It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stars, Flags, Lightening Bolts, and Statistics: Sniffing out the Trolls, Derailers, and mean people

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I personally completely disagree with your theory that people who have been members a long time yet have few posts aren't worth paying attention to. On the contrary, when a poster LISTENS more than SPEAKS I have found they are well worth listening to.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Stars are what my opponents see after I hit them with my lightning bolts
and take home more trophies....

...After you have enough stars, lightning bolts, and trophies you can look
into the mirror (while wearing a smoking jacket) and practice saying...

..."The name is Bond....James Bond"

edit on 15-9-2013 by rival because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   

misskat1
reply to post by jacygirl

Thank you Jacy girl,

I think you made the point for me, so many times we jump to conclusions and it creates arguments where there should not be arguments. Sometimes it becomes less of a collective share of information, and more of a frantic scream of "I have the only right view."

Lets agree to disagree more often. Sorry, I got everyones panties in a bunch. It was not my intentions.

You mean like jumping to the conclusion that if someone doesn't average 10+ stars per post they are a "troll?"

edit on 15-9-2013 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
i do not understand the lightning bolts but give someone a star that takes the time to answer me even if negatively i always thought that it was people who made threads that the lightning was for but then again i do not care

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   

misskat1
I finally figured out how to use the system, to help me navigate through all the random Clutter, Angry, Ranting comments. If a person has been posting for a long time, and they only have a few stars, like 1 - 1/2 or less per post, Don't bother reading or replying, The stuff they say, isn't worth a gold star. I call them the 1 stars.

I completely disagree. I find that many posts that get starred are ones that have nothing to do with the post. They are usually jabs or peoples attempts at being funny. Some of most starred posts are sarcastic replies yet ones where I take time to reply and add content get nothing.

You get Lightening Bolts for being nice in your comments, staying on topic, and not getting baited into "changing the mind" of the 1 stars above.
I know this because, I never rant, etc, and I had over 80 lightening bolts. So, since I had so many bolts to spare (lol) I experimented, and belittled, harassed and pushed back on one of the one stars.

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

Yup, I lost my Boltzzzzz. I tried to loose sleep, really I did!!!
But now I know; if a person has a bunch of posts and hardly any lightening bolts, This tells me they are trolls, derailers unable to stay on topic, mean, angry baiters. So, I ignore, and simply don't reply. Unless I have some magical words of wisdom that will stop them dead in their tracks and think about the stuff they say, which I don't.

If you base peoples posts on stupid stats on an internet forum then you clearly don't care about content. I have been here almost 5yrs and I have 22 bolts so according to you I'm a troll? Far from it. Sorry but I could careless about status on an internet forum let alone bolts...which you can't do ANYTHING with btw.

I really don't know what your point is other than to try and get more flags and stars which I see you got. You should care about content not what someones stats are. There are many long standing members who post awesome replies but they don't make threads. Then there are those who make awesome threads yet don't reply to many other threads because they are too busy with their own threads.

This is why I can't stand the stats on here and wish they'd do away with status bars and so on. It will weed out the attention seekers who only post to get status. It's an internet forum it should be about content not how many flags, stars or what color status bar someone has. Sure some of those members with the status bars are great members but if you ever really watched the boards you will see the majority don't care about the content and only want that gold bar or that extra flag. It's sad really.

I never judge a member based on their stats. I could careless. I look at their content and whether or not they took the time to reply and give input or answer questions which many "top" contributors DO NOT do. To me that is not a top contributor, they don't care about their thread and if they did they'd reply to it and listen to both sides.

No offense but you sound very young.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by misskat1

Misskat, the flags/stars aren't so much what is said, but how it is stated.

If we see someone who did say something profound, then it is up to all of us to make sure that it is noted and noticed.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

How do you know if a thread has been taken down by Mods???

I didn't realize it was taken down, I noticed it just suddenly disappeared. It was only on for 3-4 days and was getting a really good amount of response. (Mostly people trying to stop the racism) I really had a hard time understanding how onions could possible be more important than the Militia telling you to get prepared.

I think if you start a thread, you should watch it and reply, clarify etc. It isn't much fun when, people make race an issue.
I admit, in my quest to understand the lightening bolt, I retaliated a wee bit. And yes, I was not as nice as I usually am. So, I don't know if its because the "powers that be, doesn't want us peons talking about a Militia, or if some of the members made some pretty scary, hot comments, and the mods decided it was stirring a boiling pot.

I think "they" don't want us talking about a militia. I wonder where the orders to take it down came from? I expect the avatar with the poop on his stick, will be throwing it my way after that comment. (sorry, I am human).

Thank you for understanding my motive behind my moment of insanity (making this thread). Again, apologies to all I offended with my really bad idea of getting my point across.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Hi Beezer, you were on the Oathkeepers thread when the race card was played. I started this thread to make a point about derailing threads. I didn't think the star/ flag thing was important to anyone, so I used that system to make my point. I was trying to be funny. You would have to read my other replies about it.
The Oathkeepers thread was banned or pulled by mods. I just found out a few min ago, thanks to another reader. It was getting heated. But, I don't know if that was the issue or not.

Again, sorry if anyone was offended. That was not my intention.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   

misskat1
reply to post by beezzer

Hi Beezer, you were on the Oathkeepers thread when the race card was played. I started this thread to make a point about derailing threads. I didn't think the star/ flag thing was important to anyone, so I used that system to make my point. I was trying to be funny. You would have to read my other replies about it.
The Oathkeepers thread was banned or pulled by mods. I just found out a few min ago, thanks to another reader. It was getting heated. But, I don't know if that was the issue or not.

Oh.

There are some people who will do everything in their power to disrupt/negate a thread or a message.

Sometimes, not participating will win a debate faster only because the individual will draw such an ugly self-portrait that they will negate their own rants.

But it's all good regardless.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

beezer with your 56 bolts are you on the pay roll
ps where is my cheque this month

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   

misskat1
reply to post by beezzer

maybe it was just moved....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

or was there a different one ??

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Why do you care so much about pixels on a screen?

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   

The thread is still there. Looking at it right now along with having about 10 tabs open regarding the Oath Keepers. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I opted to not respond because this last week was a rough week personally for me. Sometimes you just have to walk away and take a break.

Working on a long post on that thread now, as objective as I can possibly be because it's a serious subject. No need to apologize for stating your frustration. Hang in there.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   

geobro
reply to post by beezzer

beezer with your 56 bolts are you on the pay roll
ps where is my cheque this month

I am on the payroll, true.

But I'm the guy that hands out aftershave and towels in the ATS staff bathroom.

(I work on tips)

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I think everyone is star in some way and, everyone deserves a star! I agree with some posters this is an arbitrary system you can't gauge anyone's real input value by this.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

i will be living out of dumpsters with 14 bolts to my name whats a confused dog/cow to do

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
When did ATS turn into such a haven for douchebaggery...

Seriously? Stars and flags? Karma points? reminds me all too much of dolphins and dogs jumping for treats.

How about you take the poster on what they are saying and to hell with the rankings.

I dont care how respected a member is or how new one is. Truth and knowledge can come from anywhere.

If you close yourself off to the possibility it will be your loss anyway. But then our actions and beliefs determine the quality of life we experience so I guess you will get what you deserve.
edit on 19-9-2013 by TiM3LoRd because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Nice, it's been a wonderful morning already and now I open your thread just to find out that I am apparently a troll and at my posts are not worth reading.

That is very kind of you, just so you know.

If you have any more opinions on many of us lowly ATSers who don't happen to be mainstream enough for you than please be sure to let us know.
Apparently you just don't know what it's like to be looked at as a piece of crap constantly, and I hope for your kind and loving self that you never are.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Some of us just say unpopular things - I can tell you a few years ago saying bad things about the US empire, its wars of aggression, corrupt financial system and its plunge into tyranny used to get me ranted at - 3 or 4 years later and these ideas are more popular. Seeing something and calling it as you see it can have you burned at the stake, doesnt matter how evidence based and accurate your views are.

I tend to post to provoke debate and controversy - especially where new information should be leading to a paradigm shift in understanding.

Popularity is no measure of being correct, in fact its simply a measure of group think - popular posters might not touch controversial subjects, or simply reinforce the status quo - something that here on ATS should be constantly under attack by skeptical minds.
edit on 19-9-2013 by Amagnon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   

You may have a lot of "bolts " but that does not keep you lacking the knowledge as to what the "bolts " or karma really are.

After reading your post again I see that you do understand the correlation of stars to post's = karma and that you are just a cruel self absorbed person along with proof that ATS's karma scale does not work.

Well done misskat1 well done.

edit on 19-9-2013 by Battleline because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join