It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay people can get married in the UK at midnight tonight :D

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   

UxoriousMagnus

Do you have some links or info on marriage pre-dating religion?

This sounds like an interesting read...

thanks

Marriage was almost always about bonds, family unions, money, continuation of bloodlines, land, property, etc etc and nothing to do with religion.... but of course, like everything else, religion took it over.

here yo go

marriage.about.com...

ehistory.osu.edu...

www.defshepherd.com...

www.library.cornell.edu...

www.livescience.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 28/3/14 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by UxoriousMagnus

In North America, among the Native Americans societies, same-sex unions have taken the form of Two-Spirit-type relationships, in which some male members of the tribe, from an early age, heed a calling to take on female gender with all its responsibilities. "In many tribes, individuals who entered into same-sex relationships were considered holy and treated with utmost respect and acceptance," according to anthropologist Brian Gilley

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

Thank you for your kind reply. However, as you rightly stated, men and women who haven't necessarily loved each other have married for convenience in the past.
Though sometimes those same couples have fallen in love 'AFTER' they got married.
This is the part I worry about, because under no circumstances do i wish to play hide the sausage with my mate !

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I put this on the other thread (I've linked this thread to that one), and will plop it here too. Good for the Bishop!:

The Bishop of Salisbury of the Church of England backs same sex marriage, or so reads the Guardian headline.

www.theguardian.com...

The Church of England's divisions over gay marriage have been reopened by the Bishop of Salisbury, who has issued a statement praising the couples who will get married and assuring them of his prayers and good wishes.

Nick Holtam's supportive remarks on the eve of the legalisation of gay marriage expresses the views of a significant body of dissent within the Church of England, unhappy with the formal position that prevents Anglican clergy from marrying partners of the same sex.

Gay marriage, the bishop said, "embodies a commitment to be faithful, loving, and lifelong. These are virtues which the Church of England wants to see maximised in society."

edit on 28-3-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-3-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Ive always thought gay people should be allowed to marry..i mean why should they be the only ones who are happy

Careful what you wish for guys lol

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Congratulations... may they suffer the same as non gays in marriage.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I've never been really concerned with being married, my partner and I have been together for 14 years (since our early 20's). We've never looked to society to validate our happiness. That being said, the older we get and the more money we make, there are lots of benefits to marriage. We could save lots on cash on insurance and taxes, not to mention we are thinking about expanding our family. Luckily we live in Illinois, we now have the option.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Lifeishigh
reply to post by boymonkey74

well done indeed, one step closer to total annihilation...... Its like saying lets legalize crack/coc aine/heroine, pot already is so why not? Lets just give more reason for wrong to to fall in our lives... The world will never catch up, end is nigh and these are the reasons why..... no wonder humans get what we get, ignorance is bluss.....

How does two gay people getting married bring about total annihilation? That doesn't make any sense. I watched two gay people get married when they legalized it in Maryland and no one died shortly thereafter. So where is this widespread annihilation that you speak of?

Also, why yes we should legalize all those drugs, or at the very least, decriminalize them. Did you have a good reason for keeping them illegal?

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

We have had Civil Partnerships for several years now, since 2004, which gave all the legal bit's of marriage without actually calling it such. This is just the veneer on an already existing law, allowing them to be called Marriages and to be allowed to take place in Religious buildings that allow it.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Lifeishigh

Homosexuality was around for a damned site longer than some pokey-arse religion conjured up by power hungry, Roman demagogues in the 4th century!

*SNIP*
edit on 3/28/2014 by Blaine91555 because: MENTION OF DRUG USE IS NOT ALLOWED!

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   

ProRipp
So same sex marriage, does that mean i can marry my best mate ? We're not gay, just thinking of any benefits we might get from it ? Or do we have to pass some sort of Gayness test ?

I don't see why not. Haven't you ever heard of a contract marriage before?

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

Indeed - there was nothing stopping you marrying a female best mate prior either - although if you didn't have sex, you didn't consummate the marriage so it makes getting divorced a hell of a lot easier too, you can just get it annulled.

I'd assume the same applies to marrying your best buddy - at some point, someone is going to have bend over and take one for the team to "seal the deal"...

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Cheers Stu, Ive changed my whole outlook on it now, phew that was close. LOL

I just wonder tho what if Bi-Sexuals wanted to marry one of each ? What would the commotations be of that ? Allowed/Disallowed ?

Anyways, Ive started to fancy my German Shepherd more just lately ! She is very loyal....oh well maybe in 5 years we will be allowed to marry !
edit on 013131p://03America/Chicago28 by ProRipp because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Come in really?? Like i said they are going to die right there on the spot? Sooner or later we will all be judged, wether u believe in God or or not... You may not believe in him, just remember he believes in you..

Its wrong cause now gays can adopt kids and their belief will be passed down to them and therefore corrupting young minds...

Now i am no saint and have done drugs and first hand know the harm they do to our bodies as well as our families and friends around us. You say why keep them illegal? Cause they bring nothing but pain...

And you should not comment on anything to do with Jesus,he never said alcohol was ok with him, yes he drank wine.... But not once did he get drunk or use it for that.... This year will be an eye opener for us all...... I cant wait!!!

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   

stumason

We have had Civil Partnerships for several years now, since 2004, which gave all the legal bit's of marriage without actually calling it such. This is just the veneer on an already existing law, allowing them to be called Marriages and to be allowed to take place in Religious buildings that allow it.

Ahhh there's the thumb in the eye of religion that I was looking for. That's all it is. This issue has nothing to do with equal rights. I wonder what this means for ministers that don't want to perform gay marriages?

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   

ProRipp
So same sex marriage, does that mean i can marry my best mate ? We're not gay, just thinking of any benefits we might get from it ? Or do we have to pass some sort of Gayness test ?

If you have no problem kissing your best mate at the end of the ceremony as it is custom when couples marry then maybe you aren't being honest with yourself when it comes to your sexuality. Not to mention everyone will think you are gay.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Lifeishigh

Come in really?? Like i said they are going to die right there on the spot? Sooner or later we will all be judged, wether u believe in God or or not... You may not believe in him, just remember he believes in you..

I don't think he does. Prove me wrong.

Its wrong cause now gays can adopt kids and their belief will be passed down to them and therefore corrupting young minds...

OH NO! What will the children do now that they know that gay people exist? Think of the children! AHHHH! Oh yeah, gayness doesn't rub off onto heterosexual children just because they happen to know gay people or were raised by them.

Now i am no saint and have done drugs and first hand know the harm they do to our bodies as well as our families and friends around us. You say why keep them illegal? Cause they bring nothing but pain...

Ok, so explain to me how locking someone up in prison with a drug habit that is physically addicting is going to solve that problem? That's all keeping the drug illegal does.

And you should not comment on anything to do with Jesus,he never said alcohol was ok with him, yes he drank wine.... But not once did he get drunk or use it for that.... This year will be an eye opener for us all...... I cant wait!!!

Huh? I seem to have forgotten when I said this, can you post a link to where I said any of the above? But whatever, mis-attributed quotes aside. How do you know that Jesus never got drunk?

Also you are excited for the end times to occur? (I assume that is what you are talking about going by how you reference judging people and all) When the end times occur, according to the bible, there will be much death, hardship and suffering. It's so nice that your empathy allows you to be excited for such a time... Do you get all hot and excited about someone burning in eternal fire and unending extreme pain for the actions committed during a fraction of a fraction of that eternity too?

Though you will be waiting for a while. Revelation isn't going to happen. The silly idea that God thinks that this planet is somehow more important than any other body in the universe is straight up laughable. Then to think that God will bend the laws of physics to end the lifeforms' lives on that planet is even funnier. There are PLENTY of natural non-physical law bending ways that our planet could be wiped sterile or all of humanity wiped out that doesn't require a Michael Bay level battle between angels and demons. Do you have any concept about how inconsequential not only our planet is, but our entire solar system is in the grand scheme of things? Heck we can even extrapolate that out and say that even our GALAXY is inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. The mere idea that a small blue rock located in some random part of that galaxy is somehow more special is just stupid. Not to mention, why do you think that God would create this vast universe, create man in his image, then confine mankind's entire existence from birth to death on to that one measly planet? Never to breach the recesses of space and explore all the extraterrestrial beauty of our universe. Lol such a funny concept.
edit on 28-3-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   

stumason

Oh I know....but I think it's more than mere semantics.
I understand that gays have had pretty much the same thing for a decade, but to call it Marriage and have it officially recognised, as marriage, I would imagine, is a great thing.
If it is no different and not a separate thing, then why call it something else, why not just call it marriage?

Anyway, it's all good... they can now marry and call it marriage.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Lifeishigh

.....Sooner or later we will all be judged, wether u believe in God or or not...

If, and its a massive IF, that is true then it will be 'him' who does the judging, not you.
What or who gives you the right to judge someone?
What gives you the right to impose your moral code on anyone else?

And don't you think your 'God' will be more disposed to judge people on their acts and deeds and if they've tried to live a kind and just life showing compassion to their fellow human beings rather than if they've adhered to some dogmatic creed that pays lip service to the afore mentioned attributes whilst in reality being nothing more than over bearing, pompous control measures?

Homosexuality has been around as long mankind has been.
People can no more choose to be homosexual than they can choose to left or right handed.
Of course it can be supressed, and possibly even exaggerated, but we are what we are - its not a 'belief'.

I know quite a few gay couples who would make great adoptive parents....I know a few who are complete tossers and I wouldn't like to see them being responsible for the upkeep and guardianship of a hamster let alone a child.
Exactly the same can be said about the multitude of heterosexual couples I know.

I wish we could discuss that here, but we can't due to T&C so I think it best if it were just dropped.

And you should not comment on anything to do with Jesus,....

Why not?
I reckon Jesus would welcome open and honest debate on most topics, after all, didn't he confront all the accepted social norms of the day?

.....he never said alcohol was ok with him, yes he drank wine....

And he never said it wasn't ok.
He not only drank it he turned water into wine so that people could enjoy themselves, at a wedding quite ironically.

.... But not once did he get drunk or use it for that....

How do you know?
I bet he had a good drink at Cana, there was certainly plenty of it around to be had, he made certain of that. And why did he do that?

Use it for what?

This year will be an eye opener for us all...... I cant wait!!!

Why, what is going to happen this year? Please be specific.

Now I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you mean there's going to be some sort of reckoning and lots of people will suffer immensely.
And you can't wait for that?

You do seem like the compassionate sort don't you.

I suggest you have a re-read of The New Testament with an open mind and re-think Jesus's alleged message.
edit on 28/3/14 by Freeborn because: spelling

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Yaaaaas!

Condragulations UK!

Hopefully the World begins to see that Discrimination is not needed, and can focus on compassion and acceptance

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join