It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Definitive Tabletop RPG Thread

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Here is a list of cool and useful online resources for D&D 5th edition:

donjon's 5e random generator
Awesome for on the fly random generation. It includes six categories each with several sub-categories, very easy to use and definitely adds variety to any game.

donjon's random 5e dungeon generator
What can I say? This thing is amazing. Just give it a whirl, click "random" and then click "construct" go ahead, ill wait... I know right! What's even more cool is what happens when you click "dungeon PDF" it totally converts the entire thing to a PDF in less than a minute. With a little plot and some polishing and fine tuning, we've got ourselves a nifty dungeon for next weeks game for free and fast, what else could a lazy DM ask for? Anyway, the amount of tweaks is virtually limitless, I have a lot of fun playing with this thing.

Enough donjon for now but poke around thast site a little it's an amazing resource for players and DMs alike.

Listo 5e character generator
This thing is great, if you are ever in need of a quick PC or NPC just hit up this site and fill in the blanks and click "generate character". Just transfer the results to your favorite 5e character sheet and have a snack 'cuz your character is done.

Goblinist encounter generator
Its cool, useful and damn does it look pretty! Totally straightforward, line up your desired encounter parameters and click "generate encounter" ta-da! A perfectly balanced encounter perfectly themed for your next adventure.

RK's 5e treasure generator
This is a simple treasure generator that makes a lot of gems and has unique descriptions for weapons such as "crafted by elves" its fun and quirky and gets the job done, which is filling your PCs' pockets with obscene amounts of loot.

D&D 5e tools by Leugren
This is a useful site for any 5e player or DM. Quick and easy with a variety of options this site will definitely help you and your group save time.

That is about it for 5e for now. If you aren't playing Dungeons and Dragons 5th edition yet I highly recommend downloading the basic ruled linked to in my above post nd giving it a try. I think it is one of the better versions of the world's greatest fantasy role playing game yet.

Happy adventures!

edit on Cam1Sunday2520151531Sun, 25 Jan 2015 01:25:15 -06002015 by CagliostroTheGreat because: didnt work as planned

edit on Cam1Sunday2920154931Sun, 25 Jan 2015 01:29:49 -06002015 by CagliostroTheGreat because: cannot abide a typo

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I was reading one of your comments in another thread and happened to notice the link for this one so I thought I'd check it out. Cool stuff. I'm glad I did. I've been going to this site called Drivethroughrpg. It has a lot of cool stuff on it. There are a lot of freebies. Also, some cheap stuff. The most expensive was $50. That was for Call of Cthulhu, I think. I'm not sure if it was so much because it was all the books you need or not. Anywho, I got a game from there called Biosyndrome. It's free and includes the rules and everything. It's a post apocalyptic game where you fight zombies. I haven't played it yet but it looks neat. They also have a lot of D&D stuff on there, too. You can download from the site and comes in watermarked pdf files or zip files.
Have you tried playing D&D without grids? I found a guy on youtube that has what he calls the 2.5 style. You can build set pieces for the game. My friends and I do it and it's fun and cheap to build stuff. Here's a video:

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

That's awesome. I usually use the 1×1 inch grids for purposes of tracking tactical battles but I'm no stranger to Theater of the Mind. In fact d&d 5e seems to be wanting to push TotM more than grid based tactical. They include rules for all (grid, hex and TotM) in the DMG I believe. Those set pieces are beautiful though, I'm going to look into that a little more.

I'll check out Biosyndrome as well. I have been looking for a good Zompocalypse system that isn't a generic system like d20M, GURPS or FateCore. Thanks Skid!

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

You're welcome. Thanks for the thread.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   

This guy is cool, I'm gonna subscribe to his channel. I knew he had to be talking about 13th Age. Its a good system. But 5e has taken the limelight, for me at least.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 06:40 PM
link   

I think he builds some stuff for 5 e in the newer videos. I'm not sure.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Wow talk about nerdgasm, these crafting vids are awesome. I think I may be on the brink of developing a new addiction!

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Lol I know the feeling. My buddies and I spent hours upon hours building stuff for our game. It's amazing what you can do with cardboard.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Have you ever seen any of these videos? They're what got me interested in playing. Caution: language.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I don't know if you know about it or not but Will Wheaton has a show called Table Top. I thought you might be interested in it.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 12:51 AM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat_javascript:hyperlink()

I just wanted to give you an update on the Biosyndrome game. My friends and I played it and it was fun. I found a couple of videos of the creator of the game and his wife playing it. It looks like fun. They were playing a war game and not RPG; though. I wrote to one of the guys involved with the kickstarter and he said that there is a war game version coming out but it's still in development. It, too, will be free when it is released. Here are the videos:

Here is his youtube page.

This is the guy that I wrote to. I looked up the adventure he was talking about and it's only $3.00. It looks cool.

Edit to add:

I went ahead and looked up the Millersburg thing in case you're interested. Here it is. I'm going to get it as soon as I can. It sounds interesting.
edit on 25-2-2015 by Skid Mark because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-2-2015 by Skid Mark because: Grammar

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 04:44 AM
link   
I'd like to plug FFRP - free form role playing.

The Green Dragon Inn
The Black Dragon Inn
Haldor
House Tempest

Are a few Irc style ffrping environments I've sampled.

Rules as flexible as possible to allow for character interaction as interactive writing.

Since Above Top Secret has a Collaborative Writing forum,
Free form role playing offers a method of combining cosmologies, character interaction, and diversified experimental writing styles.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Ive been looking for a group for a few years since our last group broke up due to job relocations.

Central Oklahoma is dry when it comes to anything but Pokemons!

Roll20 seems great if you already have players, being able to share the maps and converse via Skype or something.

Really need a WH40k group though!!!

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger

That is the most difficult part of the hobby: finding people that actually play. The internet has made that a lot easier though. One thing I have done was find a Facebook group or something in your area. That's how I assembled my last play group. We started playing Pathfinder and all but two of us were perfect strangers. We played for a good three and a half years.

You don't even have Magic: The Gathering?

I never got into Warhammer its too damned expensive and even harder to find a play group.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Magic was a little after my time, I didnt notice it until I was in my mid 20s and the only players I knew of were 12 year olds!

I still have my 40k stuff from early 90's when it was called 'Rogue Trader', so I'm still good except for a few miniatures like Space Marines with Eldar weapons, etc.

All you need is a good 3d printer and you can make a ton for a fraction of the cost!

I think I'll need to resort to facebook after all!

Anyone ever used the remote RPG utilities out there? An ATS member campaign might be fun!

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger
I did a thread on a site called Roll20.com. It's for many different RPG games. You can make your own virtual scenarios and there are also games you can join. Some stuff is free, some not. Here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   

I am familiar with Roll20, as far as how it works.

Did not know about your thread, heading there now!

Thank you

top topics

<< 1   >>

join