It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Think Tank Forum

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Once again, this time, I propose a serious discussion on the merits of a Think Tank Forum.

A place where the best and the brightest among us can actually discuss solutions to all the problems we all debate on a day to day basis.

I propose a forum similar to The Bully Pulpit.

A forum that anyone can read, but only those invited can post.

I come to ATS daily. I enjoy it. On occasion I find a jewel of a post by someone who really knows what they are talking about.

Yet it often gets ignored or drowned out by the loud, opinionated, silly voices that visit here.

Not saying that every post made doesn't count or doesn't mean something, but I really feel that there are some brilliant folks here who don't get their voices heard.

We can all learn something, by a forum like this.

International issues can be debated and problems solved. It could be a goal post to those of us who someday may aspire to more serious discussion.

I humbly submit this proposal, and ask (to keep this thread open) that all contributions in this thread stay on topic and pertain to the matter at hand.
My irreverence got it closed once before. I believe in this idea and would like to keep the discussion open so we could all provide input.

Sincerely,

beez
edit on 7-1-2014 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

This is one of the best ideas I've seen here, and represents the kind of thoughtful activism I love. I'm literally proud to give it its first flag, and thanks for initiating this Beezzer.

At Mensa's founding its "Prime Directive" was to bring together the most intelligent and creative minds to "sit" at a round table to discuss and present solutions to the world's problems. It then devolved into a shuffleboard and dating club. If ATS can't outMensa Mensa it's not worth the three letters it's printed on.
edit on 7-1-2014 by Aleister because: minor spelling

edit on 7-1-2014 by Aleister because: minor word change

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I would very much like a think tank.
I have some ideas that I sure would love having a brainstorming team help me out on!
I'm all for it.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

I sometimes come up with a good idea.

A solution.

Yet I am silenced or ignored by those who wish to continue in a partisan battle.

It would be nice to see a forum where ideas, solutions, can be clearly discussed without the clutter. I'm not saying that the open forums are the wrong place to debate.

They are the perfect place to debate.

But from that, there should be a place where solutions can be created. Where everyone debating can actually see the fruits of their labours.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I think that this is a good idea as well. But everybody has a different outlook. Whether it be emotional or rational. How do you propose that we set those two differences aside? That would be the first solution to make this work.

Sorry, I don't mean to be a spoilsport.

edit on 7-1-2014 by TDawgRex because: Spelling

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   

beezzer

And what would be the criteria to be "invited"?

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   
( in an English accent)
By golly my good chum I do believe that is a top notch idea!
A forum to deal with today's pressing issues where people with wide-ranging knowledge on various topics can contribute meaningfully ideas towards solving today's global problems.
Good show!
jolly good!

Maybe there could be some sort of intelligence test that covers A wide variety of topics and issues to enter.

edit on 7-1-2014 by dashen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

So instead of everyone discussing these things over here you are proposing that we create a forum over there where only the "best and the brightest" are allowed to participate?

Who are these "best and brightest" by the way?

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   

TDawgRex
reply to post by beezzer

I think that this is a good idea as well. But everybody has a different outlook. Whether it be emotional or rational. How do you propose that we set those two differences aside? That would be the first solution to make this work.

Sorry, I don't mean to be a spoilsport.

edit on 7-1-2014 by TDawgRex because: Spelling

I'd leave that to those who are more neutral.

Partisan approaches carry their own biases. I'm guilty of that.

Sometimes, I just don't know. And sometimes, the solution may not be something that fits in my narrow world-view.

But that doesn't make the solution wrong, just because I disagree with it.

I think we could all learn something from this.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   

olaru12

beezzer

And what would be the criteria to be "invited"?

I would leave that decision to the owners and mods.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   

LiveForever8
reply to post by beezzer

So instead of everyone discussing these things over here you are proposing that we create a forum over there where only the "best and the brightest" are allowed to participate?

Who are these "best and brightest" by the way?

There are people who actually have solutions or ideas towards solutions.

We can debate the actual problems all day long.

But before we can have a solution, we must recognize that there is a problem. The actual problem/crisis can be debated openly. I would encourage the free exchange of ideas.

But a forum designed solely to solidify the solutions to the problems would be a forum I would make my home page.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

Just musing here.

Maybe very good mods can man the threads and rapidly discourage those who go off topic to such an extent that their posts, feuds, tantrums and non-response responses are red-carded quickly.

The end result of each discussion could be a consensus on wording. A solution to a problem which could be fine-tuned, like debating a bill in America's congress only without the partisan jabs and knock downs. It may take hundreds of posts to come to such a solution and written statement, but if the end result seems like it would actually solve the problem it could, as Beezzer said in the first thread (paraphrasing) become shared with other sites and with power players and decision makers in the real world. Some of those people may then see the value in the process and actually seek out ATS's assistance in solving the unsolvable. But yes, exclusion of members must be addressed before this moves forward, and maybe post count can come into play here, with a minimum of 1500 or something, unless major name guest solvers would like to become involved. And as Beezzer said above, owners and mods should decide, or, as occurred in the Research Forum, a standard for participation can be set and either met or not met.
edit on 7-1-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

This is Clevelands Mayor who sums it up pretty well.

Comedy gold.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

The more people that know of a solution, the better chance that it'll get enacted.

Just my humble opinion, my friend.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Thing is, the ATS boards are littered with solutions. Every day the good people here come up with solutions - grand, shiny solutions to all of the worlds ills, and yet nothing happens. What difference it would make if we got all of these solutions together in one place? They can burn separate or burn together, it's always the same outcome.

I mean, do we really need [b[another forum? Another platform where we can all go and sit like nodding dogs, tipping our hats and saying "here, here!"

It's all an illusion.

The sooner we realise that we have come as far as we can here the sooner we can really do something about it.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 08:55 PM
link   

The difference is, I think we can go farther.

Instead of reading through 30 pages of debate, we can go straight to the solution.

Have an issue with that solution?

Debate it. Please.

But a place where ideas can be distilled, where just the solutions can be brought forward, would (I think) be a very popular forum.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   
How about instead of being invited we put in a request for "Thinker" status?

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   
And I suppose you think you're among the best and the brightest!? J/K Beez. Seriously. J/K.

I think it's an idea that could work, actually. A forum that focuses on solutions, AFTER the problems have been thoroughly run through debate, and the (somewhat) dialectical process. Hmmmm. That could get interesting.

Someone mentioned Mensa. The problem with Mensa is, anyone with an above average IQ can be a member. They need more requirements than that. I wouldn't to belong to any organization that would have me as a member.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   

beezzer

The difference is, I think we can go farther.

Instead of reading through 30 pages of debate, we can go straight to the solution.

Have an issue with that solution?

Debate it. Please.

But a place where ideas can be distilled, where just the solutions can be brought forward, would (I think) be a very popular forum.

Ah, very interesting. And then the initial solution could be fine tuned. Possibilities can emerge organically.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Klassified
And I suppose you think you're among the best and the brightest!? J/K Beez. Seriously. J/K.

I think it's an idea that could work, actually. A forum that focuses on solutions, AFTER the problems have been thoroughly run through debate, and the (somewhat) dialectical process. Hmmmm. That could get interesting.

Someone mentioned Mensa. The problem with Mensa is, anyone with an above average IQ can be a member. They need more requirements than that. I wouldn't to belong to any organization that would have me as a member.

Ironically, I am suggesting a forum where I would not be a member of.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join