It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You have 1 dollar a day to feed yourself... explain how you would do it????

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by InkontinentiaBouquet

Your list sounds familliar to me-and thank heavens for fishfingers+baked beans

We eat a lot of Brit-style food,fish+chips(or fish fingers) also baked beans and/or eggs on toast,mash+bangers,etc-its filling,not bad to the taste at all,sort of comfort food in a way,almost+a fairly cheap way to eat,even here.

A big bag of normal flour is what I get,and some sachets of yeast,if I buy normal cake flour,the yeast makes the home-made bread/buns taste bread-ish,but if we use baking powder,that flour can be combined with eggs,a bit of milk+some sugar to make a basic vanilla cake.Add a small bag of icing sugar+there's a nice vanilla cake/muffins to put in the kids lunchboxes

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Agit8dChop
reply to post by spartacus699

I'd buy a squeegee and a bucket go make that $1 into a $5 and keep going

Good idea. I'd put the dollar towards a box of garbage bags at the ¢99 Store, hit the
dumpsters & trash cans for cans & bottles.

I live across from a recycling center & the homeless around here (the non-lazy ones) do it everyday
& they're able to maintain a good supply of food & beer.

Also that same ¢99 store has 3 packs of Raman noodles for ¢99.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   
From 1980 to 1985 I lived off $5.00 a week.

I can write a book on 101 ways to cook chicken wings.

Granted it was by choice and I had meals with friends on occasion and with family (holidays only).

I guess because it was by choice and I was saving for my dream goal. (To own my own home before my 30th birthday), it was easier for me than it might be for some.

I am not real big on special meals. I still eat very simply; mostly fruits and vegetables. I have noticed by grocery bill is twice as much than by sister-in-laws and she is feeding 3 boys and her husband. Fruits and veggie meals cost a lot more than meat based meals.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   

davjan4
I'm growing about 50 lbs at least of sweet potatoes in my backyard. The cost $0. I just replanted some clippings.
I also have three tomatoes plants. Cost? $0. I grew them by breaking some braches off other tomatoes as an experiment to see if they would grow. They are thriving. I almost cant' believe it.

I also have onion seeds that I saved from an an onion I grew that I let go to seed. Coat $0. Also all of my spaghetti Squash and butternut squash at $0. And my romaine lettuce.

A thread of how to invest the $1 properly or how to make money/food from nothing (or little) would be an entirely different thread. But for the sake of this thread let's just assume that you do not take the $1 to multiply it, but you will need to buy food for that amount.

Example...when you plant your tomatoes, onions etc...all nice and great...but you still will need to eat something in the meantime

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Tuna fish, rice, beans, ramen noodles and veggies. That's where my dollar would go.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
How to eat on a dollar a day? I'm not sure but....

I think the "Yes Men" came up with an answer to this one years ago and presented their findings at a gathering of the WTO, it's hilarious!

I would just imagine that those "number ten" burgers can't be that expensive.

edit on 14-9-2013 by Flatfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Day 1 - 10 packs of Ramen noodles on sale $10/1. I will eat 3.
Day 2 - $1 worth of broccoli. I will saute 1/2 of it down and add in 2 packs of Ramen.
Day 3 - $1 worth of chicken (leg quarters are 59cents/pound here). I will eat chicken and broccoli.
Day 4 - A can of tuna. I will stir it in with 2 packs of Ramen.
Day 5 - $1 worth of ground beef. I will stir in half with 2 packs of Ramen.
Day 6 - $1 worth of egg noodles. Mix it in with the other half of the ground beef.
Day 7 - I will buy a can of cream of mushroom soup and mix it in with egg noodles.

Not fancy but I think I made it.

Btw, if I had $7 to start the week I think I could do even better.
edit on 14-9-2013 by cry93 because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-9-2013 by cry93 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by cry93

You guys are SO blessed with your food prices-in my country there is no way you could buy any chicken for the equivelent of 1$-not even wings-prices start at the equivalent of 3 dollars for even wings-if you're lucky and they're having a special.Tuna is over 1$'s eqivalent for one can,been for a while now-in this country it is a Challenge to feed yourself on the equivalent of 1$ a day,I can tell you.If you want to eat healthy while far from wealthy-a veg garden(including potatoes) is the only way to go,keeping your own poultry.If we were allowed to keep poultry where I live,I would have kept some hens for sure.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
To live on a buck a day worth of food without hunting or eating things that grow in nature would be hard. You would have to use Phytases to neutralize the antinutrient properties of phytates and phytic acid. White rice has low levels of this, brown rice is loaded. New potatoes are best because the phytic acid has not formed much., planting some potatoes is the best bet for long term survival. If you have no butter, eating boiled dandelions should be eaten with potatoes. For meat, sometimes stores have cheap meats that say "use or freeze right away" because they are at their expiration date. A person should have onions when doing something like this.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   

winofiend
starving actors? oxymoron?

Lump sum, buy a large quantity of rice. Individual days, I can only think of noodles. the 2 minute variety, theyre about $.50 cents a packet here for the super cheap type.

Hmmm rice.. When I like something, I like 2000 of it!

edit on 14-9-2013 by winofiend because: someone buy me a working set of hands to go with my keyboard plox!!! oO

having tried the "noodles" thing in the past when in that situation, let me say BAD IDEA. while i was doing this a friend took me out to a party and i PASSED OUT. when i came to a couple friends one a nurse asked what i had been eating. i was told THAT is WHY i passed out. all noodles do is fill you up, NOT ENOUGH NUTRITIONAL VALUE to keep you going.

plain rice would amount to the same, but you can add a bit of veggies/meat to it to make it more worth while, using the rice to "stretch" the other stuff out. thus providing at least some nutrients plus filling you up. pastas can be used in the same way being fairly cheap, and being able to add small amounts of "good food" (which also tends to cost more) to it. doing this you can take a "cheap meat" like a chicken leg, and get two meals out of it.

peanut butter is a good idea, as it it a goop protein to keep you going even if you don't have bread. beans (dried beans are cheap) is also good protein for when you don't have much meat. dried beans just take time to prepare, tho if you are broke, chances are you have all the time you need.

staples like flour, salt and oil are good to have as can make bread type stuff which ends up cheaper than buying bread. buying most "ingredients" and making stuff from "scratch", can be a huge money saver. it may seem a bit pricey but if you have the funds to buy it, it will make many meals, that contain what you actually need nutrient wise, cheaper than buying "prepared" stuff that general will do you more harm than good, as they just fill you up without providing needed nourishment. as i found out the hard way.

one thing i did find out, is after a few weeks of hardly any food you are able to start ignoring hunger, letting you get by on one small meal a day.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   

winofiend
starving actors? oxymoron?

reviewswithatude.files.wordpress.com... _l4536sely41qzrqmgo1_500.jpg

It hink he ate a can of tuna and an apple a day.... I believe?

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by MildyAmuzed

Haha, there I go
cheers!

REmind me not to engage in my dream to become an actor. I might play on on the intenret in the future however, but I will be spending more than $1 a day.

Crap I spend $4 a day just on public transport.
I hate my city.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Have to save a dollar a day for a few days and eat out of dumpsters for awhile, and buy bulk beans and rice for later while eating out of dumpsters to save for other stuff. Go to the local ball-park for water to cook the beans and rice on my bicycle, while I save dollar per day to fill my car gas tank, I continue eating out of dumpsters. Keep saving those dollars per day to pay registration and insurance on that same vehicle, or maybe sell it to buy a bicycle trailer to haul my beans and rice around and enjoy being freer and in better shape than people half my age.
I have everything compared to having nothing, and still have less than most, but realize having anything is the same as having something to lose, and am tired of losing stuff, and stuff really just keeps one in a certain place, kinda like being controlled...
I always wander and drift around, and someday I will die, I Don't Care. I only dislike how much my mother worries. There really isn't anything to worry about anyway...
Life is easy when one is alive.
Free.
edit on 14-9-2013 by MyHappyDogShiner because: blap

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by generik

Oh I'm not going to any parties. Or anywhere. I've lived on rice before, and with stock cubes and an onion or a carrot, it's easy to make something reasonable. Noodles are actually high in fat content. But yeah, I don't think we're going for healthy at $1 a day, unless you are alreayd in a position to make that work.

Nothing here is $1. Everything is over a dollar.. unless it is on special, and that's on chance if you find it.

If it were a case of $1 a day too, I know I could survive on the things I'd need to buy (I'd also ask someone at the shop before going in for a dollar, can't hurt, if I'm polite and not a tosser, and then I have double!) but the cooking it, and a place to stay would be the issue for me if it came down to that situation.

We do have parks with free gas bbq's. But you can't cook rice or noodles on a hot plate. Tried it. haha

I know if it ever came down to it again, I'd probably have to rely on organisations as I've done before. As little as possible, and not as soon as I could. But it's certainly a relief to know they exist here.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

i got a bus pass from a pensioner friend of mine for the price of a bottle of cider .

he had a spare one and i have never been asked to show it you just place it on top of the machine and away you go happy days i save a fortune

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by geobro

It's amazing to witness how much something so simple can help so much, isn't it?. Especially so being helped by someone who understands what a simple favor it takes to make a difference so, intentional, so simple a contribution...

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Beans are expensive, things that were once cheap are no loner and getting even more so. Think about how the people survived after the big crash of 29, they could still get certain commodities like flour, lard, and the basics, now those same basics are quite high. I figured it out that to make homemade bread, it costs the same as an expensive loaf.

As for 30 dollars a month? Not unless I could grow as well to supplement.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   

The rig below will allow you to set "fish traps". The key is to find rivers/lakes with saplings on the shore. Those are your fishing poles. Configure two notched pieces of wood as below, with the one on the ground actually being stuck fairly deep into the ground (to be firm).

When a fish nibbles, it sets the hook.

Meanwhile, you attend to needs like shelter repair, or finding various carbs and other proteins.

ETA...forgot the image:

edit on 14-9-2013 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I can recall students here living on that amount per day on things like ground rice, oatmeal, lentils etc that can be bought in bulk but that was some time back and probably more like $5-$10 in today's inflated market. There's always the ancient art of foraging which wouldn't be too hard in an urban environment (not that I ever had to).

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 12:06 AM
link   

winofiend
reply to post by generik

Oh I'm not going to any parties. Or anywhere. I've lived on rice before, and with stock cubes and an onion or a carrot, it's easy to make something reasonable. Noodles are actually high in fat content. But yeah, I don't think we're going for healthy at $1 a day, unless you are alreayd in a position to make that work.

Nothing here is $1. Everything is over a dollar.. unless it is on special, and that's on chance if you find it.

If it were a case of $1 a day too, I know I could survive on the things I'd need to buy (I'd also ask someone at the shop before going in for a dollar, can't hurt, if I'm polite and not a tosser, and then I have double!) but the cooking it, and a place to stay would be the issue for me if it came down to that situation.

We do have parks with free gas bbq's. But you can't cook rice or noodles on a hot plate. Tried it. haha

I know if it ever came down to it again, I'd probably have to rely on organisations as I've done before. As little as possible, and not as soon as I could. But it's certainly a relief to know they exist here.

Wait....what???

OK, so a cool thing that was discovered once, almost 100,000 years ago....fire. You make a circle with stones. Find slow growth wood. And build a fire. There are dozens of methodologies for doing it using no technology. But I bet you can cobble a free solution together.

You can absolutely cook noodles and rice on an open fire. YOu just have to know what you are doing, and by that I mean think, pay attention, and learn from your mistakes.

Put down that bottle, you're pickling your brain.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join