It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Light bulb ban set to take effect

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
and go into any goverment office anywhere on the planet and see how many bulbs are burning and in most of those offices if 1 bulb blows they replace all the bulbs in that room i kid you not .

when i worked at one job when a bulb went it cost $3000 to replace ???

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

They don't make the lower wattage traditional filament bulbs in the UK anymore, but in fairness to our Government (of the time) they gave out loads of the flouro ones for free to virtually every household.

Can't really argue with that.

But i do prefer the LED bulbs, horribly expensive at the moment @ £10.00 for a pack of 2 x 3W G10's...nice an bright though in my desk lamp and are supposed (pinch of salt) to last 25 years...if they do, 50 years worth of desk lamp bulbs for a tenner isn't too bad is it.

If they want to save energy, they should replace all street lighting (currently 250w HPS or mercury vapour) with high wattage LEDS...would save an arm and a leg.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I can't think of a better way for the government to help their citizens than to strip them of the right to own a 40w light-bulb. I remember another time when Bush and Obama cared so much about me. I was making good money playing internet poker because I'm not an idiot with my bankroll, but because some are idiots, they teamed up and protected me from making money online, for my own good. Kudos, politicans from both parties! One passes, one enforces, everyone's happy. The world truly is a better place now, because of these momentous decisions to protect and advance human civilization. The online poker ban took effect almost 3 years ago or more, and look at how much better the world is since then! It feels like a new planet, I tellsya. I can't wait to find out what's going to happen once the lightbulb-ban takes effect! I can feel the positive energy flowing through me right now, looking forward to the positive results of the lightbulb ban.

Anyone who wants government hands in everything, like an octopus preparing a 10 course meal, making decisions for us about what lightbulbs they're going to "allow" us to have, and what kind of health insurance they're going to FORCE us to purchase, for our own good, of course, well, I just think that's sad.

These aren't the founders we're talking about. Many of these people are idiots and shouldn't even be allowed to talk to anyone from the general public, and should be kept in wayward homes for the rich but still power hungry, where they can dodder away the rest of their lives thinking of how they can intrude into mine.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

so...unlike the title suggests there isnt an actual ban on lightbulbs. they are just going to stop making the awefully inefficient 40/60 watt bulbs?

sorry if this is ignorant but where is the problem here? its true only a tiny percentage of the energy used is converted to light. most of it is heat...they are extremely wasteful.

If they are to be replaced with more efficient lighting then whats wrong with that?

come on guys i hate the suits upstairs as much as the rest of you but not everything is a tragic conspiracy against our freedoms.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Gozer

So you would be happy to see the world use up all its resources in the next few decades just cause you want the freedom to own a 60 watt light bulb?

No wonder the goverments doing this, people are too stupid to see the long term consequnces of wasting energy.

This is comeing from me as awell. I hate hippies, I am very skpetical of global warming, And 100% pro nuclear engery and a full blooded meat eater. But even I recognise the worlds population is growing fast and our resources growing thinner!
edit on 15-12-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
lamp
connected
sequentially through diode
whereby the lamp illuminates
floor heater. In the diagram example
embedding diode
room gang
switch, but such a scheme
use in room
conditions is not recommended
because the lamp included
little flickers through the diode, and
it adversely affects
eyes. Use this
method is better in stairwells
platforms, bulbs while
can burn 24 hours a day and
work up to several
years.
Lamp power must not
exceed 100 watts.
If you want to reduce
brightness of the lamp in the room, then
instead of the diode can be
use of non-polar
capacitor business
Voltage 300V. and a capacitance
about 1mF. Capacity
condenser tubes for different
and to varying degrees
light needed
pick modelmen.ru...

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Silicis n Volvo

They're involved in my lightbulbs, my poker, and now my healthcare. Is there anything they CAN'T get involved with? If a lightbulb is ineffiecient, usually, the market will bear that out. Perhaps these "inefficient" lightbulbs are also much less expensive than what will remain for us serfs to choose from, thanks to the benevolence of our kind government overlords who care so much for efficiency. Why, just look at any government agency. Efficent as can be.

Bear in mind though, I do get your point.

If it was only the lightbulbs...

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Silicis n Volvo

sorry if this is ignorant but where is the problem here? its true only a tiny percentage of the energy used is converted to light. most of it is heat...they are extremely wasteful.

I agree that it's wasteful that almost 90% of the juice used to run the old bulbs is wasted as heat, but here in the UK there's 1000's of pensioners who rely on that wasted heat to stay alive during the Winter months, seeing as they can't afford the extortionate energy costs to turn the flippin' heating on.

(sarcasm..sort of)

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
The average flat screen tv uses anywhere from 200 to 400 watts/hour based on size.

Yet we're banning bulbs and replacing them with higher costing more dangerous bulbs.

Then again, many would probably prefer to live in the dark than have their tv taken away.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by mangust69

...err..yeah, or just use a dimmer switch.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Silicis n Volvo
reply to post by beezzer

so...unlike the title suggests there isnt an actual ban on lightbulbs. they are just going to stop making the awefully inefficient 40/60 watt bulbs?

If they are to be replaced with more efficient lighting then whats wrong with that?

come on guys i hate the suits upstairs as much as the rest of you but not everything is a tragic conspiracy against our freedoms.

Where you could buy a 60W bulb for a dollar, you now have to spend much more than that because the government has told us that it is not efficient enough.

Government says so.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   

beezzer

Then again, many would probably prefer to live in the dark than have their tv taken away.

You just awnersed the why.

They cant save energy with the TV's so they are looking at the light bulbs instead.

They choose the less painfull option.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   

beezzer
The average flat screen tv uses anywhere from 200 to 400 watts/hour based on size.

Yet we're banning bulbs and replacing them with higher costing more dangerous bulbs.

Yeah, but light bulbs can't brainwash you into believing corporate or governmental crap...TV's can.

If the average propaganda box consumed 2kWh, they'd still be pushing them like there's no tomorrow

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   

crazyewok

beezzer

You just awnersed the why.

They cant save energy with the TV's so they are looking at the light bulbs instead.

They choose the less painfull option.

We're doomed, you realize that, don't you?

Starve people so they can have poisonous expensive bulbs.

Let 'em keep their TV's, fridges, iPads, docking stations, ovens, fans, air conditioners, those robot vacuums, power tools.

But not light bulbs.

Lord no.

Screw poor people over, for the most common, cheapest household item in the world.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   

beezzer

beezzer i get all my lights free from a goverment office

they even put out free toilet rolls big ones in supermarket toilets for me to take home for free .

do you think bunny that i pay for electricity
pay nothing expect everything
edit on 15/12/13 by geobro because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Banned light bulbs
Banned fire arms
Banned freedom of speech when the Potus is around
Banned from not having health insurance or minim coverage
Banned from using the word Christmas in schools
Banned from having big soda drinks in New York
Banned from making large purchase with cash without the Patriot Act BS
Banned from Hunting Big foot, need a license now
Banned from protecting yourself and family (Lawyers)
Banned from making a decent earning (taxes)

What other things have they (Government) banned us from having or doing.

Makes me sick.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

You are taking a slippery slope fallacy and turning it into a strawman.

No one wants world resources to run out. So asserting that is nothing short of dishonest and a warping of the words...hence the strawman.

There is limitless resource. Instead of strapping the citizens with expensive bulbs that contain mercury, why not fund a Manhattan Project sized search for a solution?

Oh yea....the petro dollar. So instead we are browbeaten into bending over.

This has nothing to do with the planet, or tomorrow. It has everything to do with the petrodollar. Lightbulbs are a stupid "solution". A real "solution" is energy creation. Why are we spending money on lightbulbs and not real solutions? The petro dollar.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

You do realize that you can purchase LED bulbs that do not contain hazardous substances. Honestly, I think the mercury bulbs should be banned too.

Meanwhile, another choice has been made on my behalf.

That seems to be the only way to make irresponsible people act responsibly. It's sad, but true.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

So what th oether option? We just waste energy until there is none?

Something has to give to garentee the future energy security.

Yes there alot of other things that waste more energy but unlike light bulbs there isnt a more efficiant version yet. Light bulbs are the only thing thatw could give a slight enegry reduction without banning something complety.

You need to look long term here.

And I hate to say it but its going to get harder as the population increases and resources decrease

Unless we go into space.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
DP
edit on 15-12-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join