It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An honest theoretical question regarding guns - Would you press the button?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:
(post by blupblup removed for a manners violation)

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Not a chance...

Because today's fashion isn't conducive to concealing large edged weapons...

Besides, I'm getting a little too much gray around the muzzle... That hack and slay crap is a young man's game...

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

I'm actually 180lbs(never over 185lbs), 6'1" and less than one year from reaching my Black Belt in MMA. I am an estimator to boot.
I average running 1 mile at 7 min.
And I am two months shy of turning 25.I am a straight man.

....your point is invalid...

There would be less factories making guns that release chemicals into the air. Less corruptions of weapons trafficking. Less mentally "altered" individuals committing terrible crimes easily. The use of force will not be excessive per individual. Oder and Law will be better mandated.

Regards,
edit on 3-4-2014 by SirKonstantin because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

Nope! Guns don't kill people, People do. Heck take a gun away from someone all they have to do is rent a nice heavy SUV and start mowing down people at the local prominade. Wanna make a bet a car, any car can kill more people in a quicker amount if time than a gun.

Before guns people stabbed other people to death and in great quantity. Heck their are reports of dudes with swords killing up to 8 armed soldiers at a time during the late 19th century in china.

Bottom line is that humans are virtuosos of violence. We can and will find away to kill just about anything using just about anything. The one trait that probably makes us human. The ability to turn anything into a tool.

So go ahead make all firearms dissapear. Won't change things.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Do nuclear arms still exist? I would push it if also got rid of them. Reason why I would push it is if you recall in William Coopers book behold a Pale Horse that once we crossed into the Nuclear Age and rediscovered the destruction of the atom would be a formidable weapon and dropped the bomb on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, we ( rather the leaders of the world) were approached by TWO Races. The Greys offered us Technology in order for them to study our DNA because they are going extinct very quickly with something similar to our AIDS. While the Angelic Race from the Planet Thiaoouba offered us only Spiritual Guidance, with the only demand was that we dismantle all nuclear bombs and never seek the weaponization of the atom. We all know which universe they chose for us Godamn them all. I could have existed in a much higher evolved planet than this f-ing circus! Why I chose this kindergarten I have no idea. The egos of the Elite got us into all this trouble.
edit on 3-4-2014 by Thiaoouba Prophecy because: Spelling

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   

SirKonstantin
reply to post by TinkerHaus

I'm actually 180lbs(never over 185lbs), 6'1" and less than one year from reaching my Black Belt in MMA. I am an estimator to boot.
I average running 1 mile at 7 min.
And I am two months shy of turning 25...

....your point is invalid...

There would be less factories making guns that release chemicals into the air. Less corruptions of weapons trafficking. Less mentally "altered" individuals committing terrible crimes easily. The use of force will not be excessive per individual. Oder and Law will be better mandated.

Regards,

Wrong, the point is even more valid. As a person physically capable of defending yourself without the gun, your decision to press the button is even more selfish. I'm in the same boat as you, but what if you were 70 years old, used a cane, and lived in a neighborhood that was nice when you moved there 40 years ago, but was becoming not so safe as it aged and its original residents died off and were replaced with HUD renters? Would you still be so apt to push the button knowing some 25 year old blackbelt was out there intending to take your things?

I still would, because of the overall effect worldwide. The elimination of the mass casualties from machine guns, and impersonal deaths by driveby or sniper, or shoot the clerk and run. A lot of these punks would not have the cahones to stab a convenience store clerk, but it is easy to shoot and run and not have to deal with the intimacy of their actions.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Thiaoouba Prophecy

Respectfully....Did you really have to take it to the Extraterrestrial Realm...?
I think we could have managed spiritual enlightenment by ourselves...Slowly but Surely.

Regards,

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I have lots of swords and knives. I keep them locked up with my firearms.

I would still be well-armed with my collection of 'battle ready' swords, but I think I would just rather shoot an intruder with my trusty .357 than get in a sword battle.

edit on 2014/4/3 by Metallicus because: ETA

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by 3shadesofblack

Thru maturing and training, me personally would not be fighting the elderly. (I understand your point very well).

Still, I have to defend martial artist, that we would not be aggressors...leave that to the steroid users.lol.jk.
There would be fractions, proper policing. Chinese farmers defend themselves and others for the sake of the community. That is what I believe would become of Martial Artists without guns.

Faith, Faith in Humanity. Faith that People Will Want to Do the Right Things Would be My Resolve to Push the Button.

Regards,
edit on 3-4-2014 by SirKonstantin because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Well I guess I would, then put a lot of faint in my fellow man....

But, this all being said.

One of the biggest reasons you are able to ask this question in this format of safe and secure.

If because someone with guns is protecting you and your right to do so.

Think about it.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   

That's just closed minded thinking. Sure a lot of people are too squimish to stab someone and literally get blood on their hands. A lot aren't. Part of what makes people use a gun is it gives you more if a chance to escape after commiting a crime. Now knowing that the cops wouldn't be able to do f all about the guy commiting the crime because they don't have a gun to stop you and knife on knife is not too safe. There is nothing stopping the criminal from stabbing Anybody they want. The gun is a deterent. If no law enforcement carries guns then why on earth would any criminal be afraid if one. They wouldn't and they would be much more blazen in their violence. Just like in the Olden days. We're actually at a fairly peaceful time in human history. You could thank the gun fir that.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Metallicus

I don't agree with some of the posters, but don't have a valid counter argument.

Quick, call them morons...that'll show 'em.

Ugh.

When you've been here 6 years, seen countless "spree killing" "school shooting" and "mass killing" threads and seen how every single one of them descends into absolute nonsense and "Statistics wars" then it's just easier to get out.
It's the same crap every single time... you can't have a serious debate... in fact actually we did once, a really good debate and everything was all wrapped up nicely.

And then there was another shooting and it all starts again.

The people that think that the answer to people being killed by guns, is buying and owning MORE guns are absolute morons and that is a fact.

It's the same mentality as saying "killing people is wrong so we're going to kill this person to show you how wrong killing is."

You can have your opinion and put it however you like, I'll do the same.

But like the other 20+ threads that I've been in like this, where "the mob" show up, it's utterly pointless to try and debate.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by BASSPLYR

Peace From Fear...? I don't believe that is Peace at All.

Regards,

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   

KyoZero

ignorant_ape
reply to post by KyoZero

no - I would destroy the button - and to be blunt - shoot anyone who said they would press it twice in the heart and genitals - for their utter stupidity .

reality check - firearms are a tool - eliminating them will not eliminate violence

Never said it eliminated violence. This is merely a hypothetical premise and nothing more

thanks for answering

I think this thread makes a compelling case for the 2nd amendment.

A video about gun control in America.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by SirKonstantin

I've seen "The Last Samurai," it didn't go well for the old style defenses, LOL! The gun changed the force equation drastically!

I did not think I would have answered yes to this question before it was asked, but after thinking about it, the gun makes killing so much more efficient and impersonal. I don't believe we would have the same numbers of murders and suicides without the gun. I LOVE my guns! Carry one every day. It is a highly efficient tool, and as long as anyone in the world has one, I want one too, but if it could be eliminated entirely, it would probably be a good thing.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

Good question, difficult for me to answer. I think I would say no though.
Here is why, guns aren't just used for violence against people.

They are used for hunting, which is something people may always need to do, especially with specific types of animals.

Also sport. It's actually enjoyable to shoot at targets for no other reason then shooting at a target. Like how fishing is fun even though you mostly just sit on your ass and wait for stuff to happen.
edit on 3-4-2014 by GrimReaper86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

I would only push the button in the event of imminent nuclear annihilation or world war. At that point, mankind has proven that the threat of what it will do with its current firepower is far more dangerous than the threat it could potentially pose to itself without that firepower. As long as guns are the lesser threat, I wouldn't touch the button. After all, everything is a threat in the right circumstances. And if someone had had such a button during either of the previous world wars, millions and millions of lives could have been saved. And it would certainly eliminate the possibility of a third world war.

edit on 3-4-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   

LOL to "The Last Samurai". But wouldn't you agree that the Samurai would have won if the Americans did use guns?Which is What Where Debating About??? No Guns, No Massacre.

I respect your right to bear arms. I believe everyone should have a gun. Citizens policing citizens would be as effects as the Ratings of Online buyers who have been judged by their peers to be bad business or scams. Though there should be a way to regulate this gun. Like one per household that's in a "fire extinguisher case" that goes off and sends a signal to the authorities and everyone else. Or special tech guns that send a signal out when fired. Or a gun that can only be fired by the registered individual, so everyone knows who shot first....

Regards,

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   

AfterInfinity
reply to post by KyoZero

If I am in legitimate fear for my life and happen to have a loaded gun in my hands, you'll quickly learn not to screw with me. And I don't have to kill you to make you wish I had.

Yes you do. If you don't shoot with intent to kill, the attacker will take your gun and kill you too. Even if they die later. Unless you sever the brainstem with the bullet, the attacker is going to run for at least 20-30 seconds and may not even notice they have been shot.

What you say here is one of the most frightening aspects of gun ownership by those who don't really understand the dynamics of a physical encounter. If you EVER feel the need to access your gun, you better do so with full intent and committment to kill the aggressor as quickly and definitively as possible. Anything less will probably get you either killed, sued, or arrested.

If you really believe what you said in that post, please either sell your gun, or go get some gun training.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join