It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Names of Six Jurors Who Acquitted Zimmerman Made Public

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Bad bad bad

In Florida, jurors names are usually public. The judge ordered the names of the jurors in the Zimmerman trial to be kept secret for a 'cooling down' period. Considering that Zimmerman is still getting death threats .. and considering that the New Black Panthers haven't withdrawn their 'wanted' poster for Zimmerman ... and considering how many WHACKOs are out there in the world .. I'm thinking that these jurors lives are now in danger.

If I lived in Florida and got called up for major jury duty, I'd site this as reason NOT to do duty. If a person can't be anonymous with the verdict, then their life is in danger. It could easily skew a juror to find someone innocent or guilty out of fear of future harm against them.

Orlando Sentinel - Names of Six Jurors Who Acquitted Zimmerman Made Public

The names of the six-member jury panel that acquitted George Zimmerman in the shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin have been made public for the first time, after a new court order, records show.

Circuit Judge Debra Nelson, who had previously ordered the jurors' identifying information be kept confidential, granted access to the names in a ruling March 21.

Zimmerman's defense asked the judge in June to keep the names secret until six months after the verdict. The judge set no timeline then, but noted in her new order they have been withheld more than eight months.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I wonder if the judge can be held as a accessory to a crime if one of the jurors is attacked?

And should be held liable for any monetary damages as well in the event of vandalism against a juror.
edit on 4-4-2014 by TDawgRex because: Just a ETA

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Zimmerman Juror Says She's Lost Job and Received Death Threats Against Her Kids

A juror in the George Zimmerman trial claims the case ruined her life and says she's had death threats made against her children, lost friends, her job and will soon lose her home as a result of it.

The juror, a 36-year-old mother of eight who only identified herself as Maddy during an interview on Inside Edition Thursday, was the only juror who showed her face when she appeared on Good Morning America in July.

Since then, Maddy says, she's lost her job as an aide at a nursing home and she and her husband have had to sell most of their possessions.

This is from October. We have no reason to doubt this juror.
This should have been a clue to the judge to keep the records sealed ... forever.

The only juror to 'come out' ... death threats ...

Zimmerman Juror Forced to Flee State of Florida

Twitter Lynch Mob Targets Zimmerman Jury with Death Threats

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   

I thought that jurors names are always kept secret unless they reveal it themselves....distressing....this is a reason never to go on jury duty in the states. Thanks for opening my eyes to the injustice of justice.

After a verdict was handed down on a friend of mine after she/he was found guilty we saw one of the chief witnesses against him/her get in a car with the jury foreman! That's an aside but it reminded me of that incident (they tried to do a mistrial on it but the judge was having none of it).
edit on 4-4-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   

While I agree, the names should not be released, I'm afraid I don't have much pity for "maddy".
Seriously, was her 15 minutes of fame worth it? You have a husband and 8 kids, yet your going to go on TV and tell the world you where on that jury?

Just stupid really.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   

chiefsmom
I'm afraid I don't have much pity for "maddy".

I agree it was stupid of her to go in public like that. Whatever her reason for doing so ... she got hammered. The fact that she got death threats and lost her job and had to move ... that should have been a clue to the judge that the jurors would be at risk if their names were ever made public.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 07:44 AM
link   
So it seems it was the newspaper that wanted the names released and then writes a story saying the names have been released.

If anything happens to any of the jurors the only persons held with any responsibility should be the ones who commit the acts. Trying to lay blame on others is crazy.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Agreed, whether it's Florida law or not those jurors should have remained protected permanently. I disagree that Zimmerman didn't commit murder but it's not the jurors fault. It Florida's Laws and the prosecutors. The jury had no choice but to acquit.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I was under the impression that juror names were sealed by default to prevent against retribution from others, and that their identities only came out if they themselves approved of doing so.

Damn, how wrong I was. I agree with whoever said this is a reason to avoid jury duty. Civic duty my butt, a juror's safety trumps the trial IMO, because no one deserves their lives ruined or threatened for doing this supposed "duty".

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Its all a con.

The outcome will be to stop using juries and just use 3 judges, it will be put across as a safety measure.

They are trying to do a way with juries in the UK.

Under common law you are entitled to be judged by your peers.

Already they have made people give up their rights by making fines and jail time less for guilty pleas, even when innocent they want you to plead guilty so you get off lightly.

Wait and see, You will have news reports saying " is it not time we did away with juries".

In the UK no Jury is used for fraud cases the reason given was , fraud was to complicated for people to understand.

So even if the bankers get to court they are not going to be found guilty.

See it for what it is.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   
The job of the jury is to listen and review the evidence provided to them. It's not their job to get all of that information. If they want to put blame on someone then it needs to be the defense attorney (which I'm sure he has). I'm sorry but if "the glove don't fit you must acquit". There must be clear circumstantial evidence and this case did not have that.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Just the typical MO of government- ruining the lives of innocent people all day every day!
EASIEST WAY TO GET OUT OF JURY DUTY- 1) ignore the summons. or 2) Declare you are a libertarian/voluntaryist/anarchist.
But if you are brave, fight the man and educate yourself- know your rights- JURY NULLIFICATION

en.wikipedia.org...

Jury nullification occurs in a trial when a jury acquits a defendant, even though the members of the jury believe the defendant to be guilty of the charges. This may occur when members of the jury disagree with the law the defendant has been charged with breaking, or believe that the law should not be applied in that particular case. A jury can similarly convict a defendant on the ground of disagreement with an existing law, even if no law is broken (although in jurisdictions with double jeopardy rules, a conviction can be overturned on appeal, but an acquittal cannot).

A jury verdict contrary to the letter of the law pertains only to the particular case before it. If a pattern of acquittals develops, however, in response to repeated attempts to prosecute a statutory offence, this can have the de facto effect of invalidating the statute. A pattern of jury nullification may indicate public opposition to an unwanted legislative enactment.

In the past, it was feared that a single judge or panel of government officials may be unduly influenced to follow established legal practice, even when that practice had drifted from its origins. In most modern Western legal systems, however, juries are often instructed to serve only as "finders of facts", whose role it is to determine the veracity of the evidence presented, and the weight accorded to the evidence,[1] to apply that evidence to the law and reach a verdict, but not to decide what the law is. Similarly, juries are routinely cautioned by courts and some attorneys not to allow sympathy for a party or other affected persons to compromise the fair and dispassionate evaluation of evidence during the guilt phase of a trial. These instructions are criticized by advocates of jury nullification. Some commonly cited historical examples of jury nullification involve the refusal of American colonial juries to convict a defendant under English law.[2]

Juries have also refused to convict due to the perceived injustice of a law in general,[3] or the perceived injustice of the way the law is applied in particular cases.[4] There have also been cases where the juries have refused to convict due to their own prejudices such as the race of one of the parties in the case.[5]

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   
The only way that works getting out of jury service is.

Say you will never find anyone guilty because you don't believe people should be locked up like animals.

You will be dropped instantly and never called again.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Hopefully all of those jurors are legal gun owners and stand their ground if some nut chooses to try and harm them or their family. A .45 is a good choice.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Wonder how many death threats the OJ jury members have gotten? Zero anyone?

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Juries are some old custom to make regular people seem important and part of the system. Which is not true.

Jury system is useless, heavily biased, emotionally influenced and can easily be swayed by factors of money/threat.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   
This is absolutely horrible.

Consider that this is the very case in which a lowlife piece of crap Hollywood "celebrity" (who I won't even dignify by posting his name on this site) thought it appropriate to post the personal information, including home address, of a family that had NOTHING to do with this case, and those very people received countless threats.

Consider that the people assigned to this jury did not come in on their assigned jury duty day knowing which case they were going to be assigned.

Consider that as Kali mentioned above, the jurors did their job according to the law and the point of contention here is with Florida law.

Consider that the private and personal information of people who did nothing other than show up, as required by the government, had the misfortune of being assigned to this tragic case will now be released to people who were more than happy to send death threats to innocent people due to the aforementioned Hollywood idiot.

This is simply a horrible decision and a horrible situation.

Floridians, en masse, should take a stand and simply throw out their jury summons collectively in protest. If I lived in Florida my answer would be very simple. You have decided that by showing up to jury service there is a potential that my life and my family's lives will be put at risk. So, go ahead and fine me or put me in cuffs, at least no one will be shooting at my family.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I don't really feel bad for the jurors. It is sad, yes, but the real pity should be gone towards the American people.

The people that just can't get behind the idea of American justice that people are "innocent until PROVEN guilty". Not only can they not get behind that idea, but they have to make it about them and believe that their opinions, which have been swayed by the media to condition them to think a certain way, should be placed above that of everyone else.

This is a problem with society, not the court system. The jury system has worked for ages. The problem is the people in this country and the propaganda that fuels them.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   

TheNewRevolution
I don't really feel bad for the jurors. It is sad, yes, but the real pity should be gone towards the American people.

The people that just can't get behind the idea of American justice that people are "innocent until PROVEN guilty". Not only can they not get behind that idea, but they have to make it about them and believe that their opinions, which have been swayed by the media to condition them to think a certain way, should be placed above that of everyone else.

This is a problem with society, not the court system. The jury system has worked for ages. The problem is the people in this country and the propaganda that fuels them.

Yes, jury duty is called "duty" for a reason. The lynch mob media bears a lot of responsibility for sure but, in the end it is up to us to stand by our decisions and principals.

Perhaps police "duty" modeled on the same premise of random selection and limited tenure could be a way for us to retrieve our society from the horrors of the police state.
edit on 4-4-2014 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by pavmas

Agreed. Madness shouldn't have a method, but yet it does.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join