It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is Iran building giant mock-up of U.S. aircraft carrier?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

This looks like it was taken with a tilt-shift lens. Like someone took a photo of a model and is passing it off as a huge object. I'm not implying that is, in fact, what is going on, just what it looks like to me.

edit on 22-3-2014 by lovebeck because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Maybe they want to help america out and give that as gift for israel so obama wont need to give them all the time

Dun really know nothing about it, real, fake dun know dun care..

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Bilk22

That picture on the left screams fake to me. Kinda looks like CGI..... Particularly the jets.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Perfect stranger

Weird! I'm replying so I can come back later. S&F!

EDIT:

BTW there is rumours that this could be a big prop for an upcoming movie: www.payvand.com...

edit on 22-3-2014 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000
reply to post by Cito

It's important to note at this point, the OP story.

Amid ongoing high-level diplomatic talks between the United States and Iran, it's a symbol of underlying mistrust.

Commercial satellite images obtained by CNN reveal that Iran is constructing a large-scale replica of a U.S. military aircraft carrier, complete with fake U.S-style airplanes, near the southern port city of Bandar Abbas.
(Op Link)

Unlike many stories today, this isn't being hailed as something out of the ether for a source or something acquired from...who knows quite where?

CNN takes direct claim for being the contract source to have purchased the set over that dry dock for this photograph,

So if it's a hoax or old or something else other than it appears? I'd say there are some individuals in CNN's Atlanta HQ and a commercial satellite company which can form the core of a whole new thread (and really, good story) if there is any truth to it being illegitimate.
Laura Koran, the author, is a "Video Producer" at CNN in Washington - from her Linkedin page. Yeah this article smells.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Here is a pic of the mock carrier before it was painted. The shadows all match.
Image of Carrier before painting

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Bilk22
Come on this is bogus.

And what of this picture which I linked back on page 2 and appears to be taken at the SAFF shipyard?

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   

AugustusMasonicus

Bilk22
Come on this is bogus.

And what of this picture which I linked back on page 2 and appears to be taken at the SAFF shipyard?
What of it? You think it was used to training or to fool anyone? I really don't think you believe that either. Now I can believe it's a movie prop. How about you? Also, where did those pics you linked to, come from? If this was some top secret endeavor, why would they be posted on the net like that?

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Bilk22
What of it?

It shows that the mockup is real.

You think it was used to training or to fool anyone?

It has not been used as of yet so I am not going to heavily speculate on why the Iranians are constructing the mockup.

Now I can believe it's a movie prop. How about you?

I would say that is a reasonable assumption, as is that they built it for target practice/propaganda. Or maybe it is both, it will be used in a film and then sunk for dramatic effect.

Also, where did those pics you linked to, come from?

The link says 'Asian Defense News' so I would assume it is their photograph.

If this was some top secret endeavor, why would they be posted on the net like that?

Who said it was secret? They are obviously constructing it on the open in clear view of passing reconnaissance satellites.

edit on 22-3-2014 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   

AugustusMasonicus

Bilk22
What of it?

It shows that the mockup is real.

You think it was used to training or to fool anyone?

It has not been used as of yet so I am not going to heavily speculate on why the Iranians are constructing the mockup.

Now I can believe it's a movie prop. How about you?

I would say that is a reasonable assumption, as is that they built it for target practice/propaganda. Or maybe it is both, it will be used in a film and then sunk for dramatic effect.

Also, where did those pics you linked to, come from?

The link says 'Asian Defense News' so I would assume it is their photograph.

If this was some top secret endeavor, why would they be posted on the net like that?

Who said it was secret? They are obviously constructing it on the open in clear view of passing reconnaissance satellites.

edit on 22-3-2014 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer
Ok but it's made from wood. How would blowing it up look realistic? As for target practice or training, it's half the size of a real carrier. I can see it used as a prop for a movie. There are also a lot of people there that can see it in plain view. How would they pull it off as propaganda? Not seeing it.

My bigger problem is CNN's use of it and how they tied it to relations with the US.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Bilk22
Ok but it's made from wood. How would blowing it up look realistic?

I have no idea, and neither do you, what it is made off and who said it needs to look realistic if/when it is destroyed? I think the premise for the Iranians is that its appearance is similar to an American carrier.

As for target practice or training, it's half the size of a real carrier. I can see it used as a prop for a movie. There are also a lot of people there that can see it in plain view. How would they pull it off as propaganda? Not seeing it.

My thoughts on the propaganda end is they use an anti-ship missile to destroy it and then go on state run television and tout that this would be how they dealt with a real carrier.

My bigger problem is CNN's use of it and how they tied it to relations with the US.

Well it is obviously tied to the United States, we built the USS Nimitz which they poorly copied.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I'm extremely unconvinced by the ideas mooted in the article.....Depending on the accuracy of the internal layout, such a mock-up would be an extremely useful training asset for the naval assault forces of the many nations who feel threatened by US militarism.

Perhaps it's a great big floating 'Killing House'?

EDIT - Having now found more images of this thing (I'd only seen the satellite image until I found this thread), I'm less inclined to think the above and more inclined to go with the movie prop theory.....It doesn't seem accurate enough to plan an assault.
edit on 22-3-2014 by squarehead666 because: content etc.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   
This is confirmed to be a movie prop. End of story.Iran US to Co-produce Film

Now why wouldn't CNN know this? Or if they did, then there's something really wrong. Use a search engine and find other sources for the info if you don't like this one. There's plenty.

Another source. Link
edit on 04302Saturdayk22 by Bilk22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Bilk22

The film you're linking a story about relates to the U.S.S. Vincennes, which was a Heavy Cruiser, not a Nimitz class carrier, let alone the Nimitz itself (going by the report of the hull number they chose to paint on it). How would the Vincennes shoot down relate to the Nimitz 'mock-up'? (It's hard to call that a mock-up of the Nimitz in much more than having the number painted on it)

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000
reply to post by Bilk22

The film you're linking a story about relates to the U.S.S. Vincennes, which was a Heavy Cruiser, not a Nimitz class carrier, let alone the Nimitz itself (going by the report of the hull number they chose to paint on it). How would the Vincennes shoot down relate to the Nimitz 'mock-up'? (It's hard to call that a mock-up of the Nimitz in much more than having the number painted on it)
Yes I read the article and know the incident. Did the Vincennes sail alone? We also don't know the progression of the movie. Maybe it moves ahead in time.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Bilk22

I'm just curious...not arguing.

I've checked a couple different things saying it's a movie prop, but the source articles don't seem to mention this one, specifically. So I'm starting to wonder on that.

That, and the fact that articles -this far off are what get people fired from a place like CNN, I'd think.

If that's the case though, I'd agree with what you're saying. CNN blowing the whole context and identification forms a much more interesting story than mock-ups for goodness knows what purpose.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000
reply to post by Bilk22

I'm just curious...not arguing.

I've checked a couple different things saying it's a movie prop, but the source articles don't seem to mention this one, specifically. So I'm starting to wonder on that.

That, and the fact that articles -this far off are what get people fired from a place like CNN, I'd think.

If that's the case though, I'd agree with what you're saying. CNN blowing the whole context and identification forms a much more interesting story than mock-ups for goodness knows what purpose.
Not arguing here either and BINGO! That's the bigger story than this stick boat that may very well roll over onto it's side when it hits the water. As for the articles being specific on what ships they'd be using as props, I don't think it was an issue at the time. Hopefully they come forward and set the record straight.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   

intrptr
Some others were wondering if the ship was real, I was directing my comments at that. There are several conversations going on here and I obviously "missed the boat".

Thanks for remaining civil, I bow to the consensus…
Thanks for the clarification, makes more sense now. I didn't realize you were responding to people who thought the "mock-up" was a real ship.

reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Bilk22
Not arguing here either and BINGO! That's the bigger story than this stick boat that may very well roll over onto it's side when it hits the water. As for the articles being specific on what ships they'd be using as props, I don't think it was an issue at the time. Hopefully they come forward and set the record straight.
This is what I like about ATS, recognizing that the real conspiracy may be the CNN story, and not the mock-up of a ship.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   

One has to wonder why they'd used the wrong paint scheme if they want to model the real carrier. I don't believe the Nimitz has a huge yellow band around it. It also has angular lines which the real ship does not. One also has to wonder what kind of beneficial training they could acquire when the inside of the hull is just an armature for the skin. The real meat of the training would be on the inside where they'd need to secure for control. That whole premise of the idea that it's for trailing is just plain silly.
edit on 10126Saturdayk22 by Bilk22 because: Spelling

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   

AugustusMasonicus
I personally think it is a propaganda set piece that they will tow out into the Gulf, fire a missile (or two) at and sink for their state run television stations. Their premise will be, 'Look, we have the technology to sink an American super-carrier.

I doubt it, but if true then that plan is out of the window as Iran get the internet too so it's no secret. I doubt they would make it in full view of satellites, after all they do know about satellites, they have sent their own up into space

edit on 22-3-2014 by lifttheveil because: spelling correction

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join