It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Think Tank Forum

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   
You are correct in that many good ideas are drowned out. Many times good ideas are being worked on only to have a group of naysayers come in and mess it all up or the whole thing gets derailed by two people introducing politics.

I like the idea. Where are the mods?

P

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   

olaru12

beezzer

A forum that anyone can read, but only those invited can post.

And what would be the criteria to be "invited"? [/quote

Yes, who decides makes the cut and what are the criteria. I believe you limit yourself by doing this. More times than we like to admit the least of us contribute the best ideas. To limit yourself in this way is counter productive and can quickly become destructive to the forum.

Really, it would just breed resentment from those not deemed worthy enough. In the end it would quickly drive them to other places that welcomed their input, however small.

This would be a huge mistake in my opinion. But hey, I am sure I would be one of the 99 percent who were on the outside looking in and resenting it lol. For those that have been here a long time it would be especially hurtful.

The Bot

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I appreciate what you are trying to do. I know I'm not the only one.

But if you want me to be completely honest I think we (the members) have been let down.

I have written a thread that I have had saved on my desktop for a week now and every time I log in to my laptop it stares me down...almost begging me to put it out of it's misery and post it on ATS. I haven't done so but now I think I will. It is relevant to the ideas we have been discussing here and will no doubt ruffle a few feathers.

It will probably be the last thread I ever make here.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   

preezy120
This is an interesting idea, however, the forum would require formal direction. The biggest issue is that "think tanks" are actually centers where public policy analyses are performed, and recommendations are proposed through descriptive analytical white papers. In order to participate, contributors should have a background in statistics and economics, as these are the fields that policy analysts are required to have mastered prior to being considered for employment at any think tank. Non-partisan think tanks do exist, but most are aligned politically so that policy recommendations can be supported by a representative political group that has funding to effect real change. Simply offering up ideas to address political and economic issues will not work. As with any scientific process, the policy recommendations are subject to peer review following thorough examination and analyses of the economic implications of instituting such changes.

That's not going to work at ATS. We're talking about good people from all walks of life on this site. That kind of stipulation to participate takes out 99% or more of the membership here, and also assumes those without a background in sadistics...er...statistics, and economics have nothing of value to add to a discussion regarding solutions for themselves, and their fellow humans.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

My friend, I make a habit of whacking hornets nests almost on a weekly basis.

Stirring a pot brings the meat to the top.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   
A meritorious suggestion. I can see many ways to make this work effectively.

Unfortunately, I also see where 'open' participation would be a challenge and where limiting participation could negatively affect morale.

I've actually wondered if such a forum already exists for the mods. I know I would have set aside a space for that if I was the site administrator.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by dlbott

Debate is healthy. Something I encourage.

But a think tank to solidify the ideas put forth needs to be focused.

I have no ambitions of being a part of this. I'm not wired that way.

But others are.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   
The only problem I see with a think tank forum is that it will be a threat to the people in power. They do not really want solutions to problems, they want the economy to look good and the paperwork to look like everything is going great. They want to hide the fact that money just disappears, not figure out how to deal with the problem.

I suppose it would be good to discuss these though but I wouldn't count on anyone in Congress seeing these and doing anything with them. I used to think that they might pay attention, but I was naive.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

Thank you.

Love it, hate it, it's an idea I've had for a while.

Solutions are goals we should all be striving for.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   

rickymouse
The only problem I see with a think tank forum is that it will be a threat to the people in power. They do not really want solutions to problems, they want the economy to look good and the paperwork to look like everything is going great. They want to hide the fact that money just disappears, not figure out how to deal with the problem.

I suppose it would be good to discuss these though but I wouldn't count on anyone in Congress seeing these and doing anything with them. I used to think that they might pay attention, but I was naive.

But this is an international forum. People in America might not listen but others might.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

Post it. Please!

I may even disagree with you. But at least you post in a civil manner where dialogue can be continued. What does it matter about S&F when a good conversation can be had?

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

There are some good minds here on ATS. I think that doing something like this would be good. Maybe someone will actually learn from it and it may help to slowly change perception in the right direction. We are all so conditioned it is hard to know if this will work.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

I agree with you that no one should be excluded from discussions, however, there is a difference between sharing valuable ideas and being able to quantitatively reinforce those ideas so that they are taken seriously by people who can help effect real change. If this idea is to have legs, there should be a designated ATS roundtable discussion time set aside for a single, SPECIFIC issue on a weekly basis, where everyone is able to contribute their thoughts, ideas and opinions on how to effect change. A website-wide vote for all contributors to the specific thread in question should be allowed to determine which policy recommendations should be considered for further review. The next step would be to have designated ATS policy analysts determine the viability of instituting those ideas, followed by actual surveys, studies, and analyses of the proposed ideas which could be written into white papers. ATS should then seriously consider hiring a lobbyist(s) to represent their ideas on a local, state and federal level to institute change. That's simply the way things work.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Beez my friend

As you are the OP I will put this to you

What would be different in what you are proposing and the "Research Forum" already in existence.. (Although not used much lately)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 10:19 PM
link   

olaru12

beezzer

A forum that anyone can read, but only those invited can post.

And what would be the criteria to be "invited"?

Similar criteria as other invite only forums would be my guess.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 10:20 PM
link   

semperfortis
Beez my friend

What would be different in what you are proposing and the "Research Forum" already in existence.. (Although not used much lately)

I would want to see this refined.

On occasion, my wee son and I pan for gold. We sift through pounds of silt to find a nugget or two. I'd want a place where the gold is showcased.

Not to say that the silt isn't important. It refines the gold, shapes and molds it.

Is the Research Forum exclusive?

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

It requires "Scholar" status yes

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Could the Research Forum be accommodating to a "Think Tank" project?

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 10:28 PM
link   

semperfortis
Beez my friend

This is a good point, Semper. I forgot about the research forum. Duh! I wish I had the time to really get involved in it. It would be a lot of fun, I think.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I think that may be doable

We can get together on Skype and see what we can work out if you like

Let me know when you have time

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join