It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GRIEVING - my dog is irretrievably gone and I feel AWFUL

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by gwynnhwyfar

Sounds like her suffering is over now, she has done her cycle and she was 12! I believe that's a good age for a dog of that breed.

I had a puppy when I was a baby, I grew up with him, he was a massive golden Alsatian. I think every boy needs a dog as a companion, I always felt safe growing up. However, I obviously outlived him and it still is sad and I always wish I could have a dog as good as Paddy (his name) back again.

However, dwelling on his death was not a good way to remember him, I found just remembering the good and being thankful that he gave me a safe and fun childhood was a much better way of thinking about it.

I guess the wounds are still quite fresh but don't dwell on death, it will only achieve making you sad. Instead focus on the happy and just be thankful for your time, the world will keep on spinning and it was a happier world for the time she spent with you.

Mettā ~

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by fluff007

How sudden & unexpected, I am so sorry for your loss.
:HUGS: I do believe that Alfie was coming to say goodbye to you. I think that if we are open to it (and can remember our dreams) that all spirits do, animals and people both.

One time I had a relative who has passed come to visit, in that I was able to smell the scent of his aftershave, as if he were right here beside me. It was in my home, and no one else I know uses it, so I knew it was him. He was also one I had not been visited by in a dream, so I think they all find their way to let you know they are ok.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Thank you everybody. Morning now and I'm just going through the motions. I just can't believe she is gone and we let her go, it is going to be a while before this gets any easier.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 07:47 AM
link   

"No heaven can heaven be, if my dog's not there to welcome me"

(Anon).

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Oh I'm so sorry for your loss.
This really brought tears to my eyes to read.

Lots of hugs your way.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   

So sad for you and your family at the loss of your beloved dog.

My family have lost three beautiful and fun loving cats over the years and all I can say is they are never forgotten, but are still with us in our hearts. Now we have only one left, a little rag Doll called Clarissa who is as much a part of the family as any of us.

We understand how you feel and send our best to you.

Shiloh and family

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   

At this time, I can truly say I feel your pain. And I do, you see I just put my beloved french bulldog Buster Brown down last week.For him it was he went off his food,something he's never done in his 19 years on this planet.I fixed him food from my pantry,got him canned ID from the vet,got all the meds and gave them to him.He would eat for one day,then not the next.Finally after two days of not eating he got up and sat in the floor,he was shaking and rocking back on his haunches in pain.His eyes were squinting as the pain came and went,and then I knew. I could not let him suffer,he didn't deserve that after all those years of being such a kind gentle sweet natured dog.Always said he would have been the perfect little girls dog.You could put clothes, glasses, hats, etc on him and he would just sit there and wait to see what you wanted next. I'd wrap him in a blanket and carry him around like a baby playing and he would just lay in my arms.If I rocked him in a chair with him on his back he would fall to sleep.

And now he's gone.The house feels so empty,even the dog and cat feel it and are sad.I stare at the ortho bed in front of my fireplace where he layed before he went and cry.But I regret nothing.I gave him the supportive care he needed to see if he would recuperate and get back to eating.I gave him the time he needed but it was for nothing.It was his time,I saw the pain and it had to end.It is my place to suffer now and deal with it.As his mommy I knew when I took him that this day would come.And it would be the last loving act I could do for him.

The price for love is loss.We have to live with it.I know that one day when I go I'll get to see him again.He will be healthy and happy and his old self.If heaven is where you have the things and people you love then all my companions will be there for me.Bless you Buster Brown, and thank you for sharing your life with me.when the pain has gone down a bit I will honor your kindness with saving anothers life like I did yours.You came off the streets running for your life,then shared it with me.You made me a better person for it.I can do no less than to give another kind soul a chance at life when I can deal with the grief of losing you.

"Hugs" to you my friend,your pain is from doing the right thing.Remember the joy your baby brought to you.In time give that joy to another.There are so many animals out there waiting for someone to love them and care for them like you did to your baby.Feel the pain but don't let it consume you.Animals forgive,they let go of past hurts.We have to do the same.Bless you,may you find peace during this time of grief.
edit on 23-1-2014 by Dimithae because: clicked wrong button

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I'm so, so sorry hon
check your U2Us, I sent you a message

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Brought tears to my eyes...

So sorry for your loss.

Been there and it will take some time to work through.

Sending comfort, positive energy, love & light to you, family and your precious baby girl on the other side.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   

I am sorry to hear tat Gwynn.... I lost my best dog not long ago when she crept out of the bedroom in the middle of the night and got some chicken bones out of the trash can.... It is always sad to loose a faithful friend and companion... I hope you feel better and I would bet that karma sends you another bundle of joy to love...

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
So sorry for your loss. As someone who has to do the same thing, I can honestly say it was one of the hardest things I have had to do in my life.

My cat had severe renal failure a few years back. This cat was given to me by my grandparents who had both passed away before the cat became sick. So, I guess to me, my cat was the last link I had to them and to see her so sick and weak killed me.

It finally became too much one morning when she couldn't control her bodily functions and started having seizures. I took her to the vet and they cared for her most of the day. There were encouraging signs but by the time I got off work she was barely hanging on. I had to make the decision and the vet agreed that it was the best thing.

*seriously getting choked up while I am writing this*

I held her in my arms while the vet administered the dose. It took only about 30 seconds. Right before she passed she looked directly in my eyes. I watched as she took her last breath. I have never felt such heart-breaking agony in my life. I know that it was the right thing to do though. It was her time.

We had her cremated and still keep her ashes in a secure place.

Some people may think that's weird or creepy, I don't care. She was my buddy and was always next to me wherever I went.

I like to think I will see her again someday, who knows.

Take care, the pain will ease. Just remember the good times you had.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
My special buddy past away last july. Im not working right now and live alone. She had an awsome life with me, a short time of pain, and then she went to a place where her awsome life continues. Probably reflects back thinking ,I was so loved in that place, those humans sure treat us
exactly like God wanted them to. When my owner and best friend finally reaches this wonderful place where Im at now, they had better be ready for some Love , Im counting the years before their loving spirt reunites with me .

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by MoonBlossom

Yep I completely agree with you there...! I have been lucky enough to have many furry friends. Alas they only have short lives. And I would say nearly all I can remember I have had a strange dream about them or thought I have seen them. Usually happened when I was out on a trail ride..

I like the fact they come to say goodbye. It is a nice kind of closure in a way...

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   

It's one of the toughest decisions some of us have to make. We cry, but then we must remember we did our best for them, gave them a good home and were there for them in the end as we understood their suffering.

You did nothing selfish. You did the right thing by your friend.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   

So sorry for your loss.

Only time will help; meanwhile the thought to keep close is that you did right by her, in providing a loving home for her, loving her, caring for her, and finally, in letting her go. If she could, I know she'd thank you for the wonderful life you gave her, and for releasing her from her pain.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Right with you feeling your pain,

My dog used to go just about everywhere with me, including work.

I work in an all male macho environment

I rocked up one day without him and got some strange glances,then someone asked where Dylan was and I burst out crying,

Suffice to say I wasn't the only one in tears that day.

They touch us so deeply.

My sympathies

Cody

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Gwynn, I wish I could do more than cyber hugs and flags and stars, but here they are, along with my heartfelt sympathy for your loss. Losing a dog is a hard hurt, no two ways about it. Maybe it will help to think of her pain-free in doggy heaven bounding about in perfect health and playing contentedly until you arrive. I once read about dogs and the afterlife that they have a portal through which they can see their Earthly friends, but none of the dogs stick around there for very long because they're soon off playing.

May you find comfort.

~~ Grace

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Awww...

I lost my fuzzy girl when she was 16 in 2008, and still see her out of the corner of my eye, feel her curled up against my leg when sleeping or find myself avoiding the spots on the floor where she slept and I'm still calling other dogs her name... sigh.

Dogs are the most fantastic life forms I've encountered, outside of some humans. Losing them so soon almost makes living with them too painful... almost. Everyone thinks their dog is special and irreplaceable... and everyone is right.

I wish I could say it gets less painful... but the pain is most definitely worth it.

I probably kept my dog alive longer than I should have... cleaning the messes, helping her stand, guiding her around and not sleeping because she'd get panicked from age blindness and what was likely dementia ... we decided to wait until she didn't have an appetite or was in pain... and when that day came the shock of holding her while the vet gave her the shot ... well, it still hurts.

We cling to their lives for partly selfish reasons, perhaps, and death is simply a completion to this experience and a blessing when so infirm and pained. Remember that and the great times. I've started to consider a pound puppy lately, for the first time... no replacement, but dogs are really, really cool.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Gwynn,
Its hard to stay away from checking your post. I sure wish God let our special friends pass at the same times we did. Im a big 6'-6" man still greving from losing my little orange cat named "the queen buba". She was pure love. Man did I spoil her. I cant even stand to try to get a new furry friend . Its just not fair to give such beautiful things such a short life span.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Roscoe. that was the name of our first family dog. He was a red mini-doxy, and was a jerk. LOL, well, i mean that in the most loving way. because I sure did love Roscoe.

When he was 9, he lost his back. He was left dragging his legs behind him and unable to control himself. We worked with him for about 9 months. He cried out a lot at first, but it went away quickly, and in about 3 months he was walking again (on wobbly legs).

It was incredibly hard for us when about 9 months after the first incident, we awoke to hear him in the kitchen crying. It went on for 3 days, with him crying out in pain randomly throughout the day and night. We cleaned him up when he had accidents, and we loved him as best we could (not in our laps anymore...we had to lay down next to him in the floor). It was heartbreaking to me, my wife, and our 2 sons.

We still keep a nice wooden box with some of Roscoe's stuff, and a few pictures. When the oldest is home from college, he will pull it out and we will talk about Roscoe for awhile as a family. Laugh at his antics, and remember his iron tough will (that made him a jerk).

I know how you feel.
It can be tough to lose our babies.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join