It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay people can get married in the UK at midnight tonight :D

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   
The hypocrisy around here is something I've always found strangely amusing. Only on ATS can you praise a religious custom and bash religion in the same thread.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Why pick an arbitrary time like midnight?

If I were gay and engaged, I'd get married now.

What are they going to say? It's illegal until a few hours from now?

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I think it is just the way of saying that the law comes into place as from midnight... Can't see many churches and registry offices being open at that time of the morning Beez.

Well done to the UK Gvt for taking a new step forward for equal rights for those who love each other.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Yes but for thousands of years MARRIAGE is the sanctity of a man and a woman, for the purpose of creation.

If we accept 'marriage' as a Christian or Abrahamic constitution then yes, marriage has been the preserve of male - female unions.
But as we all know 'marriage' isn't the preserve of the Abrahamic religions or societies and many, if not most, cultures have had a general acceptance of varying types of homosexual relationships.

As most of us here on ATS live in supposed secular country's should we allow religious dogma to dictate just who can or can not be married?

Since a gay couple are neither, now do you see?

Of course I 'see', I just don't agree with it.
And I don't see why it should be such a big issue.

I no more agree with gay couples voicing to everyone 'look at us, we're married' than I do people espousing anti-gay marriage rhetoric - it should simply be a none issue.

It doesn't bother me, I am in Canada and my uncle is gay and married.

Good, I'm very pleased for him.
I don't understand why anyone should be denied the right to be happy if it doesn't harm anyone else - does your Uncle being gay, married and hopefully happy have any bearing or impact on me or anyone else being heterosexual, married and happy?

Its all nonsense.
edit on 28/3/14 by Freeborn because: grammar

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   
They can call it what they want but it's not marriage. But it is a good term to use "gaymarriage" So they would be gaymarried not married.

And not to rain on the gay parade but I think you still get jail time in Russia and death in some countries for open homosexuality.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   

ausername
A perversion of the natural order does indeed come with consequences.

Forgive them father, for they know not what they do.

I think a civil union of some kind for gays should be available, as for marriage, it is just wrong.

But who am I to judge?

Except marriage pre-dates any organised religion and marriage is not a religious "creation"
It may have become one, but marriage, certainly in the west, is recognised and recorded by the state.
It is a legal union for which you receive a certificate and your marriage is registered.
Religion is merely a type of setting, a backdrop.

And you're asking who are you to judge? I'd say someone with an archaic, offensive belief/opinion.

But who am I to judge, eh?
edit on 28/3/14 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Fromabove

They can call it what they want but it's not marriage. But it is a good term to use "gaymarriage" So they would be gaymarried not married.

And not to rain on the gay parade but I think you still get jail time in Russia and death in some countries for open homosexuality.

Except that is Exactly what it is.... Marriage, officially recognised in the same way that "straight" Marriage is.

Deal with it.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Fromabove

And they still stone rape victims to death in some societies, does that make it acceptable?

And since when has Russian laws and jurisprudence had any influence or relevance on UK Law?

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   
This is a wonderful day for divorce lawyers more people getting married means more money from a divorces.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Sorry to piddle on your bonfire old chap, but they are not in Russia or another country, they are in a country called the UK where this debate has been going on for a VERY long time and the law has been voted in democratically... religious and morality issues taken into consideration too methinks...

the law has been voted and those that don't agree with it are just going to have to live with it and grind their teeth a little bit more.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I think that Christians, and everyone really, need to consider something.

Do you maybe cherry pick things from the bible that you feel can justify judgement and punishment? Do you remember that it is not our place to judge, and not our place to enforce god's will?

It isn't very righteous to refuse two men or two women the same rights that straight couples have. We are not to judge anyone except ourselves.

Matthew 7:1-5
Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgement you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.

James 4:12
There is only one lawgiver and judge, he who is able to save and to destroy. But who are you to judge your neighbor?

Matthew 6:14-15
For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

Galatians 5:14
For the whole law is fulfilled in one word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”

Romans 12:16-19
Live in harmony with one another. Do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly. Never be wise in your own sight. Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.”

2 Timothy 2:24-26 ESV
And the Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil, correcting his opponents with gentleness. God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth, and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, after being captured by him to do his will.

I could go on forever. To me, it seems that the bible puts a TON of emphasis on not being a dick... and nearly no emphasis on whether or not homosexuality is right. There are just a handful of incredibly vague verses that scholars can not agree on regarding homosexuality. Yet there are hundreds of mentions of being a good #ing person and not judging others.

So, all you #ing bigots. Read the bible again. Either read, understand, and execute the entirety of the bible... or drop it all. Don't use the Bible to justify hurting people. You guys, who are against homosexuality, are actually hurting people.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   

boymonkey74
reply to post by Freeborn

Yup I agree

Iam just happy for my uncle who has been with the same fella for 20 years, adopted 2 lovely kids and now getting wed the same way all his brothers did to show his love and devotion for his partner

Plus all the equal rights that go along with it.

I'm still curious as to what exactly did your uncle gain here?
What equal rights are you referring to that weren't already available to him through a civil partnership?

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   

blupblup

ausername
A perversion of the natural order does indeed come with consequences.

Forgive them father, for they know not what they do.

I think a civil union of some kind for gays should be available, as for marriage, it is just wrong.

But who am I to judge?

Except marriage pre-dates any organised religion and marriage is not a religious "creation"
It may have become one, but marriage, certainly in the west, is recognised and recorded by the state.
It is a legal union for which you receive a certificate and your marriage is registered.
Religion is merely a type of setting, a backdrop.

And you're asking who are you to judge? I'd say someone with an archaic, offensive belief/opinion.

But who am I to judge, eh?
edit on 28/3/14 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

Do you have some links or info on marriage pre-dating religion?

This sounds like an interesting read...

thanks

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Marriage is not a religious issue, it is a legal issue. The preacher that married you can't divorce you, that takes a judge. Saying that it's an offense to god is totally irrelevant to people's rights. married people can file joint tax returns and have many other benefits that only a spouse can obtain. The real question is can guys have the same legal rights as everyone else.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
So same sex marriage, does that mean i can marry my best mate ? We're not gay, just thinking of any benefits we might get from it ? Or do we have to pass some sort of Gayness test ?

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Wow I'm shocked! Usually on these conspiracy sites all I see is xenophobia and hate. I was pleasantly surprised when I clicked on this topic, expecting to see the same ole 'god hates fa#s' rhetoric and I see the kind comments outweigh the negative. Well done ATS'ers!

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   

ProRipp
So same sex marriage, does that mean i can marry my best mate ? We're not gay, just thinking of any benefits we might get from it ? Or do we have to pass some sort of Gayness test ?

Goat joke in 3... 2... 1...

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Tom Dobbs said once:

"Of course I support gay marriage. I believe they have a right to be as miserable as the rest of us."...Oh I so agree!! LOL

Jokes aside, love is love and your gender doesn't define who you should love. As long as that love is between two consenting adults, then who cares who you want to marry?

It's time we stop labeling people.......gay/straight, black/white, religious/atheist, legal/illegal, we are all the same.
Full stop.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   

ProRipp

Well, there are men and women who marry each other, and don't have sex

Lots of men and women marry each other when they don't even love each other (trophy wives and sugar daddies), so I don't know why you can't.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   

boymonkey74
reply to post by blupblup

Oh I know we were a little behind but we have caught on and hopefully we can lead by example.

a little behind well some might like that

ye good luck to them
edit on 28-3-2014 by 999zxcv because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join