It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 year old shoots 11 year old

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I just got an alert text on my phone that read, "Girl, 11 shot, killed by 2 year old in West Philadelphia." So, I open up the "6ABC" news site and read:

Source

Investigators say a male friend of the victim placed the loaded gun on top of the refrigerator, but at some point it was removed from the kitchen and placed in the master bedroom of the home.

Police say the mother was in the bedroom with the four children but left the room briefly when the children began playing with the gun.

Officials say the 2-year-old boy pointed the loaded, cocked gun in the direction of the 11-year-old when it went off, striking her in the arm. The bullet went through her arm and entered her chest.

I want to know what happened to personal responsibility? This has nothing to do with stricter gun control or background checks, but it has everything to do with personal responsibility. What idiot leaves a loaded firearm within the reach of small children?

This kind of news sickens me because I know it will be used by the anti-gun crowd but it has nothing to do with that! Too many times have I read about these stories in which a kid plays with a loaded firearm and kills someone. Instead of background checks, they need to come up with an IDIOT CHECK that scans the potential buyer for IDIOCY. Should we require training prior to purchase?

No, because I know that all the training in the world, all the background checks, all the restrictive Philadelphia gun laws would not have prevented this tragedy. Personal responsibility....

edit on 5-4-2014 by _BoneZ_ because: Fixed source link.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   
What a horrible story ! Parents with children who turn them lose to do as they may usually get what they (parents) deserve... Man I could have gone all year without reading this mess.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Feltrick

Should we require training prior to purchase?
Sure. Why not?
You need training to drive a motorboat.
laws-lois.justice.gc.ca...

No, because I know that all the training in the world, all the background checks, all the restrictive Philadelphia gun laws would not have prevented this tragedy.

Maybe not this one. Who knows, but isn't one better than none? There are an awful lot of accidental gun deaths.

edit on 4/5/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Any and all miss-handling of firearms should be held to the highest accountability,

Be it negligent parents...

Or the Attorney General, and people wonder why personal responsibility is dead in america.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Our Constitutional right to bear arms is part of what makes America great. The percentage of idiot gun owners make the country a shame.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Criminal neglect, more like. My late husband was a cop who always carried. I had a rule in my house that he was to keep the ammo hidden from me, the children and the babysitters, no tolerance of mistakes. He kept his part of the bargain. Out of reach and view at all times when not carrying should be basic to responsible gun ownership.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Phage

Maybe not this one. Who knows, but isn't one better than none? There are an awful lot of accidental gun deaths.

And there are numerous more teenagers killed by irresponsible driving habits, from txting to drinking.

They are trained and licensed, some require long classes to even get to the point of being behind the wheel.

And yet, deaths abound.

Hold the people responsible for the negligent behavior, beyond that, Training... I guess its a good of a random solution as more laws.

Or you know enforce existing and charge the parents with negligent homicide could work too,
edit on 5-4-2014 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

And there are numerous more teenagers killed by irresponsible driving habits, from txting to drinking.
So the hell with it then. No license required since it does no good. Right?

Hold the people responsible for the negligent behavior
Yeah. That'll bring the kid back. Good idea. Don't do anything unless something happens.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Phage
reply to post by benrl

So the hell with it then. No license required since it does no good. Right?

Hold the people responsible for the negligent behavior
Yeah. That'll bring the kid back. Good idea. Don't do anything unless something happens.

Just saying training is no more a solution.

And yes, Just like training, holding people responsible for the actions that end in the death of a small child, well that just might stop the next one.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Just saying training is no more a solution.
I disagree. Let's do away with aircraft licenses as well, they don't stop accidents.

Just like training, holding people responsible for the actions that end in the death of a small child, well that just might stop the next one.

Multiple choice:
a) I don't know how to be safe with my weapon but I know that if my kid kills another kid with it I'll get into trouble.

b) I will learn how to be safe with my weapon so I will know how to take every precauction to assure that my kid does not kill another kid with it.

I guess it's too much of an inconvenience. Too much of a "violation". Even if it saves one life.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Guns are the answer to the world we have created. If personal possession and desire for more exist then we will need some deterrent!
edit on 5-4-2014 by minkmouse because: missing an N

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   
OMG this is just awful. What the hell were the parents thinking leaving a loaded gun where kids could reach it? What happened to 'child safety' round the house? You wouldn't leave a pack of open razor blades or sharp kitchen knives or open bottles of dangerous chemicals in reach of kids, what makes a gun any not require that sort of safety level?

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Phage

Multiple choice:
a) I don't know how to be safe with my weapon but I know that if my kid kills another kid with it I'll get into trouble.

b) I will learn how to be safe with my weapon so I will know how to take every precauction to assure that my kid does not kill another kid with it.

NO amount of required training, will prevent stupid from being stupid.

Don't give kids a gun, is a fairly simple concept to grasp, more training is a cope out to the responsibilities inherent in gun owner ship.

Its not a plane, its not a car, its not complex Phage.

I don't buy training would equal "gee don't give the 2 year old an accessible gun".

Can you honestly say you believe training would make people suddenly come to the thought that a Gun is not something you allow reachable under any scenario to a child?

Now holding people responsible for their actions? Well, that might help, See you neglect that Gun ownership, Unlike a car is a right.

YOU have no legal right to be allowed to drive.

SO what are we left with, enforcement of existing rules.

IF every gun owner knew that 100% of the time, that gun if used illegally or irresponsibly would lead back to them.

Since your fond of the car analogue, if your vehicle is proven to have been neglected by you (keys easy to get to) and its involved in a crime or accident, YOU CAN BE held liable.

So Why is the holding people responsible for their actions okay, with a car. Yet asking the same responsibility for something that since being a RIGHT is hard to regulate a bad thing?

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   

minkmouse
Guns are the answer to the world we have created. If personal possession and desire for more exist then we will need some deterrent!
edit on 5-4-2014 by minkmouse because: missing an N

Hold on a second! Are you seriously trying to say that if the 11 yr old had a gun then the 2 yr old wouldn't have shot her? How would more guns have stopped this? Please explain your post...

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Stuff like this just shouldnt happen
they invented gun safes for a reason! Thats bad parenting at its worst. Really sad story & I hope people who would do such a stupid thing learn from this.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Such a sad story.

Unfortunately commen sense can not be taught.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

I remember having the discussion with my wife when I wanted to buy a gun many, many years ago. The kids at the time were 1 and 5. We came to about the same compromise that you did. As the kids got older, I was able to teach begin the process of teaching them about gun safety and then got them into an NRA course.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   
People who said this “accident” is horrible are overestimated the personal responsibility of most people.
It's not a news for small kids get harm from boiling water.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Well, I always thought the NRA should of come out and stated that they would begin offering more free classes to anyone interested. I think that would have been a better public statement than "we need more good guys with guns."

The NRA does offer classes, but I think they should highlight that more than the need for more guns. Perhaps they need a better Public Affairs Officer.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   

benrl

NO amount of required training, will prevent stupid from being stupid.

How about stop giving stupid people fire arms

yep another inanimate object kills another
edit on 5/4/14 by freedomSlave because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join