It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Officials: 'prepare for days of power outages' Atlanta metro area

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Just a heads up, for folks to dig in........... what am I'm thinking its been plastered over our local stations for the past 3 days. If someone hasn't made preparations bye now I wish you well and stay safe. Up to 1 inch of ice south of Atlanta with snow fall in my area in the 7 to 9 inch range. I have seen power trucks from ohio "big thanks bye the way" . This will be one for the books if it comes to pass .

ICE STORM WARNING: Snow and sleet started falling across a wide area of north Georgia Tuesday morning, as the National Weather Service expanded a Winter Storm Warning. That warning now includes all of North Georgia, and is in effect until 7 a.m. Thursday. The National Weather Service warns that "this has the potential to be a catastrophic event." 

Governor Nathan Deal has declared a state of emergency for 45 counties across north Georgia

Read more: www.myfoxatlanta.com... 
Follow us: @FOX5Atlanta on Twitter | FOX5Atlanta on Facebook

/quote]

edit on 11-2-2014 by hillbilly4rent because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by hillbilly4rent

I stocked up on wine and beer today.

I plan to go grab some water tomorrow (I feel adventurous), have enough meat in the freezer, and a good supply of firewood, books and an acoustic guitar, so everything is cool.

The next few days should indeed be interesting.

The main thing that sucks about no power, other than heat, is 1) no running water and 2) no box fan (I don't sleep well without a fan)

edit on 11-2-2014 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by hillbilly4rent

I understand people do not get this kind of weather and do not understand what to do........... But it really isn't rocket science. We get weather like this every other day up here in Wisconsin and it only causes small problems.

After the last time you would think the learning curve will be a little less steep.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Liquesence

Same here minus the beer and wine. Im as good as its going to get . Now if it doesn't do anything I have 100lbs of ice melt for sale.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by SubTruth

Snow is one thing. Ice is totally different. Especially when it's upwards of an INCH of pure ICE.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   

That is true, but down here the infrastructure isn't the same as up north. A 10th of an inch of ice or 1/2 inch of snow can shut the hole state down. So with 1+ inch ice we may not be back on the grid till the next presidential elections

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Yeah well you people in Wisconsin are just a bunch of cheeseheads so what do you know about it.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   
They will have you up wayyyy before elections if he has to sign an executive order. Gotta see all those commercials you know

Oh yeah BE SAFE!!
edit on 11-2-2014 by mikell because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Don't drive, Everyone knows southerners cant handle snow above 1 inch. fill some containers with water in case you lose power but its unlikely. leave your faucets cracked a bit so your pipes don't freeze over night. extra blankets are your friends, have plenty of beer, don't grill in the house, and for the love of jebus don't forget to raid all the grocery stores for milk and bread(yes that happens A LOT in TN KY and IN. its ridiculous) Party on wayne

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   

EyesOpenMouthShut
Don't drive, Everyone knows southerners cant handle snow above 1 inch. fill some containers with water in case you lose power but its unlikely. leave your faucets cracked a bit so your pipes don't freeze over night. extra blankets are your friends, have plenty of beer, don't grill in the house, and for the love of jebus don't forget to raid all the grocery stores for milk and bread(yes that happens A LOT in TN KY and IN. its ridiculous) Party on wayne

Can someone PLEASE explain to me why people raid the milk isle??? It's as if without milk people will NEVER survive such a thing. I'm so confused.

If there is no bread, hey people, there's this thing called FLOUR. You still have time to BAKE.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Remember their recent under-reaction?

Welcome to the over-reaction.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   

i honestly have no idea. you would think they would go for non perishables but nope, everytime. EVERY darn time. Its bread and milk

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   

That is on of the funny things to be at the grocery store and see a shopper with 3 gals of milk, 6 loaves of bread. A carton of pall malls and a snikers bar. With this terrified look on their face that they will not survive if they don't have it. I sure most folks have enough at home already but when the weathermen down here start harping doom and gloom. All bets are off gotta hurry to the local china mart and get my provisions for the coming apocalypse.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   
We get winter storm or arctic outflow warnings as well. They often cause power outages. It's a lot of work getting out to fix the lines and that's why it can be for days, even weeks.

I've learnt that when we get a warning to stock up before you're snowed in.

Prepare for how you will keep warm if there's no heat. If you are a family, you can snuggle up to each other, under big blankets using body heat.

Have candles, radio, batteries, flashlights

Keep things charged before the power goes out and you can't

Portable landline phones won't work in a power failure but the old fashioned phones do. (the ones that you stay by the outlet with)

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Jefferton
Remember their recent under-reaction?

Welcome to the over-reaction.

That was not under reaction, that was true panic with a healthy dose misinformation.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by violet

Portable landline phones won't work in a power failure but the old fashioned phones do. (the ones that you stay by the outlet with)

Yes the old corded phones work well, but that goes back to a lot of the infrastructure in the south. The phone lines hang on the pole about 2 feet under the power lines. Usually when one drops they all do.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I'm confused why the power has to go out? They know this in advance? Isn't the power grid in the summer pushed pretty hard with all the A/C and such? How much more power do heaters suck up?

This sounds like an infrastructure problem more than an icy road issue. What do icy roads have to do with power? Are the power lines and transformers etc made out of some different material than in colder states where it just can't take the cold? Maybe I'm just super naive to these things......well I admit I am naive to the south being in Colorado and all so please forgive me...

They had prolonged power issues in the NE as well recently (Penn, I think), and I know it gets plenty cold there all the time. Sometimes I wonder if they intentionally shut the power off during these times for some... unknown reason.

Edit - So it's downed trees and power lines caused by ice? This begs another question.. Do they not trim trees in Atlanta or anywhere east of Kansas? Valid question, this is a strange concept to me..
edit on 11-2-2014 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-2-2014 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I'm over here in Aiken, SC.......

Don't worry: I got the bread and milk!

hahahahahahaha.

Now I can have a lot of milk sandwiches when we loose power from all the down trees from the ice storm.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

Its not the electric flow that does it, its the ice build up on the lines and the limbs and branches that fall due to the same. The electric grid in Georgia is mainly above ground (and old).

ETA. They do trim the lines but its only to the right of way.
edit on 11-2-2014 by hillbilly4rent because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

Ice on power lines=heavy.

Ice on trees=heavy.

They *do* trim branches (which is a local county operation, and subject to discretion), but trees also fall, and entire branches can snap.

And the weight of ice on lines can bend and snap lines.

Ice is heavy. Not like snow.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join