It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An honest theoretical question regarding guns - Would you press the button?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   
No, never, not in a million years.

Guns have their uses in self defense as a force equalizer. Tasers and pepper spray just don't cut it when you're in life and death situations because they require such precision to work and are nigh useless against multiple attackers, whereas a gun can neutralize a threat simply by somebody seeing/hearing it cocked. They also are very important in hunting, especially for larger game like wild boar and defending against coyotes.

Making guns disappear from the face of the earth won't stop people from using knives, metal pipes, bombs, and anything else that they can get their hands on.

It won't stop the violence that is inherent in mankind, and it won't make people stop dying violent deaths.

Where a person is intent upon doing evil, he will always find a way, and she will always find a weapon.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   

AnIntellectualRedneck
No, never, not in a million years.

Guns have their uses in self defense as a force equalizer. Tasers and pepper spray just don't cut it when you're in life and death situations because they require such precision to work and are nigh useless against multiple attackers, whereas a gun can neutralize a threat simply by somebody seeing/hearing it cocked. They also are very important in hunting, especially for larger game like wild boar and defending against coyotes.

Making guns disappear from the face of the earth won't stop people from using knives, metal pipes, bombs, and anything else that they can get their hands on.

It won't stop the violence that is inherent in mankind, and it won't make people stop dying violent deaths.

Where a person is intent upon doing evil, he will always find a way, and she will always find a weapon.

So if you had a loaded gun in your hand, and there was an armed gunman robbing a store and about to shoot the clerk, you wouldn't put a bullet in him to save that clerk? Or any number of people he might shoot on his way out?

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Of course I would put a bullet in him, but this is an entirely different scenario than the question presented.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

Guns have caused species to become Endangered. Our ancestors did a pretty fine job hunting game without a gun. Heck, way back in the days, they took down Woolly Mammoth with Sticks, Stones, and Rope. So i cant level with you when it comes to hunting for survival.

And again, Fear is not a good way to instill Peace. Tasers have been recorded to cause brain damage and even kill and individual before they hit the ground.(or when they hit the ground, there neck snaps due to the tension and the concrete)

Regards,

edit on 3-4-2014 by SirKonstantin because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

I wouldn't push it. I am much more proficient with a firearm than a sword, and firearms do help level the playing field

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

I wouldn't press it. Why? Because eliminating inanimate objects does nothing to eliminate the evil that resides in some people's hearts, and I NEED a gun (well, several) to defend myself and my family from those people.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Guns equal security, protection, food, and freedom.

Quit being a drama queen.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

No.

It is not my place to make decisions for anyone else.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

Hypothetical answer: because when I walk in on 3 guys all larger than myself raping my wife I want to blow them away, preferably with the gun I have on me because I have a licence to carry. Or does crime go away in your Utopian fantasy world. Because if there is 1 thing we can all agree on is that cops show up after the crime is being committed.

Do you need anymore hypothetical answers to you hypothetical question?

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by SirKonstantin

And how many people did it take to hunt like that back then? We had to hunt in huge groups to get that done. Most people don't have that luxury these days.

I am well-aware that our ancestors hunted with bows and arrows and sticks and stones and got along fine, but that still does not invalidate my point. The gun is an extremely efficient weapon, and it's arguably one of the best ways to ensure a quick death for the prey involved. It would also be incredibly dangerous to go up against coyote packs or wild boars with nothing but sticks and bows, borderline suicidal to be honest. Realistically, it is just something that absolutely should not and, many times, probably cannot be done in those two scenarios.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I'd press the button, the main difference would be the effort required to kill a person, suddenly you would need to be physically fit and have a lot more experience to use a weapon compared to point and pull especially in a close range situation so we'd be back to medieval warfare and the longbow versus the plate armored knight

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

I almost replied with "in a heartbeat, yes". Then thought about it. If that button destroyed all weapons and any future ability to weaponize tools, then yes.

However, if you destroyed all the guns, people would just be modding tazers to kill, getting x-bows, buying grenades, tanks and high-ordinance weapons would still be able to terrorize people.

A more effective and realistic scenario would be a button that released a neuro-toxin into the global atmosphere that completely and utterly, with 100% effectiveness, disabled any ability for a human to commit violence to another human. I can imagine that happening in the next hundred years or so. Now that's a button I would consider pressing.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

You make a great point. So I would like to know how you would regulate the gun control? Btw, please read my previous reply to 3shadeofblack on my answer to the question i have given you in previous posting?

Regards,
edit on 3-4-2014 by SirKonstantin because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   

PinealJockey
reply to post by KyoZero

Hypothetical answer: because when I walk in on 3 guys all larger than myself raping my wife I want to blow them away, preferably with the gun I have on me because I have a licence to carry. Or does crime go away in your Utopian fantasy world. Because if there is 1 thing we can all agree on is that cops show up after the crime is being committed.

Do you need anymore hypothetical answers to you hypothetical question?

I'd like to thank you for your "kind" and non sarcastic or rude answer. Please point out where I said it would eliminate crime. Please point out where I said I wanted a Utopia. Actually, please point out where I actually made a stand on what I believe.

See I knew this would happen EVEN though I wrote twice that this is merely hypothetical.

What upsets me is not the answer you gave. You believe that in this hypothetical situation, there would be inherent danger in not owning guns. Gotcha and I respect your opinion

Please next time leave out the venom

thank you for your response

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   
No.
Ridding the world of guns would not rid the world of evil. It would not rid the world of people who wanted to hurt others.
Not to sensationalize a tragedy, but look to China. Mass knife attacks. Would your button eliminate that risk too?

A gun it a tool. Used correctly, it's no more dangerous than a hammer. A hammer in the wrong hands could be deadly.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by network dude

It's a weapon to destroy or as a tool to build - Odon

Regards,

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

Im a gun lover and have been around guns my whole life...I would press it..because the medieval times was so bad ass...and combat has to be more personal...no wimps...you gotta really want it face to face....so yes

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

It sounds tempting however I will decline.

Firearms have had a net stabilizing effect in general society and nations.

Aside from keeping the strong from taking advantage of the weaker locally.

Think back to what war was like before. It wasn't uncommon for a two day conflict to claim tens of thousands. (I just watched the new 300 movie so it is fresh)

I guess we could affix blades to trucks and drive at each other much like they used elephants, but it wouldn't be much different.

Nah I think such a thing would lead to the collapse of civilized society, industry, and usher the return of smaller waring states.
edit on 3-4-2014 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

Not venom just passion. Hopefully, my comments will now be memorable and you along with the rest of the internet will remember my point when this debate surfaces again.
P.S. you seem very gentle. Didn't mean to spread neg. vibes. but violence can be used for good ( V for vendetta)

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Roaming bands of urban utes would quickly become your worst nightmare.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join