It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An honest theoretical question regarding guns - Would you press the button?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

Hello

I absolutely press the button, even though I advocate for gun ownership!

Here is why ... it would force the ENTIRE world to reconsider everything it does and how it does it!

It would close the gap and make violence a lot more up close and personal and I like that idea!

Cops would have to consider not being able to just shoot someone to solve a situation.

Military personnel would have to totally re-equip and alter their tactics.

Criminals would have to consider breaking the law without the benefit of being armed with a firearm.

Home owners would have to reconsider fortifying their houses.

Governments would have to reconsider EVERYTHING!

It would FORCE people to think far more critically and to act far more wisely.

However this is a hypothetical ... so please keep your guns well kept and your ammo well stocked ok!

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 12:01 AM
link   
No. Get rid of guns, and stabbings will increase tenfold. Have you seen what's been going on in China lately?

As long as humans have the mindset that we have now, there will always be war, death, and destruction, guns or not.

Also, on a side note, I'd take a bullet to the head than 40 stabs to the chest anyday.

-Shady
edit on 4-4-2014 by ItzShadyT because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Nope.
Humanity must evolve on it's own, collectively.
Eliminating the means will not solve the problem.
There are other means.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by ItzShadyT

Also, on a side note, I'd take a bullet to the head than 40 stabs to the chest anyday.

See ^^^ forced to think critically!

Thank you for making my point!

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

Impossible to answer without more information. We'd have to know what weapon capabilities the worlds militaries had. Missiles, bombs, drones still?

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by ZonedOut

If you think cops would have a problem not being able to simply shoot someone I know the family of a homeless man you should talk to.. also a girl from Tucson.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Nope .. not my concern the fools and idiots would just find other methods to kill each other off ..

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Oh, I am not implying that they, the cops, wouldn't be able to do their job ... just that they would have to rethink everything and take a different, more up close and personal, actions when dealing with their job!

The gap, between cop and criminal, would have to be closed and this means that they would not be able to act in some remote, at a distance, manner and that changes MINDSETS!

Example: The mindset that one can simply point and shoot and the problem goes away ... is very different to the mindset that is willing to close the distance and gouge the guys eyes out!

The former is literally a no brainer technique ... where as the latter is far more active and ruthless mindset!

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

I have thought about this question myself quite a bit. The thing is, you can't just say guns. The button would have to eliminate bombs as well or it would be meaningless.

Going on human history and assuming humans have already demonstrated their capabilities and limitations sufficiently, I would say an emphatic no. You have to eliminate poison gas, arrows, glass, rocks, heavy branches, baseball bats, ropes, all heavy blunt objects.

Humans have always forged weapons from their environment. From that, I can only assume they always will. Buzzing firearms off the planet will not stop humans from waging war against one another.

Guns are not the problem. Mind control is the problem. Why is 68.2 percent of the human population so hopelessly vulnerable to mind control?

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 01:40 AM
link   

blupblup
reply to post by KyoZero

Hell yes.... Guns = death & destruction.
Who wouldn't want that button button pressed?
edit on 3/4/14 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

So arrows, bows, knives, rocks, blunt objects, math and physics all equal death and destruction too. Should we get rid of them as well? Good luck hunting, killing, and eating an animal without them. I hope you have your rice reserves stocked up since your mind slants so far to the left without reason.

This is a ridiculous thread that's based in hyperbole and it should be locked immediately.
edit on 4-4-2014 by Xterrain because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Definitely not. People say guns equal death and destruction, but apparently they fail to realize that death and destruction have been around long before firearms. It is not the firearms that are the cause, and someone who wants to kill will find a way to do it. Most countries only exist because of firearms. Without them the world would be different, but it would definitely not be a better place.

Many apparently fail to realize that guns can mean peace. There are many bad ways guns can be put to use, but good ways as well, or rather, with good intentions, for a good cause. It is exactly because it's within human nature for some people to do bad things that the good guys need firearms. Our 2nd amendment right here in the US is strictly about preserving freedom, as that is precisely why the Founding Fathers claimed they included the right. And it makes sense. When there are people who are willing to take advantage of other people, especially rulers over the common people, firearms serve as an "equalizer" for justice. If human nature were different, guns wouldn't be needed, but this isn't the case.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 03:28 AM
link   
What part of a gun could you do without. and the button would stop from working.

Remove the chemical reaction and you put us back into the stone age.

No explosives to mine no explosives to build homes, roads. no explosives to ECT ECT ECT.

Everything else is just forms of metal. how do you do away with metals and survive.

Then you still have air rifles and they have been around since before the first metal cartridge and first used by a military in 1780s
www.beemans.net...

Would you still push the button if it caused the end of "the world as you know it" no cars. no roads. no bridges.no cans or bottles. ECT ECT ECT.
edit on 4-4-2014 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 06:01 AM
link   

blupblup
reply to post by KyoZero

Hell yes.... Guns = death & destruction.
Who wouldn't want that button button pressed?
edit on 3/4/14 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

LOL... yes, no one was EVER murdered before firearms were invented.... LOL

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I'd like to thank 'most' of you for answering candidly and in a non-belligerent way

pity not all could do the same.

I made this thread to get an idea what people thought about the concept of violence, guns and such. Personally speaking I don't believe that getting rid of guns would really solve anything. I like that several members talked about the idea of levelling the field such that an 80 year old man would have a hard time fending off several thugs but when a gun is flashed it has the capability of solving that problem quick.

I am a very hard-leaning leftist myself but gun control is probably one of the few things that I lean right on. It wasn't always that way either. I am sure that someone could easily look at my old posts and see me fighting for gun control but I admit I have changed my mind on this.

Yes in an ideal world I wish my magic button could change minds instead of rid the world of guns. The few posters who suggested that made wise posts IMO. But alas we can't change human nature. So really what would ridding the world of guns do except make the playing field wider between criminals and would-be victims?

To the few who mentioned that this was a stupid premise...why did you bother to respond in the first place? As I said, this was a hypothetical to spark debate and nothing more. Next time I suggest just turning your nose up and waling away

Thanks to those who responded kindly. I loved reading the thread and seeing both sides come out

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 08:32 AM
link   
well then martial arts, poison, non-lethal systems and such would come to dominate war, law enforcement, self defense etc.

what a silly question, ridding us of weapons would only mean finding other ways of fighting, it's the will of a person that ends a life or not, not the tool.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

ABSOLUTELY NOT! It is firearms that allow one to protect himself from multiple thugs. It is firearms that allow one to protect himself from guys that are stronger than himself. It is firearms that allow citizens to keep their own government in order.
Take the guns away, and in a very short time a feudal system would appear enforced by large men using clubs and swords.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Simply put NO removing all firearms will change nothing as murder and mayhem didn't begin with the invention of the firearm. Many people are violent and will perform violent acts even if they have to use their bare hands. The only thing that will change is the method of mayhem not the volume.

Guns are extremely good tools of self defense and many are the times when just brandishing a gun has saved people from injury or death. People seem to have an enormous fear of firearms beyond the firearms ability to kill and i have never understood that. A knife is a much better killing weapon than a gun at close range and never runs out of ammunition. With a gun you have to hit a place that is immediately fatal to kill instantly (brain or heart). A knife can put a small slice in an artery and you would die in a minute. Guns make lots of noise giving away your position and notifying others of danger. Knives are silent and in a crowded place a dozen people can be dying from knife wounds before anyone is aware of danger.

Guns are here to stay so if your one of the people who are afraid of guns don't get one. But you have no right to tell me i can't use the best method available to protect myself and my family.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Ninjas. We could all train to become ninjas. Ever tried to shoot a ninja? Exactly. Doesn't happen. And if it does...then you and your whole family will all be very, very, very sorry. Because no one makes a ninja bleed and lives to tell of it. Except for another ninja. *nods wisely*

edit on 4-4-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   
With a gun all it takes is fear to get an average person to pull the trigger. With a knife it takes lots more than just fear you need emotion too before using a knife effectively. With a club or bat it requires even more of both and with bare hands you require lots more of both plus willpower. I'm talking from a defensive standpoint here as aggressors have all the psychological tools required before they start.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

You contrived the wrong button. This may stem from the notion that firearms are evil and corrupt its holder so that crimes or acts of soldiering are committed. You need to provide a button that does away with greed, hate, jealousy, adultery, cruelty, and the desire to control other people. That button would also have to instill in all a desire to provide food, water, and medical attention to any in need. Finally, that button would have to provide shelter for all.

A button of that sort would go a long way toward making life much more peaceful. In the end, you would still need firearms to protect yourself from wolves and bears and the like.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join