It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You have 1 dollar a day to feed yourself... explain how you would do it????

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

I don't know where you live so I cannot say but here in Canada I can make a loaf of bread for approximately 17 to 21 cents ( breaking down the cost of ingredients per loaf) over buying a loaf at the store for 3.50$ I try to hand make most of my food when I can and it definitely is a lot less expensive for example a jar of mayo here is close to 5$ where one egg and a bit of oil is all you need to make it.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Raxoxane

Have you ever heard of Bread and butter pudding over there? It was a favorite here during the war. That's pretty cheap and easy to make. You can add dried friut but cream is not necassary.

britishfood.about.com...

I find these days somethimes it is easier to afford supermarket value range that it is to buy seperate ingredients. Especially if you take into consideration gas/electricity and water for washing pots.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by cry93

Not bad. You passed the test!

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 03:28 AM
link   

I would like to add to your comment that rice should not be cooked in advance, do as mush as you need for the day. Lots of food poisoning comes from left over rice.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by InkontinentiaBouquet

I think you passed

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Get this.....

Talking about starving actors....

I posted an ad for someone to record 3 very short business videos for 80 bucks. Well I had the following people actually apply:

1) Miss Egypt 2012
2) a person who started in mad men
3) a woman who was on millionaire match maker

and more! No joke They needed the 80 bucks bad! I guess it's like they earn a bit form bigger gigs but really it's a one time payment and it might keep them going for a bit but if they don't land big roles then they have to take whatever work is available. ouch.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by generik

Your post made me wonder-do people get used to eating a certain amount a day/conditioned that they should eat at least a certain amount? While I was feeling sickly for a long time,I started eating very little,maybe a slice of wholewheat bread with just butter all day long+a very small bowl/plate of food for dinner-and this went on for a long time.Now I hardly get hungry,one small meal a day+a slice of wholewheat toast is sufficient.As long as the things you do eat is not downright unhealthy,day after day after day-i feel we can in general do with eating less,unless you're someone who has to do strenuous labour/exercise-most of us don't have to.

I am lucky myself,the hubby+our youngest daughter all eat like birds.We don't have poor appetite,we just don't seem to need much food to get through the day without hunger pangs,which is marvellous.My growing son loves toast+sandwiches+eats a lot of that,though,so we buy brown/wholewheat+add some cheese+tomato,so it's not like he fills himself up with whitebread-stodge.

I make sure to have apples+bananas in the house whenever possible-so those serve as healthy filling snacks too-and one can make dellicious desserts using these 2 types of fruit as a base,very versatile.

Here's a nice thing I make as a quick dessert-heat a small bit of oil,I use about a teaspoon+2 teaspoons of butter(you may need to adapt+use more depending on the amount of bananaBTW don't slice the bananas,use whole fruit)and into this I put some slices of fresh ginger-very cheap,even here by us.I fry this ginger-butter with 2 tablespoons of brown sugar for about 2 minutes,then I add bananas+fry for another 2/3 minutes or till nice+soft+drenched in the gingersugar mix.I sprinle some dried gingerspice over it too-but I absolutely love the taste of ginger,you don't have to add the sprinkle.Simple but yummy.If you happen to have some ice-cream,even just cheapest brand vanilla icecream,its a real treat-and the kiddo's get the benefit of the banana+ginger.

Ginger is a godsend-i used to suffer a lot from nausea in the morning,many days a week for months on end-and so first thing in the morning I would have rooibos(redbush) herbal tea(cheap here,its a national institution almost,in my country,one of The healthiest substances on the planet) with some thin slices of fresh ginger-or I would chew the ginger.Works very well to combat nausea-and it gives a lovely authentic oriental taste to 2minute noodles stirfried with a few veggies.Ginger is king of spices imo,and as essential as salt+pepper in my kitchen.And at least here by us,dirt cheap.A big hand,idk what to call it,but many ginger growths look like a hand with fingers to me
of ginger will last for Ages in the fridge if properly covered-and you need so little to give awesome taste to a meal.
edit on 15-9-2013 by Raxoxane because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

I wouldn't eat for 5 days straight.

Then I would go to one of those lunch buffets wearing cargo pants with huge pouch pockets and load up on next weeks groceries til I had another 5 bucks. Then I would do it again.

Hey, if you in that position, you gotta do what ya gotta do.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Ohh yes b+b pudding,my mother used to make that a lot while I was growing up-so nice! I do make that too infrquently THANK YOU! For the reminder-i love this thread

If you are in a place where supermarket prepared food does work out cheaper than the individual ingredients+gas/electricity+dishliquid to clean,that could save,certainly,especially for a single person or couples.P+P(Pick'n Pay) is a national local chain that always have lovely "homestyle" cooked food,buffet-style,the traditional rice,veggie selection,meats.Also fries+russians,that type of things,and whole roast chickens.For a single person with access to fridge+freezer it makes a lot of sense to buy one chicken a week-which would also give you chicken sandwiches,to which really nothing has to be added,but most of us may have a tomato to add thinly sliced.On wholewheat/brown bread that's quite a few healthy filling sandwiches to take to work.
As everything else in my country this homecooked buffet is not dirt cheap per se,but if you got a large rice with say,their sheba(sauce made of tomato+onion primarily) and a small container of veggies you still have a healthy meal+without the meats(which tend to be tough anyway) it could be affordable.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Another thing that helps to cut costs,in my country,is buying all our veggies from "the mamas" In my country there is a vast amount of poor black women who have veggie stalls on the pavements of any city or town or hamlet-it is cheaper to buy from veggies from them than from the big chains-AND you have the glorious satisfaction of knowing beyond the shadow of a doubt that your grocery bucks are helping to support another poor who is trying to make an honest,decent living,and not some fatcat.There does'nt seem to be any by-laws in my country that prohibits this,I don't think the ANC would dare,as they would not dare pass diabolical laws that prohibit folks from growing their own veggies,as a lot of these mamas do,in their own backyards-that would be the end of them,heads on sticks style.

So in other countries,maybe the equivalent would be to go directly to a friendly farmer,and ask to buy directly from him-most farmers would surely be happy to oblige-or if you live in a place where it is allowed,buy extra-and sell the surplus yourself.
That way,even if you don't have any customers to buy even days in a row,you still have your healthy edible product to fall back on,like the mamas.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 05:11 AM
link   

I don't think I have ever cooked a whole chicken, my mother does but I have always bouht economy breast. Saves on bones lol.

I keep thinking of new things but that is great because I will very soon be in a position where I need all the advice on this thread. I won't go into too many details but at present I can easily afford even salmon but I am not ok. Soon I will be struggling on my own but I will be ok. Things will ultimately be much much better, even if there is poverty.

I'm going to just list random thoughts, as they come. I love this thread too.

Shop with friends and family to make use of 2 for 1 offers.

Pick berries if you can identify poisonous from otherwise.

Pick mushrooms from outsde, be careful not to pick magic ones (unless you intend to sell them heh heh)

Ask at bakers if anything is too browned or squashed that you could have for pennies.

Ask at butchers for offcuts or anything about to go off.

Trade things you do not like or want with friends.

Have a food buddy, once a week eat at each others house to save on leccy, washing up ect.

Collect nuts from local trees.

Coupons

Find wholistic ways to rid depression as many antidepressants make you eat a days wortth of food in one sitting.

Buy cheap supplements and snap them in half to make them go further, even if you are only getting 50% of your rda it is still more than most people.

I will think of more later if my brain comes back to life.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Too easy if you can buy X amount of days of food with X dollars.
5 weeks, 35 bucks:

2 Pancake complete mix 32oz box @ 2.98 each: 5.96
Tea, box of 100 count: 3.28
Sugar, 5 lbs: 2.98
5 Loaf of bread @ 1 each: 5
32oz oil: 2.82
2lb flour: 1.50
7 16oz pasta box @ 1 each: 7
7 cans pasta sauce @ .89 each: 6.23

Pancake mix can be made into 15+ days of food.
Pasta per box/sauce is 2 days of food for about 14 days of food.
Use flour to stretch pancake mix and/or make gravy.
Bread - used between days with gravy.
Extra sugar can be made into a crude simple syrup for pancakes.
Stretch pasta into 3 days of food using bread as a side.

7 days, 7 bucks:

Discount hot-dog packs under a buck per lb. 2 lbs: 2
2 loafs of bread 1 each: 2
Dozen vegetarian fed hen eggs (the ones with real nutrients): 3

3 lbs of pasta at 1 each: 3
3 cans of sauce at .89 each: 2.67
1 jar of instant cofee: 1

Chicken leg quarters, 5 bucks worth will last 7 days: 5
2 loafs of cheap bread: 2

edit on 15-9-2013 by ChuckNasty because: 7day stuff

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   

You can cook a small chicken real easy with an aluminum can just big enough to hold the chicken. Put in enough charcoal briquettes to cover the bottom, heat up the briquettes until they are white, wrap the chicken in foil, stick the wrapped chicken into the coffee can, or whatever can you have, and let her cook. All you really will need is a little salt and pepper, which you probably have by the hundreds lying around in your junk drawer. I actually have a couple of old empty plastic pretzel jars, full of condiment packets. I can't bare throwing them in the trash, so when they start taking up too much space in my junk drawer, they go into their appropriate, recycled container. I think you will like the ease and the meat just falls of the bones. Some call it Swinging Chicken because they place it on a hook and hang it from a tree our from the porch. Anyway it can make for a swinging good cheap meal.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   
What would I do, if I only had $1 a day to feed myself? I would probably save up my money and buy a crowbar and mask.
edit on 15-9-2013 by Visitor2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Purchase tortillas first day eat nothing
Purchase rice second day eat nothing
Purchase beans third day feast
Purchase tortillas feast

You can proly eat 4 tortillas each day. I could sustain myself for several months like this.

You'd be able to get avocado once a week and even get some meat in twice a month.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Doing it in a nutritionally sound way would be difficult. Pasta and rice might work.

Aldi's, a heavy discount food market, sells pasta at 2lbs/$1. Add a bit of sauce at $1 for 12-16oz and it could give you four meals at least.

Rice in bulk.

Protein and vitamins would be difficult. Raw beans bought in bulk could last a long time.

PB and J. Two loaves of bread, $2-3. Jar of PB, $2-3. Forget the J (jelly).
You will be hungry all the time, but you could make two "meals" a day with that.

That's all I can think of. I would probably end up stealing food.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   

NightSkyeB4Dawn

You can cook a small chicken real easy with an aluminum can just big enough to hold the chicken. Put in enough charcoal briquettes to cover the bottom, heat up the briquettes until they are white, wrap the chicken in foil, stick the wrapped chicken into the coffee can, or whatever can you have, and let her cook. All you really will need is a little salt and pepper, which you probably have by the hundreds lying around in your junk drawer. I actually have a couple of old empty plastic pretzel jars, full of condiment packets. I can't bare throwing them in the trash, so when they start taking up too much space in my junk drawer, they go into their appropriate, recycled container. I think you will like the ease and the meat just falls of the bones. Some call it Swinging Chicken because they place it on a hook and hang it from a tree our from the porch. Anyway it can make for a swinging good cheap meal.

How much does a chicken cost? Can't hunt or trap, need to purchase it.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by kmb08753

A chicken is 3-5 bucks here in southern GA.

Edit: I'd stay away from bulk white rice. Zero nutrients - only nutrients come from a powder they add after processing. Good source of carbs and incomplete proteins and the ability to absorb flavors is the only thing it has going for it.
edit on 15-9-2013 by ChuckNasty because: rice

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   

People can go for like 40 days without eating. it makes perfect sense too. Because back in the olden days ya it was very common for someone to go without eating any decent meal for weeks at a time. I think it's only like over the last 200 years or so that things started to change. They only invented breakfast in America in something like the 1920's. then after that we started thinking we need 3 meals a day, when really we don't at all. It's no wonder we're so fat. The average person could easily get by on 1 meal a day. Easily! They'd be so much healthier for doing so too. But it's all just conditioning I think. And then that also conditions your body to get hungry when it really doesn't "need" all that extra food. I know someone who fasted for 30 days and did it on 2 occasions.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   

spartacus699

People can go for like 40 days without eating. it makes perfect sense too. Because back in the olden days ya it was very common for someone to go without eating any decent meal for weeks at a time. I think it's only like over the last 200 years or so that things started to change. They only invented breakfast in America in something like the 1920's. then after that we started thinking we need 3 meals a day, when really we don't at all. It's no wonder we're so fat. The average person could easily get by on 1 meal a day. Easily! They'd be so much healthier for doing so too. But it's all just conditioning I think. And then that also conditions your body to get hungry when it really doesn't "need" all that extra food. I know someone who fasted for 30 days and did it on 2 occasions.

read up on living on light where you walk on grass barefoot at dusk or sunup people have gone decades without eating otherwise the body will cannibalise itself

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join