It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poor animals

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I'm tired of seeing people glorifying the killing of animals. Almost every day I see pictures posted of people "proud" of their offspring or husbands/wives etc for their kill(s), complete with an image of a dead dear, eyes still open, blood drenched at the foot of a smiling killer. It hurts and sickens me. I feel so sorry for the animals. No one cares that these animals are desperate, seeking food for their own. No one sees "life" in these beautiful animals, they just see a 6 pointer to put on their walls. The camo clothing complete with orange hats has become fashion as well. You see mothers with kids wearing this gear out shopping. Kids are having this "killer" instinct bred into them from birth, that its OK to kill animals. Wouldn't it be fun if the tables were turned and these hunters became the hunted. In the middle of the forest, no clothes, no weapons nothing. Just trying to survive while being hunted by animals. Not nice. While i'm ranting, I also hate seeing those trucks packed with pigs and chickens etc. I saw a truck packed, and I mean packed with chickens. They were so packed in, I thought they were dead, no room for movement, legs sticking out everywhere. I felt so sad for them. I sometimes think i'm alone in feeling sorry for these animals, why doesn't anyone see it how I do? They are animals trying to survive just like us. Rant over with.

Peace

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by satellite1

You do not want to see how chicken nuggets are made, that made me physically sick. Production lines covered in baby chicks getting throw about, clamped, injected and poured (live) into a grinder... Heart wrenching... I don't know how those people could do that job..

I would post the video, but it's nasty, think it might get removed.
edit on 8-12-2013 by iRoyalty because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   

While I agree that the needless death of various animals seems unwarranted and immoral, you also have to consider the fact that these murdered deer had the benefit of living a free lifestyle until their deaths. At least the deer were raised by their mothers, had a chance to mate with the mate of their choice, and live their lives free to make their own decisions. Unlike the truck of chickens who were bred in captivity and have lives building up to their untimely death. I would feel better eating the meat from that hunted and slaughtered deer than those of the poor mistreated chickens.

And as human animals, who have evolved to eat meat, the hunter is keeping true to his own animistic instincts than those who go into the store and purchase their meals. That's just my two cents.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Silenceisalie

Still, they were killed for sport. Killing should not be included in any sport.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Its not the eating part i'm ranting about, each to their own. Its the fact that not many people seem to see life. Kids are having it instilled not to see a beautiful creature going about its life but to see a moving target. People see those animals on their way to slaughter in the trucks and not bat an eyelid. Why? I see animals as having a heart and soul to love and survive, they are beings just like us. I just can't see much of that in others. Also, shouldn't we have evolved away from eating meat? I mean, we really don't need to hunt or kill animals, do we?

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by iRoyalty

It is the law that makes it a sport, if you ask me. You can only hunt deer with fire arms for 2 weeks out of the year in the state I live in. Then, you are only allowed to kill buck with 4 points or more. I know many hunters who would do so only for the meat, and do not care much for the points on the head. I also know many hunters who would be happy to do so only as they need meat and with out the point restriction.

If you limit the amount anyone can do something (especially when it is for an overpopulated species that is now getting diseased due to it's population) you turn it into a game.

Personally, I feel that the total disconnect of humanity to our animistic nature boarders on insanity.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   
i was brought up in a hunting /fishing family and it was normal to shoot anything that moved my summers were spent walking beside a combine harvester with a shotgun shooting rabbits by the hundred then having to skin and gut them .

i must have killed thousands of animals by the time i was 16 i was a ruthless bxxxx i had to be with gamekeepers in the family when the working dogs had pups they were just tossed into a bin of water and when a dog was past it it got shot .

at 16 i took my last shot at a animal and have never hurt one since i could not even if i tried

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   

I believe we do need to eat meat, especially as children to help develop brain function. I know of a man who refused to eat meat as a toddler and child. His parents heeded his wishes, because they felt that it was wrong to force children to eat something they did not necessarily "need" and instead gave him protein through beans, nuts, and other like foods that did not involve the mistreatment of animals. This man now has several severe learning disabilities that could of been avoided if they just sat him down and forced him to eat meat.

While adults do not need nearly as much protein as children, we do still need it. While we can get it via other options, the most expedient way to do so, is through the meat of other animals.

On another topic related but not necessarily about this, is that Americans on whole (and other 1st world countries, I would wager) eat far more meat than is necessary for our own health. 3 to 4 servings of meat (and a serving is 2-3 ounces or the size of a deck of cards) is all that is required for our nutritional needs. Most meals consist of 6-8 ounces of protein, which practically contains our entire dietary requirements in one meal. Considering most have 2 to 3 meals a day, that is a great deal of meat.

If we stuck to just what we need, and not what we are used to, the death of many animals would be unnecessary as we would not be consuming them at the rate we currently are.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   

iRoyalty

Still, they were killed for sport. Killing should not be included in any sport.

What makes you think they were killed for sport? Because pictures were taken or the head being mounted? These things in no way means that it was killed for sport. Maybe the OP would like it better for the animals to overpopulate then die due to starvation or disease. Hunting is needed to keep the numbers low enough so they can survive.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Hunted all of my life.
Never took a picture of myself with an animal I killed. Never had anything made into a trophy.
Tanned hides and sold antlers for knife handles. Used the whole animal for food and what I didn't eat was ground up for dog food.

It's a natural activity that people have been doing since man first put a sharp point on a stick.

I was always happy I could put meat on the table. It meant I was providing for the family. As far as enjoying killing, that's not something I ever understood.

Yes, people have the wrong motivation for these things sometimes but that's a fact in all facets of life.

Just don't confuse hunting with killing. There are plenty of people who still value nature and animals as something we are connected to and participate in.
As long as the animal goes for food, it's the best we can expect sometimes.

I myself never had an issue with the pictures and pride. Taking an animal was providing for the family and a boys first deer was a rite of passage. It taught him where food came from and what the price was for taking life. The first time a kid cleans an animal he puts his hands into the life blood of another creature. He understands at that point that blood and death are real. Not just a vague concept.

Now days, not so much.
Lots of cool gadgets and bragging rights.
Camouflage gun, clothes, thermos, vehicle, phone........
Bang, bang, bang and let someone else "process the meat."
It misses the whole point.

We are devolving.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   

I'm tired of seeing people glorifying the killing of animals. Almost every day I see pictures posted of people "proud" of their offspring or husbands/wives etc for their kill(s), complete with an image of a dead dear, eyes still open, blood drenched at the foot of a smiling killer.

Ah, so you think hunting is a criminal sport that only sociopaths and mean spirited people take part in.

I love to deer/duck/rabbit hunt. My whole family does. It's only a bad thing to kill an animal if you don't eat it. If you kill it just to kill it then I would agree with your rant.

No one cares that these animals are desperate, seeking food for their own. No one sees "life" in these beautiful animals, they just see a 6 pointer to put on their walls.

Not at all. Sitting in a deer stand puts people in a meditative state. You are sitting in one spot in the woods for hours on end. I have watched squirrels playing, turkeys chasing each other, all manner of wildlife I have observed from my deer stand and I can only be in awe of the wonder and harmony of nature.

Turns out rednecks have been practicing eastern meditation techniques without even realizing it.

Kids are having this "killer" instinct bred into them from birth, that its OK to kill animals.

It is OK as long as the animal does not go to waste. Hunting animals and killing people are two totally different things that you seem to have connected in your head somehow.

Wouldn't it be fun if the tables were turned and these hunters became the hunted. In the middle of the forest, no clothes, no weapons nothing. Just trying to survive while being hunted by animals.

Wow, apparently you have never hunted before because you have no idea what you're talking about.

Their natural state is no clothes, no weapons.

Hunting is one of the most challenging things you can do. Animals are very smart, and you are hunting them in THEIR habitat. They know where to go to hide, to sleep, to eat, to mate. You have to learn about them and study them and think like one. And even then there is no guarantee. I've spent countless hours sitting in my deer stand to see absolutely nothing pass by. That's what makes it all the more exciting when you do bag one.

And let's not forget something else....they are pests!!!!

I don't know where you live, but I live in rural Louisiana. Deer are plentiful here. If they abolished hunting season, the deer would overrun this state within a few years since they have no other natural predators out there.

They eat peoples gardens, fruit trees, they jump out in front of cars and are a very dumb animal when it comes to crossing a highway. I've seen deer jump out of the way of a car only to jump right back in its path.

So please tell me how buying some pre packaged steroid/antibiotic/vaccine filled grocery store meat is better for you than hunting and killing and eating some very lean very healthy deer meat?

Or are you saying we should all just be vegans?

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
mmmmm Venison......

Bambi Burgers for me tonight

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

Now days, not so much.
Lots of cool gadgets and bragging rights.
Camouflage gun, clothes, thermos, vehicle, phone........
Bang, bang, bang and let someone else "process the meat."
It misses the whole point.

We are devolving.

I could not agree with you more. I worked at a deer processing place for a while last year. I would sometimes take a ham or something to get some sausage made with it becasue I don't have a grinder....

Holy cow I had no idea just how many people shoot a deer and don't even skin and dress it themselves.

They'd much rather pay somebody 100 bucks to not even fool with it.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Silenceisalie

I believe we do need to eat meat, especially as children to help develop brain function. I know of a man who refused to eat meat as a toddler and child. His parents heeded his wishes, because they felt that it was wrong to force children to eat something they did not necessarily "need" and instead gave him protein through beans, nuts, and other like foods that did not involve the mistreatment of animals. This man now has several severe learning disabilities that could of been avoided if they just sat him down and forced him to eat meat.

While adults do not need nearly as much protein as children, we do still need it. While we can get it via other options, the most expedient way to do so, is through the meat of other animals.

On another topic related but not necessarily about this, is that Americans on whole (and other 1st world countries, I would wager) eat far more meat than is necessary for our own health. 3 to 4 servings of meat (and a serving is 2-3 ounces or the size of a deck of cards) is all that is required for our nutritional needs. Most meals consist of 6-8 ounces of protein, which practically contains our entire dietary requirements in one meal. Considering most have 2 to 3 meals a day, that is a great deal of meat.

If we stuck to just what we need, and not what we are used to, the death of many animals would be unnecessary as we would not be consuming them at the rate we currently are.

That is totally silly! My sisters children were vegetarian from birth and still are at age 30's, one is a lawyer and one works for the Air resources Board for the Gov.

My children were also raised vegetarian they were both in the gifted program all the way through school. One now is a pilot for the Army and one a business owner and long distance runner, they all have superb health and could pass for 10 years younger...where do people get these dumb ideas about having to eat animals...we eat them to get what they ate out of them, vegetation! People need to wake up and learn some truth instead of talking what they are told by the meat industries through their mouth piece in the government.
edit on 8-12-2013 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Yes, the poor animals.

The poor mice we poison...the poor harmless snakes we stomp for no reason.

How about insects?....the poor ants we kill by the billions, the poor
harmless spider we crush with malice...the bugs on our windshields...

How about we poor humans...we poor hypocritical humans

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I actually have fantasies about an alien race coming to earth and taking all sport hunters to some intergalatic recreational hunting ground and doing as you describe in the op. Disarming them and then hunting them for fun.

I think these people need to experience the fear and sheer terror of being chased down by a superior intelligence with incomprehensible and unescapable weapons.

*sigh* I guess we can dream

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I will kill an animal to eat. I give thanks for the life that was taken so I can live. I do not post pictures of my deer. I do not try to waste the meat. I butcher it myself so I get the most of it, using even the soupbones from it.

Treating animals well while they live is important. I have seen some of the slaughterhouse yards. Those cows are not treated well, and neither are the chickens the way we raise them commercially. I feel it is very important to treat our food with respect and make sure they have a reasonable life.

Feeding animals food that is not good for them just to increase the quantity of meat is also not right. Three weeks of feeding grains to finish the animal is not bad but giving them this feed all their life is not good. The new chickens are so bred out that they are grown fully in ten weeks, and if they are allowed to live longer, they die of heart attacks. Their bodies grow to fast for their hearts, this is not good. The chickens can't even get up and walk around, they have all their energy targeted for meat growth. That is no life, these chickens would never have survived a hundred years ago.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Silenceisalie

I believe we do need to eat meat, especially as children to help develop brain function.

Dont get drawn in, thats complete BS.
There are MANY people who've never had meat or even dairy from the moment they were born and they are as healthy as anyone else.

I agree with your op.
Just imagine if aliens landed and started stringing us up and hanging us on meat hooks. I bet people would see it differently then, and yet to those aliens could probably justify that we are just...humans (animals)
edit on 8-12-2013 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   

IkNOwSTuff
I actually have fantasies about an alien race coming to earth and taking all sport hunters to some intergalatic recreational hunting ground and doing as you describe in the op. Disarming them and then hunting them for fun.

I think these people need to experience the fear and sheer terror of being chased down by a superior intelligence with incomprehensible and unescapable weapons.

*sigh* I guess we can dream
since i watched the time machine as a child i have always had the funny feeling that humans were not top of the food chain with the millions that vanish every year world wide
but then again i am some random nutter on a conspiracy site but you never know after all we do taste like pork i hear

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Char-Lee

That is totally silly! My sisters children were vegetarian from birth and still are at age 30's, one is a lawyer and one works for the Air resources Board for the Gov.

My children were also raised vegetarian they were both in the gifted program all the way through school. One now is a pilot for the Army and one a business owner and long distance runner, they all have superb health and could pass for 10 years younger...where do people get these dumb ideas about having to eat animals...we eat them to get what they ate out of them, vegetation! People need to wake up and learn some truth instead of talking what they are told by the meat industries through their mouth piece in the government.
edit on 8-12-2013 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

I'm glad it worked out for your sister and you. I happen to know those it didn't work out so well for. This man was one of many I've heard that suffered consequences from his parent's choices.

And not all Vegetarian or Vegan parents believe what you do. I actually know a vegan woman who gave her children meat until they were old enough to make those decisions on their own (like teenage years), and not only did they choose to be vegan (and yes, I know the difference between of vegan and vegetarian) but they excel in their prospective fields.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join