It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Louisiana Public School Cramming Christianity Down Students’ Throats

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Whats scary about what parents think about their kids is that their idea of their kids doing good is based on performance rather then happiness.

Is that not an accurate depiction of the way many people think?

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Bone75
So what do you guys think about the Lane family adopting a Buddhist kid and sending him to a Christian school? Are they new to the area or lifelong residents? Seems everyone is so eager to huff and puff about the school that you're overlooking the actions of the parents.

Considering the fact that they've found him another school more to his liking, don't you think that's something they should have planned on from the get go?

Still does not excuse the treatment of the child by the teacher who ridiculed him in front of his class mates.

No ifs or buts, this teacher should be fired for what they did, it's paramount to discrimination and nothing less. They should never be allowed to teach again

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Well to be fair it IS a PARISH school - Sabine Parish School

A parish is a church territorial unit constituting a division of a diocese. A parish is under the pastoral care and clerical jurisdiction of a parish priest, who might be assisted by one or more curates, and who operates from a parish church. Historically, a parish often covered the same geographical area as a manor (whilst still being defined by the parish church)

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   

projectbane

Well to be fair it IS a PARISH school - Sabine Parish School

A parish is a church territorial unit constituting a division of a diocese. A parish is under the pastoral care and clerical jurisdiction of a parish priest, who might be assisted by one or more curates, and who operates from a parish church. Historically, a parish often covered the same geographical area as a manor (whilst still being defined by the parish church)

I don't see anything in your text that states a teacher can discriminate against a student for their personal believes.
edit on 30.1.2014 by flammadraco because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
This is disgusting, no school unless privately run, should be shoving that much religion in our childrens faces!

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by projectbane

Parish is just what we call our counties. Its not a private school. They may have some sort of strange charter that doesn't align with a traditional public school (because small schools are strange in this state), but they are a public school, nonetheless.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I see a lot of deflection and/or ignoring of the real issues here. There are two of them in particular and I'll point them out again.

The first is the fact that a PUBLIC school (located in a parish or not) funded by the state supposedly has Christian decoration all over the hallways and classrooms, something that should not be happening.

The second is the fact that one of the teachers in this school discriminated against one of the students who was Buddhist calling his beliefs "stupid" in front of the whole class. She even gives test questions that if not answered by a believer will be marked "wrong" and their test score will drop because of it.

If you think any of those things are okay, you need to rethink how you think education should work. Stop deflecting and bringing up other religions because it doesn't negate what's going on here AT ALL.

The fact is it is happening and should not be and no I do not love terrorists nor am I happy that 9/11 happened because I think this way. Its's called the Constitution, if me wanting to uphold the Constitution somehow means I love terrorists then I'd have to say that the majority of Americans are also terrorist lovers.

Stop with the non-sequiturs.
edit on 1/30/2014 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   

The third fact is that this is just at the ACLU accusation level, being taken to court. I'd worry more about what people were thinking if this was a case that was closed.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   

3NL1GHT3N3D1
I see a lot of deflection and/or ignoring of the real issues here.

And I see a bunch of liberals sensationalizing an incomplete story. This could be nothing more than a frivolous lawsuit for all you know. Don't you find it at least a little strange that a family in Louisiana adopted a Buddhist kid from Thailand without even considering where they were going to put him in school?

Sorry but I smell a scam.

edit on 30-1-2014 by Bone75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Bone75

And I see a bunch of liberals sensationalizing an incomplete story.

What?!!!

Oh my.

Your hatred for "liberals" is really something, Bone. You just don't get it, do you? You don't.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Bone75

How are the parents supposed to know the school had bible verses painted everywhere and the teachers used Christian based test questions? How are they supposed to know that certain teachers would end up calling their adopted child's beliefs stupid?

You seem to only be focusing on the school being Christian-centric, that's only part of the issue here. Would you suggest them NOT adopting their child? They shouldn't even have to worry about this happening in the first place because it's supposed to be illegal.

By the way, I'm not liberal, I barely even know what that means. All I know is that it's a label used to keep us divided and fighting amongst each other. I'm a human being just like anyone else, why does there have to be any extra labels being thrown around? So you can somehow feel superior or something? Sorry, but I don't buy into any political labels.

(post by Trender removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   

3NL1GHT3N3D1
reply to post by Bone75

How are the parents supposed to know the school had bible verses painted everywhere and the teachers used Christian based test questions?

You're kidding me right? So you think a couple deemed responsible enough to adopt a child isn't responsible enough to check out the school? Or is the government supposed to do that for us too now?

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Bone75

If I were a parent I would expect a public school to be better than to demean students based on their beliefs, but maybe I expect too much from our schools? That's the point of state funded schools isn't it? To treat all children equally?

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Bone75

What makes you think that just because a couple have adopted that they are good responsible parents?

I have news for you not all are and here is the proof. Larry and Carri Williams received the maximum prison sentences allowable under the law after being found guilty of beating and starving their adopted daughter Hana to death.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   

3NL1GHT3N3D1
reply to post by Bone75

If I were a parent I would expect a public school to be better than to demean students based on their beliefs, but maybe I expect too much from our schools? That's the point of state funded schools isn't it? To treat all children equally?

The arguments people present here never cease to amaze me. I am the father of 5 amazing little Christians. If I were to enroll one of them in a Buddhist school, not only would I be considered a bad parent, but not a single freaking one of you would jump to our defense if my kid claimed his teacher called his religion stupid... not one of you.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Bone75

3NL1GHT3N3D1
reply to post by Bone75

The arguments people present here never cease to amaze me. I am the father of 5 amazing little Christians. If I were to enroll one of them in a Buddhist school, not only would I be considered a bad parent, but not a single freaking one of you would jump to our defense if my kid claimed his teacher called his religion stupid... not one of you.

Well, for one a public school isn't supposed to be Christian or any other faith. Secondly please give an example of a child going to a Christian school and then claiming harassment due to his being an (insert faith here). Just as most would say public schools are not supposed to curry favor to one religion over another, most would agree if you go to Christian school you should expect a Christian curriculum. Again, I'd like to see an example of that happening and what the outcome is.

CJ

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   
This is a 'public' school, correct?

Does not public mean the school is open to all members of the public, and is funded by the government (not sure if state or federal as I'm not in the US)?

Is there not separation of the Church and State in the US?

Ergo, if the school is a public one, and funded by the government they should not teaching religious values, especially not espousing one religion (and assessing students on their knowledge of said religion), and denigrating those of other faiths.

Disgusting!

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Bone75

If this was a public school, I would be jumping on that public school for trying to push that religion on kids as well. Public school has no place pushing any religion.
edit on Thu, 30 Jan 2014 17:57:58 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   
nevermind
edit on 30-1-2014 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

new topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join