It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Light bulb ban set to take effect

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Light bulb manufacturers will cease making traditional 40 and 60-watt light bulbs -- the most popular in the country -- at the start of 2014.

I tried to blame Obama for this (laughing) but this was signed by Bush in 2007.

The rules were signed into law by President George W. Bush in 2007. They are designed to address gross inefficiencies with old light bulbs -- only 10% of the energy they use is converted into light, according to the Environmental Protection Agency, which has a handy fact sheet about the changes. The rest is wasted as heat.

So relax, progressives. I won't be blaming Obama for this bone-head move.

But the rules have drawn fire from a number of circles -- mainly conservatives and libertarians who are unhappy about the government telling people what light bulbs they can use. They argue that if the new ones really are so good, people will buy them on their own without being forced to do so.

Kinda like Obamacare. Government knows best. (rolling eyes)

The Republican-controlled House first tried to overturn the law. When that failed, Congress prevented the Department of Energy from spending money to enforce the new rules.

But light bulb makers still have no plans to make the old bulbs after the first of the year, noting the law is still the law and that state attorneys general have the power to enforce it.

"We haven't seen any problems with respect to compliance," said Kyle Pitsor, vice president for government relations at the National Electrical Manufacturers Association, which represents 95% of all light bulb makers in the United States.

So stock up! Or just wait and spend more for mercury-filled bulbs that will mock you as you sleep and then probably kill you.

Linky-poo

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

If you're in the U.S. stock up for sure, even if you don't need them. In a few years they can be sold or bartered for a nice price.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
My local dollar store cares not for the ban.....the been selling 100 watt bulbs forever.

To hell with bulbs filled with mercury vapor. Ill keep my vacuum tube resistor type bulbs

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Aleister
reply to post by beezzer

If you're in the U.S. stock up for sure, even if you don't need them. In a few years they can be sold or bartered for a nice price.

Me and the missus have been doing this for a while. Our closet looks like a bulb outlet shop!

But you are absolutely correct.

Stock up while supplies last!

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   

shaneslaughta
My local dollar store cares not for the ban.....the been selling 100 watt bulbs forever.

To hell with bulbs filled with mercury vapor. Ill keep my vacuum tube resistor type bulbs

The ban goes into effect for the 40W and 60W bulbs, specifically.

But as of now, I refuse to buy the mercury-filled ones.

What I may end up doing is buying the LED types when I absolutely have to.

But any way you cut it, this is yet another price burden on those who will feel it the most!

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Yep, 100 and 75 watt bulb ban started last year. walmart wont stock any over 60 watt.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

We already have that "we will tell what light bulbs you can use" law in force where I live, so while this thread is in USPM, you can add "EUPM" to that as well. And yes, I bought up a load of the "traditional" ones before they disappeared off the shelves. No law against doing that!

Okay, I get thier basic premise, though I don't like their draconian tactics. The newer ones use less energy for the light created. But besides being told I no longer have the right to buy something that's been on the market for over a hundred years, I just don't like the kind of light they give. And I don't like the fact that they cost a heck of a lot more (the up-front cost, I mean) and contain some harmful chemicals that makes them more difficult and costly to safely recycle.

I actually prefer LEDs, and when they make them reasonably accessible from an up-front cost perspective, I'll likely go over to them.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   
The LED bulbs are great. But the price is severely inflated!

I also suspect that the new LED bulbs are made with planned obselescence, as their lifespan (if made properly) should equal ours. A kick in the wallets of bulb manufacturers, who are losing a steady income off the incandescent variety.

So, make a killing off them when they get introduced with a promised 25-year lifespan, and only reduce the price after all the other options leave the market. Therefore make them to last about 3-5 years max.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   
We had the ban here a while ago and the sale of these bulbs went up by hundreds of a percent...I must admit though now we have changed all ours in our house we have gotten used to them and we are saving money.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

You need to research our post first.....this is a lie. The new regulations give guidelines to make incandescent bulbs more efficient, but their is NO BAN. Google it yourself as I'm not going to do the work for you. This was posted many times in the last few weeks on Facebook and got shot down quick!

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   

beezzer
this bone-head move.

It's not a boneheaded move. There's no reason in this day and age for incandescent light bulbs to exist anymore. Incandescent bulbs are quickly being replaced with LED bulbs.

You don't need the mercury-filled bulbs either. Those bulbs will be phased out over the next several years as well.

Sure, LED bulbs are more expensive, but you get that money back and then some in energy savings and longevity of the bulbs.

Embrace LED bulb technology, and throw away the inefficient, ancient incandescent bulbs.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
The problem with the new bulb technology is, as mentioned earlier, they are full of mercury vapor. This is very hazardous if someone accidently drops and breaks one. Also, this new bulb technology emits 100 times more EMF than the traditional bulbs.
edit on 15-12-2013 by eManym because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I have tried several brands of cfl. I cant find any that last as long as standard bulbs.

From new defects out of box, to bulbs burning out in days. I have even broken the glass in my face just unscrewing one of them.

Its a massive sterility conspiracy.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   

JustMike
reply to post by beezzer

We already have that "we will tell what light bulbs you can use" law in force where I live, so while this thread is in USPM, you can add "EUPM" to that as well. And yes, I bought up a load of the "traditional" ones before they disappeared off the shelves. No law against doing that!

Yeah, wasn't sure where to put this, I thought the "madness" apt.

Okay, I get thier basic premise, though I don't like their draconian tactics. The newer ones use less energy for the light created. But besides being told I no longer have the right to buy something that's been on the market for over a hundred years, I just don't like the kind of light they give. And I don't like the fact that they cost a heck of a lot more (the up-front cost, I mean) and contain some harmful chemicals that makes them more difficult and costly to safely recycle.

Basically, the only "plus" is that they use less energy. The negatives far outweigh the benefits, in my humble.

I actually prefer LEDs, and when they make them reasonably accessible from an up-front cost perspective, I'll likely go over to them.

I can't see many households spending that much on bulbs. It's crazy!

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   

eManym
The problem with the new bulb technology is, as mentioned earlier, they are full of mercury vapor. This is very hazardous if someone accidently drops and breaks one. Also, this new bulb technology emits 100 times more EMF than the traditional bulbs.
edit on 15-12-2013 by eManym because: (no reason given)

As seen from my spectrum analyzer. Just fill up the airwaves with more QRM....SMH

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   

LaElvis
reply to post by beezzer

You need to research our post first.....this is a lie. The new regulations give guidelines to make incandescent bulbs more efficient, but their is NO BAN. Google it yourself as I'm not going to do the work for you. This was posted many times in the last few weeks on Facebook and got shot down quick!

ATS rules, I had to use the title that CNN wrote it as.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   

_BoneZ_

beezzer
this bone-head move.

It's not a boneheaded move. There's no reason in this day and age for incandescent light bulbs to exist anymore. Incandescent bulbs are quickly being replaced with LED bulbs.

You don't need the mercury-filled bulbs either. Those bulbs will be phased out over the next several years as well.

Sure, LED bulbs are more expensive, but you get that money back and then some in energy savings and longevity of the bulbs.

Embrace LED bulb technology, and throw away the inefficient, ancient incandescent bulbs.

You can afford it, I can afford it.

But try selling 25 dollar "bulbs" to people who don't have the money to eat!

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   

beezzer

You can afford it, I can afford it.

But try selling 25 dollar "bulbs" to people who don't have the money to eat!

We need a nailed it emot. LED here is way over 25 a bulb. pushing 80 a bulb....no thanks
edit on 12/15/2013 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Then why post an article that is an OBVIOUS LIE??? Yes we are over regulated, but lying doesn't help the situation. They are retooling the plants to make more energy efficient incandescent and more affordable LED's. Crying wolf is never justified.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by shaneslaughta

80?????

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join