It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poor animals

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   

satellite1
I'm tired of seeing people glorifying the killing of animals. Almost every day I see pictures posted of people "proud" of their offspring or husbands/wives etc for their kill(s), complete with an image of a dead dear, eyes still open, blood drenched at the foot of a smiling killer. It hurts and sickens me. I feel so sorry for the animals. No one cares that these animals are desperate, seeking food for their own. No one sees "life" in these beautiful animals, they just see a 6 pointer to put on their walls. The camo clothing complete with orange hats has become fashion as well. You see mothers with kids wearing this gear out shopping. Kids are having this "killer" instinct bred into them from birth, that its OK to kill animals. Wouldn't it be fun if the tables were turned and these hunters became the hunted. In the middle of the forest, no clothes, no weapons nothing. Just trying to survive while being hunted by animals. Not nice. While i'm ranting, I also hate seeing those trucks packed with pigs and chickens etc. I saw a truck packed, and I mean packed with chickens. They were so packed in, I thought they were dead, no room for movement, legs sticking out everywhere. I felt so sad for them. I sometimes think i'm alone in feeling sorry for these animals, why doesn't anyone see it how I do? They are animals trying to survive just like us. Rant over with.

Peace

People hunt. We always have. It is human nature. We are animals, never forget that. Just because we walk and talk, doesn't change that fact. Not only that, but life is life. Do you respect plant life less? Do you not respect all life equally?

See, the hunting thing is good. It teaches the children where 'meat' comes from. Most hunters have a respect for nature. When they kill the animal, they use all of it. They eat the meat. They use the hide. It isn't cast into a landfill; it is the purest and most natural form of living with the environment. Hunting licenses are given because there needs to be population control, because of how we affected the habitats in the first place (you live in a building that was once a habitat for these animals). Overpopulation is a bad thing and lessens the QoL for all the creatures in the environment, especially in areas that the natural predators are scarce. There are also laws about what they are allowed to hunt.

Before you get aggressive towards me ... I am no hunter. I've never hunted. I've killed no mammal, though I've killed insects who are 'pests' in the house. I've been a vegan before. I do understand where you are coming from, but I don't think you are seeing the bigger picture. Would you speak out against a native American tribe for hunting to feed their family? What about tribes that live in the jungles and forests? Is this only a problem you see with so-called 'civilized' people? Do you feel working for your own food to be barbaric?

I postulate that if more people had to hunt for their food, less people who didn't grow up that way would not eat meat. If you had to stuff your sausages and hot dog in the intestine casing, you might not be so eager to eat it. If you had to skin and butcher the cows, pigs, chickens to make your dinner, you might have more respect for the animal when you eat your meal.

I see nothing wrong with eating meat, or hunting. I have nothing wrong with farms and slaughter if they are humane as possible. I do have problems with hunting purely for sport if the animal isn't to be used in total by someone (if a sport hunter brings the animal to someone who will use all of it, then the proper cycle of life and death still exists). I don't agree with trophies on the wall however, fish or deer; nor the rugs with heads on them. Isn't my style and I find it a bit in bad taste, but I'm not going to condemn those people.

I understand your position sees these people as glorifying the death of the animals. Celebrating in their slaughter; but that is a very narrow minded view, and that isn't meant as an insult. I believe you are just naive to how most of those people actually feel. Sure there are those who do it for purely the wrong reasons, but there are those who do it the right way, and I believe those far outweigh the few 'sport' hunters or the ones who think it is 'cool'. My wife knows how to hunt. It is a life/survival skill. He step-dad taught her. She will teach our kids ... remember, I've never hunted. I see no problem with my daughters knowing how to hunt and survive in the wild.

Hunters strive to make 'clean' kills, no suffering for the animal. They don't want to kill cruelly, no matter what the 'game' is. They spend a lot of time at target practice to ensure they can make it as easy as possible on the animal being hunted.

Let me assure you though; there are predators out there. Bears will kill you, regardless if you've ever hunted or not, as well as cougars, even wild boars. A poisonous snake wouldn't care about how good of a person you were in life, even if one found its way into your backyard. You cannot ignore the cycle of life and death.

I respect hunters more than the person who goes to a supermarket to get their meat when it comes to the consumption of the food group. The hunter respects the food they are eating, the average supermarket mom/dad does not. They could barely tell you what animal the meat comes from let alone the part of the body. They are disassociated from it as much as possible. The same goes for fish. A fisher who catches and cleans their own catch respects that fish more than a person buying a 5 lb pack of tilapia pre-cut into filets.

I do understand and respect your position, but I think you need to understand and respect the hunter/fisher a bit more as well. Value all forms of life a bit more. And speak out stronger against inhumane treatment of farm animals intended for food both in their rearing, transportation, and slaughter.

Most humans are omnivores, that will not change; what you can do is make sure all processes to continue this is as human as possible in the mass produced sector; and understand the hunters a bit better; it isn't 'killer instinct' it is about respect of the animal and ecosystems, understanding where food comes from, how to survive and sustain. It isn't senseless killing of anything in sight.

Please take this all as a positive response, as it is intended to be.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I have nothing again hunting for food.. but if you gonna take a photo of your "trophy", you better killed that animal with a 5 inch knife.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

I have nothing again hunting for food.. but if you gonna take a photo of your "trophy", you better killed that animal with a 5 inch knife.

I don't personally take photos with my deer, even if one has a rack. I do always keep the rack, but what's it matter if someone takes a picture of it?

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Childish reasons to be a vegan. They are hoping that if they show you videos of the mistreatment of animals it will make you eat less meat, make you feel guilty. They are nothing more than a bunch of hypocrites that do not understand life. Stop blaming humanity, look elsewhere for answers. Think about why other animals cannot eat meat and focus on that.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Cancerwarrior

Why glorify killing it? What have you done that someone cannot do?

what's it matter if someone takes a picture of it?

What is your reason for someone taking picture? please do explain.

edit on 12/13/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Thinking about why they take pictures... I came up with, they want to show it off... Today's society of oversharing... If it was me I would have taken a picture to remind myself and show those people that I know... and that's about it, I would never post it online...

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Risktakr

I would never post it online...

And i agree with that.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   

I said I don't take pictures with anything I kill. However I don't see what the problem is if somebody wants to.

It's not unusual to want to keep a part of it. Some people keep the tails or rack for souvenirs.

They aren't "glorifying" the kill, people take pictures of all kinds of dumb crap, so what is the reason to not take a picture with it if you want to? It's no different than keeping the rack or the hyde or something like a trophy. It's just what alot of hunters do.
edit on 13-12-2013 by Cancerwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   

luciddream
reply to post by Cancerwarrior

Why glorify killing it? What have you done that someone cannot do?

edit on 12/13/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

The same reason for taking pictures with our dogs, family members, friends, scenic views, etc. Its for memories. A lot of times people have trouble remembering what they did a week ago let alone 10 years ago. Pictures are nothing more than captured memories, thats it.

I have a lot of old photos of me playing sports, pictures when I went to prom in high school, places Ive visited...sometimes people enjoy looking at themselves in the past.

Just because someone takes a photo of themselves with an animal they just killed...you call that glorifying the kill? That statement just doesnt make sense. You're implying that when anyone takes a picture its for any other reason other than preserving the moment. Thats just silly talk.
edit on 17-12-2013 by sprint34 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join