It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia declares war on Ukraine. Live updates from inside Ukraine

page: 189
<< 186  187  188    190  191  192 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

I feel like the USA needs to do something besides "talk". Russia is not to be toyed with and if we appear weak then IMO Russia will push the very limits.

Although I do feel that a full scale invasion of the Ukraine is inevitable. Why? Yankovich was illegally tossed from office and he requested the Russians assistance. They are more than happy to provide it. In part just to show the world just how weak the USA has become. Kennedy sat there with the football in his hand and was sending out the wide receivers over the missiles in Cuba. Americans have gotten fat and scared and Obama is a pussy. Russia is proving to The World that the USA is a has been.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
It is being widely reported on Twitter that pro-Russian supporters have attacked a building or office belonging to a pro-Ukranian group. Eyewitness reports on Twitter are quite compelling and at the same time extremely disconcerting. Apparently 2 people are confirmed dead and 5 others injured in Kharkiv as a result of gunfire. Agent provocateurs? I think so.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   
If people care to look through my posts they will see that I have traditionally had a hands off policy when it comes to other countries and the USA's interference.

At the moment I truly feel that the USA better show it's nuts or the poor Ukrainians are gonna get steam rolled. Russia will not (has not) stopped at Crimea. Further invasion needs to be dealt with by a show of arms on the USA and NATO's behalf.

If Putin becomes fully convinced that the USA has no balls what is to stop him from taking Poland or Czechoslovakia? This is about much more than the Ukraine IMO. Oh and Monday stocks are gonna hit the ground hard.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Mamatus
If people care to look through my posts they will see that I have traditionally had a hands off policy when it comes to other countries and the USA's interference.

At the moment I truly feel that the USA better show it's nuts or the poor Ukrainians are gonna get steam rolled. Russia will not (has not) stopped at Crimea. Further invasion needs to be dealt with by a show of arms on the USA and NATO's behalf.

If Putin becomes fully convinced that the USA has no balls what is to stop him from taking Poland or Czechoslovakia? This is about much more than the Ukraine IMO. Oh and Monday stocks are gonna hit the ground hard.

An engagement for complete destabilization in one foul swoop of Europe and the USA? Changing of the Guard?

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I'm not sure the last Vice dispatch has been posted yet.
The tension is palpable and it's getting scary.

If these images don't get the Ukrainians pi$sed the ffff off, I'm not sure what will,,,

edit on 14-3-2014 by samsamm9 because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-3-2014 by samsamm9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Fingle

I do not think an engagement necessary. I do think a massive show of force needs to happen though. I truly do not think Putin wants WW3. Time for the USA to start moving a ton of assets that direction. Maybe even move some American soldiers in Kiev, instead of Marines wew can call them Ukrainian Defense Forces and have them take their insignias off their uniforms.....

the USA needs to re-assert it self as a World Power or we are just seeing the start of our demise.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Russia won't just give up. They need Ukraine and their assets to strengthen their stance in the region. USSR days are over, and Russia has been in the shadows for a couple of decades now, only to see their neighbors like China grow.

If Ukraine signed with the EU then Russia would forever be a mediocre power and not a big time player in the region. Putin knows this, that is why they have fought, bribed, etc to keep and gain control in the area. Ukraine is a strategical advantage for them. They have attempted to force Ukraine to be completely dependent on Russia, and have offered some serious trade and goods discounts to entice them to keep milking the russian tit

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Mamatus
reply to post by Fingle

I do not think an engagement necessary. I do think a massive show of force needs to happen though. I truly do not think Putin wants WW3. Time for the USA to start moving a ton of assets that direction. Maybe even move some American soldiers in Kiev, instead of Marines wew can call them Ukrainian Defense Forces and have them take their insignias off their uniforms.....

the USA needs to re-assert it self as a World Power or we are just seeing the start of our demise.

I think the engagement may have ended but ring is up for grabs

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   

ProfessorT
It is being widely reported on Twitter that pro-Russian supporters have attacked a building or office belonging to a pro-Ukranian group. Eyewitness reports on Twitter are quite compelling and at the same time extremely disconcerting. Apparently 2 people are confirmed dead and 5 others injured in Kharkiv as a result of gunfire. Agent provocateurs? I think so.

I suspect more incidents like this will happen. The reason? The "pro-Russian" supporters (or Russians) know they won't be stopped or beaten down or else it will be taken as a "provocation". One wrong move and Russian tanks roll in. What a frustrating situation.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by maddy21

Right so you basically supported a Neo Nazi party which has a history of hate speech on Russians and Jews . You might as well have supported the old Yanukovich govt. if you wanted to keep your enemies that close . I doubt you believe the stuff you speak yourself

Where did I support a Neo-Nazi party? I merely pointed out that in a crisis situation, expediency trumps ideological purity. If you don't understand that, you will never understand politics.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   
RT is reporting that Ukraine is attempting to jam Russian satellites.

An attempted radio-electronic attack on Russian television satellites from the territory of Western Ukraine has been recorded by the Ministry of Communications. It comes days after Ukraine blocked Russian TV channels, a move criticized by the OSCE.

The ministry noted that “people who make such decisions” to attack Russian satellites that retransmit TV signals, “should think about the consequences,” Ria reports. The ministry did not share any details of the attack.

RT Link

edit on 14-3-2014 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Many places are laced with History and equal to many is the Crimea: for ref/quotes/Info-

The Byzantine Empire
The Romans arrived in Crimea in the 1st century AD and established protectorates and naval bases at Khersoness and in the Bosporan kingdom in the east of the peninsula. Roman legionaries were also stationed at fortresses built in strategic locations along the coast, such as the Ai-Todor promontory near Yalta. They lost their Bosporan acquisitions to the Goths in the 4th century, but Khersoness became part of the Byzantine empire and remained under the control of Constantinople until the 13th century, when it was overrun by part of Chingiz Khan's Golden Horde.Battle of Vorksla River 1399

Source www.blacksea-crimea.com...

The Battle of the Vorskla River was a great battle in the medieval history of Eastern Europe. It was fought on August 12, 1399, between the Tatars, under Edigu and Temur Qutlugh, and the armies of Tokhtamysh and Grand DukeVytautas of Lithuania. The battle ended in a decisive Tatar victory.

Source… en.wikipedia.org...

The Soviet invasion of Poland was a Soviet military operation that started without a formal declaration of war on 17 September 1939, immediately after the end of the undeclared war between the Soviet Union and the Empire of Japanat the Battles of Khalkhin Gol (Nomonhan) in the Far East. The Molotov–Tojo agreement between the USSR and Japan was signed on 15 September 1939, with a ceasefire taking effect on 16 September 1939.[6] On 17 September, sixteen days after Nazi Germany invaded Poland from the west, the Soviet Union did so from the east. The invasion ended on 6 October 1939 with the division and annexing of the whole of the Second Polish Republic by Germany and the Soviet Union.[7]

Source… en.wikipedia.org...

The Tatars
For centuries Crimea had been the subject of a tug of war between the Byzantine and Khazar empires, Kievan Rus (the fore-runner of modern Russia) and nomadic tribes such as the Cumans and the Kypchaks. Then in 1223 a new force appeared on the scene. Chingiz Khan's Golden Horde entered Crimea, sweeping all before it. Originating in current day Mongolia, the Tatars were a collection of nomadic tribes who had united under Chingiz Khan's banner, and gathered Turkic people to swell their army as they rode and marched across Central Asia and into Eastern Europe. Renowned for his ruthlessness, the Great Khan's success also lay in his ability to impose discipline and order in place of old tribal rivalries. He introduced laws forbidding, among other things, blood feuds, theft, the bearing of false witness, sorcery, disobedience of a royal command, and bathing in running water. The last was a reflection of the Tatars' animist belief system. They worshipped Mongke Koko Tengre, `The Eternal Blue Sky', the almighty spirit controlling the forces of good and evil, and believed that powerful spirits lived in fire, running water and the wind.
Crimea became part of the huge Tatar empire, stretching from China in the east to beyond Kyiv and Moscow in the west. Because of its sheer size, it was impossible for Chingiz Khan to govern his empire from Mongolia, and the Crimean Khans enjoyed a considerable amount of autonomy. Their first Crimean capital was at Qirim (now Stary Krym), and remained there until the 15th century when it moved to Bakhchisarai. It is during the Tatar period that the peninsula's old name of Tavrida fell gradually into disuse, to be replaced by the name Krym, derived from the name of the Tatar capital.
The breadth of the Tatar empire, and the power of the great Khan meant that for a while merchants and other travellers under his protection could journey east and west in comparative safety. The Tatars concluded trading agreements with the Genoese and the Venetians and Sudak and Kaffa (Feodosia) prospered in spite of the taxes levied on them. Marco Polo landed at Sudak on his way to the court of Kublai Khan in 1275.
Like all great empires, the Tatar empire was influenced by the cultures it encountered during its expansion. In 1262 the Egyptian Mamluk Sultan Baybars, who had been born in Qirim, wrote to one of the Tatar Khans suggesting that the Tatars should convert to Islam. The oldest mosque in Crimea still stands in Stary Krim, built in1314 by Tatar Khan Uzbek.

Source…. www.blacksea-crimea.com...

‘Looking under Russia’ is perhaps an appropriate metaphor for Ukrainian history.

Since the Pereiaslav / Pereyaslav treaty of 1654, Ukraine has only enjoyed statehood independent from Russia at moments of extreme geopolitical dislocation, such as in the final days of the First World War, in the wake of the Russian Revolution of 1917. Russian nationalists today appear to view Ukrainian independence as a similar aberration, the consequence of what President Vladimir Putin labelled the greatest geopolitical disaster of the twentieth century: the collapse of the Soviet Union – a.k.a. the Russian Empire – in 1991.
Old habits die hard. For many Russians, Ukraine is like a phantom limb still felt to be there long after its amputation. The idea that Ukraine is really a nation at all strikes some Russians as odd. To the extent that perceptions of history condition politics, understanding the Russian view of Ukrainian history – and the Ukrainian view of Ukrainian history – is essential.

www.historytoday.com...

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   
When an Army rolls across a border, it is war. Declared or not it is still wrong. The thing that makes this messy is the illegal ousting of Yankovich.

Nothing good will come of this.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

The thing that makes this messy is the illegal ousting of Yankovich.

For those that have forgotten what started this.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Russia/Ukraine escalation could drive gold to $1400 – or higher - short term

www.mineweb.com...

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Ukraine: Ominous World War II Parallels?

warnewsupdates.blogspot.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
On this day, March 14, said Acting Minister of Defence of Ukraine Igor Tenyukh live broadcast "Shuster-Live" at First National.

- We have reliable data on the number of troops involved in the exercise in Russia, focused on the eastern borders of our country, and in the Crimea.

www.mil.gov.ua...

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   
This is it. If the people of Crimea return blank ballots, it means that Crimea still considers itself part of Ukraine. If that happens, NATO will be justified in sinking the Russian Black Sea Fleet at harbor. Good luck cleaning that mess up.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ken10

and @ mamatus

Rainbows
Jane
edit on 14-3-2014 by angelchemuel because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ken10

President Yanukovych postponed a plan to sign an agreement on Nov. 21, 2013,to link Ukraine and Europe's trade this potentially led to the current Ukraine/Crimea crisis. Opposition,protested against his pro-Russian stance that basically forced him flee the Ukraine in fear of his life?

english.peopledaily.com.cn...

edit on 14-3-2014 by Fingle because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 186  187  188    190  191  192 >>

join