It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is Iran building giant mock-up of U.S. aircraft carrier?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   

jhn7537
...I call a fake here

They are not building a real carrier, it is a mockup which would make the aircraft mockups as well.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Bilk22
Let's look at these two side by side for a realistic appraisal of which is real and which is fake.

The first pic appears to be of a real aircraft carrier being built. The detail of the surrounding area, the buildings and pretty much everything associated with it is much greater. Where is the store of materials for building this fake carrier? Where's the support vehicles? And in my estimation, it's way too short to be a scale mockup of a carrier. The planes on the deck are way too small, but need to be for scale vs the ship. This is a fugazie pic.

Agreed. Your bottom blow up shows the shading on the whole boat is wrong compared to the surrounding buildings and cranes.

And wheres the conning tower and lift elevators? Don't see any sign of those. Plus the deck is not painted until last. The runway markers are already laid down. Probably to give the CGI impression its ready for launch?

No can do… done been sunk on ATS (insert loud foghorn sound).

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   

intrptr
And wheres the conning tower and lift elevators? Don't see any sign of those. Plus the deck is not painted until last. The runway markers are already laid down. Probably to give the CGI impression its ready for launch?

Those are not the same locations. One is India, the other is Iran.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
WELL DUH!!!

The usa and its buddy isreal are always on the verge of invading.

What the USA main invasion weapon AIRCRAFT CARRIERS!

You dont need a IQ of 140 to work out why!

To me good on them, a sound DEFENSE reason if ever i see one.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   

crazyewok
To me good on them, a sound DEFENSE reason if ever i see one.

Since when is building a fake aircraft carrier a 'sound defense reason'?

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
What is the point of that thing, is what bothers me. Iranians aren't simple minded people. They aren't stupid and they aren't taken to creating whole ships in mock-up just to give someone in Ft Meade's satellite analysis unit a headache. That's a lot of work building something which is obvious for what it is and isn't (and you can bet the real satellite photos for quality can read adhesive labels, if any, stuck to the outside of the "aircraft" on "deck". Iran would know that, too.

So why build it? I'm serious in asking.... It's not even a US carrier. Look at the shape. The differences aren't earth shattering, but when building from scratch, why deliberately build it wrong when a scale copy is just as easy or more so for duplicating what exists?

So....close ..but not close enough to 'train' on like SEALs on a mock-up for a raid. It's definitely different enough, it would appear, to make that of very questionable value.

Is there any benefit to having that thing in the straight at the same time as a real U.S. Carrier transiting in or out? Are there ANY weapon systems in the world that could be confused if that was floating nearby the real article, and hit the 'wrong' one? Is that any reason?

I'm really confused because something like this really isn't being made for laughs and nothing better to do. There IS a good reason, from their perspective anyway. Something doesn't set right when nothing logical fits the gap.
edit on 22-3-2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by AugustusMasonicus

Target practice.

Simple.

Build a hulk to test there latest anti ship missils.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Read it could be for a movie.

Seems like a pretty irrelevant story, haha.

I guess the Iran haters need something to keep driving them.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   

crazyewok
Target practice.

Simple.

Build a hulk to test there latest anti ship missils.

If you want to test a weapons platform you test it against an object that is as close as possible to the real world target. A decommissioned military vessel would be more appropriate then a barge with a flight deck applied to it. Your idea is akin to shooting down a hang glider with a Sidewinder missile to see what would happen if it was fired on a Mig-35.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   

And who would fall for that?

He did mention the fog of war, I believe? Imagine a foggy night (no pun intended) when the elements of bad weather are utilized to aid in an attack… hypersonic missiles are flying everywhere, ships are too busy to keep track of everything and then on the horizon, this thing appears on radar.

Sowing a little confusion in war is a tried and true tactic. In WWII the German high command was fooled into thinking the attack at Normandy was a ruse for days. They thought the real attack was to come further north. The allies built an entire fictitious army around General Patton complete with tanks and aircraft made of rubber and radio traffic that emulated large scale movement of men and materiel.

That was one such subterfuge put on by the allies. There were others. Entire armies have been fooled down thru the ages.

Get your Trojans on.

Difference today is we have satellites.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000
Is there any benefit to having that thing in the straight at the same time as a real U.S. Carrier transiting in or out? Are there ANY weapon systems in the world that could be confused if that was floating nearby the real article, and hit the 'wrong' one? Is that any reason?

I do not think so. To penetrate a carrier task force you would have to get through the destroyer/cruiser picket line and all there CIWS. This thing would be floating along towed by another vessel.

I'm really confused because something like this really isn't being made for laughs and nothing better to do. There IS a good reason, from their perspective anyway. Something doesn't set right when nothing logical fits the gap.

I still think it is for state television propaganda purposes and while we think it is funny they are going to try and make Iranian citizens take it very seriously.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   

intrptr
He did mention the fog of war, I believe? Imagine a foggy night (no pun intended) when the elements of bad weather are utilized to aid in an attack… hypersonic missiles are flying everywhere, ships are too busy to keep track of everything and then on the horizon, this thing appears on radar.

If you think that tactic would work then you really do not understand modern warfare, weaponry and defense systems. It does not matter what the ambient weather happens to be or how many vessels and weapons are involved, this floating barge would be detected and assessed long before it appeared on the horizon.

In WWII the German high command was fooled into thinking the attack at Normandy was a ruse for days.

World War II was 70 years ago, technology has improved marginally since then. A fake carrier would not fool anyone in this day with the available detection systems available.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

I think target practice myself

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Bilk22
Here's another GE pic of the site. It looks nothing like that pic from the OP article.
Any idea when that pic was taken? If it's an older picture, it doesn't preclude the possibility that the site looks different today.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   

I do not think so. To penetrate a carrier task force you would have to get through the destroyer/cruiser picket line and all there CIWS. This thing would be floating along towed by another vessel.

You're right, and that's true. However, that is NOT true in just 3 places on Earth.

#1. The Panama Canal Transit

#2. The Suez Canal Transit

#3. The Straight of Hormuz.

There are a couple others like the Strait of Malacca, but it doesn't compare in the same way to have our Capital ship sitting in the way it's never meant to be, outside a friendly harbor....alone by physical space limits. The Bosporus Straight as well, but I'll just write the Navy off as insane if they take a CVBG into Russia's backyard pool right now. (Assuming Turkey wouldn't object, which, right now? err...I wouldn't test that either)

In this case, Iran happens to own a strategic port, dead center and amid what is called 'The most strategic waterway on Earth'. Indeed..I do get a little curious and perk my ears to hear of weird things even remotely relating to the Navy around there.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   

AugustusMasonicus

intrptr

Those are not the same locations. One is India, the other is Iran.

The pic is faked. The suns shadows are all wrong below the crane on deck (compare it with shadows another cranes in view) it has been cut from some other photo and placed there. Look again.

Last time I am saying that.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   

You mean the "hi level" of US tech and tactics, right?

Yes, the invulnerability of Americas military might…

Yes, the inevitable famous last words.

Goliath : "Send out your best man!"

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000
There are a couple others like the Strait of Malacca, but it doesn't compare in the same way to have our Capital ship sitting in the way it's never meant to be, outside a friendly harbor....alone by physical space limits.

I am still not seeing how a fake carrier would be an issue in this instance. If the United States carrier is tied up in Bahrain (where they typically dock when in the Persian Gulf) how would this heap fool anyone?

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   

intrptr
You mean the "hi level" of US tech and tactics, right?

Yes, the invulnerability of Americas military might…

You really do not need any 'hi level' technology or invulnerability to detect what is basically a barge. Try using some common sense instead of silly rhetoric.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   

intrptr
The pic is faked. The suns shadows are all wrong below the crane on deck (compare it with shadows another cranes in view) it has been cut from some other photo and placed there. Look again.
The pic may or may not be a fake, but I'm not seeing a problem with the shadows. It's well known that some people don't know how to interpret shadows from all the shadow claims about moon landing hoaxes.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join