It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Think Tank Forum

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Alright. I wanted to take a day or so to think about this proposal. First, I can understand where the Sheriff (I really dig the new hat Beez) is coming from and where the OP wants it to go.

Sometimes here on ATS, a heated debate happens that is triggered by a news piece that isn't always the most objective. Posters come in and try to bring in the logical and "meat" of the subject, only to be met with fierce responses that are deeply rooted to the emotional attachment of the news.

Where many posters get frustrated is when they attempt to have a discussion and determine what could be done better, only to still be met with yet still, an emotional attachment to the argument. In my opinion, that stifles debate and discussion on a given issue as it promotes a shouting match per say between the now deeply entrenched logical and emotional arguments being presented.

When I think of what the Sheriff is attempting, I think of a place where a news story may be referenced, but it is the idea, proposal or anything else that is being discussed. Not the elitist point of view; or the sobbing mother or; fake political outrage; or social angst. It is the real attempt to find the solution to the problem and not actually feed it.

That is how I would like to see such a forum, if it were to ever exist, be. How you regulate and moderate such a forum is the tougher question and I will need some time to think about how you include the widest range of ideas, but exclude those who just want points for an emotional or knee-jerk 'gotcha'.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

Thank you. I humbly appreciate your input.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by CitizenJack

I think when I talk with semperfortis this week, we can discuss the details.

I appreciate your input.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Hopefully tying this in with the research forum won't necessary mean it uses the same rules as that forum. I like the round table idea, but not the contest and winnings that were among some of the rules at Research. Your idea, imnho, should have its own set of rules and format, which is why a separate forum made sense. So keep the idea solid and it may actually change a few tiny corners of the world.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

It'd be a good thing if we tiny few, could make an impact.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

So you wish to create a forum, in a conspiracy website, in which the invited, learned few can discuss the woes of the world and come up with solutions without the distractions of those they deem unworthy? The rabble would, of course, be able to read the incredible posts, hopefully learning to be better and less irritating members of society.

Sounds like you want to create the US Congress.

Does no one see the humor in this thread? Freedom of speech is nice, unless it gets in the way of the "good" posts, then we need to put some restrictions on it. The so-called "Elites" are bad and we need a separate forum with restricted membership so we can discuss just how horrible the "Elites" are.

I agree! We do need a forum in which the "Elite" members of this website can have a place to discuss the evils of the "Elites" in peace!

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   

beezzer
reply to post by Aleister

It'd be a good thing if we tiny few, could make an impact.

And that is how the Bilderberg Group got started. A couple of dudes, just talking over a few pints in a local establishment, discussing society when one said....It'd be a good thing if we tiny few, could make an impact.

Now those poor tiny few are getting lambasted by conspiracy theorists and all they really wanted to do was make an impact.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Feltrick
Does no one see the humor in this thread? Freedom of speech is nice, unless it gets in the way of the "good" posts, then we need to put some restrictions on it. The so-called "Elites" are bad and we need a separate forum with restricted membership so we can discuss just how horrible the "Elites" are.

I agree! We do need a forum in which the "Elite" members of this website can have a place to discuss the evils of the "Elites" in peace!

Freedom of Speech does not exist here; it is a privilege as you are engaging in discussion at the Right of the owner of said site. Otherwise, why can't anyone join the various forums in which one must earn such; in which there are several.

The idea isn't to restrict anyone, but focus the discussion more acutely on problem/solutions (if I were to guess). Many times, a poster is spoken down because they do not have the same emotional attachment or same political belief or anything that could cause their ideas, their points of discussion, to become relegated to the realms of a thread.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

So I have to ask what inspired this?
Surely there was an aha moment or a tipping point of sorts? Its a great idea imho.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Feltrick
reply to post by beezzer

So you wish to create a forum, in a conspiracy website, in which the invited, learned few can discuss the woes of the world and come up with solutions without the distractions of those they deem unworthy? The rabble would, of course, be able to read the incredible posts, hopefully learning to be better and less irritating members of society.

Not at all. I want to refine the debate.

like you want to create the US Congress.

Ew.

Soon I will be proposing the structure/rules of the forum, gathering prospective members who wish to contribute. If I can't find members who wish to put aside their personal bias and sit down to simply focus on solutions of the issue at hand, then this thread will be an exercise in futility.

But I think we have some strong members who can contribute significantly.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   

CitizenJack
reply to post by beezzer

So I have to ask what inspired this?
Surely there was an aha moment or a tipping point of sorts? Its a great idea imho.

Frustration.

Simple frustration.

We discuss, debate the problems all day long. And every once in a while, someone comes up with a common sense solution. But then the discussion goes back to the fight instead of looking for the solution!

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

So the idea is not to restrict and yet it is restrictive. I don't understand how a poster can be shouted down on a website? If someone posts a rebuttal that you feel is BS and/or trollish, you ignore it and continue the discussion with another poster...right?

It's not like we're in a bar and someone is standing beside you yelling every time you try and make a point.

Just seems like a rather elitist thing to do on a website where the majority of the members frown on that kind of thing. That's my only point. If the "Tiny Few who wish to make an impact" feel they are not being heard, perhaps they should create their own website, password protect it and move forward.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Feltrick

I cannot tell you of the idea in its original form, as I am not the creator. I was just assuming on its intent. I was also speaking from experience. Many influences are actually at work here in this regard I believe. I believe the major catalyst though is pure frustration. Frustration when you are not arguing one side or the other, but trying to find a better solution to what is presented and being cast aside (by multiple posters), becomes monotonous in a way.

I am not saying anyone has special privileges or that one idea is better than the next. I believe a place for individuals who have ideas that do not want to be mired in political or emotional bias can try and find a better solution than what is being presented. For the large part, the threads of ATS or very well defined upon the lines of those one this side or that side. Anyone who tries to find the ground to pursue a better solution is cast aside by all parties.

That is my take on it at least.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I understand what you're after but it just sounds so very elitist. You are discounting a majority of this board to create a subgroup of the "best and the brightest." It smacks of arrogance.

The real question would be, who, besides your tiny few, will ever read your grand solutions? If this is about making a difference, not sure any difference will be made if there is no one willing to read.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Closing this for the time being to prevent drift

This is being worked on and any forward movement will be posted

THANK YOU ALL

Semper

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join