It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay people can get married in the UK at midnight tonight :D

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

I could NEVER be gay ! Christ I'd hate getting turned down by blokes aswell ! And the last girl I was with said I was the worst lover she'd ever had ! I Said " how can you possibly come to that conclusion after only 90 seconds ?"

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Well it's not often that the UK is ahead of most of the world, but this is one IMO that we've got right

To be perfectly honest, I really don't understand why it's been made into the big issue that it has been.

Bone75

stumason
reply to post by blupblup

We have had Civil Partnerships for several years now, since 2004, which gave all the legal bit's of marriage without actually calling it such. This is just the veneer on an already existing law, allowing them to be called Marriages and to be allowed to take place in Religious buildings that allow it.

Ahhh there's the thumb in the eye of religion that I was looking for. That's all it is. This issue has nothing to do with equal rights. I wonder what this means for ministers that don't want to perform gay marriages?

Yep - the right to religious ceremonies is part of it, but there are other differences between the existing 'civil partnerships' and marriage. See the article here (if I haven't cocked up the link). I'm not one to get all judgmental about other people's beliefs, so I'll let people make up their own minds on how important those issues are. I know that to some same sex couples they're very important though.

BTW it means nothing to ministers (or any other religious leaders) who don't want to perform marriages for same sex couples.
As I understand it, they have the right not to offer same sex marriages - it's just that it's now legal for them to perform them should they choose to do so.
Frankly, I don't think any of the gay couples I know would want to get married in an institution that hates them anyway !!!
edit on th00000086140 by Suzy0 because: spelling

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   
What you fundies need to understand is that us gay folks have no desire to corrupt the fabric of society, if you're really so worried about marriage...why don't you go after divorces? I can't speak for all gay people, but I can speak for myself. You can believe whatever you want, I'm ok with that. I think religion, if it helps you get through life is a great thing. When your religion starts to impose on other people, that's when it becomes a problem.

I personally am not trying to impose anything on anyone. You can believe anything you want, it doesn't mean I have to subscribe to it. I don't want to take any of your rights or beliefs away, I just want to live my life and have the chance to pursue happiness. Why would anyone person actively fight against the right for another person to be happy?

That's the part I really don't get.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Good news. Live and let live. I suppose, unless you are with one of the three religions of hate.

Oh Abraham, where art thee, rollest over in thy grave as thou fruit doth sour the earth. 1st hemoglobins 1.5.7

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Best thing is , i dont even know why i'm putting my 'oar' in to this thread ? Cos I aint religious I aint GAY and after being married once. I am completely Anti Marriage ! LOL
But ... and there has to be one......
where is it gonna stop ?

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 05:32 AM
link   

ProRipp

where is it gonna stop ?

Well traditionally I think it's meant to be " 'til death do us part" although I hear that a fair few are stopping at divorce these days

Seriously though, where's what going to stop? For the most part, we're just talking about two consenting adults who love one another wanting to make a public and legally recognised commitment (although I do acknowledge that there are sometimes other reasons for wanting to get married).

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 05:55 AM
link   
This is just fantastic news.
I just saw the footage and interview, post wedding, of the first couple to marry in GB.
They are so happy and proud and so they should be.
They also said that if they alread had equality then why was it called something else, why were only a certain group allowed to have a civil partnership.
They are right, true equality is true equality - not kind of equality or almost equality, but real equality

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Good luck too them, I wish them all nothing but the best......

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I really can't understand why some Christians are against this.

While, in principle, the UK is a Christian country, in practice, it's secular. The majority of people here are nominally Christian, while many polls show that atheists/non-religious are in the majority.

If you're a Christian and against gay marriage - then fine. But what if a non-Christian or Progressive Christian gay couple want to marry? Prohibiting them from getting married would amount to nothing other than a theocracy.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 12:35 AM
link   

AnimatedMatter

While, in principle, the UK is a Christian country, in practice, it's secular. The majority of people here are nominally Christian, while many polls show that atheists/non-religious are in the majority.

If you're a Christian and against gay marriage - then fine. But what if a non-Christian or Progressive Christian gay couple want to marry? Prohibiting them from getting married would amount to nothing other than a theocracy.

I'm against it because I know the progressive agenda against Christianity isn't going to stop with gay marriage. Next churches will be forced to perform gay marriages or face losing their licenses. Mark my words.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 01:36 AM
link   
World indeed is full of contradictions and surprises. What was taboo yesterday is no longer an issue today.

I wonder what could be the tomorrow’s next surprise..? Marriage with the pets..? LOVE IS LOVE….. right!?

Stop this Goddamn planet I want to get out..!

edit on 1-4-2014 by amkia because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by amkia

exactly my point.. i posted a few things earlier in this thread but kinda stopped cause i realize it was getting no where fast.

like always, us humans lack to see the big picture and the consequences it will bring. but ya i agree, hey love is love right? why discriminate 2 guys or girls cause they want to get married? so much hate in this world.... i love my dog, can i marry it? oh wait thats wrong, it 2 diff species and we cant reproduce.... huh but 2 gays can?
misinterpret this message all u want the truth is still there....

why cant we just be honest here, we are all the problem, if we were allowed to do what we wanted, think of the chaos we would live in. not saying we dont but if things are as screwed up as they are now, just imagine how they will be years from now... not saying only gays shouldnt marry, but the simple concept of right and wrong has to be followed or there will be consequence...

yes i believe change is near and no i dont enjoy the idea that burning in an eternity of fire is right.... honestly i dont know wether to believe in the bible or that an et race will come help us but i do believe man kind has shown it cannot be trusted.... (not saying all, but a good majority)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 02:04 AM
link   
First it was acceptance, then equality, now marriage. What will be gays next endeavor? When i say gays i mean male gays, no one cares about gay women. How long before two male gays can legally adopt children in UK? Probably not long at all. Then what?
The thought of two sexually depraved men getting their claws on an innocent little boy scares the # out of me!
And before anyone comes and brands me a homophobe, dont bother, its totally natural, unlike gayness and i wear that term as a badge of honor.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Aleister

woodwardjnr
I've just witnessed the biggest thunderstorm of the year. I believe this was gods way of saying he was unhappy with this news.

VOTE UKIP
edit on 28-3-2014 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

Or maybe it's God's way of celebrating!

Heard the story of Sodom? That's Gods way of celebrating...

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 02:15 AM
link   
I thought it was already legal in the UK .

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by DarknStormy

well i dont know if God was actually happy for that destruction.... but my point being, tell me that our modern life is any diff from then? Its not, its the same, if not, imho alot worse......

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 03:30 AM
link   

AnimatedMatter

A true Christian wouldn't marry a gay person and with that a gay person cannot be a true/righteous Christian. In a self-styled religion this would be OK but the true teaching tells the reader that they should stay away from not only homosexuals but anyone who transgresses the commandments of Jesus.. It's as simple as that.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 03:33 AM
link   

DarknStormy

AnimatedMatter

A true Christian wouldn't marry a gay person and with that a gay person cannot be a true/righteous Christian. In a self-styled religion this would be OK but the true teaching tells the reader that they should stay away from not only homosexuals but anyone who transgresses the commandments of Jesus.. It's as simple as that.

Ah, so now we come down to it. What is a 'true' Christian? Someone who only agrees with you?

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Lifeishigh

well i dont know if God was actually happy for that destruction.... but my point being, tell me that our modern life is any diff from then? Its not, its the same, if not, imho alot worse......

The truth is we don't know how things were back then so it's very hard to make a comparison. But what the bible shows is what happens to people who choose the path of "Unrighteousness". The point is there way leads to destruction and don't get me wrong, there are more issues than just homosexuality.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Religions die off after time if they do not evolve with the times.
Many Christian churches have said they will marry gay folk and they will continue for a little more time than the ones who refuse to marry gay folk.
Most people in the UK agree with gay marriage and as the older generations die off I think in 10-20 years 99% of folk will agree with it and they will look back at anti gay messages as we do now with anti black messages.
It isn't going to change so accept it and do what Christ would have done....embrace love.
It effects no one at all so why waste your energy fighting it?.

(oh I replied to you by mistake I just wanted to add this in general).
edit on 1-4-2014 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join