It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia declares war on Ukraine. Live updates from inside Ukraine

page: 514
<< 511  512  513    515  516  517 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: ausername

Perhaps he joined Ukraine's draft?

I joke, but who knows. Hopefully all is well.
edit on 3-5-2014 by SurrenderingAmerica because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: SurrenderingAmerica

Perhaps he joined Ukraine's draft?

I joke, but who knows. Hopefully all is well.

He said something about going to stay with relatives if fighting broke out. Lets hope thats where he went.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

Didn't Ukraine reinstate mandatory military service?

May 1 2014 - Ukraine reinstates conscription as crisis deepensSupposedly it could raise Ukraine forces to a million members. With that being said all we need to do is look at the Vietnam war to see exactly what a draft can do to fighting effectiveness of combat forces.

I hope he is safe. I know he is in the part of the country that is relatively quiet but that could change in a second.

edit on 3-5-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Assen is not Ukrainian if memory serves.
rainbows
Jane

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Something is wrong with the reports were getting before this started we had people running around with rockets and heavy machine guns.When the army moved in were not seeing destroyed APCs burning or any real losses by UKR other than a couple of helicopters.Either there isnt a massive resistance or all those armed people were fabricated. But its not adding up at all.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
He did say his internet was acting weird.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
a reply to: dragonridr

Didn't Ukraine reinstate mandatory military service?

May 1 2014 - Ukraine reinstates conscription as crisis deepensSupposedly it could raise Ukraine forces to a million members. With that being said all we need to do is look at the Vietnam war to see exactly what a draft can do to fighting effectiveness of combat forces.

I hope he is safe. I know he is in the part of the country that is relatively quiet but that could change in a second.

Vietnam is probably not a very useful comparison. Unless you want to compare the Ukrainians with the Viet Cong who were also fighting for their own homeland, on their own territory.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   
From page 287...

originally posted by: asen_y2k

PutAQuarterIn
reply to post by asen_y2k

How long should we go without hearing from you before we should truly worry if shtf ? I know I take days off the internet, but if no one hears from me a week or more, send a search party.

If nothing extrodinary going on in Ukraine then indefinitely, but if something up and I dont write for 2 days, something off.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: ausername
Looks like the time for Russian overt military intervention is approaching. For Putin it may be now or never.

The longer this goes on, the weaker the Russian leader becomes in appearance.

Lavrov openly said that Russia will not invade if Ukraine does not use military on people. However, what else is military other than tanks, helicopters, snipers and guns. Ukraine is using them all on common people.

Time for Russia to cross over and capture all of Eastern Ukraine. End of the story.

Economic sanctions? the boomerang effect will immediately show in Germany, France and whole of Central Europe. What will happen to UK's economy if Russia yanks out $100B in one day.
edit on 3-5-2014 by victor7 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr
Something is wrong with the reports were getting before this started we had people running around with rockets and heavy machine guns.When the army moved in were not seeing destroyed APCs burning or any real losses by UKR other than a couple of helicopters.Either there isnt a massive resistance or all those armed people were fabricated. But its not adding up at all.

Perhaps it is because it is a small group of Russian mercenaries and GRU setting up each time but their native trainees have proven to be less than reliable on their own?

But there are a lot more locations still being held.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: victor7

Looks like the time for Russian overt military intervention is approaching. For Putin it may be now or never.

The longer this goes on, the weaker the Russian leader becomes in appearance.

Lavrov openly said that Russia will not invade if Ukraine does not use military on people. However, what else is military other than tanks, helicopters, snipers and guns. Ukraine is using them all on common people.

Time for Russia to cross over and capture all of Eastern Ukraine. End of the story.

Economic sanctions? the boomerang effect will immediately show in Germany, France and whole of Central Europe. What will happen to UK's economy if Russia yanks out $100B in one day.

Well at least we know which side you are on.

edit on 3-5-2014 by ALoveSupreme because: typo as its hard to type on touchscreen with nails

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: victor7

Let's make it really simple. It's time for Putin to put up or shut up, take his army and leave the border. There are people that may be massacred because they believed he would defend them.

All of the blood in Ukraine on both sides will be on his hands one way or the other now.

How will future history judge him?

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: ALoveSupreme

Perhaps it is because it is a small group of Russian mercenaries and GRU setting up each time but their native trainees have proven to be less than reliable on their own?

Maybe but it still bothers me it that something is off were missing something. Even if Russia had spc ops now is the time for them to cause trouble a group of spc ops could attack a group of APCs show the resistance. Yet nothing the only way your scenario makes sense is if Russian operatives have been told to stand down and avoid confrontation. And i cant figure out why that would be useful to Putin. Im just feeling like this event is more media staged than reality it just doesnt look right from either side of the news.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   

I agree that it is the right time for Putin to send in his army. This way he will not have to fight his way in and do destruction on the land.

If he is waiting for full scale civil war to justify sending in his army then he is wrong. West will not give any leeway for Russian invasion, either now or later.

No time for "image dressing" here. Time to gain further confidence of those who have supported him and also to protect his men from Spetsnaz and GRU. Can't leave them on the field to find their own ways and means.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   
According to one person in Mariupol tanks are rolling through the city as we speak, people running around and screaming. The pro-Kremlin forces have also set fire to a bank.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: ALoveSupreme

Maybe but it still bothers me it that something is off were missing something. Even if Russia had spc ops now is the time for them to cause trouble a group of spc ops could attack a group of APCs show the resistance. Yet nothing the only way your scenario makes sense is if Russian operatives have been told to stand down and avoid confrontation. And i cant figure out why that would be useful to Putin. Im just feeling like this event is more media staged than reality it just doesnt look right from either side of the news.

There are many circumstances in the past where special forces / mercenaries did not engage in combat directly but rather focused on training or 'advising' local insurgencies. For instance, did you know there were American and EU military advisors in Georgia when that war broke out?

I agree that much of what we have seen and heard has been for show, that is until real street violence started breaking out.

I must bid everyone good evening. It is quite late here but I wish everyone well and let us hope that no more steps are taken towards escalating the current situation.
edit on 3-5-2014 by ALoveSupreme because: typo as its hard to type on touchscreen with nails

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   

a reply to: victor7

Let's make it really simple. It's time for Putin to put up or shut up, take his army and leave the border. There are people that may be massacred because they believed he would defend them.

All of the blood in Ukraine on both sides will be on his hands one way or the other now.

How will future history judge him?

I thought about this your right actually star for you. If Putin has no intention of crossing into Ukraine hes leading people to believe he will if they just fight a little harder. If he is going to invade than at this point hes just letting people die for nothing. So its time for him to make a decision either pull back or move forward all the deaths from this point can be directly blamed on Putins inaction.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   
This was a bank...

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: ALoveSupreme

Actually for the intent of my post it is appropriate. Combat units made up of forced service are generally less efficient than their volunteer counterparts. People who have no desire to fight in a war generally do not make good soldiers, even more so when the combat duty is based on foreign soil on the other side of the world.

Granted it will be different since its occurring on their home soil. My comparison is based solely on the facts surrounding forced conscription combat effectiveness over volunteer effectiveness. It comes back to the age old doctrine of quality over quantity. While quantity of manpower is extremely important, the numbers can be deceiving when the bulk of those individuals have no desire to fight in a war.

Forced conscription works good for military parades.. just ask N. Korea.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: victor7

I agree that it is the right time for Putin to send in his army. This way he will not have to fight his way in and do destruction on the land.

If he is waiting for full scale civil war to justify sending in his army then he is wrong. West will not give any leeway for Russian invasion, either now or later.

No time for "image dressing" here. Time to gain further confidence of those who have supported him and also to protect his men from Spetsnaz and GRU. Can't leave them on the field to find their own ways and means.

Do you think when Russia said it lost control it meant it lost contact with his spc ops and Russia right now doesnt know whats going on in the area? This could explain the inaction as well if you dont know what your walking into you tend to hesitate??

new topics

top topics

<< 511  512  513    515  516  517 >>

join