It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 year old shoots 11 year old

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I think that children shouldn't have any weapons at ALL and also I'm saying that some parents are irresponsible because since that kid killed a 2 year old it's the parent's fault not the kid's fault. Why would a kid kill a 2 year old ? Well now we know why.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   

JustMike

3u40r15m
Well at least the gun was pointed the right way and he didn't blow his little head off....

If you are trying to be funny, then you failed miserably IMHO.

The tragic, avoidable death of a child is not something to make jokes about.

What is funny about a two year old shooting himself in the face.... Get off your high hat

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   

CthulhuMythos

3u40r15m
Well at least the gun was pointed the right way and he didn't blow his little head off....

Your input makes me feel sick. It lacks understanding of the seriousness of this situation, the psychological damage to all involved who has to live with what happened and compassion for the child who was killed. The imagery of your statement is vile and you have come across as a very low empathy person, in which case maybe you should think and analyse what you are about to say/write before doing so.

Really....The chances of him pointing the gun at himself is alot higher than you think. That outcome is alot worse than the older kid being shot. Both scenarios are not good. But it could have been worse. And you also need a bump off your high hat!

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   
The sad thing is if you suggest gun safety classes or trigger locks especially to parents of small children
the far right will pull a temper tantrum and call you a "communist" or a "gun grabber".

Tragic story. While it's not the first and definetely won't be the last.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   

ausername
reply to post by Feltrick

A 2 year old?

I'm having difficulty imagining how a 2 year old could somehow manage to pick up that gun, and with those tiny little hands and fingers somehow fire it.

I agree, something ain't right here.

I agree. This is pure speculation on my part but IMO what happened was the 14y/o was showing off a bit. Doing some cowboy gunslinger pistol twirlin' or something like that and shot the 11y/o on accident. Then to cover it up, said it was the 2 y/o since he wouldn't get in trouble for it.

I mean hasn't everyone done the same thing when you were a kid??? You spill something in the Garage or break something in the house and what do you do, you blame it on the baby!! Happens all the time, just think back to you're days as a child, it'll come back to ya.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Sorry I didn't realize the 11 year old girls was actually killed. I still stand by my statement saying luckily the kid didn't blow his head off. It's no better in any way since a kid is dead regardless. I should have read the story first and offer my apologies if I offended anyone by my previous post.... I see why some feathers got ruffled. Myyyy baaad....

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

But weapons are a big part of our world, just like driving an automobile is, and should be touched upon. I teach my kids gun safety from a very young age so to take the "mystery" from it and take away their power to want to fool around with it should they ever find one. They know to never put their finger on the trigger. EVER! That's key.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Fylgje

Hate to butt in between you and Phage but I agree that there should be some firearm safety taught in school. A great opportunity for the NRA to step up and offer student training as opposed to offering more armed good guys.

In my opinion, a lot of kids now don't have parents or grandparents teaching them about gun safety. Which, to me, is rather sad.

That said, I would think both sides of the debate would be butting heads over the curriculum to ensure their position(s) were heard.

Seems most on this thread agree that requiring some sort of training, prior to owning, would be good.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   

There are people trying to get gun safety training into schools again.

I grew up with guns, I was taught gun safety by my dad and uncles. Getting together for shooting was a regular thing. Me and my cousins all had bb/pellet guns when we were 5 and .22 rifles and bows at 8-10.

edit on Mon, 07 Apr 2014 10:25:55 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   
This is how the two sides of the gun debate would view this:

Gun control advocates: Keep guns out of the hands of irresponsible people.

Pro-gun lobby: Arm the 11-year old.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Thank you for the link! The proposal sounds like a common sense approach which means it'll never work...just kidding...sort of.

Seems to me if a kid and for that matter, adults treated firearms responsibly and with respect, there would be less accidents. Unfortunately it seems people look at them as toys.

Again, thanks for posting!

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Blackmarketeer
This is how the two sides of the gun debate would view this:

Gun control advocates: Keep guns out of the hands of irresponsible people.

Pro-gun lobby: Arm the 11-year old.

People of common sense could argue from another position and simply say that there really isn't anything that can be done to prevent tragedies like this when irresponsible and careless parents are involved.

If it isn't a gun, maybe it would be prescription drugs where children can access them, chemicals and household poisons, a full bathtub of water left unattended, a child left locked in a car on a hot day, children running wild inside and out unattended... One could go on and on...

What can be done to prevent all of that as well?

Tragedies result from all of the above, more often than many people are aware of.

How do you use law to affect bad parenting?

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   

I have to disagree I am a avid shooter and own several firearms. Training in proper storage of a firearm could have helped. You DO NOT leave a loaded and COCKED handgun laying around, especially with kids. Common sense should have told them that, at the least they are guilty of negligence. There is no excuses for irresponsible gun owners.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Clearly what is needed is a nation-wide ban on Assault-Toddlers
2nd

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I'm a soldier, husband, a parent.

I am also a gun owner and weapons expert.

Guess what? At home I keep my weapons inaccessible to my daughter.

My weapons are left unloaded.

My wife is well versed in the SAFE use and handling of these weapons.
ANYONE who owns a firearm MUST practice safety measures. Especially if you have little ones at home.

I also believe that if you own a firearm and leave it unsecured around children and something does happen, you should be charged with neglect related crimes. Be it neglectful abuse of a child, or negligent homicide/manslaughter, or whatever is appropriate to the circumstances of the incident.

I have a lot of training with weapons. Years of practice. That training has taught me one very important thing when it comes to safety: The day you become complacent is the day you or someone you care about will die.

Keep that in mind folks.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

I think your characterization of us progun folks is unfair hyperbole and not one bit constructive.

I think any reasonable person on either side of that debate should be for punishing the neglectful acts that led to this.
edit on pMon, 07 Apr 2014 13:37:05 -050020147America/Chicago2014-04-07T13:37:05-05:0030vx4 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   

ParanoidAmerican

I have to disagree I am a avid shooter and own several firearms. Training in proper storage of a firearm could have helped. You DO NOT leave a loaded and COCKED handgun laying around, especially with kids. Common sense should have told them that, at the least they are guilty of negligence. There is no excuses for irresponsible gun owners.

I agree, you NEVER leave a loaded and/or cocked firearm laying around...ever. I also agree with your point on common sense and that they are definitely guilty of negligence, though I would go further and say they are guilty of murder.

But I believe that there is NO excuse for an uneducated firearm owner. I believe we need to educate everyone, not just owners, on the proper way to handle firearms. In this way, some kid would hopefully understand that they are NOT toys and to treat them as if they are loaded. Again, you WOULD think that common sense should have told them not to leave a gun laying around, but seems there is a lack of common sense nowadays.

Let me ask, who taught you to handle firearms? If that person(s) weren't in your life, how would you have learned? There are people out there buying firearms (pistols, shotguns, rifles) for home defense who barely understand which end is the business end. As a society, we are doing a fairly crappy job, in my opinion, of setting these folks up for success. I remember a story of some yahoo cleaning his pistol in an upstairs bedroom. Instead of clearing the pistol at the range, he always cleared it in the bedroom...hey, what could happen, right? Well, this time it went off and narrowly missed hitting a family member in the room right below him. Maybe a little education would have prevented this guy from learning the hard way.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Feltrick
I just got an alert text on my phone that read, "Girl, 11 shot, killed by 2 year old in West Philadelphia." So, I open up the "6ABC" news site and read:

Source

Investigators say a male friend of the victim placed the loaded gun on top of the refrigerator, but at some point it was removed from the kitchen and placed in the master bedroom of the home.

Police say the mother was in the bedroom with the four children but left the room briefly when the children began playing with the gun.

Officials say the 2-year-old boy pointed the loaded, cocked gun in the direction of the 11-year-old when it went off, striking her in the arm. The bullet went through her arm and entered her chest.

I want to know what happened to personal responsibility? This has nothing to do with stricter gun control or background checks, but it has everything to do with personal responsibility. What idiot leaves a loaded firearm within the reach of small children?

This kind of news sickens me because I know it will be used by the anti-gun crowd but it has nothing to do with that! Too many times have I read about these stories in which a kid plays with a loaded firearm and kills someone. Instead of background checks, they need to come up with an IDIOT CHECK that scans the potential buyer for IDIOCY. Should we require training prior to purchase?

No, because I know that all the training in the world, all the background checks, all the restrictive Philadelphia gun laws would not have prevented this tragedy. Personal responsibility....

edit on 5-4-2014 by _BoneZ_ because: Fixed source link.

medial propaganda, calm down !!!
more children are dying from starvation than guns... for now at least

What idiot leaves a loaded firearm within the reach of small children?

they did, so what ? will the rain stop, will the Sun stop shining ?

evolution is a tricky thing.. stupidity is coded in the genes

sometimes it is better this way, believe me

and yes I agree...
edit on 7-4-2014 by KrzYma because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   
A quick update concerning the 2yr old suspected of shooting his sister from abclocal.go.com.../local&id=9495040

Police say the mother's boyfriend left a loaded gun on top of the refrigerator.

"Apparently a 14-year-old child finds that gun, takes the gun to the bedroom and places it under the bed," said Lt. John Stanford, Philadelphia Police.

That's where the 2-year-old found it. Police say he pointed it at his sister and said, 'Pow! Pow!'

The boy's hands tested positive for gun powder.

"My thing is to the parents that have younger kids and that have guns in their house to be more aware of what's going on so that situations like this can be prevented," said Quadarah Martin.

So, according to the great Philadelphia PD, the boys hands tested positive for gun powder which means he is most likely the shooter. Unfortunately, Philly PD has not been able to speak to the boyfriend of the mother who is the owner of the pistol. Surprising he can't be found...

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join