It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An honest theoretical question regarding guns - Would you press the button?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I wouldn't...because the powers that be would just come up with some other way to suppress people and then the common man wouldn't have any way to defend himself should tyranny arise

Remember.....the Nobility of Europe banned people from even owning swords...so they couldn't fight the " kings " army or have any chance of rebellion

So....after someone pushes that button, that's when the anti-sword propaganda begins and after a few years of brainwashing and social engineering some bleeding heart will make a post about a Button to remove all swords from the Earth
edit on 4-4-2014 by Taobender because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Absolutely would not push it.

Fists make pretty good weapons, and I've seen the results of brutal beatings. Rape doesn't need a gun. Knives are plentiful, but a gun would always trump a knife. If you had asked me 45 years ago if I would ever own a gun I'd think you were crazy. (I was fairly liberal in high school.) But now I own a handgun (ACK!!) and have inherited a rifle. I don't use them (except for target practice) and I hope to heaven I never have to...but, being a woman and living alone, I feel a hell of a lot safer knowing I've got them!

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

Interesting premise.

To button, or not to button...

No.

Guns are tools. It's the people behind them that make them "evil", or not. Guns are gone. Does that make the bad men/women go away, too?

Nope, 'fraid not. It'll just take a bit longer to steal, to murder, to basically be all anti-social.

Gun enable people to defend themselves, and feed themselves. Just as often as guns enable criminal types, or sick people, to kill the innocent, they enable the innocent to protect themselves.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

No, I would not.

I don't feel like protecting myself from someone with a knife, and all I have is a stick.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

Jumping back in a bit to your great thread here (at least, I think it is). Perspective goes a long way in this thread topic. You were just addressing firearms. People are killed just as dead with kitchen knives, cars, alcohol, baseball bats etc.

Im sure you werent implying or suggesting we do the same with "button-controlling-out" our cooking, driving, drinking and children and adult sports games.

Would it not have to be applied across the board with all things dangerous and potentially lethal? Fertilizer for my yard would kill one if ingested.

I understand you are just addressing the one thing. Man has an inherent "bad-or-evil" streak as a species. We are working on that. But there will always be bad guys and girls and the likes of militaries with firearms no matter how much we disarm ourselves.

Unfortunately? We as a species will always find different objects to kill, torture or maim someone. Although I can be in agreement to a degree...they will just find something else to use.*

*I carry personally 24/7...and at times, 2 separate firearms. And Im no "yahoo" with a gun. Just a concerned citizen (and one whose wife was robbed at gunpoint in our driveway in a nice Michigan suburban city).

(post by austin1984 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   

TinkerHaus
I'd wager my entire savings account that most of the people saying "let's go back to crossbows, swords, and clubs like REAL MEN" are 350 lbs and the closest they've gotten to a crossbow, sword, or club is on Skyrim.

You'd lose that bet. I am very interested in primitive weapons, and my personal collection contains crossbows, swords, spears, axes, and other archery items - none of that decorative and ceremonial crap, everything is fully functional.

And..I don't play video games.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   

stutteringp0et

TinkerHaus
I'd wager my entire savings account that most of the people saying "let's go back to crossbows, swords, and clubs like REAL MEN" are 350 lbs and the closest they've gotten to a crossbow, sword, or club is on Skyrim.

You'd lose that bet. I am very interested in primitive weapons, and my personal collection contains crossbows, swords, spears, axes, and other archery items - none of that decorative and ceremonial crap, everything is fully functional.

And..I don't play video games.

For the record I said "most."

I love how all of a sudden we have a website full of ninjas. TrueBrit, on the other hand, I believe to be an actual ninja of sorts.

How would I lose that bet? Can you prove that most people saying guns are horrible things are as experienced in the ninja arts as you are?

I'm no ninja, but I am a helluva shot.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   
My first knee jerk is to say yes just because that seems like such an easy and ready-made answer to a sticky issue. But that's the emotional response talking.

Once the ol' reason starts to assert itself and really think about, it just gets plain creepy even for a hypothetical. It isn't so much making every single gun disappear which is futile as has been pointed out already, but the idea that you are inviting me to mentally violate every single person to the point where they will never be able to recreate firearms again.

Inviting me to think about manipulating and exerting control over every other person on the face of the Earth just rubs me the wrong way.

I just can't be that kind of tyrannical despot no matter how noble my intentions might seen. I know where that road goes.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

Hell no I wouldn't press it.

What gives me the right to take away the possessions and in effect, the rights of others?

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

First, OP, great question for discussion, S&F.

Actually, I would press the button and gladly go back to medieval weapons. and just so you know, I am 350 lbs, and I am very accomplished with such weapons. Being big doesn't, in any way, mean you are unable to defend yourself or others.

I would press that button in a heart beat.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 05:48 AM
link   
No.
I read many knife attack news from China,and people have to defend animal attack.
edit on 5-4-2014 by candlestick because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   
No, because I like my guns. That's why I bought them.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 06:18 AM
link   
If your point is to eliminate violence .... you lost before you started.
Violence would just be transfered to another TOOL.

Yes folks guns are Tools...Period.
I have never seen nor heard of a gun jumping off a table and shooting anyone...EVER.

Mankind would just change teh way we kill fellow man.
Caveman beat each other to death with blunt objects.
Take a look at some stats sometime and you will see that Guns are NOT at the top of the list in how people kill each other.

So in short... NO

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 03:03 AM
link   
i would not push the button.

It is a hard drive problem
not a hardware problem.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   
How about this different scenario:

There are two buttons and you MUST push one of them.

Button #1: Pushing this button makes all guns disappear.

OR

Button #2: Pushing this button gives a gun to everyone.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Leonidas

push button number two.
wait five years for the people who need to get killed, will get killed.
then push button one.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 09:09 PM
link   

spirited75
reply to post by Leonidas

push button number two.
wait five years for the people who need to get killed, will get killed.
then push button one.

Bahaha!

Well done.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join