It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Crisis at Fukushima's Unit 4 Demands a Global Take-Over

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Human0815

Yes, I know about zeolite and boron, and also about being skeptical about RT; however, there is mention of the discovery, as well, that made it to Wiki, not that it's completely reliable, either, but perhaps more so.
And obviously, I think I mentioned you'd still have radioactive material, either way to deal with. But it seems just in terms of weight, a solid powder would be easier to deal with having absorbed the radioactivity, in a "hot" state, then gallons upon gallons of radioactive water.

There was another link I did not provide nor comment on from 2011 saying a Japanese professor had invented a zeolite based absorbing powder which they planned on dumping bags of on the ocean floor in the "run-off" area of Reactor #4. Do you know if this was ever done?
Thanks,
Tetra50

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
In the next 20 years or so watch Leukemia sky rocket....Fact!... and the figures will be horrendous.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by lakesidepark

Whats happening in Japan has the potential of changing life on Earth forever. Sadly, we are realizing the world at large doesnt agree...or care. And anything older than a few days...weeks at the most...goes by the wayside of importance, whereas they were all important they day they happened. These things...serious or life threatening...gets replaced by other things.

Whats happened to those stories "oh-my-God-what-are-we-gonna-do-it-this-is-IT-forSURE!!!!????" Occupy movement, End of the world 2012, North Korea's missles are pointed at us... Libya, Syria, this is the start of WW#...and all the other terrible news of victims of earthquakes, disasters, tsunamis etc etc....These were top topics of the day but then got replaced by other this-is-it stories. The world goes on and forgets the news of yesterday...like it doesnt really matter anymore. And millions are still affected.

Try this: Take note today of any really important story that is world-effecting like this one, write it down and then come back to it in 2 weeks to a month and see if its being discussed and/or noted as in importance to us all. It wont be there like when it 1st came out. We will never get the whole world together, arms around each other and say "we gotta fix this now!" The whole world is NOT together on things due to religious and political differences. They do not care about these things equally.

I remember someone here posting something about don't we care about the starving people in (pick any number of countries to place here)? And, when are we (the world) gonna DO something? My response was we do care...and cared in the 1960's, the 80's, 90's, New Millenium, 2012 and today. Yes. We did not save the world, eliminate hunger, rebuild all the societies...They are still starving, still in political and religious upheavals and disagreement.

So, why should this matter too? Whether Japan implodes, explodes or radiates gamma rays into the Pacific...today its only so much. Tomorrow, even less...even with those starving in Africa STILL starving. I do believe too that this Fukashima thing may be the 1 catalyst that is about to affect the whole world.

I just wish the whole world...together...and at the same time...would change. Unfortunately...it isnt going to.

edit on 09-22-2013 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I feel for the workers cleaning up the mess and receiving a death sentance for their troubles. I imagine the volunteer list isn't very long.

King

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Finally got an account on the site just to at least begin by posting this comment.

Anyway, what drives me crazy is that Japan has already come up with some technology to deal with this sort of crisis if they are not able to avert it altogether... also if you aren't already, many of you should start watching some anime.

Ghost in the Shell takes place on the cusp of the mid-21st century. World War III was a nuclear war primarily involving wealthy and powerful developed countries whose destruction resulted in fundamental changes in the global balance of power, as long-established national boundaries and concentrations of population were broken. World War IV was a non-nuclear war (also known as the Second Vietnam War) triggered by the ensuing collapse of many Third World states.

Japan is a major world power, having gained equal footing with the descendant countries of the former United States. This status is very much the result of its scientific and technological prowess; in particular, it is currently the only country with access to "radiation scrubber" technology. Also known as the "Japanese Miracle" (日本の奇跡 Nihon no Kiseki?), these nanomachines can eliminate nuclear fallout, although they must be distributed before a blast occurs to work effectively.

Wikipedia - World of Ghost in the Shell

Isn't this what the purpose of the Science Fiction genre once was? To form a hypothetical situation usually involving science or technology, and then provide a story which allows its participants (readers, listeners, viewers) to visualize the same idea as the creator has in his own mind? I see it as this; someone has already formed the idea, hypothesis, or proposal for something like the "Japanese Miracle..." so that possibly means that if one can think of a technology, there is certainly a method to go about creating it.

That's my belief anyway.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by webedoomed

One reactor core = one fuel rod ASSEMBLY.

There are 1400 fuel rod 'assemblies' in the #4 spent fuel pool.
There are 11,000 fuel rod 'assemblies' total on the site (pools over all 4 damaged reactors, and the two functional reactors, and a common storage pool).

The #4 pool is the biggest concern, but it has the capability of irradiating the site enough to bar all humans from entering, and will prevent any machinery from effectively operating in the area. From that point, then the cooling may be lost on the three cores boring thru the bedrock, the remaining 5 pools over the reactors, and the common pool. Once cooling is lost, the outside shell of the fuel rods will burn and melt the assemblies into a pile and then with that much material coming together, we will have uncontrolled fission.

Even spent fuel rod assemblies are highly radioactive and take years to cool to the point where they can be casked and stored without cooling. And they are capable of fission.

So we are talking more than a half-dozen reactors worth of spent fuel. Maybe it's not the same as 11,000 reactors with fresh cores (fuel rod assemblies) but that is still MUCH greater than 400.

Now I must add - where are the new assemblies that must be surely stored somewhere on the site, there was at least one that would have been used to refuel the #4 reactor as it's core was supposedly removed for refueling. I would assume (but do not know) if there are new assemblies for the other reactors stored with the spent cores. At this point we can only be assured of the ones TEPCO have admitted to.

I assume you already knew this, and are very capable of research and reading comprehension from your last post.

So I am curious about how you can distort what is already well known and not sourced from some conspiracy site. You know the difference between a fuel rod and a fuel rod assembly (a reactor core). So why purposely distort and mislead???

FYI not a nuclear engineer. That's not my profession. My engineering proficiencies lie elsewhere.

Said enough.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Fukushima needs to be on the top of the list of weapons of mass destruction with UN inspections demanded and adamantly discussed while they are all meeting this week in New York. To do otherwise makes all other action toward security a farce. Nuclear threats....should never again be taken seriously nor chemical weapons be a concern if when such a monumental and on-going release of radiation occurs...governments aren't demanding provable security.

And the water going into the Pacific is not all cleaned. Daily more than 1,000 TONS of radiated ground water is washing over, under or around three melted cores and a lot of other ejected debris and flowing straight in on the convenient ancient river bed someone thought it would be handy to build on top of.

One of the biggest pieces of conspiring Tepco has done is failing to show the world the "visible" fire of radiation that has been pouring out of Fukushima. Think about it...when you can see the smoke or flames it is disaster B roll for media that explains the word emergency like no other paragraph of wording can. Since day one Tepco has had access to the high tech cameras that can SEE clouds of radiation already in place but the Israeli company who installed them said they only needed Tepco's permission to remotely access the images. One of these "makes the radiation fire blazing away at FUKUSHIMA visible cameras" was even aimed right at the core of MOX fuel in Unit three which had major explosions all over tarnation. Show the fire Tepco. We know you can see it. Show the fire.

Hell even during the Deep Water Horizon disaster, they showed footage as that thing leaked and blew into the ocean. Tepco and the government of Japan and associated nuclear corporations have continuously covered up the extent of both the level of the disaster and the threat still 100 percent ahead of all of us.

Radiation that leaves Japan's borders which this has, still is and will - is an attack with a weapon of mass destruction via negligence and greed and cannot be permitted by those who are also being affected globally. All of us. The world's governments need not have an engraved invitation. It was issued the day the radiation left Japan's shores.

Israeli firm’s cameras recording Japanese nuclear core

As the world continues to gaze with concern at Japan’s Fukushima nuclear power plant, hi-tech security cameras installed by an Israeli defense firm are recording events at the troubled core from an insider’s vantage point.

The Arava-based Magna BSP company, which specializes in producing and installing stereoscopic sensory and thermal imaging cameras, had been contracted to place cameras around one of the plant’s six cores – the core that has been experiencing explosions and overheating.

Speaking to The Jerusalem Post on Monday, Magna’s head, Haim Siboni, said the thermal cameras also had the ability to detect the presence of radioactive clouds in the air, but added that Magna had not been able to gain access to the images recorded by the cameras at this time.

“Because we are using these special cameras, we can also identify radioactive clouds, due to the spectrum that our cameras can sense,” Siboni said.

Although Magna is able to gain remote access to its computer system, which receives the cameras’ images, Siboni said his company had not yet been authorized to do so.

“We have not been allowed to take control remotely yet,” Siboni said.

Source

This report is from March 15, 2011....

edit on 23-9-2013 by DancedWithWolves because: Typos I blame on trying to type this on my phone.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I cant understand either, our government is the first in line to jump in when in comes to other countries money, or their civil wars, or anything that doesnt even concern us. But this is a situation that can affect the entire planet and yet they just act like nothing is going on.

We and every other country on earth should be offering any kind of help that we can.
I guess if they cant throw bombs at a problem to solve it then they wont be bothered these days.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   

You assume something can be done. Is it feasible to move the fuel pile in a time frame smaller than the next large earthquake? What if it cant be? Then what? If the public is told that this is a possibly lethal global event that has to be dealt with, and then they fail, where do you go from there? What will the public reaction be to the knowledge the Earth is doomed? I dont think it would be pretty to say the least. There used to be the supposition that if an asteroid was going to hit Earth, and result in an extinction level event, the government would have no valid reason to tell the public. I hope this is not the same type of scenario we are looking at. I have to say that if the entire world found out it was doomed, it might result in anarchy or a total collapse of society. If in fact we only have a few years left, it would be better to live in relative peace than have society come completely apart at the seams. There is merit in not wanting to start a panic.
edit on 23-9-2013 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by openminded2011

Strange is'nt it, everyone ready to Blitz Iran and create such a problem again........Yet no one has so far mentioned the Japanese Crisis. What a Wonderful World.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Has anyone heard of an effort and/or potential of freezing a cooling pool to lock everything in place before removal? Are the temperatures to great to chemical flash freeze? I found this which speaks to normal pool temperatures - does not appear to be as hot as once might think: what-if.xkcd.com...

I also found this article back from august saying that contaminated water is leaking into the ocean and Tepco was planning on freezing the surrounding ground. enenews.com... ted-methods-and-technologies-that-have-not-been-develop

and this..

www.theatlantic.com...

I googled different variants of "freezing containment pools" and did not find any content that speaks to this point, but then again, It was not an exhaustive search.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Yup and none of this would have happened if that was a clean burning coal power plant instead of nuclear.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by cartenz

Yes a slow ELE, but one that is speeding up.

The public has to start testing the air, soil, water, and everything on the West Coast and other regions more often; we can't depend on the EPA.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I think everyone needs to pull their collective heads out of their sand filled as*es. Trying to play the race card is pathetic. This has always been a global problem and should be addressed by everyone it’s going to affect. Which is everyone and everything living on this planet. Its way beyond time for TEPCO to get over their pride and ask, beg and plead for help. It’s also shameful that the rest of the world hasn’t jumped in to offer help. This situation, which everyone is oddly ignoring, is quickly and irreversibly poisoning this planet. For anyone to think they won’t be affected by this. its time to wake up. We are all part of the cycle.

1. The radiation in the ocean and air will travel across the world.
2. We eat fish from the ocean.
3. Rain generated from the ocean will fall on us. We drink rainwater, irrigate our crops and feed our livestock with the same water. We then eat the farmed food and animals.
4. Rinse and repeat. It will touch us all.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 12:30 AM
link   

cartenz
IMHO Its not that people dont care, its that people dont know.

I wish that were true. IMHO when I think about Fukugate. I imagine the majority of the planet staring at their own genitalia and believing it to be the solar system. Its a difficult mental image to describe. I know a lot of people at ATS are well aware of whats going on. However the majority of the planet IMO are more concerned about sports and genitals. Idiocracy has come true.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 12:50 AM
link   

When will the good people of Japan say enough is enough? Foolish pride and misplaced loyalty is going to cost them there children's future. This was the worst place for an event like this to happen because the people will put up with anything and tend to believe what they are told.

And are all Japanese like this.....NO. This is turning into a global issue and they need to ask even beg for help if not for them they should do it for the future generations. This is gonna span many years and cause untold suffering.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by JHumm

Japanese pride is what is standing in the way! What does it help to make an offer and have that offer refused? I am pretty sure that multiple governments and agencies have made such offers just to find the door being closed in their faces!
TEPCO thought that they could manage this situation and once they realised that they couldn't the Japanese government stood up and said with their help Japan and TEPCO can sort this out, now that this Toxic snowball has gained so much in size and is picking up speed they are not prepared to lose face and "ASK" for help!

If the management of TEPCO had been in charge of a disaster of this magnitude a century ago they would all have fallen on their swords, willingly!

edit on 24/9/13 by wiser3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Real geniuses, TPTB are. Did they ever think of a "what if" scenario.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 04:03 AM
link   

This might seem off topic to some but let me explain the insight of this short video clip of Blue Oyster Cult's song Godzilla.

Towards the the of this song about a nuclear radiation monster created by man, comes out from the Sea off the coast of Japan's main Island Hokkaido these prophetic words are spoken.

"History shows again and again
How nature points up the folly of men
Godzilla!"

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by angrymartian

Not to make light of the situation but... Godzilla is a real possibility now. I have been wondering if we will see some new form of mutated life from all of this.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join