It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Louisiana Public School Cramming Christianity Down Students’ Throats

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by FriedBabelBroccoli

There is no difference between the two.....

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   

God should be kept out of schools period, whether it be teachings of his existence OR non-existence. Atheism being pushed on children in school is just as bad as religion being pushed on them. I've made my opinion on this clear within this thread.

The existence or non-existence of any deity should stay out of schools, if there are teachers teaching children that there is no such thing as God and it is part of their lesson plan then shame on them. People should be able to make up their own minds, not have one version forced on them no matter what version it is.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   

TKDRL

There is no difference between the two.....

Norman and Frank Dodd are not the same people. . . wth are you talking about?

-FBB

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   

I meant there is no difference between a school pushing a belief system of "insert whatever god here" and pushing the concept that no gods can exist lol. Both are wrong, for the same exact reasons.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   

TKDRL

I meant there is no difference between a school pushing a belief system of "insert whatever god here" and pushing the concept that no gods can exist lol. Both are wrong, for the same exact reasons.

Ditto

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by flammadraco

Okay, I can agree with that, now how about some evidence for the first half of the question?

flammadraco
We would all get along much better if religion was something kept in the privacy of your own home and places of worship.

Are you going to provide some evidence that restricting the expression of religious belief actually results in what you are claiming it does?

-FBB

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
My favorite part of the Bible is when God gives humans free will, then kills them with a flood because they didn't act the way he wanted.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Look at history for an example. Religions have been a driving force in our society for thousands of years and we havent gotten any better for it, even Christianity was behind the Inquisitions, Crusades, and Dark Ages. No religion except for Buddhism (if you can even consider it a religion) is exempt from causing wars and persecution. What makes you think it could get any worse without religion?
edit on 1/29/2014 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   

3NL1GHT3N3D1

Look at history for an example. Religions have been a driving force in our society for thousands of years and we havent gotten any better for it, even Christianity was behind the Inquisitions, Crusades, and Dark Ages. No religion except for Buddhism (if you can even consider it a religion) is exempt from causing wars and persecution. What makes you think it could get any worse without religion?

Khmer rouge . . . China's cultural revolution . . .FYI Buddhists are the leaders of one of the most oppressive regimes around today.

The dark ages is an incredibly weak example and I am shocked you try to blame it on a religion. So the collapse of the most powerful nation in the world who had been making enemies for hundreds of years is religion's fault? The plague that wiped a very large segment of the population off the map is the fault of religion? The historical enemies from the surrounding provinces of the fallen empire invading for hundreds of years is the fault of religion? Genghis Khan was the result of religion? Hardly any credible academia would dare approach the dark ages as being caused by any religion.

Again what evidence do you have that the restriction of religious beliefs would lead to a better situation?

All you are providing is rhetoric which has little to no support other than people's opinions.

-FBB
edit on 29-1-2014 by FriedBabelBroccoli because: 101

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   

The suppression of scientific advancement is what I was referring to. If you want to ignore the Dark Ages that's fine but you still have the Inquisitions and Crusades brought about by religion, Christianity in particular. Don't deflect.

What makes you think it would be any worse without religion? If there is no religion there is no god to kill and maim for, we would be living for now instead of what's after death.

I think a better question is why do you think religion has made things better? Like I said, we see the society that religion has had a huge influence on today.

I just googled khmer rouge and it says that the movement tried to destroy Buddhism, so how is that Buddhisms' fault exactly? And I'm sure a bunch of monks meditating most days is really "oppressive", lol.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Remember this?

Or this?

in 2006 children from Gulf Coast states serenaded First Lady Laura Bush with a song praising the President, Congress, and Federal Emergency Management Agency for their response to -- of all things -- Hurricane Katrina. The lyrics were as follow:

Our country's stood beside us People have sent us aid. Katrina could not stop us, our hopes will never fade. Congress, Bush and FEMA People across our land Together have come to rebuild us and we join them hand-in-hand!
www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Hahahaha Okay, so you are not going to provide any evidence and would rather pose some absurd question and change the goal which was originally in question.

Talking about scientific advancement my rear end. LoL.

None of you are going to provide proof of your claims are you?

-FBB
edit on 29-1-2014 by FriedBabelBroccoli because: 101

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   

There is anecdotal evidence to justify just about anything so it would be wise to demonstrate some discretion when making wide sweeping accusatory claims such as yours.

See my threads for more information.

Thanks for your attention.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   

3NL1GHT3N3D1
reply to post by IraColmillo

The state funds this public school so the fact that the school is clearly a Christian environment means that this school is violating the Constitution.

If they want to practice mandatory Christian prayer and have murals of Jesus and bible verses adorning their walls the state is obligated to stop funding them because that's what the first amendment states, that the state (who funds this school) should be separate from the church (which is what this school basically is).

Read the first amendment and you'll have your answer. If this were a private school funded by the parents it would be a different story, but it is a public school funded by the state. Very simple.

Here, I will help you out: Here is the direct text for the first amendment (since you didn't bother to quote [or apparently even read] it.)

First Amendment to the United States Constitution
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

So, once again, now that I've posted it for you, please quote the part that talks about what can or cannot be taught in a public school.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Do you really need help with that one?

respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof

Teaching a religion, any religion in a government funded school does both of those things. It promotes one religion, while belittling all the others.

You know damn well, every single person that is backing what this school did, would be up in arms if they were pushing any other religion, instead of their own. That right there should be enough for people to realize that it is wrong, but sadly, it doesn't seem to phase some people.

Put it this way. If I was teaching your kid, if you have one, niece, nephew, brother, sister, whatever if you don't. I started teaching that kin of yours the way of the Vedas, and telling your kin that what your family believe is wrong, and the Vedas was the only true way, and even went as far to start pushing Vedas material in tests, you would be perfectly fine with that right? Yeah, I highly doubt it.
edit on Wed, 29 Jan 2014 18:52:05 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   

The fact that the world has been predominantly religious throughout history coupled with the situation we are in today doesn't really speak well for religion does it? The fact that governments throughout history have had state religions and religions forced on its people doesn't really speak well for it either. The world we live in today has been influenced by religion more than anything else, to deny that is ignorance.

You're asking for proof of something that cannot possibly be proven because the world is already mostly religious and has been for some time, very convenient for your argument if you ask me. It's a no-lose situation for you which is probably why you're ignoring my points and saying the same thing over and over.

Suppression of scientific advancement is a form of persecution you know, so yes the Dark Ages most definitely were an era of persecution. Who led the way for that suppression/persecution of science? The church and its superstitions.

Now again, how has religion helped the situation we're in today? The answer is it hasn't.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   
That's a good point, I just read. If this was a Muslim or Hindu teacher talking about that religion in class, the duck hunters would be up in arms. What's the difference here? The core of the matter is that if you are supporting this school and this teacher...you are really saying that you want Christianity taught in public schools. It's not God and prayer and freedom of religion and suppression of free speech or any of that crap...It's that you want' Christianity taught in schools. I don't think that's right.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Hey, I live in this state, and went to Louisiana schools, in more than one parish, all public schools! While it is true that there were a few overtly religious teachers, we weren't in any way taught religion in any coursework that I can remember. In fact, they were phasing out the student's right to choose to pray publicly, by the time I was a Sr., some 15 years ago.

So, I looked at this a bit:

The school district has released a statement in response to the ACLU suit, notes KLSA. “The Sabine Parish School Board has only recently been made aware of the lawsuit filed by the ACLU,” the statement reads in part. “A lawsuit only represents one side’s allegations, and the board is disappointed that the ACLU chose to file suit without even contacting it regarding the facts.”

Which makes me want to wait until this thing goes to court and see what is unveiled.

Now, this one talks about an unveiling of a picture of Christ at an 8th grade graduation. Now, it doesn't tell us why, at all. It just is left out there, without any context, to add to the speculation. In a small enough school, you show off the talents of the student in question--and that's why the "suck it" hand sign from wrestling went above the locker of a dead girl my junior year--and was taken down as the students complained about it--and mine was on a 1K student campus.

The ACLU itself only has:

Status: Complaint Filed, Motion For Preliminary Injunction Filed, Complaints Also Filed With The DOJ And Department Of Education
as it's status, for all that it alleges.

Which is strange, because all I remember of school and religion was Christian teachers who were uncomfortable with religion coming up at all, although various student clubs were faith oriented and teacher sponsored.

But then, I live on the coast, outside of the major cities. May be a totally different culture to the north. Family's always told me to call everyone north of I 10 Northerners.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   

I find your view of the first amendment to be small in scope. So it's ok for one group (teachers/school) to ask for an answer on a test that must be "our lord" but if a student exercises his free speech and says, "no that's only what you were taught - the answer is..." they are wrong. So in your world free speech is the language of those who have control and dictate what is right and wrong.

By your standards a school that teaches Muslim beliefs in the US has every right to do it even if a student is a Christian and they fail because they don't believe in its teachings.

A school that promotes racial supremacy is just fine and dandy even if kids of color are wondering, what the H is this?

A school that teaches devil worship is fine even when kids of non-denominations are saying, you have to be kidding me.

A school that preaches small people are evil, just because they feel like exercising their "right of free speech".

Etc Etc Etc

Small view.

CJ

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Whats the damn difference?

They are already cramming so many lies and so much deception and thought control down the throats of our children who gives a #?

If you really care about your kids pull them out of the school system.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join