natives of Africa are black everyone would agree, if you said the natives of India are brown they would agree but if you said the natives of the British isles are white.....that's raciest, you cant say that!

stupidity, I do think

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by LUXUS

According to the left of the political divide, there are no natives, there is no British identity and they're happy to crap all over it.

Labour went on record as saying they tried to socially engineer the country with immigration, in a effort to water down the British identity and bring in some multicultural utopia, full of readily available pro-Labour voters...

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Understood and Ishouldn't os singled you out. Have a pint on me or two. Bloody pubs closed today or I'd be off for one myself(maybe that's why I'm crabby!).
edit on 4/7/2014 by Kukri because: typos

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Kukri

I wish I could, but puling the night shift tonight - I'll bank it for later

Cheers!

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   

deadcalm

What would happen if a bunch of white native British went on Indian national TV and started talking about what it means to be Indian?
reply to post by LUXUS

I find this so thick with irony it's ridiculous. The British roamed the world for centuries subjugating others...dictating how they should live. Enslaving entire nations.

Now that the shoe is on the other foot you whine. How rich is that?

Karma can indeed be a difficult thing to take...can it not?

You reap what you have sown.

edit on 07America/Chicagopm072014-04-07T16:19:27-05:00pmMonday04 by deadcalm because: (no reason given)

Just a load of bitter people really, they love our technology though

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Battleline
reply to post by LUXUS

It would seem you might have something to learn from the U.S. if it is just now bothering you in the UK. This has been going on for awhile in the U.S. and is the base's for illegal immigration, people that don't come here for what America is but what they can make it after leaving a country they have destroyed.
edit on 7-4-2014 by Battleline because: (no reason given)

One big difference, the US is massive, the UK is not, how many times could the UK fit into the US, critical mass will be reached faster in our lands!

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by LUXUS

You have a point, good luck.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by LUXUS

I find it very amusing that if you said the natives of Africa are black everyone would agree, if you said the natives of India are brown they would agree but if you said the natives of the British isles are white.....that's raciest, you cant say that!

Well I for one believe that the vast majority of people living in South Africa of British and Dutch descent are as African as any Bantu or Zulu.

Same as the vast majority of those who emigrated here from the Caribbean / India and other places in the 50's, 60's and 70's are British.
They have integrated, they contribute and they have enhanced our society and enabled it to grow and develop.

One of the problems with some of the more recent immigrants is that they have come here with no regard or respect for their foster nation and its culture and heritage and are actively seeking to change and alter the very fabric of our society. And at times this seems to be with the active compliance and some believe behest of those that truly run this country.

Integration is a natural process - what we have at present seems to be a deliberate attempt at social engineering.
edit on 7/4/14 by Freeborn because: grammar

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   

andy1972

deadcalm

What would happen if a bunch of white native British went on Indian national TV and started talking about what it means to be Indian?
reply to post by LUXUS

I find this so thick with irony it's ridiculous. The British roamed the world for centuries subjugating others...dictating how they should live. Enslaving entire nations.

Now that the shoe is on the other foot you whine. How rich is that?

edit on 07America/Chicagopm072014-04-07T16:19:27-05:00pmMonday04 by deadcalm because: (no reason given)

It's funny how people always harp on about how Britain enslaved the world, and how we went "subjugating" others...lets turn back the clock 300 years and stop the British Empire before it starts.

I'd just love to see how the world would be if Britain HADN'T had an empire..

well, as an american living in hong kong for the last 13yrs, i think the brits did a very good job.

too bad they gave it back to the chinese.

i've been to mainland china and they can keep it.

nothing against the chinese people, (my wife is chinese) and has a british accent.
i prefer HK.

sorry, haven't finished my coffee yet. still trying to wake up.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   

LUXUS

Danbones
reply to post by LUXUS

Why do we tolerate this stupidity, we tolerate this because the same people who are promoting this rubbish through their ownership of the media have also opened the borders to a influx of foreigners from other lands. These foreigners are then strangely consulted on what it means to be British....what a joke.
- See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

lol
the joke is as you just stated in your post accidentally...
far from ending slavery the aryan master race that spawned the gotha family that is the British crown and the banks that own them just brought it home and put YOU and yours under it

enjoy

Amusing for someone who has a Celtic cross as his avatar!

I'm part Irish

and part Indian...and part french
We know all about foreign invasions...
now its your turn and the winjing is never gonna stop
as they say...just lie back and enjoy it

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Freeborn
reply to post by LUXUS

Intersting that you metion Somalians.
Many British black people of Afro-Carribean descent who have integrated and enhanced our culture and dare I say 'National Identity' have a serious dislike of the current wave of Somalian etc immigrants.
edit on 7/4/14 by Freeborn because: grammar

I know, they fight each other, basically west Indians dont like the Somalians imitating them, walking, talking, rapping as if they were from Jamaica.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   

It's funny how people always harp on about how Britain enslaved the world, and how we went "subjugating" others...lets turn back the clock 300 years and stop the British Empire before it starts.

I'd just love to see how the world would be if Britain HADN'T had an empire..

Exactly, many peoples would be still with bow and arrow! when they would see "silver bird" fly over they would say oh that's the gods haha

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Freeborn
reply to post by LUXUS

Well I for one believe that the vast majority of people living in South Africa of British and Dutch descent are as African as any Bantu or Zulu.

I don't see the world as you do then, to me they are still British/Dutch, and deep down they know is which is why many are now trying to return home but the British government is making it difficult for them which I think is a crime, how the hell can it be that peoples who's ancestors come from this place cannot be allowed to return!

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

Ah, the Irish, the world biggest colonising group! The Irish diaspora is unlike anything else in the world..

Then we have the Indians - various petty Kingdoms fighting each other for a long time prior to the arrival of the British or Portuguese (yes, they tried India too!), not least the Mughal Empire which conquered the whole sub-continent.

And lastly, the French.. As prolific in Empire building as the British were and a damned site more brutal about it to boot.

My point being, every nation on Earth has been conquered, has conquered, has been a slave and has enslaved at some point or another. You're not sitting in a particularly strong moral "high ground" here by trying to pin the entirety of the worlds ills on the British.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by LUXUS

The problem with that argument is that no "true" Brit is truly descended from these isles.

We are a combination of the best bits of various European countries.

I would say once the conquering of Britain (somewhere between 1066 and 1688) had stopped on such a mass scale is when "true" British heritage started.

I firmly believe if you want a taste of "true" Britain, then you should cast your sight upon here in the North and Scotland, most of the dialects and culture go way back in history.

Whilst I disagree with the wording of the OP, I can understand the meaning behind it, and to some extent agree with it also, people who are only 2nd or 3rd generation (or especially newcomers) British can't "really" say what it is like to be British, what those of us who are "true" Brits have has been passed down through many, many generations.

Sadly our government(s) cave in too easily to cater for other cultures and yes, British ways are being pushed to the side and lost, and in some cases even banned. It's tragic really.

Look at that woman who got arrested because her kid put a Gollywog in her window . Look at the episodes of classic TV banned for having the wrong things said in them ("Fawlty Towers" and "It aint half hot mum" come to mind).....PC gone mad.
edit on 7/4/14 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Danbones

LUXUS

Danbones
reply to post by LUXUS

Why do we tolerate this stupidity, we tolerate this because the same people who are promoting this rubbish through their ownership of the media have also opened the borders to a influx of foreigners from other lands. These foreigners are then strangely consulted on what it means to be British....what a joke.
- See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

lol
the joke is as you just stated in your post accidentally...
far from ending slavery the aryan master race that spawned the gotha family that is the British crown and the banks that own them just brought it home and put YOU and yours under it

enjoy

Amusing for someone who has a Celtic cross as his avatar!

I'm part Irish

and part Indian...and part french
We know all about foreign invasions...
now its your turn and the winjing is never gonna stop
as they say...just lie back and enjoy it

The part of you that is Irish must be very, very small....because you display hatred towards them yet strangely you are proud enough of them to have their cross as your avatar...how bazaar!

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   
To identify as British is to identify as a serf to both the Crown and the State. Ever since the first king took power through violence and force, those people in ancient times who were the foundations of the modern-day British person, set the precedent of 'status' that remains locked in British culture, which has always been...master and slave.

Obviously, the system of controls have changed over the millennia, but it has always produced the same result, a result that is copied in every other country in the world without exception...and it remains in place to this day. That result is what produces the 1% lording it over the other 99%.

I was born in England, to white English parents, but in spirit have shed any and all identification to English-ness or British-ness, I identify only with being a human being. The fact that I was born and bred in England is now to me an incidental issue, because physically I am a human being, my English-ness or British-ness is an abstraction that kept me enslaved to a system that purposely enslaved me to a culture whose entire history is one of oppression, not only of other people's in other countries - no matter how benign the British empire was alleged to be - but more to the point, it's own people. So successful and for so long has this oppression been that it is encapsulated in traditions and a love of the pomp and circumstance surrounding the Crown through an oscillating nationalism that is brought out of the cupboard every time we play Germany at football, or the queen has a day of celebration in her honour. What the hell has the concept of 'royalty' got to do with our contemporary times? I'll tell you...absolutely nothing.

Until we rid ourselves of our love of fawning over the concept of royalty, Britain will never shed it's love of being a land of the serfs....and consequently, will never be free. The revolution we need is one of the mind. Never, ever, empower another person above yourself, but respect through merit, not fear or envy.
edit on 7/4/14 by elysiumfire because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by elysiumfire

What a load of dog tripe.. I know I said you cannot discuss British identity without the Royals, but at the same time it is not the defining aspect of it either, so all your waffling about them is meaningless.

If you genuinely think that "bowing to the monarch" is the be all and end all of being British, then you truly do not understand what you're chatting about. There is much more than that to it. Being all self-righteous about "being human" is all well and good, but if we all forget our origins, our roots and our culture, then what you have left isn't worth much at all. What would the world be like if everyone dismissed their history and culture? Pretty dull, I should imagine.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   
From 9:30 onwards in the video, can you believe the nerve of the Asian guy who defines Britishness as "not having an identity"

So now the British are a people without a history or identity, if you said that of any other peoples you wouldn't get away with it but its ok because they are white and British...audience is full of a bunch of hate filled racists ! Welcomed into the country but inwardly hate the natives.
edit on 7-4-2014 by LUXUS because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join