It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Light bulb ban set to take effect

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   

CranialSponge
How is the heat coming off of an incandescent considered "wasted" energy ?!

For those of us who live in a country that sees -35 C temps for 7 months out of the year and darkness from the hours of 5pm through to 6am, the heat coming off of incandescents is an added friggin' bonus. Thank you very much.

Well actually it is wasted energy as the hot air from the bulbs on the ceiling stays on the ceiling but I suppose there is some radiated heat. The whole point of the discouragement of incandescent lighting use is energy efficiency and what you might spend as a premium on LED or CFL lamps you get back in energy cost savings over the lifetime of the lamp. The downside is that the biggest sellers will be the cheapest lamps so reliability and longevity will be way below expectation as we've already seen with CFL lamps and I've learnt the hard way to buy better quality as it's cheaper in the long run.

LED lamps will get much cheaper as the sales volume increases and I already have some that cost less than $10 each, just as it was in the early days of CFLs.

It does seem hypocritical to be focusing so much attention on lighting for energy saving when orders of magnitude more energy is consumed in heating swimming pools & spa tubs, aircon, central heating etc etc but I guess you have to start somewhere. When I was a youngster there was no aircon etc and we dealt with cold weather by wearing warmer clothing inside the house, hot days were dealt with by opening windows and perhaps running a fan or 2. Rising energy prices will be the biggest incentive in getting people to be conscious of what their needs actually are.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   

CranialSponge
Meanwhile....

Warehouses, manufacturing plants, street lights, etc all around the world are using massive energy sucking metal hallide bulbs to light the way.

Exactly!

Advertising boards, office blocks with nobody in them, street lights when nobody is around (why can't they have LED bulbs with sensors), all wasting megawatts per year.

Then they have the nerve to tell us when you leave a room switch off the lights...don't leave the TV or freeview box in standby..blah blah all the while wasting untold amounts of energy powering things that nobody is using or needs.

The least they could do is turn the street lights off after say 1am or something, that would save millions on its own.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I guess Ill start using candle light like in the dark ages .. or using led lights ...

paint my walls glow in the dark colors LOL..

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

This drives me nuts!!

I am going to the Dollar General tomorrow and stocking up on these. I like them in the bedroom, not too bright and not too dull.

I have said before I don't like the coil or mercury ones, they don't fit my awesome vintage lamp shades/lamps. No thanks!

I put one of those coil ones in an older lamp I had and it broke! Freaked me out...

I like the old ones, they are so much cheaper! I can get 4 for about $2 at the Dollar General. Time to stock up on bulbs!

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   

beezzer

LeatherNLace
reply to post by beezzer

So forcing lower income people to pay 100x the amount they might have paid previously is a good thing?

I think 100x the amount is stretching it. Maybe 20x.

LED bulbs cost more, but they are likely to never burn out. So, sure, there is an additional cost up front, but they will see immediate returns on their electric bills and will see long-term benefits by the lack of necessity to ever buy bulbs again.

Just think of it...when you pass away, you can will your LED bulbs to your next of kin.

First off, inheritance tax. Second, an 80 dollar LED bulb could mean the difference between a weeks worth of groceries and light.

Just another government mandate that screws the people.

Hold on just a minute bunny. Maybe you haven’t been to home depot or lowes in a couple years or maybe you are embellishing the actual cost by 800% but I bought my 40 and 60 replacement bulbs LED at that for under $9 at those stores. They all run under 10 watts so maybe you should check your stores on the actual cost. You may calm down a bit after.

Lighting EVER 7W A19 LED Bulb, Samsung Chip LED, Daylight White, 60W Incandescent Bulb Replacement by Lighting EVER
was $35.50 $10.99
Order in the next 24 hours and get it by Tuesday, Dec 17.
More Buying Choices
$4.19 new

SunSun Lighting A19 LED Light Bulb, 6.5W (40W), 450lm Soft Warm White, (3000K) Dimmable by SunSun Lighting
$7.99
Order in the next 26 hours and get it by Tuesday, Dec 17.
More Buying Choices
$3.00 new

link

edit on 15-12-2013 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Pilgrum

Interestingly enough, our heating bill dropped by close to $30 over the winter season after we changed back to incandescents after doing the CFL thing in an attempt to be "greener" citizens of the world..

Also interestingly enough, I have incandescents in the house that haven't been changed in 3-4 years (purchased from our local dollar store)... and CFL bulbs that didn't last better than a year (and yes, they were the more expensive "higher quality" ones).

If incandescents are being phased out, count me as one of those people who'll be loading up one of our closets with them and ending up with 10-20 years worth of lighting for mere pennies.

The heat radiating onto to me while I sit next to my reading lamp perusing a good book without having to crank the heat when the windchill factor is -48 C outside is all the proof I need.
edit on 15-12-2013 by CranialSponge because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

I was told 80 bucks in this thread. I still use the old-fashioned bulbs. I've probably got enough for a dozen years.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

LED really is the way to go. I can’t tell the difference in the way the light looks but let’s face it if that mattered we wouldn’t be staring at computer screens.

First I replaced the 6 bulbs we use the most at the house then each month I took the savings I could see in the electric and replaced the rest. For me the saving was twofold. Living in Florida the AC is what runs most so the less heat generated by the bulbs reduced the need to cool the house. When it gets cool enough to actually run the heat I will still be saving but I have always been frugal anyways and have a space heater for the rooms I am actually in instead of heating the entire house. Its great knowing that I can run 6 bulbs at less power than it would have cost to run 1. Another benefit is the power company charges less for the first set kilowatt hours going over they charge more. I have seen some drastic savings.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   

I can see the value in what you're saying.

I guess I'm resistant to it all simply because it is being mandated, I don't have the choice.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   

LED really is the way to go.

*snip*

Living in Florida...

Living 5000 km farther away from the Arctic Circle is the key difference here.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I can see where you are coming from but in fairness they are mandating stores and manufacturers. You can run whatever you want if you have them. I look at it the same as when they mandated the auto industry to install seatbelts and other safety devices. I made the changeover on my own I haven’t paid attention to the light bulb battle. It just made good sense and I like saving money.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
It's not a boneheaded move. There's no reason in this day and age for incandescent light bulbs to exist anymore. Incandescent bulbs are quickly being replaced with LED bulbs.

You've never met anyone who's had parts of their irises removed in surgery, then. Both natural light and fluorescent cause the iris to expand ('go pin') regardless of the actual luminosity. This causes the muscles controlling the iris to constantly strain themselves, causing excruciating pain to the most sensitive nerve in your body, the optic nerve. If I want light in my house it's gotta come from an incandescent bulb or a candle, anything else would need to come with a prescription for pain killers.

edit: apparently there's no way to mulit-quote on here? o.O
edit on 15-12-2013 by CretumOrbis because: removed attempt at a multi-quote

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by CretumOrbis

Sounds like optometrists, opthamologists, doctors, pharmaceutical, and US insurance companies are going to looooove this lightbulb mandatory changeover.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Grimpachi
reply to post by beezzer

I can see where you are coming from but in fairness they are mandating stores and manufacturers. You can run whatever you want if you have them. I look at it the same as when they mandated the auto industry to install seatbelts and other safety devices. I made the changeover on my own I haven’t paid attention to the light bulb battle. It just made good sense and I like saving money.

But the cost for those safety devices weren't paid directly by the poor, who will be affected by this.

I hunt. I fish. I can't stand the idea of even more mercury into the ecosystem where I do eat what I catch or shoot.

LED's might be a great idea, but the execution of said idea stinks.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Well I don’t like the cfls they still generate heat. I had two and got rid of them. As far as cost the LEDs will more than pay themselves off leaving people with more money in their pocket. It shouldn’t be a big shock to anyone either unless every light in their house burns out within a short period of time so 99% of the people will replace as needed over time.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   

I live about 20 miles south of Canada.

I'll take the heat!

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

It gets cold here a couple months of the year nothing like the cold you are used too as far as heating goes a 10 or 15 dollar space heater from a dollar store will generate far more heat and do it efficiently compared to using light bulbs.

I lived up north for a while and when I was in the army I got frostbite a couple times so I really don’t like the cold. The places where I was frostbitten can’t take it anymore.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I did some reading on this some months ago. I also thought something in the OP didn’t sound right, but rather that incandescent bulbs are being changed, not disappearing. Here are some links to articles if anyone is interested:
Not all household incandescent light bulbs...
Facts about the incandescent light bulb law
No ban on incandescent light bulbs

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by hellnotes

You take a perfectly good thread filled with hate and angst towards the government and throw in common sense and practicality.

HOW DARE YOU!

Kidding.

Thanks for the links.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   
The corporate government wants to sell for profits inventions and gadgets hiding behind the new and improved better technology that is going to save the planet, people needs to get in their thick heads that those that makes profits for a living careless about earth, the environment or our safety or those of our children, is about selling to make money.

At the end nobody gets save but I know who will profit from banning old bulbs and is not going to be you or me and neither the littler children.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join