It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do ewe get a Flu shot?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Hello,

I know, I know this has been discussed but it's that time of year and we should discuss this again.

First - a "poll"....how many of you get a flu shot?

If you do get the shot you may want to read this article....blog.sfgate.com...

Even if you don't get the shot and you haven't read the article it's a good read. Here is an excerpt...

The flu vaccine contains formaldehyde, a known carcinogen, Savage says. Totally true. Getting a flu shot might not be the same as eating FEMA trailer insulation, but you are having formaldehyde injected into your body. Same with thimerosal, a mercury-laced organic compound used as a preservative in some flu shots. Thimerosal has been linked by some to autism.

If you get the shot or not it's your choice. Either way you should know of the consequences.

edit on 5-11-2013 by justreleased because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I don't get the shot... don't really have an opinion about the chemical composition of it, though.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by EllaMarina

I don't get the shot either, I'll take my chances.
I haven't caught the flu in years.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by justreleased

No flu shot for me, thanks. I'm not so much protesting the shot's chemical make-up, as I am tired of getting the flu each year that I DO get the shot.

If I don't get the shot, I don't get the flu. I know that sounds strange, but every time I have gotten the shot in my adult life, I have gotten the flu.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
No I don't get it either. Neither does my hubby, or either of my sons. (Old enough to make their own decisions, but at least listen to the reasons.)

I want my immune system to be strong enough to fight things. I take things to boost it, won't use that hand sanitizer stuff either.

I don't get sick much. But when I do, like my chest cold a few weeks back, I treat myself with natural stuff mostly. Except for nighttime sleeping. Not sure I could live without NyQuil!

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by DustbowlDebutante

You know I have heard more people say that is the case when they get the shot. Not a ringing endorsement for it!

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Had it the first year it came out in the late 90's and was sick ALL winter. Haven't had it since. Got the flu once in 16 years. I work in health care and discourage people from getting it unless they are geriatric.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
That article is a bit disingenuous. The most common brands of flu shots I have seen this year are Fluarix and Afluria. Neither of these contain preservatives nor thimerosal.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   

chiefsmom
reply to post by DustbowlDebutante

You know I have heard more people say that is the case when they get the shot. Not a ringing endorsement for it!

Same here. I know the shot makes a lot of people sick. Like I said earlier I'm not a fan of the shot but do what you feel is best.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Xcalibur254
That article is a bit disingenuous. The most common brands of flu shots I have seen this year are Fluarix and Afluria. Neither of these contain preservatives nor thimerosal.

Are you sure? I know the article is a bit old but did they make that many changes in the past year and a half?

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Not in the past. Not now. Not ever! I've seen some of the results of those shots up close and personal. No thanks!

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Nope, not getting it. I got talked into it in 1980, and exactly two weeks after I got the shot, I got the flu and thought I was gonna die! It was the sickest I've ever been, but I've only had the actual flu two other times besides that one. I was told, well, you must have had it already in you and you were going to get it anyway. I call Bull on that one. I hadn't been exposed to it and truly believe I never would have gotten it that year had it not been for that shot. Never again.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Multi-dose vials of seasonal influenza vaccine contain thimerosal; single-dose units are made without it. Also:

Since 2001, no new vaccine licensed by FDA for use in children has contained thimerosal as a preservative, and all vaccines routinely recommended by CDC for children younger than 6 years of age have been thimerosal-free, or contain only trace amounts of thimerosal, except for multi-dose formulations of influenza vaccine. The most recent and rigorous scientific research does not support the argument that thimerosal-containing vaccines are harmful. However, CDC and FDA continually evaluate new scientific information about the safety of vaccines.

Source

Also, flu shots are inactivated or recombinant and can't give you the actual virus they're supposed to confer immunity for. This doesn't mean that if you get vaccinated you can't/won't get the flu or develop flu-like symptoms.

There are several reasons why someone might get a flu-like illness, even after they have been vaccinated against flu.

1. One reason is that some people can become ill from other respiratory viruses besides flu such as rhinoviruses, which are associated with the common cold, cause symptoms similar to flu, and also spread and cause illness during the flu season. The flu vaccine only protects against influenza viruses, not other viruses.

2. Another explanation is that it is possible to be exposed to influenza viruses, which cause the flu, shortly before getting vaccinated or during the two-week period after vaccination that it takes the body to develop immune protection. This exposure may result in a person becoming ill with flu before protection from the vaccine takes effect.

3. A third reason why some people may experience flu like symptoms despite getting vaccinated is that they may have been exposed to an influenza virus that is very different from the viruses the vaccine is designed to protect against. The ability of a flu vaccine to protect a person depends largely on the similarity or “match” between the viruses selected to make the vaccine and those spreading and causing illness. There are many different influenza viruses that spread and cause illness among people. For more information, see Influenza (Flu) Viruses.

4. The final explanation for experiencing flu-like symptoms after vaccination is that unfortunately, the flu vaccine doesn’t always provide adequate protection against the flu. This is more likely to occur among people that have weakened immune systems or people age 65 and older.

Source

If you don't like hearing it from the evil CDC, I encourage you to do a web search for any of these assertions and read what several different sources have to say before making a decision. It's your prerogative to decide for yourself whether to get the vaccine and I'm not trying to encourage or discourage anyone from doing so, I just don't like seeing people base their decisions on misunderstandings or misinformation.
edit on 11/5/2013 by opopanax because: Formatting

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   

I won't get the shot. I haven't had the flu since i was a kid.

Everyone I know who gets the shot GETS the flu, SOOOO what is the point?

I had a friend where I use to live that had to get the shot because he was military and he would be miserable for about 2 wks because of it. He always dreaded getting the shot but they had to get it, well it wasn't a shot for him it was a nasal version for the military. He hated it.

Everytime i go to the doctor I have to remind them NO I don't want the shot and NO I don't want my son to have it either.

I have a friend who complains every year when her son gets the flu. She gets him the shot. I am like ok then STOP giving him the shot!

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I can't. I have neurological issues and it's suggested to be very careful with shots.
So no. No shots for me.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I've never had one and neither has anyone in my family circle. I forbid it. The school which My daughter attends asked her if she had one and she told them no and they asked her if she wanted one and she said no and they said why and she said "call MY DAD". I NEVER RECEIVED THAT CALL. When you see those shots getting handed out on every corner, every store,---IT MEANS SOMETHING IS REALLY WRONG. Never trust the CDC, government (in general), and the shills who work for them.
edit on 5-11-2013 by Fylgje because: typos galore I hate my keyboard with a passion!!

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I don't get the flu shot. I believe every vaccine carries some risk by pure nature of it being a foreign substance mainlined into our bodies. So, I carefully consider that risk, however minor, with the illness it's meant to prevent. I'll survive the flu ..and if I don't? A whole lot of others will be going before I do. I won't be lonely on the hospice ward entire hospitals will have become by then.

On the other hand, some in my family do not have robust immune systems and the flu could actually be fatal by complications. Weighing it by need? They do get it.
edit on 5-11-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I haven't had a flu shot in about 4 years. I've never had the flu either. My doctor always claims that they don't have any flu shots whenever someone ask about them during this time of year. This is the second doctor I've had that don't like giving vaccinations to people unless they have to.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Rocketgirl

Really? I know in Phoenix you can get a flu shot at CVS or Walgreens. They even have banners up telling people they are providing the service.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Where I live we can also get vaccinations at those places as well. I always get my vaccinations from my doctor because I don't have to pay for them because of my insurance. I guess some doctors don't feel comfortable giving there patients certain vaccinations unless they have to have them.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join