It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope Francis describes ‘ideological Christians’ as a ‘serious illness’ within the Church

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I love this new pope.

No really, and I'm an agnostic, bordering atheist.

Source.

Speaking at daily Mass last Thursday, Pope Francis warned Christians against turning their faith into a rigid ideology.

“The faith passes, so to speak, through a distiller and becomes ideology,” he said, according to Radio Vatican. “And ideology does not beckon [people]. In ideologies there is not Jesus: in his tenderness, his love, his meekness. And ideologies are rigid, always. Of every sign: rigid.

“And when a Christian becomes a disciple of the ideology, he has lost the faith: he is no longer a disciple of Jesus, he is a disciple of this attitude of thought… For this reason Jesus said to them: ‘You have taken away the key of knowledge.’ The knowledge of Jesus is transformed into an ideological and also moralistic knowledge, because these close the door with many requirements.”

So now, that you have what seems to be a real Christian at the head of the church, what will the super ultra right wing religious people say?

That he's the devil? That he doesn't understand the teachings of Jesus and the Bible?

I see a schism coming here, and huge one if this pope continues to try and lead the Christian world into this new, and proper direction.

Thoughts?

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   

tothetenthpower
I love this new pope.

So far ... ME TOO!

what will the super ultra right wing religious people say?
That he's the devil? That he doesn't understand the teachings of Jesus and the Bible?

Tom Horn and other anti-Catholic fundamentalist types are saying that he's the prophesied Anti-Christ helper ... one of two I think they said. The Steve Quayle site .. that I look at a lot for headlines .. is having a lot of 'this pope is evil' type stories .. that he isn't following scripture .. that he's leading the church astray ... you know, the usual rhetoric when someone does something they don't like.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

While I, as an orthodox Roman Catholic, like everything that Pope Francis has said and done, I can see where he's starting to step on the toes of conservatives -- not just conservative Protestants, but Catholics, as well. He has a lot on his plate, what with reforming the Curia, dealing with the various scandals that Benedict didn't think he was able to deal with, and his attempts to "humanize" the Vatican, but he needs to make sure that he doesn't fragment the church along idealogical lines and wind up with another schism.

If you like Pope Francis, you might want to pay attention to what most Catholic media is saying (as opposed to mainstream media, which puts him up as a radical) -- nothing that Francis has said is out of line with church teaching, or something that either Benedict or John Paul II couldn't have said, it's the way that Francis is delivering the message that has vastly improved.

That said, yes, the Roman Catholic Church has long been viewed as the "Whore of Babylon" and the root of evil in the world by some extremely conservative/fundamentalist Christians, usually laid at the feet of the Jesuits, of which order Francis is a member, so I fully expect more raging than usual from that sector.

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   

tothetenthpower

So now, that you have what seems to be a real Christian at the head of the church, what will the super ultra right wing religious people say?

I believe in a god as creator of the universe and the miracle of life. I can in no way be described as anything right wing nor religious. But even I question the popes motives and this announcement seems strange to me. Since when did having "morals" become wrong?

I also have a question for you, what is it that makes you decide that this pope is a "real" christian, as opposed to any other christian.
Who made you judge, as an agnostic bordering on atheism, on what constitutes the qualification of "real" Christianity?

A true christian doesnt worship christ, but does try to live by his teachings. Jesus was just a messenger, not an idol.
edit on 201310America/Chicago10pm10pmTue, 22 Oct 2013 13:50:54 -05001013 by OneManArmy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   

tothetenthpower
I see a schism coming here, and huge one if this pope continues to try and lead the Christian world into this new, and proper direction.

Thoughts?

~Tenth

Generally speaking on religion as a whole, I dont see it as an intrinsically bad thing. And I think this new pope could prove to me my thoughts in a Western setting.

Religion, like government, like money, are ideas, and ideas concerning ethics, morality, administration and trade, etc, cannot be labelled as good or bad; they are just templates of thought that can be used both by good, and evil, to serve the agenda at hand.

I am liking this new pope from what I see. I hope with all my heart he is able the manifest the good side of religion, as much as he reasonably can without taking big risks that could jeopardize the new path he is taking the church down.

+16 more 
posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by OneManArmy

I also have a question for you, what is it that makes you decide that this pope is a "real" christian, as opposed to any other christian.

because true Christians don't go around judging others for their behavior and creating legal challenges for their rights. Nor do they call for violence or mistreatment of people who do not follow their ways.

Who made you judge, as an agnostic bordering on atheism, on what constitutes the qualification of "real" Christianity?

I was raised Roman catholic and stayed in the church till my early twenties. I've read the bible in two different languages, the Koran in Arabic and every other religious text you can think of.

I'm not here to judge anybody, I'm simply applying the rules that Jesus put forth in his teachings, to those of today.

Pope Francis is following those teachings.

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Ha! I knew he would do that. Thanks for sharing! S&F

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   

tothetenthpower
Pope Francis is following those teachings.

Jesus two commandments - Love God and Love Your Neighbor.
Pope Francis seems to have that as the cornerstone of his papacy.
It's refreshing. He's setting a good example for everyone, not just Catholics.
And so far, I see nothing setting off my alarm bells that he's fake.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   

In that case fair enough.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
actually I read in some German news source that an unnamed source inside the vatican said that the pope makes himself a lot of enemies withing the vatican.
He said he might be in real danger, because he upsets a lot of cardinals.
If you consider what goes on behind the doors in the vatican and most likely all of them are corrupt and popes got killed before, it might not be far fetched.

My whole family is Christian, but I don't believe and think the catholic church is just based on lies and greed, but I really respect this pope and the stuff he says. He really seems to be like what a true Christian should be like.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   

FlyersFan

Tom Horn and other anti-Catholic fundamentalist types are saying that he's the prophesied Anti-Christ helper

The ramblings of the modern day Pharisees who condemn anything that is not strictly within their own interpretations of what is and is not. They are as corrupt in spirit as the Pharisees of over 2,000 years ago, who Jesus came to uproot and throw out.

If Jesus comes back, theyll be the first to get there metaphorical asses kicked to the curb (and theyll be the first ones to demand his second crucifixion too).

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   

FlyersFan
And so far, I see nothing setting off my alarm bells that he's fake.

Which makes me even more suspicious of him. So far he's been following exactly what I thought he would do. Check out my predictions regarding his papacy: skieswanne.weebly.com...

All falling in-step.

Saying that as an atheist investigator BTW.

edit on 22-10-2013 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I like this new Pope too.

Though he is setting about to things in such a way... many will likely cite prophecies and dooms day ideology in response to this.

This was a bold step, a necessary one, but one I honestly never thought I'd see in my life time from the Vatican.

CdT

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   

i too love this pope,

many people shy away from the real problems and "tinker" around edges,
the heart of this man is of compassion and truth

the truth is you cant serve two gods,
money or god but not both,

you do not need to take a vow of poverty to do good in this world,
but if you are too busy with greed,

no good will come of it

xploder

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Heck I had a good feeling about the pope as soon as I heard his chosen name and that he replaced the throne or whatever with a chair. I had a really good feeling after that.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by aLLeKs

This doesn't surprise me one bit.

If there's one group of people who are going to be difficult to convince that change is needed, it's a college of Cardinals.

These guys elect the pope, so they are the real power in the church. All of these 70 or 80 year old men with draconian views of the world.

It'll be interesting to see, much like in today's political realm, when the younger generation takes over.

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   

I too like this pope very much.

According to St. Malachy's prophesy he's also the last pope. Seems a shame if Francis is the new model of what a pope can and should be.

Well, at least the papacy is going out on a high note...

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Malachi 3:6

6 ―For I am יהוה, I shall not change and you, O sons of Ya‛aqoḇ, shall not come to an end.

I am a son of Yahuwah, grafted in by way of Yahushua, the Branch of David.

This pope has no authority over me.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   

aLLeKs
actually I read in some German news source that an unnamed source inside the vatican said that the pope makes himself a lot of enemies withing the vatican.
He said he might be in real danger, because he upsets a lot of cardinals.

Now thats the sort of thing that makes me think this pope might be a good guy.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Im absolutely stunned!

I'm finding myself agreeing with that pope more and more, such a realist! He is the best thing for the church for a hundred years.

I wonder if he will end up a 'radical' pope ha!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join