It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An honest theoretical question regarding guns - Would you press the button?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   
So I have been absent some time and I know the issue of gun control is massive. So I am proposing a thread to discuss a completey hypothetical, non-realistic question

I want to repeat this once more because I just know someone is going to bust in here saying "this could never happen!"

The following proposal is 100% and completely HYPOTHETICAL and non-realistic.

I am VERY AWARE that this could never happen...let's hope this cuts down on the BS

Now to the question

Suppose for a moment you had in your possession a button. If you were to press this button, EVERY single firearm in the world would dissapear. Meaning cops wouldn't have them, civilians wouldn't have them and criminals wouldn't have them. Furthermore, pressing this button would disallow the ability to EVER create firearms again.

So in short, this button, if pressed, would eliminate every single firearm in existence and would eliminate the ability to ever make a firearm again

Do you press it?

Why or why not?

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

Hell yes.... Guns = death & destruction.
Who wouldn't want that button button pressed?
edit on 3/4/14 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Death By the Sword is More Honorable!!!

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Precisely what I am itching to find out. I am in no mood to troll or flame so if someone says they wouldn't press the button I would genuinely love to know why they wouldn't press it

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Every gun? sure..in a cold second.
Go back to crossbows, swords, and erm...wait, does this include any chemical reaction projectile like tanks and bombs also, or just firearms?

Anyhow, yes...most definitely.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

Oh yea i'd put my button mashing skills to work on that button, we don't NEED guns. I'd really be worried about how and who created that button though, sounds l ike some powerful magick.

edit on 3-4-2014 by ElOmen because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-4-2014 by ElOmen because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

First, I would build lots of bow and arrow factories.

edit on 3-4-2014 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

Welcome back Kyo...i remember you from way back.
I would not press the button because it is pointless...if it wasn't a gun,it would be a different weapon.
You can change weapons...you can't change people.

Post above mine just proved my point.

edit on 3-4-2014 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I'd totally press it. This way every sick bastard out there could go out and abduct children, rape, and murder with hand tools and no fear of someone being able to effectively defend themselves. Sounds like a fantastic idea to me!

I'd wager my entire savings account that most of the people saying "let's go back to crossbows, swords, and clubs like REAL MEN" are 350 lbs and the closest they've gotten to a crossbow, sword, or club is on Skyrim.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Yes..but only if they were all gone..not just some people having them.
I am pro gun though just so you know..but hey if we could make them all disappear then that would be awesome.

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

no - I would destroy the button - and to be blunt - shoot anyone who said they would press it twice in the heart and genitals - for their utter stupidity .

reality check - firearms are a tool - eliminating them will not eliminate violence

+6 more 
link   
No.

Because it isn't my right to make decisions for other people and I wouldn't want other people pressing other theoretical buttons that take things away from me.

What about the button to remove all meat the vegan pushes? What about the tobacco button? What about all illegal drugs button? What kind of unintended consequences would occur?

It isn't my place to tell someone in Alaska they can't defend themself from a bear. What about the almost 100% of law abiding homeowners that want to be able to defend themselves from the knife wielding intruder? Many people lack the physical tools to fight off an attacker any other way.

Emphatic NO!

link   

KyoZero
So I have been absent some time and I know the issue of gun control is massive. So I am proposing a thread to discuss a completey hypothetical, non-realistic question

I want to repeat this once more because I just know someone is going to bust in here saying "this could never happen!"

The following proposal is 100% and completely HYPOTHETICAL and non-realistic.

I am VERY AWARE that this could never happen...let's hope this cuts down on the BS

Now to the question

Suppose for a moment you had in your possession a button. If you were to press this button, EVERY single firearm in the world would dissapear. Meaning cops wouldn't have them, civilians wouldn't have them and criminals wouldn't have them. Furthermore, pressing this button would disallow the ability to EVER create firearms again.

So in short, this button, if pressed, would eliminate every single firearm in existence and would eliminate the ability to ever make a firearm again

Do you press it?

Why or why not?

That is tricky. There are other weapons available to harm the masses and control the people that wouldn't be available in case of tyranny. This would seemingly put us further in harms way even if taking us out of it in another way.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Neopan100
Yes..but only if they were all gone..not just some people having them.
I am pro gun though just so you know..but hey if we could make them all disappear then that would be awesome.

Easy for you to say, you have a TARDIS!

+7 more 
posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I appreciate the thread's premise OP. I really do.

Now, Keeping with hypotheticals, What of the 90lb 68 year old gal who has to deal with a home invasion from some young punk wielding a sword at 1 AM...?

Firearms level the playing field for some.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   

blupblup
reply to post by KyoZero

Hell yes.... Guns = death & destruction.
Who wouldn't want that button button pressed?
edit on 3/4/14 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

People that like to hunt? Why not make all knifes disappear many people have been killed with them over the years. Besides guns don't do the killing people do.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

Dam. That is a great question, because guns are the great equalizer. Without guns, the younger and stronger and more aggressive have an advantage over the weaker and slower and nicer. If you took away all guns, you would be making easier victims of people smaller in stature like women and elderly.

BUT, on the other hand, guns are used for war, and impersonal killing like drivebys. Without guns, you force people to get up close and personal for their killing, and you make it take longer and messier, and it would certainly save a lot of lives.

As pro-gun as I am, I have to say, I would push the button. I would do so, knowing that it would mean some people would be defenseless. I would do so knowing that I am still young and strong enough to defend my family, but others are not, so it is a somewhat selfish decision. Still, I do think the good would outweigh the bad.

BUT, since we know that premise is entirely impossible, as long as one gun exists in the world, then we should all have access to guns.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   

ignorant_ape
reply to post by KyoZero

no - I would destroy the button - and to be blunt - shoot anyone who said they would press it twice in the heart and genitals - for their utter stupidity .

reality check - firearms are a tool - eliminating them will not eliminate violence

Never said it eliminated violence. This is merely a hypothetical premise and nothing more

thanks for answering

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   

buster2010

People that like to hunt? Why not make all knifes disappear many people have been killed with them over the years. Besides guns don't do the killing people do.

Crossbow, Spear... how about making the hunt fair again?
Guns do kill people, People kill people too.... guns and people together?? that's a bad mix.

I'm sure you or someone else will find me all the Chinese knife attack stories, and I don't care.
If guns disappeared the world would be a much better place and nothing you say will change my opinion.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   

TinkerHaus
I'd totally press it. This way every sick bastard out there could go out and abduct children, rape, and murder with hand tools and no fear of someone being able to effectively defend themselves. Sounds like a fantastic idea to me!

I'd wager my entire savings account that most of the people saying "let's go back to crossbows, swords, and clubs like REAL MEN" are 350 lbs and the closest they've gotten to a crossbow, sword, or club is on Skyrim.

sarcasm aside, consider the following

guns are now owned by many...rape and murder still occurs?

reponse?

Also I never said I would press the button. I am witholding my opinion for now

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join